peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
The show has gotten Kevin Michael Richardson on as a regular VA for miscellaneous African-American characters in the past decade

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
The problem for the Simpsons is that these shows normally have multiple characters voiced by the same person. If they were starting the show now then yeah, you'd have a black voice actor, maybe an Indian one, an Asian one but they aren't going to hire an Indian person just to voice Apu and they aren't going to create half a dozen new characters for this new voice actor.
Exactly, he's been doing it for 28 years. They aren't suddenly gonna bring in someone else now.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Why is "it's been happening for 28 years" an excuse for any of this to keep going? Again with the current writing staff (who have put many appalling representations of minorities in the show over the past decade) I doubt any real progress will be made, but they shouldn't get a free pass for any of this either.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The problem with Apu is a microcosm of a greater issue within The Simpsons itself of the staff working on it being outright hostile and resistant to deviation from the status quo. Be it acknowledging mistakes of the past, changing up a stale formula, booting Al Jean from his showrunner position, bringing in more female writers/directors (that they're not married to), being able to discern between legitimate criticism and tired fanboy rantings, incorporating multi-episode story arcs, aging up the characters permanently... hell, they were practically the last animated series on the planet to move into HD (a transition they finally made a little over 9 years ago).

Any time a problem comes up that impacts the status quo they either react too late or try to sweep it under the cracks and pretend it's not a thing... like how they still haven't bothered to give Bart a new teacher since Edna died, how they tried to pretend Harry Shearer's characters didn't exist when he was threatening his latest salary hold out and how they churned out half a season's worth of deathly silent episodes with some heavily recycled music cues from past episodes after they dumped Alf Clausen's orchestra in advance of finding a substitute scoring solution.

And I say all of these things while I'm still happy to have the show on the air... and I might be the only person contributing to this thread for whom this is the case. I love The Simpsons in all its incarnations and want it to be successful but this dismissive response towards the legitimate objections raised about Apu's characterization is hardly an isolated incident. This is a franchise that has existed in some capacity since 1987 and it wears its seniority as a badge of honor that means they feel they've earned the right to resist any and all feedback because they've been around for so long doing their own thing largely independent of even their own network brass.

Lastly, because we've got a unique amount of exposure towards offensive problems about the show right now, I just want to point out that THIS was considered to be "a funny joke" by this white, male, over the hill, writer's room in an episode released... why just earlier this year...

Xq7s7em.png
Because the show's primary established gay male clearly has to also want to secretly become a woman - in his 40s - despite never indicating such an inclination and it not being part of his established characterization.

Nelson also got cooked in the school furnace this week because, I suppose it's funny for kids to get burned alive. Hopefully nobody from Siberia was watching.

Last edited:

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Simpsons has always tried to counter expectations, to be anti establishment and contrarian and to play on people's prejudices to make them think.

For example, many of the Springfield authority figures are shown to be greedy, incompetent and undeserving of their status. Police chief Wiggum is lazy, fat and incompetent. Eddie is also dumb. The only cop who regularly steps up as a smart character who delivers the common sense is Lou, the black character. 30 years ago when the Simpsons began, having the black character be the voice of reason and the smart one was quite rare.

Mr Burns = greedy old white man. Kent Brockman = greedy newsreader. Mayor Quimby = corrupt, sleazy.

Dr Nick is portrayed as an incompetent sheister, Dr Hibbert is portrayed as competent, affable, reliable.

So to Apu; yes he does have a 'funny' accent and they poke fun at him and at Indian culture. But beneath this, the show plays with this by presenting Apu as a very hard working, self made man and a family man, who came to America ro better himself, who works round the clock to be a success and to provide for his family. Contrast that with the portrayal of Homer, who is fat, lazy, stupid, misses work when he feels like it. All of it is inherently taking a swipe at our expectations below the surface, even while making a joke about Vishnu on the surface.

That's not to say that people cannot or should not find Apu offensive in his general portrayal. Clearly some do and I think the show's response is weak and tone deaf. I also saw Al Jean tweeting about how the episode was going to 'upset Twitter' and it just feels like the show in Series 30 is just a troll show now. But it wasn't in Series 1 to 12ish and I genuinely believe that what I outlined in this post about their attempts at representation and portrayal were generally good natured and positive towards minorities at a time (1989-99) when many shows still weren't.

Choa

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any time a problem comes up that impacts the status quo they either react too late or try to sweep it under the cracks and pretend it's not a thing... like how they still haven't bothered to give Bart a new teacher since Edna died.

