zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The first game that comes to mind is True Lies for the SNES. Yes, based off the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie from the 90's. Great movie tie-in game (Something the SNES had a lot of)

It was a blast to play and I hardly see people bring it up. I remember renting this game so much as a kid. I finally beat it after like the 3 or 4 rental too. It was my go to If there wasn't anything new to play.

I saw it mentioned above, but I would also recommend SNES Drunk on YouTube. Great little channel with a lot of videos focusing on smaller unknown hidden gems on the SNES. Most videos are short too.
I have a lot of nostalgia for True Lies. I loved it back then. I don't know if it holds up cause I have not played it in so long.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You had never heard of Bahamut Lagoon?
I thought it was one of the most well known "hidden gems" of the SNES. I haven't played it since my early days messing with emulators and fan translations, I should revisit it.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I don't know how obscure it is now, but I was really into E.V.O. on the SNES.

as for PSX, I was a big fan of Thousand Arms. I have a feeling it might hold up now. I remember it having a few issues. I think it had excessive random battles, but I finished it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
For ps1 I really liked Overblood. A RE clone with clunky gameplay but a better story. The companion robot was a nice touch too.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Eretzvaju / Evil Zone

4QvMbXd.jpg

B78pxOmCMAA-m49.jpg

An homage to 90's anime and tokusatsu in the form of a (very simple) fighting game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRgvLOB_UY

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
The amount of jrpg the snes and the ps1 have is insane. I dont think its an hidden gems anymore but Bahamut Lagoon is def a game that isnt talked as much as it should. Its an amazing tactics jrpg.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
S.O.S. on the SNES. It's an adventure game developed by Human Entertainment (Clock Tower, Fire Pro Wrestling) that takes heavy inspiration from The Poseidon Adventure. It's a game that wouldn't be out of place as a Steam Indie title, but the gameplay was really Avant Garde back in the early 90s.

View: https://youtu.be/QQrnQmYWIEA

I love this game! Great pick.

S.O.S. was called Septentrion for the Super Famicom and there's a sequel of sorts for PSX - Septentrion: Out of the Blue.
It's jank as hell in the way that only a 3D PSX game released in 1999 can be. Nice soundtrack too!

www.youtube.com

Septentrion ~Out of the Blue~ (セプテントリオン ~Out of the Blue~) PS1 Longplay [HD]

Player: ChiaraSub: JapPS1 LongplaySeptentrion - Out of the Blue is a 3-D action game where you attempt to escape from a sinking ship...A game based on a Pose...

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what qualifies for a hidden gem these days, but I had a lot of fun with Metal Warriors and Robotrek back in the days, and I barely saw them mentioned anywhere for years until MW popped up in an IGN top 100 a while ago.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
These are often the kind of games I really want to see on the Sony/Nintendo online services/subscriptions

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what qualifies for a hidden gem these days, but I had a lot of fun with Metal Warriors and Robotrek back in the days, and I barely saw them mentioned anywhere for years until MW popped up in an IGN top 100 a while ago.
I actually finally played Robotrek a few months ago. I ended up not finishing it due to other releases, but I'm at about 80% through. Pretty fun game, but if I'm being honest, I had higher expectations. I would absolutely still consider it a hidden gem, but it's not excatly a classic imo. Still, it was miles better than Paladin's Quest which was just a repetitive slog (I played that right before Robotrek).

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is gold btw, some of these I had no idea about!

Going through my own list, so many games have recently gotten translations that Ive been checking a lot of them out

SNES: Cybernator, Front Mission Gun Hazard. Rudra no Hihou, Treasure Hunter G

PS1: Popolocrois 1 and 2, Rhapsody, Strikers 1945 1 and 2 are also dope

Ferrera

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2022
I played the SNES to the death on my childhood, but aside from classics, there's one game that comes to my memory and no one seem to talk about that is an absolute gem: Biker Mice From Mars.

It's RocknRoll Racing style with a very well refined formula of super powers per character, terrific soundtrack and fun gameplay. At a first glimpse it may seem unbalanced but as you play and learn you realize it's very skill demanding.

What a game!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Ihatovo Monogatari has increased slightly in popularity over the years. It's a lovely, combat-free adventure game based around doing tasks for inhabitants of a small town. There is an English patch available.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNp0n6LAGSY

Mystic Ark is a spiritual successor to The 7th Saga. It has a striking visual style and often reminds me of modern From Software releases in its environment and enemy design. The soundtrack is likewise excellent. English patch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1b84I2NiA

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I played the SNES to the death on my childhood, but aside from classics, there's one game that comes to my memory and no one seem to talk about that is an absolute gem: Biker Mice From Mars.

What a game!

It was mentioned in the first page yeah.
Replayed it recently and while I hate the licence and source material the game is soo good.
I mean, it's Konami.
And peak Konami, those years.

And yeah, thread is on point.
Both machines have libraries so huge, attractive and full of obscure gems especially if you are a Japanophile . So much to discover.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There was an Asterix game for PS1 as well that doesn't get mentioned much, Asterix: The Gallic War. It has two game modes, a simple strategy game where the heroes try to reconquer Gaul from Romans, and taking some provinces required completing a platforming level.

View: https://youtu.be/DkA1kD-dp6M

Looks interesting, seems pretty Risk like in the strategy layer. And the platformer uses the same design for the destructible jobs in the air as the SNES one. I wonder if it's the same devs.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks, so I feel like I should throw Mizzurna Falls onto this pile. Developed by Human Entertainment (another of their games appears in this thread: SOS), released in 1998 only on the PS1, it's a very, very, early open-world 3D game that features drivable vehicles and a murder mystery to solve. The game only released in Japan, but English and Spanish fan translations are available.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7jZgZwbIU

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The Adventures of Lomax on PS1.

Another Psygnosis affair, a Lemmings spin-off which is a 2D Platformer with absolutely beautiful graphics.