bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
man, loving the concept of this game. but playing with gamepad on psvr is pure torture.

i play this while sitting and maybe my camera position is not ideal or something. but the intricate hand movements the game requires driving me nuts, i constantly run out of actual space while turning, twisting levers etc.
feels like its designed for vr controllers.

anyone else playing this with gamepad?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I have it, but I haven't played it yet. Been occupied with Doom Eternal, Alyx, and Borderlands 3. With Doom out of the way, and Alyx soon to follow, I'll hopefully have time to give this a go.

Loved the first couple of games that were non-VR. If it is as good as those but with more immersion, I'll be happy.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
man, loving the concept of this game. but playing with gamepad on psvr is pure torture.

i play this while sitting and maybe my camera position is not ideal or something. but the intricate hand movements the game requires driving me nuts, i constantly run out of actual space while turning, twisting levers etc.

It is 100% designed for VR controllers.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Wow, didn't know this exist until I saw this thread. Now I immediately want to buy it for PSVR.

Is the PSVR version good technically? How's the resolution and optic in comparison to other platforms?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, didn't know this exist until I saw this thread. Now I immediately want to buy it for PSVR.

Is the PSVR version good technically? How's the resolution and optic in comparison to other platforms?

Honestly there wasn't a huge difference between the Quest and PCVR versions from what I played, so PS4 should be plenty fine.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah the pad is supported but not really well compared to the Move, it's not you. I hope they will improve this because the game is great.

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
am i only one thinking of the movie the room was getting a vr game when i miss read that.
Not a VR game, but be sure to check out The Room adventure game.
the-room-tribute-game.gif

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah the pad is supported but not really well compared to the Move, it's not you. I hope they will improve this because the game is great.

yeah id wish they made move controller required, instead of half-assed gamepad support.
i would know not to purchase it then. its pretty much unplayable for me.
at this state, its 30$ down the drain for me or i have to fork another 100$ for move controllers.
hoping for a patch.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I've played this a bit on PSVR and it's really great. Can't wait to play more.

I personally had no problem with it but my gf felt VR sickness a lot with this one (even though it only has teleportation).

Anyways, this and Paper Beast, what a strong week for PSVR.

If you had to choose one, would you recommend picking up Paper Beast or The Room?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Refunded on Quest.

The game is great but until (unless?) they fix the controls by providing either free locomotion or even teleporting but with proper room scale (atm the space you can move in is ridiculously tiny) I won't play it again. As far as locomotion's implementation, it handles itself like first gen DK1 games did. At least freakin' provide the option, they couldn't find a more elegant solution to focus on the interactive props/sections?

Everything else I love. Love. Unfortunately that issue is enough to ruin it for me.
Hopefully I'll be back soon.

I don't judge a game's merits by their longevity or lack of, but 30€ for a 4 hour game with no replayability is a bit much... but I'm used to VR releases being overpriced (and especially so on Quest).

Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up. Huge fun of the previous games in the series, and if you like any of them The Room VR seems like an absolute no-brainer. The game is totally in tune with what the games have done well in the past, but I have been a bit surprised so far by how lenient it has been with regards to the VR implementation; like, it's pretty clear that despite what VR is capable of doing they wanted to strike a good balance of interaction but keeping things mostly easy -- you don't need to like, learn around the boxes and investigate really closely in places. In the previous games, they hid small details and puzzles everywhere making solving some puzzles an exercise in "what the fuck did I miss" style hot-spot hunting. This isn't here, despite VR being a reasonably interesting place for it: the puzzles are all relatively clear about what you need to do, and the explorable places are clearly marked.

All The Room titles are short, and most of them are cheap (especially now), but of course The Room VR is a premium right now. Whether the cost is worth the length is up for debate. Had Half-Life: Alyx not happened, I think the quality here would be seen as reasonably high, but after coming off the high of Alyx the mechanical implementation of just about everything here feels par for the course, but no better. I'd have liked to see a bit more interaction, and a bit more physicality in the game world. For instance, you can grab items and just shove them inside surfaces; it doesn't seem like an unreasonable ask to get a bit more physical presence here, especially for the price.