Hold up... Edna died?

Edit - and she married Ned??

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point The Simpsons really isn't relevant enough to care this much about IMO. I will say while clearly the character started off as a one dimensional caricature, I'll give them credit for at least trying to expand the character and making him effectively one of the "good guys" on the show.

I think the best thing they could do is make Apu's nephew who doesn't speak accented English a series regular or create another Indian character/family that is more modern that lives in Springfield.

That's a better way of addressing the issue, even Hari I think seemed like he didn't like the idea of killing Apu, and changing the voice now after 28 years I don't think would work great either. The writers should understand though in the early/mid 90s, at the zenith of the show's popularity, this was more of an issue and they should understand why that was.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Worst Episode Ever is a very fun, irreverent Simpson show where they watch terrible episodes to determine which episode is the actual worst episode of the show. The bottom 5 (so far):

1. S28E15 - Kamp Krustier (Ep. 107)
  2. S22E13 - The Blue and the Gray (Ep. 48)
  3. S23E12 - Moe Goes From Rags to Riches (Ep. 100)
  4. S13E08 - Sweets and Sour Marge (Ep. 98)
  5. S21E16 - The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed (Ep. 26)
I just wanted to come and say that I listened to the Kamp Krustier and discovered the episode midway through.
They weren't kidding, it was beyond garbage.
Not a single joke landed, it shat on a great Simpsons episode, had very dodgy animation to the point that even I managed to notice it and by god you have to fuck up for that to happen (took me years and an actual animator pointing to me that proportions were shit in a random Naruto episode to tell you how bad I am at noticing this).
I don't think I have ever seen anything as bad as this and the worst part is that a good writer worked on this!
I wouldn't trust anyone working on the show with trying anything related to minorities at all, they don't understand comedy after spending 30 years on it why would they understand anything related to anything?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is "it's been happening for 28 years" an excuse for any of this to keep going? Again with the current writing staff (who have put many appalling representations of minorities in the show over the past decade) I doubt any real progress will be made, but they shouldn't get a free pass for any of this either.
People are dumb

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I was directed to repost this op-ed here:
Rajiv Satyal is a Los Angeles-based comedian/host. His I AM INDIAN video, a take-off on Molson's I AM CANADIAN, has been viewed over 50 million times. Satyal has been featured in/on NBC, NPR, Nickelodeon, Netflix, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Variety, Advertising Age and The LA Times.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/apu-the-simpsons-1.4613207
I toured India with comedian and filmmaker Hari Kondabolu, so I love him not only as an artist, but also as a friend. It is in this context that I offer a critique of his documentary, The Problem with Apu, which tackles the depiction of Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons.

The documentary suggests that the way Apu is presented is offensive — a charge that writers finally addressed in Monday night's episode, where Lisa breaks the fourth wall and says, "Something that started decades ago, and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?"

Here's what I think: this documentary is well-done, and it is driven by a noble pursuit of truth and justice. But it puts forth an argument that will simply make a lot of people roll their eyes. When that happens, we actually take the progressive movement backwards.
In the trailer for the documentary, we see Kondabolu interviewing Simpsonswriter and co-executive producer Dana Gould, who says that certain accents sound funny to white Americans. Kondabolu then pops up and says, "It's funny because it's racist."

OK, seriously. You don't understand the Indian accent is funny to white people? And to other Indians? Many of us do the Indian accent in our stand-up acts to solely Indian audiences, and they laugh. The Indian accent sounds funny in the same way the German accent sounds evil. It just does — it's like when a smart person finally admits he finds farts funny. There's no way a comedian doesn't understand this concept.

One stereotype about Indians is that we lack a sense of humour. That was often the first question we received when we did press junkets throughout India: "How are you going to make Indians laugh when they can't take a joke?" That was news to me: Indians have consistently been some of my best crowds. So, by going after Apu, this documentary may be attacking one stereotype but enforcing another. Now that's irony.
If the thrust of the argument is that there were no prominent Indians in America to counter Apu's depiction at the time he was conceived, well, take a look at all of the prominent South Asian voices included this documentary: Aziz Ansari, Russell Peters, Aasif Mandvi, Sakina Jaffrey and more. Indians are killin' it in Hollywood.

The very fact that we have so many famous and successful Indians to rebut the whole concept of Apu proves the point that the way to victory is to drown him out. If the best revenge is living well, as the expression goes, then we're clearly winning.

