• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Twitter user @Mario_RPG_Fan has uncovered these small strips in the inside of the Skyward Sword HD Joy-Cons not present in any other models:

The interesting part is that this could connect to a fix that YouTuber VK uncovered where he put a small piece of cardboard on the inside to apply pressure, which seemed to fix his drift. Nintendo might've fixed this on their own using a similar solution on the new Joy-Cons.

GameXplain video:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If this was a fix, why wouldn't they just be doing it to all joy cons for the past year or more?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The only thing that can stop the drift epidemic is family

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Eh the video came out like around the same time, its only a couple of weeks old or so right? Zero chance Nintendo copied, if anything they just worked it out too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the OLED model JoyCons will have a similar "fix" despite them having said the internals are the same.

Apr 21, 2018
If this was a fix, why wouldn't they just be doing it to all joy cons for the past year or more?

Might be possible they had such an overwhelming glut of them in production, it was simply too late. By the time they realized it was an issue in mind 2018, it took them another 11 months to test it, find a solution, and implement it, and another 10 months for those in production to hit shelves... which brings us to about now. I'm just baseless spit-balling out of my ass here.

I bet the OLED model has these as well.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember the exact thread where someone claimed the Zelda ones got drift. But I know I definitely read it somewhere here.

Any controller can drift regardless. It's how Dualsense can drift out of the box. Blame bad sticks from a company that has a monopoly on them.

The joycon drift issue is a design malfunction that causes more drift than the usual margin of error. And it's what is tentatively being fixed here.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I'll take 2. I tried the fix with adding pieces of paper to the inside, but I couldn't get my controllers open.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any controller can drift regardless. It's how Dualsense can drift out of the box. Blame bad sticks from a company that has a monopoly on them.

The joycon drift issue is a design malfunction that causes more drift than the usual margin of error. And it's what is tentatively being fixed here.
Or you could just blame the company who made the shitty controllers and sold them to begin with.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
The video was the 13th, the Joy-Cons released the 16th. No way they used the video as a reference.
Ah, thanks for the research. I take it back then, seems like it wouldn't have been possible for them to have been inspired by the video and make the changes in time. A very odd coincidence then!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't people think this method was a temporary fix?

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Why would they wear down? You're not putting enough pressure on the inside casing of the joycon to ever really do much damage to these strips.
I'm not going to pretend I get how it all works. I guess my brain just refuses to see such a small thing as a true long-term solution.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Surely these will wear down though. That would be more like a bandaid solution.
These aren't moving parts, nor are they touching any. The idea, as I understand it, is that the spring inside the stick module that keeps the stick tensioned towards the middle doesn't provide enough tension to keep itself from shifting out of place, moving the critical parts of the stick with it. Adding pressure to the back of the module where one end of the spring rests seems to fix that.

The previous idea that the actual carbon traces used to alter the current flowing through the circuit would wear out never really made sense to me given I've always been able to repair my sticks without actually replacing any parts. This fix is certainly easier than what I was doing, though.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
If the solution is really so simple, it's bizarre that it took them so long to act.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
These aren't moving parts, nor are they touching any. The idea, as I understand it, is that the spring inside the stick module that keeps the stick tensioned towards the middle doesn't provide enough tension to keep itself from shifting out of place, moving the critical parts of the stick with it. Adding pressure to the back of the module where one end of the spring rests seems to fix that.

The previous idea that the actual carbon traces used to alter the current flowing through the circuit would wear out never really made sense to me given I've always been able to repair my sticks without actually replacing any parts. This fix is certainly easier than what I was doing, though.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully this makes a significant difference and lasts.

Mar 29, 2018
Haha if that's true then "engineer" is a very generous job title
The modern world is crazy because you could have 15 extremely talented engineers work on something like this for years, but those 15 extremely talented engineers straight up cannot compare to literally millions of rabid fans, thousands of which will also be good engineers and will tear down every piece of hardware in sheer bloodlust and get to know it as well as (if not better than) the original creators - creator engineers who have probably quickly shuffled on to other projects and have lots of other things to think about

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I KNEW something was off when I was playing Overwatch with them.

I could actually aim and take down enemies, lol.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Maybe I'll buy these Joy-Cons. Is the Skyward Sword pair the only ones with the fix?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
They probably added the fix to curb any potential calls that would need the joycon shipped back. Imagine, shipping in a Zelda Joycon and being told by the person on the other end of the phone to "accept that if we don't have the exact Joycon to replace, will you accept a standard black or other alternative color"?

Because I had to accept that condition on the two Joycon I had to send in. One was black so it was whatever, but I had a red/green Joycon combo and was nervous sending the Red one in due to drift. It came back Red, but I'm sure Zelda would be a lot rarer to replace.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Lol dammit, I returned mine two days ago because I realized spending $80 would be a waste of money to get another pair of drifting joycons

Welp