Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up in the Northeast in the 80s, I never personally ran into this with my own family. I do remember the Satanic Panic Phil Donahue episodes and the rash of news stories of "experts" recovering suppressed memories in children that resulted in innocent daycare workers being accused/convicted of abusing children as part of "Satanic rituals". People had their lives unnecessarily ruined because of this nonsense.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
My family (uncles and aunts) used to say I was part of a Satanic group when I was a teenager. Basically because I wear all black and listen to metal. They weren't inherently wrong but they weren't right either. It's just their depiction of Satanic was very twisted.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
The Satanic Panic was a bit before my time, I think. My father had to put up with it as a child though, never had the details explained to me too thoroughly but he definitely watched the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon as a youth and definitely had to at least listen to my grandparents rant about how Dungeons and Dragons was evil at some point. For what it's worth my father grew up into adult life happily gushing about the Harry Potter movies, doesn't give a flying flip about all the Pokemon games I own, and expresses cheerful support of my newfound interest in getting into Dungeons and Dragons myself, so clearly the attempt to steer him away from the devil's works in his youth just bounced off.

Some of the antitheist hot takes popping into this thread WHEW

NewImage50.png

"Scientology"

Weeeeeeeeeell you know what they say, a broken clock is right twice a day.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend that believes the movie 'Zootopia' is a cartoony way to introduce people to the pedophile agenda. What with predator and prey being able to live together in harmony.

My family (uncles and aunts) used to say I was part of a Satanic group when I was a teenager. Basically because I wear all black and listen to metal. They weren't inherently wrong but they weren't right either. It's just their depiction of Satanic was very twisted.
I'm curious to know what their depiction of Satanic was, and what the right depiction of Satanic is?

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Lol, reading this thread, America sure can be crazy sometimes.
While a lot of people in my country is very religious, it wasn't a thing over here except some hardcore nutcases who were against metal music and video games.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My middle school principal stepped over the line a few points... I wish he had been called out a bit harder.

They banned a lot of band T-shirts because of connections to the devil. This was a public school in 1996, and we couldn't wear Nine Inch Nail shirts, Tool, or a lot of basically heavy metal stuff.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness basically anything and everything was demonic or Satanic. The Smurfs, Lucky Charms, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Yugioh, anything anime, the Matrix, hard rock metal music, Yoga, meditating, you know name it. So of course that led to a lot of guilt associated as a kid when I would engage in these things and then go to Church only to be told that God hated people who did the things he displeased.

People laugh off this sorta thing but it can be pretty damaging to a kids development, carrying that guilt forward in life until they finally are able to break out of that original way of thinking and reasoning.

I'm still messed up by it. I'm 38.

To add, I'm still subscribed to the same faith. Don't wanna let it go, because it has helped me get through some dark times. But I want to let go of the people who partake in it. Or at least, not share this part of my life with them anymore

It's why I have trouble attending church nowadays.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The Satanic Scare was a bit too early in the '80s for me to be aware of it, but also Christianity is and was a bit less extreme in Canada, so it didn't have nearly as much of an impact.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Okay, here's something that's always confused me.

Can someone explain what these things were actually supposed to be doing to those that watched/listened/played with them? Like I get the whole "it's different and scary and we need a boogieman" aspect of it all, but I never understood what specifically would happen to a person watching Harry Potter, or playing D&D or what have you.
I've even gone through some of those Christian scare films trying to understand it, but they're so vague about everything.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
The only taste of Satanic Panic I ever got was shit loads of bullying in high school. My friends and I were all goths and metalheads. That plus small townism pretty much made us full-fledged Satanists :p

I resented it a lot back then, but now I'm in the Satanic Temple. Kinda weird how it circled around, but I can't complain :')

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Oh yeah. Nearly everything Pokémon I owned as a kid had to be secret from my mother and pen & paper games were a no-no. Couldn't watch Harry Potter for a while either.

Call of Duty was very cool and allowed though.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loaned my car to my dad one day and when he brought it back he had take off my rock band bumper stickers etc and put on religious stuff.

He also one day invited me to go see a movie and took me to a religious play at his church instead.

Mad at the time but find it all funny now. He was funny like that.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
More or less, though in this case with some actual incidents as the basis, in a sense. Actually, two of them.

In Germany, there were two murders (one in 1993 and one in 2001) that were highly scandalised and talked about in the media for months, both (among other things) because they were quickly labelled as "satanic murders", even by the police.

I'm a bit too young to really remember the aftermath of the first one, but those two are the reasons the "Satanic Panic" got a nice revival from the mid-90s to the early 00s in Germany (well, roughly until 9/11 because then there were less silly things to worry about).