All comedy is misdirection. But the documentary itself is misdirected: it litigates a battle against Hank Azaria, the white actor who voices Apu's character. As it is known in Hollywood, film is a director's medium. Stage is an actor's medium. And television is a writer's medium. In TV, the writers run the show. Actors are labour and producers and creators are management.
But here's the other thing: Apu already is a three-dimensional character. Yes, there are cheap shots at his expense and lame lines in the dialogue. But Apu also cracks intelligent jokes, fights against stereotypes and experiences a journey across the emotional spectrum.

Here's one example: in one Simpsons episode, Apu is completing an oral exam to gain American citizenship. When asked about the cause of the Civil War, he starts into a lengthy explanation about its multiple causes, yet is interrupted by the interviewer who says, "Just say slavery." Here, Apu proves he's much more than the guy pulling the handle on the Squishee machine; his is the smart, nuanced voice, juxtaposed with that of the lazy American who just wants to get the test over with.

Apu might have been one of the few Indian characters on television more than a quarter-century ago, but as the documentary itself points out, there's now an Indian on practically every successful contemporary show. That's incredible progress — something about which to rejoice. Let's not play the victim. Let's celebrate.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point The Simpsons really isn't relevant enough to care this much about IMO. I will say while clearly the character started off as a one dimensional caricature, I'll give them credit for at least trying to expand the character and making him effectively one of the "good guys" on the show.

I think the best thing they could do is make Apu's nephew who doesn't speak accented English a series regular or create another Indian character/family that is more modern that lives in Springfield.

That's a better way of addressing the issue, even Hari I think seemed like he didn't like the idea of killing Apu, and changing the voice now after 28 years I don't think would work great either. The writers should understand though in the early/mid 90s, at the zenith of the show's popularity, this was more of an issue and they should understand why that was.
A large part of the reason this is even an issue is because the show has run 15+ years past its expiration date. Similar to how older politicians run into issues w/ prior, formerly acceptable decisions/compromises coming back to haunt them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm partway through watching the "I Am Indian" thing that the writer of the article is credited for. It's says it's a take-off on "I Am Canadian", but I'm not seeing it. "I Am Canadian" was a commercial which said I am not any of these Canadian stereotypes. This bit doesn't do any of that, but instead, it seems like some feelgood nationalism or something? It's kind of weird.

It starts off with "I'm Indian. Just Indian. I'm not South Asian and more than Russians are North Asian." I don't have any problem with being called South Asian, though? It's just a wider net. It's like someone being called European instead of a specific country. India might the most prominent country in the region but we're not the only South Asians.

"Sure, we love our state, but there's strength in numbers. 1 out of every 6 human beings is Indian, so stop dividing us." Man, India's the place where you have dozens of national languages because every region has their own. Half the country eats rice and half of it eats bread. Hell, you've got areas that became part of India through annexation. Of course it's going to be divided.

And then he goes on to brag about all the things that India has given the world.

Also, the example he gives of Apu's three dimensionality is kind of a terrible moment to begin with. Most of the national flags of the Confederacy were placed on a white background as a symbol of white supremacy. Secession declarations themselves identify opposite to slavery as the root cause. Apu was wrong; it was just about slavery.

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
The Simpsons has always tried to counter expectations, to be anti establishment and contrarian and to play on people's prejudices to make them think.

For example, many of the Springfield authority figures are shown to be greedy, incompetent and undeserving of their status. Police chief Wiggum is lazy, fat and incompetent. Eddie is also dumb. The only cop who regularly steps up as a smart character who delivers the common sense is Lou, the black character. 30 years ago when the Simpsons began, having the black character be the voice of reason and the smart one was quite rare.

Mr Burns = greedy old white man. Kent Brockman = greedy newsreader. Mayor Quimby = corrupt, sleazy.

Dr Nick is portrayed as an incompetent sheister, Dr Hibbert is portrayed as competent, affable, reliable.

So to Apu; yes he does have a 'funny' accent and they poke fun at him and at Indian culture. But beneath this, the show plays with this by presenting Apu as a very hard working, self made man and a family man, who came to America ro better himself, who works round the clock to be a success and to provide for his family. Contrast that with the portrayal of Homer, who is fat, lazy, stupid, misses work when he feels like it. All of it is inherently taking a swipe at our expectations below the surface, even while making a joke about Vishnu on the surface.

That's not to say that people cannot or should not find Apu offensive in his general portrayal. Clearly some do and I think the show's response is weak and tone deaf. I also saw Al Jean tweeting about how the episode was going to 'upset Twitter' and it just feels like the show in Series 30 is just a troll show now. But it wasn't in Series 1 to 12ish and I genuinely believe that what I outlined in this post about their attempts at representation and portrayal were generally good natured and positive towards minorities at a time (1989-99) when many shows still weren't.

