Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
One kind of shocking realization is the modern episode I always refer to when talking about contemporary episodes that remind me of the classic era, "To Cur With Love", is from 2012, and is now over a decade old.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who hasnt touched Simpsons anything for 15-20 years seemed fine to me TBH. I'm sure if you were with the show the whole time it's probably pretty jarring.

edit: also burns def sounds different to my memory but smithers sounds fine? Either way I was cool with it

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was sure they were going to wrap it up around season 30 or so just on virtue these actors will start dying off (as some already have). not to be macabre and I know they're not particularly geriatric yet but time goes on, stuff happens

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Smithers and Burns both just sound so tired and defeated in that clip. Sad to watch.

I mean, I'm amazed Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are still doing Optimus Prime and Megatron at their age.

Cullen still sounded awesome as of Bumblebee, though even that was a good few years ago now. Fortunately sounding like a grizzled old grandpa kinda works in that character's favour.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Smithers and Burns both just sound so tired and defeated in that clip. Sad to watch.

Cullen still sounded awesome as of Bumblebee, though even that was a good few years ago now. Fortunately sounding like a grizzled old grandpa kinda works in that character's favour.
You mean Rise of the Beasts, right? Bumblebee he got screwed over, he basically had to do an impression of Jon Bailey's impression of him

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Smithers is pretty variable. Sometimes he's sleepy and barely there, other times he sounds just as spry as the old Smithers.

Aug 17, 2022
youre not gonna be able to replace Dan Castlenetta as Homer or Julie Kavner as Marge. (Even Castlenetta's Homer voice sounds so exhausted and tired these days)

You can easily, with about 2 minutes of youtube research. This is just one random guy, there would be hundreds of people able to replicate their voices perfectly. And even more perfectly when you consider various technical post-processing effects available now.

View: https://youtu.be/ipnLvyQTuGo?si=1KPP_J34R1xbiZDP

Jun 10, 2018
Burns sounds WAY too jolly.

Like if I didn't know that voice was coming out of the character I would have guessed it was someone doing a poor impersonation of Mr. Burns.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting back waiting to facepalm when the announcement that they improved the voices and will now always sound like the simpsons for eternity thanks to AI drops

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Not just the voices themselves are different, but the pace of the line delivery has slowed down considerably, too.

At least with Mr. Burns it kind of works because his being ancient is part of the joke.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
they cant do some sort of pitch tweaking or something like they did to Mel Brooks when he got older?

i wonder how long before they just replace them with AI voices anyway

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, they've retired some characters when their VAs passed on (Phil Hartman and Marcia Wallace) but I hear Edna's absence has been noticeable

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, well, it'll happen to you

200w.gif

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell happened to the Burns and Smithers voices? Like even with actors aging they BARELY sound like the same character at this point.
I believe Harry Shearer is pretty open about disliking still being on the show and hasn't been into the show creatively for probably twoish decades now.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
harry shearer should let it go and live off royalties. i don't know why he goes in anymore - like he literally runs out of breath in the take they used.

sorry - that sounds ageist. maybe he really really loves it and that's why he continues to voice them. i think the cast of the core family and azaria still enjoy the work but i got the impression that shearer was only in it for the paycheck these days.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get back into it but the voices are so rough - Marge especially that I cant enjoy it at all.

they desperately need to reset and recast the voices.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm amazed Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are still doing Optimus Prime and Megatron at their age.

I was actually going to bring them up. As much as I love their voices, Cullen just sounds so weak and tired as Optimus. I get the draw but it really is noticeable and time to move on.

as someone pointed out earlier, Franky on OP sounds really off for the Egghead arc. it is almost like he just had his wisdom teeth pulled.

sad because the voices are so iconic

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds like a good Simpsons gag.

"I was Montgomery Burns. I'm the boss of the power plant Fetch the dogs, Smithers."

"No."

"Can I do the voice? Bring me Homer Simpson."

"No."

"Can I at least watch?"

"No."

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
1. Both Burns and Smither sound like poor impersonators of themselves.

2. Those "jokes" weren't even close to funny. I feel like I've been hearing about the The Simpsons being "funny again". but I maintain it's gaslighting and this clip continues to prove me right.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder whether this is the kind of thing that AI could be good for. Basically feed it a load of old episodes so that it understands how the characters should sound. Then record the current actors and, in basic terms, run the recordings through a filter that brings them back in line with how they're 'supposed' to sound.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
If there was any chance of the show ending after the actors retired gracefully, it died when Disney acquired the series. They'll keep that shit running until the heat death of the universe, and recast when necessary. I do hope for a second movie, though.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Smithers sounded fine to me, I was more astonished that they are still going for "tehehe Smithers is secretly gay" jokes in 2024.

Burns is a totally different sounding character now though. He doesn't sound distinctive just out of breath.