Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This is something I've been thinking about for a while as one of what feels like the few people keeping up-to-date on Apple Arcade. It's been striking how many SEGA projects have released on the service, and with the recent release of Puyo Puyo: Puzzle Pop - the first mainline Puyo Puyo release in almost a decade - it's been at the front of my mind. So, when Midori tweeted the below info I can't say I was too surprised:

View: https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1775724395920560404?newtwitter=true

For those not keeping track, Apple Arcade has received:
-A brand new ChuChu Rocket in ChuChu Rocket Universe (delisted)
-The best version of the new Samba de Amigo (exclusive story mode and additional songs)
-Sonic Dream Team
-An exclusive Sonic Racing
-Puyo Puyo: Puzzle Pop

...and more is on the way, apparently. Not just the upcoming Sega All-Stars game, but apparently there's a Super Monkey Ball game coming too; maybe like Samba de Amigo, it will be the definitive version of the upcoming Switch game. I had a hunch, so I asked, and got a confirmation.

View: https://twitter.com/MbKKssTBhz5/status/1775740324360454578

Needless to say, it's a trend, and Apple Arcade has suddenly become the platform for SEGA games that most people don't even realize exists. It's wild how this has kinda just happened sorta silently?

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Apple Arcade on … like all Apple devices. Not sure why you've singled out the ATV 4k

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
where the rpgs tho

a9bdc1b11c4088e772dcd9bbc4f3cc3a.gif

dont actually make the next sakura wars an apple arcade thing oh my god please

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
More JRPGs and they will get me easily, Fantasian is tempting but i need more....
As soon as i saw "SEGA Dreamcast 2" my heart said "Skies of Arcadia...."

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me a bit sad as a non-iPhone user who also likes Sega's more colorful games and games with that late 90s/00s vibe. If anyone can help me out: what would be the cheapest, non-terrible way to experience Apple Arcade games if I don't own any Apple devices currently?

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
I'm hoping Apple stays on course with their initiative with Apple Arcade and the current direction their hardware is going in. If Apple commits to incremental performance gains and metal feature sets every year we could find users within the 2-3 upgrade cycle with devices that can play triple A games natively on device as a baseline standard. Apple snapping off some of that 150+ billion in cash reserves to entice developers to make games they wouldn't make otherwise could only work in everyone's favor after the exclusivity ends. It'll be much cheaper to port an already developed game to other platforms then convincing risk averse investors to take a chance on a full blown development cycle of older niche IP.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping Apple stays on course with their initiative with Apple Arcade and the current direction their hardware is going in. If Apple commits to incremental performance gains and metal feature sets every year we could find users within the 2-3 upgrade cycle with devices that can play triple A games natively on device as a baseline standard. Apple snapping off some of that 150+ billion in cash reserves to entice developers to make games they wouldn't make otherwise could only work in everyone's favor after the exclusivity ends. It'll be much cheaper to port an already developed game to other platforms then convincing risk averse investors to take a chance on a full blown development cycle of older niche IP.
I remember reading this:
mobilegamer.biz

Inside Apple Arcade: axed games, declining payouts, disillusioned studios – and an uncertain future - Mobilegamer.biz

Apple’s game subscription service seems to be on auto-pilot after the tech giant “cancelled a shitload of projects and pissed off a lot of people,” our sources say. And now there are whispers of another reboot.

So iunno what ends up happening - the Sega stuff percolating may be part of that rumoured reboot. I'll always be thankful they funded Fantasian at the very least.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Been saying this for a while now. I actually bought a cheap iPhone last month solely for Apple Arcade (I'm never switching from Android lol) because I've enjoyed Sega's output on there so much and wanted a way to play them handheld.