I think it's a fair point that in the 90s, the Simpsons were capable of nuanced character work that developed one-note stereotype characters beyond generalizations of entire minorities. But the good intentions don't mean much when the takeaway for all but the most diehard fans of the show was that Apu is the "thank you come again" Indian guy. The average person familiar with the show isn't going to point you to the excellent citizenship episode as the first thing that comes to mind when they think of Apu, they're going to think of the time Apu got in an arranged marriage or how he has octuplets. In another era Apu may have been a step forward in representation of Indians - in the 90s when he was one of the only Indians on television, not so much.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Lastly, because we've got a unique amount of exposure towards offensive problems about the show right now, I just want to point out that THIS was considered to be "a funny joke" by this white, male, over the hill, writer's room in an episode released... why just earlier this year...

Because the show's primary established gay male clearly has to also want to secretly become a woman - in his 40s - despite never indicating such an inclination and it not being part of his established characterization.

Nelson also got cooked in the school furnace this week because, I suppose it's funny for kids to get burned alive. Hopefully nobody from Siberia was watching.

yikes
yeah, that's...that's something

he's not wrong - they could've used bart, homer or anyone else, but they chose their 'voice of reason" i the family...pretty deliberate

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
oh if we're opening the floodgates to embarrassingly racist moments on modern Simpsons, here's one from last year where Comic Book Guy's Japanese wife (voiced by a white person in an accent of course) spontaneously dresses up in panda cosplay because that's what every Japanese person does:

jBLIbc1.png

but please do carry on about how this show is good-intentioned about rallying against PC or whatever

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CBC article said:
OK, seriously. You don't understand the Indian accent is funny to white people? And to other Indians? Many of us do the Indian accent in our stand-up acts to solely Indian audiences, and they laugh. The Indian accent sounds funny in the same way the German accent sounds evil. It just does — it's like when a smart person finally admits he finds farts funny. There's no way a comedian doesn't understand this concept.
I agree with this. Indian accents in English are just funny to many people. It doesn't matter if it's real or imitated. It's why my Hindi teacher in university would use the accent for humour, and it's why wife likes to imitate her relatives that have that accent.

As for Hari's video, the minstrel comparisons seem far fetched. I understand the point of those people saying Apu was a problem because he was practically the only representation on TV for many people. Had there been the level of variety of characters Italian people have, maybe it would have been different. And it seems like Canadian and British Indian people complain about Apu less than Americans. Both Canada and the UK have higher percentages of Indians than the US; maybe that has something to do with it.

I find the notion that a voice actor must be the same race as the character to be ridiculous, at least in non-mocking situations. Acting is about being someone you're not. For live action, switching ethnicity usually looks bad (see Cloud Atlas awkwardness) but for animation, it shouldn't matter at all. Bart Simpson being voiced by the opposite of a young boy still works perfectly.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/04/11/what-the-simpsons-doesnt-get-about-its-apu-problem/

Good article

On a grander scale, we see brown Americans doing the same, even today. Kumail Nanjiani, the Pakistani American actor behind the mainstream indie rom-com The Big Sick, told me years ago about an audition at which he was asked to put on an accent, despite the fact that he has an authentic Lahori one. At the time he and I spoke he was just making waves on HBO's Silicon Valley, not yet an Oscar nominee, with room enough to escape the bind. "I already have a Pakistani accent, but they want me to do 'the Apu accent,' " he told me. "A lot of people think of that as being the go-to comedy Indian accent."

I find the notion that a voice actor must be the same race as the character to be ridiculous, at least in non-mocking situations. Acting is about being someone you're not. For live action, switching ethnicity usually looks bad (see Cloud Atlas awkwardness) but for animation, it shouldn't matter at all. Bart Simpson being voiced by the opposite of a young boy still works perfectly.
Read:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/ri...ing-1201921109/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"They're cartoon characters, they're drawn, you can make them look however you want," Gao said. "So it feels like it's arbitrary, who the voice is behind it. And I think that none of this would really be an issue at all if there were more actors of color who get work. But because in every aspect of acting, white actors dominate and there are so few roles for actors of color, that that's why it's an issue. It wouldn't be an issue if there were plenty of roles for everyone. But there aren't."