In short: if you're done with Alyx, and you love puzzle games and need another VR fix, I don't see how anyone could say no to this despite the premium.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing on the Oculus Quest through the Quest LInk. Loving every moment of it. (not loving how much of a pain in the ass it is to stream through the Link, since Audio Mirroring isn't working for me. :( )

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah id wish they made move controller required, instead of half-assed gamepad support.
i would know not to purchase it then. its pretty much unplayable for me.
at this state, its 30$ down the drain for me or i have to fork another 100$ for move controllers.
hoping for a patch.
I agree that's dishonest, so a fraud. Maybe on Reddit or here people could side to write and sign something to the publisher, the PSN and the studio.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You finished it before refunding it?

No, you can't do that on Oculus, you'd get denied your refund's request.

I've played less than 1 hour.
4 hours is the average I got from the Oculus Store's reviews. A colleague of mine beat it in less than 4 hours. Is it longer than that in your experience?

Regardless, as I've said longevity is not something that has ever swayed my purchases one way or the other, and I think I've made myself clear that is not the reason I refunded the game, at all.

I just think the game is a tad pricey that's all.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I finished it last night. It was a solid 6 hour run and i loved every minute of it.
Great looking environments, clever puzzles, spooky but not actually scary atmosphere.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm playing on an Index and wish I could press a button to "interact" instead of having to press my fingers against the controller. I couldn't find any option to change this, and wish I could just map it to the trigger on the back. Am I missing something?
I think most VR games rely on the Steam VR input mapping for that, if you open the SteamVR interface through the menu button on your controller there should be a controller config button that lets you define some super in-depth settings (like the exact amount of trigger pull to activate something).

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Completed the fourth room this morning. Wonderful presentation throughout with some appealing effects with pre-calculated physics and such. Ambient was very good.

I actually had to use my first hint in that room and it involved the initial usage of a Tarot card. As usual with these things it came down to how well I had observed some aspects...

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
So game has been completed. A really lovely surprise, especially as I didn't know the series (which I am new to) was headed to VR but I saw some words about it on launch day (which made me put up this thread).

The game is neatly tied together and it really respects the users time and comfort. There's no annoying tutorials, lengthy cutscenes, severe loading or anything of that kind. Even the credits accessed from the menu lasts about 20 seconds. Within a minute you are solving puzzles and it's just raw gameplay for the duration which was ~6-7 hours in my case. I played the whole game sitting in my couch which was a nice after having dedicated a dozen standing hours to HL:A w/squats and frantic movements earlier in the week. The node based navigation makes it less frustrating to solve puzzles and snap turning ensures that practically everyone should be able to play it.

Lovely graphics and effects with a sharp image on my Quest. Interaction was responsive and the UX elegant. I have one caveat in that I wish the lenses/binoculars could remain switched on when moving around. Great ambient and binaural sound effects. I had a really good time.

With a HTC Deluxe Audio Strap attached to my Quest ('FrankenQuest' setup) it was the no-brainer platform for me to play this game on as longer gameplay sessions were fine. Otherwise I would consider another headset.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it today. I thought the first quarter or so of the game was pretty mundane, but once you hit the church it gets better and better and has some really cool mechanics and puzzle that benefit strongly from being in VR. Fairly great overall and definitely a must-play for fans of the series, especially the first 3 which are all on PC now.

The game is great but until (unless?) they fix the controls by providing either free locomotion or even teleporting but with proper room scale (atm the space you can move in is ridiculously tiny) I won't play it again. As far as locomotion's implementation, it handles itself like first gen DK1 games did. At least freakin' provide the option, they couldn't find a more elegant solution to focus on the interactive props/sections?
Have you played the previous Room games? This is actually how they are normally in non-VR, you would tap or click on the section you want to interact and the camera moves to it similar to Myst and old-school puzzle games. Personally I think it fits and just gets you straight to the puzzles and points of interest, even if it does feel limiting at first coming from other VR games.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Finished it today. I thought the first quarter or so of the game was pretty mundane, but once you hit the church it gets better and better and has some really cool mechanics and puzzle that benefit strongly from being in VR. Fairly great overall and definitely a must-play for fans of the series, especially the first 3 which are all on PC now.