On 29 April 1993, three members of the German neo-nazi Black Metal band Absurd (who were all still in high school in Sondershausen, Thuringia) murdered one of their fellow colleagues, probably because he really wanted to be part of their group but they didn't want him. Black Metal, murder and neo-nazis rings a bell? This murder actually predates the much more (in)famous one, i.e., Varg Vikernes of Burzum murdering Euronymous (or Øystein Aarseth) of Mayhem by a few months.
Obviously, all of that has nothing to do with satanism, especially because Absurd aren't one of the "satanic" Black Metal Bands (as in: bands with lyrics about that topic). If only they were.

But who cares about all these details? Satanists were a thing in the media now and all of that always lingered in the background (Varg didn't help, of course). Then came 2001.

On 6 July 2001, Daniel and Manuela Ruda (a couple) lured one of their work colleagues into their flat in Witten, North-Rhine Westphalia and stabbed him 66 times, hit him with a hammer and used a machete to cut off his head. Allegedly they had sex beside the corpse afterwards, but that could just be part of their story (which I'll come to soon).

What followed was a week-long chase after "satanists", because beside the mangled corpse, police found inverted crosses, skulls, a coffin and the phrase "When Satan lives" (in English) on a window in the flat. They were finally caught in Jena, Thuringia, some 400 km from the scene of the murder.

What followed now was probably one of the most sensationalised media campaigns about a murder in Germany's younger history. Now, the reason why this murder was called "satanic" wasn't all that far-fetched. After all, the murderers actually tried to perpetuate every stereotype they could think of. Them having sex next to the murder victim wasn't part of the investigation, they said so of their own volition. They also claimed to be vampires (i.e., drinking each other's blood, which is probably true).

And then there was the music. No, they weren't in a band, they just liked music. And no, this time, it wasn't a metal band, though at least one public broadcaster(!) called it that in one of its shows.
The Rudas liked ":wumpscut:", an Industrial act that was pretty influential in the Goth scene of the late 90s and early 00s. At least in Germany, the Goth scene was pretty big during that time (and AFAIK, is still more active today than elsewhere). Well, you know what followed.

That public broadcaster show calling wumpscut Black Metal? That was the least of this report's problems. Unfortunately, it's no longer to be found on the web (at least as far as I know), but the whole thing was what has to be one of the most vile pieces of media ever produced on a, all in all, very "harmless" subculture.
It starts with "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. There are people that live as if they were already dead" and it only goes downhill from there. "[...] they worship everything diabolical. And sometimes, they confuse their bizarre death fantasies with reality. A gruesome murder in Witten suddenly shines a bright light on a part of our society in which superstition, hate, sadism, and nazi-worshipping are united in a murderous mixture."

Yeah.

The guy behind wumpscut reacted in his own way to the craziness surrounding his project in mid-2001: he took lots of samples from that report, put some other stuff around the murder (police press conferences etc.) in it too and made it a song -- called "Ruda". This is it, but unfortunately, unless you understand German, this will tell you very little:

Yes, the pictures in there are all of the murderer couple or related things. That's not done by wumpscut himself and I don't really like it, but it's the only source of these snippets still available. OTOH, Varg Vikernes was turned into a meme, so maybe that's just the way it goes.

Okay, that's a nice story, but how was I affected by it?

Well, in 2001, I was in high school in a city not that far from Witten. Of course, that "satanic murder" made quite an impact. We discussed it in class, actually, followed by a general discussion on "satanism" (lol). There was a talk show on some trashy TV channel (yeah, even trashier than the one mentioned above) that had a moderator pitched against some "satanists" (who just looked like metalheads to me) which we watched in school. At least at the end, everyone including the teacher(!) agreed that the "satanists" easily won the debate.

Also, I was in a phase were I discovered my own tastes, among other things, in music. Some "Black metal band" (lol) that apparently could turn you into a murderer? How exactly was that supposed to work? Well, I always loved to experiment, so I experimented on myself. And I'm happy to say I still haven't killed anyone (gruesomely or otherwise), but the music and general "subculture" has stuck. I wouldn't really call myself a Goth but I don't mind if other people do so. It's mostly "Metal guy" nowadays anyway because sadly (or maybe gladly), the Goth scene isn't really on people's minds today, even if it still exists here, as I said. I probably listen to more Metal today than really Goth-y stuff, so that fits the bill equally as well.

My parents are both atheists and thus never took any of the satanic stuff seriously, so I only encountered all of that at school.

Last edited:

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
My folks were pretty lax, but for some reason wouldn't let me play D&D. Maybe they read some scare pieces about kids going insane and/or killing each other. They weren't keen on the heavy metal, but it's wasn't forbidden either.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had a friend growing up whose parents wouldn't get him a Nintendo unless he could show them that it would help him grow closer to God. He eventually convinced them to buy him an NES and Bible Adventures. It's literally the only good that game has ever done.