"The truth of the matter is, when you open it up to white actors, there are many more of them," he said. "And that's a sad thing about our industry, but a truth. The white actors have had the opportunity to have the experiences over and over again. So we brought in Alison Brie, and she checked all these boxes of experience and could do all of these different things with the character."

But even at the time, Bob-Waksberg admitted that it felt "a little weird to me. I was definitely aware that that was an issue and that was a problem. But if you look at animation, the precedence feels a little different. I allowed myself to become convinced that this was not as big of a deal in animation. And now I'm not so sure that that is true.

"Part of the issue is, when it comes to animation you convince yourself, anybody can play anything, so it doesn't matter," he said. "Will Arnett is not a horse, but he plays a horse. This is what acting is. But I think if you are saying that, and if you are then casting all white people in your main cast, as I did, it betrays that. It's more of an excuse than a truth. There's no reason that BoJack couldn't have been played by an Asian actor. If we had an all-Asian cast except for the person playing Diane, this would be a very different conversation right now."

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
"They're cartoon characters, they're drawn, you can make them look however you want," Gao said. "So it feels like it's arbitrary, who the voice is behind it. And I think that none of this would really be an issue at all if there were more actors of color who get work. But because in every aspect of acting, white actors dominate and there are so few roles for actors of color, that that's why it's an issue. It wouldn't be an issue if there were plenty of roles for everyone. But there aren't."

You know how true that is?
Smithers started as an African American character, look where we are now.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's a fair point that in the 90s, the Simpsons were capable of nuanced character work that developed one-note stereotype characters beyond generalizations of entire minorities. But the good intentions don't mean much when the takeaway for all but the most diehard fans of the show was that Apu is the "thank you come again" Indian guy. The average person familiar with the show isn't going to point you to the excellent citizenship episode as the first thing that comes to mind when they think of Apu, they're going to think of the time Apu got in an arranged marriage or how he has octuplets. In another era Apu may have been a step forward in representation of Indians - in the 90s when he was one of the only Indians on television, not so much.

I see where you're coming from.

One thing The Simpsons was good at doing was appealing to the common viewer AND the high brow viewer, also delivering nuanced subtext and smart jokes mixed in with the silly comedy and catchphrases, so that everyone had something to enjoy.

It's why kids and adults alike loved the show. For every dumbass or young kid who just loved reciting 'thank you come again!' Or Nelson's 'Ha Ha!' There was someone who loved the intelligent commentary on the establishment (Mr Burns, Quimby, etc) the swipes at corporate culture and big business (Malibu Stacey, Lil Lisa Slurry), Politics (3 eyed fish), etc etc. It successfully managed both in equal measure.

I personally find Apu to strike a fair balance. I think it would be seriously problematic if his surface character was backed up by being lazy or greedy or something, but I understand that there are others who don't like him.

What's for certain is that Simpsons 2018 is no longer a show capable of delivering intelligent humour or a smart response to its critics.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not even sure Simpsons 2018 is capable of delivering humor at all at this point.
Fuck that Kamp Krustier episode was shit!
I heard/read somewhere that they changed that because of how sycophantic Smithers is.

Honestly having Groening more involved and Simon around probably kept people like Jean in check
I think they mentionned that in the commentaries in the 1st few seasons.
It's pretty telling that when Futurama started, Simpsons took a dive in quality it never really recovered from.
Maybe they need someone hungrier than Al Jean to run the show....One thing for sure they need to fire the writers, they're clearly not capable enough to handle something as difficult as the Simposons.

They even manage to mess up Itchi&Scratchy! How can you mess up Itchy&Scratchy!?!

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it seems like Canadian and British Indian people complain about Apu less than Americans. Both Canada and the UK have higher percentages of Indians than the US; maybe that has something to do with it.

If the Simpsons was a British TV show there would have been a major uproar about Apu. British sitcoms in the 70s had many Apu like racist portrayals of Asians, but by the 80s this was seen as racist and unacceptable, and by the 90s practically unthinkable.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the voice actor for her died so the character had to.

Not really, they could have easily hired a new voice actress rather than retiring the character.

He isn't wrong but modern Lisa is pretty much treated as a joke anyway as the show has gone to great length to show that she doesn't actually care about these issues, she's just a poser.