Have you played the previous Room games? This is actually how they are normally in non-VR, you would tap or click on the section you want to interact and the camera moves to it similar to Myst and old-school puzzle games. Personally I think it fits and just gets you straight to the puzzles and points of interest, even if it does feel limiting at first coming from other VR games.

Yeah I've played and loved all of them bar Old Sins which has been sitting on my phone for ages but I still haven't beat.

The fact they did it that way on the classic games doesn't really mean anything in the context of VR and certainly doesn't excuse or make sense of Fireproof's choices.
We've come a long way since DK1 and yet this implementation feels like a first-gen VR experience. I didn't need it to innovate and move the needle forward, just to adhere to what are now the accepted standards which have been refined over the course of the last 7 years.

edit: reading reviews on the Oculus Quest store I see that I'm not alone, far from it.
Still, I want to reiterate that I find everything else about the game just great. Hopefully in the near future they'll introduce an alternative/optional method of locomotion and/or fix the too limited roomscale; I'll be there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
My wife completed this the other day as her first videogame ever. She loved it and wanted more, feeling empty once it was done.
She has played a good amount of Tetris on Gameboy in the 90's and Beat Saber on my Quest (for hours) but this is the first videogame campaign she has done.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife completed this the other day as her first videogame ever. She loved it and wanted more, feeling empty once it was done.
She has played a good amount of Tetris on Gameboy in the 90's and Beat Saber on my Quest (for hours) but this is the first videogame campaign she has done.

Strongly recommend the prior games in the series!

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
being able to look around things for clues and carry an item in one hand while moving around, really helps the immersion

I love the room, dspite not usually being into creepy horror stuff, but the intricate tactile puzzle box stuff has always been the forefront of the room (it's funny how the game called "The Room" really is more about boxes and stuff then being, what you would expect to be an escape room)

Also they do the VR controls WAY better than say, Obduction.

Is there any other really tactile puzzle adventure games for VR?

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
being able to look around things for clues and carry an item in one hand while moving around, really helps the immersion

I love the room, dspite not usually being into creepy horror stuff, but the intricate tactile puzzle box stuff has always been the forefront of the room (it's funny how the game called "The Room" really is more about boxes and stuff then being, what you would expect to be an escape room)

I streamed my entire playthrough of this game, and it REALLY feels like an amazing adaptation of all 3 of the Room games. (Some puzzleboxes like the original, some more multi-room puzzles like the 2nd, and more eldritch stuff like the 3rd). The only thing weird was the makeup/mask on the "villain" near the end was hilarious.

Overall, and amazing entry and totally worth the money.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017

It's not on Quest, but Form is another very fun, very tactile puzzle game - more abstract than The Room, but has some stunning sequences.

Amazing game. Played it all in one session and was blown away. My only issue is that it's a bit short but I'll take some DLC if there is any in the future. Don't hesitate if you enjoy puzzles and an interesting story.

playing on ps4 pro

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i bought this last night since i wanted something more chill and at first it felt like i was just teleporting between spots and putting a piece somewhere (i think the snap-on is a little too strong and easy tbh) which was worrying me, but im a good bit through the church section and its a lot better.

im playing it on the quest standalone right now, but im interested to try it with link/virtual desktop and see how the graphics compare.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it on my Index in basically one sitting. Great Game! I need more like this. I actually love that you only have certain areas you can teleport to, works great for a game like this imo.

It's not on Quest, but Form is another very fun, very tactile puzzle game - more abstract than The Room, but has some stunning sequences.

I'll give this a shot. Are there any more quality games like The Room VR?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Mum played through the Quest (and I think iPad?) version and loved the VR version.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it on my Index in basically one sitting. Great Game! I need more like this. I actually love that you only have certain areas you can teleport to, works great for a game like this imo.

