• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
New cryptic Tweet from Snitch suggesting a game is going F2P,

I searched for the phrase and gave me Overwatch results.

Edit: Considering the MP portion of OW2 will already be Free to Play to OW1 owners, this seems to suggest that Overwatch 2 MP will be F2P to everyone.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pvp portion of OW2 is very likely to go f2p, especially given that all current OW owners are going to upgrade into it as is. It would be really silly not to at this point.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Overwatch 2 Multiplayer has already been announced as F2P for those who own OW1, will probably get a trailer tomorrow.
Although the first game becoming free until then wouldn't be surprising.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
May as well make the multiplayer free to play considering Overwatch 1 owners get it for free. Then just charge for the singleplayer.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch 2 Multiplayer has already been announced as F2P, will probably get a trailer tomorrow.
Although the first game becoming free until then wouldn't be surprising.
No Overwatch 2 multiplayer was announced as free for Overwatch 1 owners. No Free to Play announcement was ever made.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Makes sense, i will update the thread then
HOW COULD I MISSED THAT
No Overwatch 2 multiplayer was announced as free for Overwatch 1 owners. No Free to Play announcement was ever made.
i thought OW2 was only free if you owned the first game?

I forgot to add in my post that's only for those who own OW1, maybe they'll change this for everyone or something.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is correct, it's only free if you already have Overwatch 1.
That being said, 99% of people interested in Overwatch 2 probably already have the first game so might as well make the game free as well for the remaining 1%.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
No way OW2 PVP can flourish without it being F2P. It just can't compete with other games if it wasn't. Very happy about this. More people should experience it, there really is no other game like it.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Makes sense since they datamined a battlepass in the overwatch 2 beta

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they go put OW1 in F2P but OW2 needed to buy for acces PvE/PvP.

This is the worst scenario I think, since I'm pretty sure OW1 gonna have more players than OW2...
That's not gonna happen.

Overwatch 2 PVP is an update to OW1 pvp. Both won't exist individually at the same time.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense since the first one was heavily monetized. MS about to have some absolute cash whales with games like OW2 and COD/Warzone

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Campaign or whatever they're doing is going to be priced and MP will be f2p

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldnt see the point in making OW1 f2p now. Shouldve happened years ago. And I thought 2 was already going to be free for the mp

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Also to give some context behind the OW2 event, They haven't said it is a PvP centric event and the news post they put up today says " We've been eagerly awaiting the moment we can show you all the things we have been creating". The video will likely be 42 mins long going off the meta data. Also Blizzard shies away from doing other people's events.

The Overwatch team has some exciting, fresh-off-the-press news to share with our community. We've been eagerly awaiting the moment we can show you all the things we have been creating, so mark your calendars, set your alarms, and don't miss out! The Overwatch 2 Reveal Event will be on the PlayOverwatch YouTube and Twitch channels on June 16 at 10:00 a.m. PDT.

Up until now, we have introduced the new damage hero, Sojourn, Push, hero reworks, new maps, and a variety of new features all coming to Overwatch 2. The team is committed to being transparent with the community and quickly adjusting to what we are learning from testing. There were multiple balance patches throughout the beta, and even a few new abilities like Zenyatta's Snap Kick passive. We've only just scratched the surface. This is the beginning of everything we have in store for the game.

Overwatch has always stood for inclusivity, open-mindedness, and the idea that the world could always use more heroes. These foundational pillars are bringing us into the future while keeping us grounded in what's most important: our community. We are listening, we hear you, and we can't wait to show you what's coming for Overwatch 2.

You're not going to want to miss the Overwatch 2 Reveal Event. Some might say it's time for a reckoning.

playoverwatch.com

Tune into the Overwatch 2 Reveal Event on June 16

Calling all heroes! Save the date—on June 16 at 10:00 a.m. PDT for the Overwatch 2 Reveal Event!

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It should be tbh it's monetized like one
They already monetize it like one
The lootbox model should have made it f2p from the start
Not really? The lootbox system in OW is one of the best (if not the best) I've seen. Like, you can get pretty much everything you want if you play the game regularly, without spending any real money.

I'd also assume that most f2p games don't give you new heroes/playable characters for free (which OW did).

I am honestly really worried about them switching to a f2p model….

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Not really? The lootbox system in OW is one of the best (if not the best) I've seen. Like, you can get pretty much everything you want if you play the game regularly, without spending any real money.

I'd also assume that most f2p games don't give you new heroes/playable characters for free (which OW did).

I am honestly really worried about them switching to a f2p model….

No, a lot of f2p games do, because MTX just makes that much more money. Lootboxes are chance, not guarantee. For every one lucky player, you'll get ten times those that have to pay to get the skin they wanted. However, switching to F2P means they'll likely inject more MTX on top of what OW1 offered, so that is cause for worry for sure.