Oct 31, 2017
76957518272bac72ea5dcf99bf1eba3d.jpg

I did a lot of thinking, and these are the ones I know Rock has, some more popular than others, but all that he went to again and again in his promos:
  1. If ya smell what The Rock is cooking.
  2. Jabroni.
  3. The Rock says...
  4. It doesn't matter what your name is.
  5. Roody-poo candyass
  6. Do you like pie?
  7. Know your role and shut your mouth.
  8. Just bring it.
  9. Shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways, and stick it straight up your candy ass.
  10. And the millions...
  11. Finally, The Rock has come back to [insert city here].
  12. Check you directly into the Smackdown hotel.
  13. Layin' the Smackdown/Layeth the Smacketh down on your candyass.
  14. You absolutely suck.
  15. Who/what in the blue hell...
  16. Go one-on-one with the Great One.
  17. Make your monkeyass famous.
  18. The Rock wipes the monkey's ass with...
  19. The most electrifying man in sports entertainment today.
  20. There's no way... and The Rock means no way...
  21. The jabroni-beating, pie-eating, trailblazing, eyebrow raising
  22. The Rock is, and will forever be, the People's Champion.

Some wrestlers are lucky to have one phrase, maybe two, maybe three. Kurt Angle has "It's true it's true." Mick Foley has "Bang bang!" and "Have a nice day!" with two different characters. etc. etc. etc.

So what are the fewest number of wrestlers we could put in a group that would equal or surpass 22?

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
I would say many of those aren't catch phrases. I don't here just bring it and think of the rock? I mean the rock really has 5-6 that are truly catch phrases

Ivol

Dec 12, 2017
He does have a lot but wow, seeing them all listed like that made me realize how goddamn corny all that stuff really is. Product of it's era of course but yikes.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Jericho is probably the closest

from the Y2J stuff to YOU JUST MADE THE LIST to Le Champion… dude is always coming up with stuff as well.

Dec 30, 2020
Meanwhile Ric Flair:

WOOOOOOOO!

If you wanna BE the man, you've gotta BEAT the man!

And Ultimate Warrior

GibraystosukthedestrucithoakhoaganofatomikallideverbeendestrooooyedSKKKRRRRRRNK.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Jericho might possibly have more though it's not phrases he kept for his entire career. He'd have a lot of different things he repeated, then changed it every 2-3 years

Oct 27, 2017
Rock has a lot of sayings, which is different to me, but just as many actual catchphrases as most of the big talent.

Randy Savage had an entire way of fucking speaking that made everything he said iconic so it's a your mileage may vary thing.

Cream of the crop!

Last edited:

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Rock came up in the era where they were focused on selling shirts. He had a helluva lot of catchphrases. Plus he got a lot of mic time compared to most wrestlers. I could see Jericho getting close at least.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
How did we reach a point where a carny wrestler became a successful movie star and not a good actor? I blame those WWE movies Vince still pushes.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think you might be able to mix Austin, Flair, and Hogan and have as many.

Jim Ross or the King probably has as many on their own

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Jabroni is not a Rock catchphrase you mark.

I think it's fair to say he popularized the term in the late 90s/early 2000s or whenever it was.

Regardless, looking at that list, it looks like a bunch or catchphrases (or terms, you pedants :p) that would be edgy to a 14 year old but sanitized for a soccer mom (like most of the attitude era)

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, well let's see what is the Hulkster famous for saying?

1. Whatcha gonna do, when Hulkamania runs wild on you
2. Eat your vitamins, say your prayers
3. Brother
4. Jack
5. Dude
6. Er... Uhhhh you know what, never mind. I think that's far enough.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching The Rock in the late 90s/early 2000s and I never thought he was exciting in the ring. His move set was boring. He was more of a Hulk Hogan type with the theatrics.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You only need one catch phrase to be the best, and it's "wooo!"
"To be the man you've got to beat the man! And I'm the man!"

"The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line."

"I'm every woman's dream and every man's nightmare."

"If you don't like it. Learn to love it!"

"Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair!"

Etc. Etc.

Actually Ric Flair might have more catchphrases than the rock now that I'm thinking about it.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
He does have a lot but wow, seeing them all listed like that made me realize how goddamn corny all that stuff really is. Product of it's era of course but yikes.

It's not really about the lines themselves, it's how The Rock would say and present them. There's a big difference between an average wrestler saying these lines, vs The Rock speaking it.

It applies to any great actor that can make an otherwise crappy script sound great.

Yeah, Rock was a pretty basic wrestler on the mat. He was always a voice that could do a match.

tumblr_pw94i5SGxz1w0433po1_250.gif

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
"To be the man you've got to beat the man! And I'm the man!"

"The Stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun!"

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line."

"I'm every woman's dream and every man's nightmare."

"If you don't like it. Learn to love it!"

"Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair!"

Etc. Etc.

Actually Ric Flair might have more catchphrases than the rock now that I'm thinking about it.
MY WATCH COSTS MORE THAN YOUR HOUSE!!!

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hmm, well let's see what is the Hulkster famous for saying?

1. Whatcha gonna do, when Hulkamania runs wild on you
2. Eat your vitamins, say your prayers
3. Brother
4. Jack
5. Dude
6. Er... Uhhhh you know what, never mind. I think that's far enough.
that doesn't work for me brother

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
As good as The Rock is, he's not the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. There is only one true excellence of execution, and that is The Hitman.

The Rock also put on the worst sharpshooter I've ever seen till this day. Idk why he used it as it didn't fit his wrestling style either, on top of it looking like complete shit which in some ways buried the move.

Jericho had some failed lame catchphrases that he couldn't get over for good reason. Remember "Get it, Got it, Good"? Lmfao

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Jericho had some failed lame catchphrases that he couldn't get over for good reason. Remember "Get it, Got it, Good"? Lmfao
Wasn't that the New Age Outlaws? Unless Jericho also did it.

whatculture.com

15 Worst Catchphrases In Wrestling History

Just because you repeatedly say something, that doesn't mean it's good.

For sheer number of catchphrases to match The Rock, you'd probably have to start with Jericho and work your way down. I'm not familiar with his entire library, but with so many gimmicks, he must have AT LEAST half the number Rocky has. From there, it's just about finding wrestlers with really memorable gimmicks.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't that the New Age Outlaws? Unless Jericho also did it.

whatculture.com

15 Worst Catchphrases In Wrestling History

Just because you repeatedly say something, that doesn't mean it's good.

For sheer number of catchphrases to match The Rock, you'd probably have to start with Jericho and work your way down. I'm not familiar with his entire library, but with so many gimmicks, he must have AT LEAST half the number Rocky has. From there, it's just about finding wrestlers with really memorable gimmicks.
They both tried getting it over lol. I totally forgot about rooty tootie booty. Damn, Jericho really had some stinkers.
www.sescoops.com

The Miz Surpasses Honky Tonk Man, Chris Jericho's Failed Catchphrases (Video)

The Miz becomes 3rd longest reigning Intercontinental Champion The Miz took to Twitter today to announce that he has now surpassed the Honky Tonk Man as

Drea

Banned
Jul 30, 2021
I remember watching The Rock in the late 90s/early 2000s and I never thought he was exciting in the ring. His move set was boring. He was more of a Hulk Hogan type with the theatrics.
This is such a 2002 opinion. The rock was a great storyteller and seller in the ring. He was excellent at ring Psychology. Just because he doesn't do a million flips does not mean he is not good in the ring.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of those are not his true catchphrases, and if you are going to be that loose about what a catchphrase is, several other wrestlers are at the Rock's level