For me, my parents bought into the idea that Dungeons and Dragons was satanic. They made me promise not to ever, ever play it. And I didn't. Instead, I played GURPS and Palladium and the Star Wars Tabletop Roleplaying game.

My mom also asked me if Zelda was anything like D&D. I just told her no.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Oh yeah, very religious family and town. I got hit pretty hard with it because I liked D&D and fantasy.

I was called a "devil worshiper" multiple times on the bus to school when I got into Dragonlance and would read on the bus. At the time, I was an extremely devout Christian. I went to church for sermon and youth groups three times a week. I was in the choir. I was an usher. Etc. So, I just thought the whole thing was extremely stupid. I never made the connection to how reading a fake story about an elf fighting a dragon had anything to do with real world religion.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Unfortunately, yes. After my parents became "born again" when I was a tween, it seemed like everything short of fucking breathing became Satanic for a number of years. (And yes, my parents passed out those stupid Chick tracts every year on Halloween.)

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Grew up in rural Texas, so yeah. I had a friend whose mom wouldn't let him play Final Fantasy 4 because it had "black magic" in it. I also had a separate friend get mad at me for playing Magic the Gathering because one of the cards was called the Lord of the Pit.

It was all very silly in hindsight.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I attended a private Christian school of the evangelical variety. Parents of many of my peers couldn't watch Pokemon or Harry Potter. One of my friends had it so extreme, he couldn't watch Disney movies containing magic, like Aladdin. Nor could he watch the Fairly Oddparents.

Apart from his family, every other parent that forbade Harry Potter hypocritically allowed Lord of the Rings for some reason. None of us could wrap our heads around what made it exceptional.

Feb 1, 2018
I had muslim friends in elementary school who weren't allowed to consume Harry Potter and MTG content because sorcery/magic is haram. Pokemon was also frowned upon, I forgot why though. It wasn't because magic, I think because making animals fight is a form of gambling.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Funny enough not growing up in the 80s despite being a metal fan and DnD player.

It was the last 90s early 2000s I got hit with it. I was reading a RPG book on break at my shift at a grocery store when my Manager came in and saw it and started telling me only book worth reading was the Bible and that Satan had a hold on me.

My 15 minute break turned into 45 minutes of listening to him Babble on about how freedom of religion was only supposed to be for Christians, how the devil was basically behind near all popular culture, Etc.

Best part was I got written up for being late for coming back from my break

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I remember, somewhere in the late 90's, in one of many panel-tv-shows, a norweigan academic - and, if I recall, a professor - talking earnestly about satanic rituals as a real thing, and who - as I remember it - leaned into her academic credentials to it being a real thing, and something that she essentially built most of her career on.

I don't remember her name, but whenever this "so, what the fuck was going on in the supposedly dark underbelly of the 90's?" bubbles up to the surface, I occasionally think of her, and what a pathetic time that was.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
My mom was really worried about Dungeon and Dragons at one point, but eventually she gave up on that. She's still very nervous about anyone playing with Ouija boards, despite them being fucking toys.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Born in 89 so missed most of it, although I did see a news report on churches that were burning Pokémon goods in the 90s or early 2000s.

My mom liked Harry Potter as much as I did, and the only time she though Pokémon might have been slipping kids subliminal messages was during the little pre-movie cartoon that showed during the first movie, because apparently there were parts where all the kids were laughing at nothing and the adults in the theater were giving each other wide-eyed, confused looks.

Jun 20, 2019
My dad destroyed my copies of Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link with a screwdriver because they had magic and demons in them.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I had to sneak watch dungeon s and dragons cartoon because it was satanic. My grandma got most of her info from things like the 700 club and TBN so pretty much everything was the devil's work.
I also grew up in the scary time where people were often accused of performing satanic rituals including sex acts and sacrifices.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
My mom locked up my Magic cards and forbid me from playing them, lol. She later threw them away I think.

I love me some Magic today though.

This is an interesting thread because the same thing happened to my older brother, and it's funny because he now has a large portion of his life savings put primarily into rare ones and I wonder how much it caused that.

Also, yeah, shit was everywhere in Montana. Feel bad for the folks who got blacklisted from Pokémon.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Never happened to me. All the news about Pokemon/D&D/Harry Potter/everything fun being satanic were treated as laughinstock here in Italy. Satanic music was taken a bit more seriously, especially Marilyn Manson when he was at peak popularity. My parents never had problems with it though, my dad even bought me a Morbid Angel cd for my birthday (he hated the music but had no problem with the lyrics - the fact that it was all English with growling vocals probably helped!).

The part that really blows my mind is how something as cutesy and harmless as Pokemon could be passed as satanic. At least D&D and Magic have demons, but Pokemon??? no, Charizard doesn't count as a demon.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I heard about it growing up but only in the news or whatever.

My parents (my mom especially) is a devout Catholic and even she never dabbled in the whole "that's the devil's work" thing