Modern Lisa is a fraud.

oh if we're opening the floodgates to embarrassingly racist moments on modern Simpsons, here's one from last year where Comic Book Guy's Japanese wife (voiced by a white person in an accent of course) spontaneously dresses up in panda cosplay because that's what every Japanese person does:

jBLIbc1.png

but please do carry on about how this show is good-intentioned about rallying against PC or whatever

I never understand why they decided to have that loser get married off. Isn't the joke that he's too cynical and bitter to even get married?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm aware of that. There should be more non-white people in voice acting in Western animation. I'm just saying it's wrong to tell someone they shouldn't play a voice part because of their race.
Sure, in a world where everyone is equal and there are equal parts to go around for minorities, and the roles in questions aren't caricatures of racist caricatures, I would agree.

Emperor Ham

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Do many people here consider Speedy Gonzales a racist character? Even though Mexicans love the character and embraced him.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Do many people here consider Speedy Gonzales a racist character? Even though Mexicans love the character and embraced him.
Brought up earlier in the thread. Speedy is mostly fine, but his surroundings and supporting cast in classic cartoons definitely had problems. The recent-ish Looney Tunes Show, which has a suburban setting, apparently handled him well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what I think: this documentary is well-done, and it is driven by a noble pursuit of truth and justice. But it puts forth an argument that will simply make a lot of people roll their eyes. When that happens, we actually take the progressive movement backwards.
Nope, this is some "you are the racist for pointing out racism" bullshit. The article got worst as it went on....

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
There are people unironically advocating for racism because "it's funny when they talk the way they do". In this thread. Come on now. You know you're racist if you think this, right?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are people unironically advocating for racism because "it's funny when they talk the way they do". In this thread. Come on now. You know you're racist if you think this, right?

It's pretty mind-boggling. If this thread was about gay, trans or black representation, or pretty much any other minority group, it would be a wasteland of warnings and bans with all the hand-waving, drive-bys, dismissive jokes and whataboutisms and no one would dare come in here with the kind of "you guys think everything is racist these days" and "this is why Trump got elected" type posts.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yep but Lisa has it worse because she gets no happy ending, whereas the other Simpsons characters does.

This blog post kinda goes into it in greater length.
https://antihumansite.wordpress.com...the-simpsons-in-a-month-heres-what-i-learned/

And I guess now I understand the general uneasyness I have with the Simpsons in general...
Bizarrely I think Ralph has consistently been the same character through the years.
Not even, he was just a regular kid at the beginning, they gradually made him dumber and dumber.
To the point it's baffling that he's even in the same class as Lisa.
Current (or even from Season 10 and on) Ralph would never have the capacity to do what he did in that episode where he's with Lisa.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread is depressing. The characters of my fave childhood show have dramatically changed.

Edna died, Lisa is just a poser, Ralph has gone from naivety to just dumb etc

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
He isn't wrong but modern Lisa is pretty much treated as a joke anyway as the show has gone to great length to show that she doesn't actually care about these issues, she's just a poser.

Modern Lisa is a fraud.

I never understand why they decided to have that loser get married off. Isn't the joke that he's too cynical and bitter to even get married?
What the hell? So glad I ditched Simpsons almost two decades ago now. Lisa is a poser and Comic Book Store "Whoa whoa! A fat, sarcastic star trek fan. You must be a devil with the ladies" Guy got married? That's a travesty. >_<
Ralph has gone from naivety to just dumb
Nah, to be fair, Ralph was always pretty damn dumb.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell? So glad I ditched Simpsons almost two decades ago now. Lisa is a poser and Comic Book Store "Whoa whoa! A fat, sarcastic star trek fan. You must be a devil with the ladies" Guy got married? That's a travesty. >_<

Nah, to be fair, Ralph was always pretty damn dumb.

I'm waiting for a proper critique of Ralph which explains why having a boy who is obviously Special Education Needs being the butt of so many jokes is shameful. There came a point where the joke, that the US school system was so bad that Ralph was never helped, stopped being funny and the writers just started using him as a "'Special Kids' say the dumbest things" mouthpiece.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It's sad, really. Somehow racism is completely fine if people find it funny. They don't realize its implications or the affect it has on that particular race group and how people treat them. This thread has been a disappointing read.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'm waiting for a proper critique of Ralph which explains why having a boy who is obviously Special Education Needs being the butt of so many jokes is shameful. There came a point where the joke, that the US school system was so bad that Ralph was never helped, stopped being funny and the writers just started using him as a "'Special Kids' say the dumbest things" mouthpiece.
Yeah, a lot of the characters and their traits were originally introduced to show the flaws of America but now it has gone on for so long that those characters are just paraded around so that people can point and laugh at them. Originally the structural flaws of their society was the butt of the joke, now its victims are.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's really crazy is in the first few seasons he was actually kind of witty

1071936.jpg