I'll give this a shot. Are there any more quality games like The Room VR?
Here are some of the ones I've enjoyed. Not necessarily room escape style, but all puzzle adventure.

store.steampowered.com

Awaken on Steam

Set in beautiful worlds and designed solely for VR, Awaken is a captivating puzzle game and rhythmic music experience. Become an architect of light, awaken the universe and bring back the stars. Awaken features both a campaign mode and a level creation mode to build puzzles and challenge friends.

store.steampowered.com

Machine Learning: Episode I on Steam

Machine Learning: Episode is a first person arcade puzzle game built for HTC Vive. You play as an A.I. robot created in DARPA laboratory in the near future. One of the scientists is here to test your physical, perception and cognitive skills. By using the power of room-scale VR and Vive controllers

store.steampowered.com

Down the Rabbit Hole on Steam

Down the Rabbit Hole is a VR adventure set in Wonderland prior to Alice's arrival. You will guide a girl who is looking for her lost pet by solving puzzles, uncovering secrets and making choices about the story along the way.

store.steampowered.com

The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed on Steam

Embark on the sci-fi epic that started it all at the dawn of modern VR, setting standards for roomscale movement and interaction for years to come. Winner of over 30 awards including "VR Game of the Year", The Gallery is VR's premier adventure series.

store.steampowered.com

Moss on Steam

Moss™ is an action-adventure puzzle game from Polyarc tailor-made for the VR platform. It combines classic components of a great game—compelling characters, gripping combat, and captivating world exploration—with the exciting opportunities of VR. Now bundle with the soundtrack.

store.steampowered.com

Obduction on Steam

A new sci-fi adventure from Cyan, the creators of Myst. Abducted far across the universe, you find yourself on a broken alien landscape with odd pieces of Earth. Explore, uncover, solve, and find a way to make it home.

store.steampowered.com

The Talos Principle VR on Steam

The Talos Principle VR is a virtual reality version of Croteam's critically acclaimed first-person puzzle game in the tradition of philosophical science fiction.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Here are some of the ones I've enjoyed. Not necessarily room escape style, but all puzzle adventure.

store.steampowered.com

Awaken on Steam

Set in beautiful worlds and designed solely for VR, Awaken is a captivating puzzle game and rhythmic music experience. Become an architect of light, awaken the universe and bring back the stars. Awaken features both a campaign mode and a level creation mode to build puzzles and challenge friends.

store.steampowered.com

Machine Learning: Episode I on Steam

Machine Learning: Episode is a first person arcade puzzle game built for HTC Vive. You play as an A.I. robot created in DARPA laboratory in the near future. One of the scientists is here to test your physical, perception and cognitive skills. By using the power of room-scale VR and Vive controllers

store.steampowered.com

Down the Rabbit Hole on Steam

Down the Rabbit Hole is a VR adventure set in Wonderland prior to Alice's arrival. You will guide a girl who is looking for her lost pet by solving puzzles, uncovering secrets and making choices about the story along the way.

store.steampowered.com

The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed on Steam

Embark on the sci-fi epic that started it all at the dawn of modern VR, setting standards for roomscale movement and interaction for years to come. Winner of over 30 awards including "VR Game of the Year", The Gallery is VR's premier adventure series.

store.steampowered.com

Moss on Steam

Moss™ is an action-adventure puzzle game from Polyarc tailor-made for the VR platform. It combines classic components of a great game—compelling characters, gripping combat, and captivating world exploration—with the exciting opportunities of VR. Now bundle with the soundtrack.

store.steampowered.com

Obduction on Steam

A new sci-fi adventure from Cyan, the creators of Myst. Abducted far across the universe, you find yourself on a broken alien landscape with odd pieces of Earth. Explore, uncover, solve, and find a way to make it home.

store.steampowered.com

The Talos Principle VR on Steam

The Talos Principle VR is a virtual reality version of Croteam's critically acclaimed first-person puzzle game in the tradition of philosophical science fiction.
Cool thanks mate! I actually, played Moss, obduction and talos principle already, though I'll make sure to sift through the others