The only one that I'd say doesn't really work the greatest with Apple TV is Samba de Amigo, you can play it with a controller but it's clearly not designed around doing so. It's way more fun with a touch screen. The Switch version still has the edge if you want to play on a TV, and the VR version beats them both because the motion controls are 100% accurate which makes it ridiculously fun. The story mode is a really good excuse to play the Arcade version though, the writing is surprisingly entertaining and finally showcases the personality of all these wacky characters who have had none up until now. It's also nice that it gets all the paid DLC from the other versions as free updates.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the heads up about puyo.
I have an Apple Arcade family sub because of the other things in apple One. Apple Arcade started promisingly, but then kind of fizzled out for me.
Hopefully they keep adding new good stuff. I have an iPad Pro, iphone, Apple TV, macbook, yadda yadda… so I'm definitely the target market.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Shame they picked the only platform I won't support since you can't own anything, I love Sega and would buy everything 😐

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've used Apple Arcade on and off over the years. The library has some great stuff, but lately cooled considerably with the kind of releases I'd want to see. Lots of "+" versions of games or designed for younger audience. It still has a lot of back catalogue, but I'm curious of their direction moving forward. Oh, and I think Fantasian is very "mid" as the kids might still be saying (?) and I love an RPG!

DeciderVT

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think of my Series X as my Dreamcast successor due to the sheer amount of SEGA stuff I have on there, including BC. Apple Arcade's catalogue is too ephemeral for me.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this. And it sucks that each and every one of these games will disappear forever unless ported elsewhere.

Delisting Chu Chu is nasty work, though.

Apple and Sega habe been buddies since the 2008 version of Super Monkey Ball was the best selling game on the app store launch

it truly is
I do not follow ios emulation scene. But has anyone been able to save delisted games in ios? I do not feel confident investing in ios when they keep delisting games.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the OP is like "boy howdy Apple Arcade is getting all these Sega games that people don't even realize exist!" and one of them is already delisted. Well, no wonder no one knows about it, lol.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY

They are on course to continue delisting exclusive experiences on their platform. Hopefully they either change course or give up on Arcade.

As someone who has been using Apple products for most of my life, I will never buy something on the App Store due to their mismanagement.

bid0

Mar 22, 2022
Sega have always been on iOS, it's not really new. Monkey Ball was the first game I had on the 3G I think.

Garou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do not follow ios emulation scene. But has anyone been able to save delisted games in ios? I do not feel confident investing in ios when they keep delisting games.

I think people overblow this, there are only two patterns of delisting:
a) When iOS 11 launched in 2017 32bit apps became unsupported, and a lot of Devs did not update their apps, so they became unavailable. That was a one time thing though and likely will never happen again, yet people still bring this up to this day. If the Devs had updated their apps they would still be available.

b) If the contract for the game with Apple Arcade runs out. That's between Apple and the Devs if the game either underperformed or the Devs have too high demands. The same happens with Netflix/Gamepass and many others, and many Devs have ported their games to other platforms as well. It's unfortunate, but on the other hand most of these games wouldn't exist in the first place if not for Apple Arcade.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My hot take is that the DreamCast 2 doesn't exist, but the PS2 was both a sequel to the PS1 and the Saturn in one.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I think people overblow this, there are only two patterns of delisting:
a) When iOS 11 launched in 2017 32bit apps became unsupported, and a lot of Devs did not update their apps, so they became unavailable. That was a one time thing though and likely will never happen again, yet people still bring this up to this day. If the Devs had updated their apps they would still be available.

b) If the contract for the game with Apple Arcade runs out. That's between Apple and the Devs if the game either underperformed or the Devs have too high demands. The same happens with Netflix/Gamepass and many others, and many Devs have ported their games to other platforms as well. It's unfortunate, but on the other hand most of these games wouldn't exist in the first place if not for Apple Arcade.
Maybe you're right. But I want a new Chu Chu Rocket, and I wanted to try Platinum Games World of Demons.

So it makes me not want to pull the trigger on an apple tv.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an old school Sega fan and maybe those games are cool but I refuse to spend any money to support an ecosystem with no option for ownership. And I avoid getting attached to any game that can be taken away from me.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the "No ownership, no deal" group of people. Chu Chu Rocket being delisted after three years and unavailable anywhere else sets a bad precedent.