• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I'd make that claim, but despite it originally being in a weird place for me since it wasn't quite what I was wanting from a South Park movie when it came out being so musical heavy, the songs really do hold up pretty well. It's a pretty legit musical.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the musical parts are really catchy, for how crude they are.

My mom rented it for me when I was a kid. She just saw it was animated and didn't check to see what she was renting.

I watched it while she was taking a nap. It absolutely corrupted me for life. 😂

Well at least your mother didn't start blaming Canada afterwards!

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've not seen the original wicker man have you?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I have plenty of problems with South Park (especially now that I'm older and not as dumb as I once was), but yeah, SPTM is great. It's a musical for people that hate musicals.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
considering they ended up making a musical that is considered as one of the best ever it isn't really that hot of a take.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a great movie with some catchy songs -- But very much no. That said, if you liked it, I encourage you to seek out other musicals and explore the genre. There's a lot of fantastic musicals out there.
I mean even if we were strictly talking animated musicals, it would rank somewhere behind almost every Disney animated movie ever made.
This.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Team America has better songs but yes South Park is a great musical

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trey and Matt are gifted.

Even something as their Christmas album has some weirdly great and sometimes even touching songs.

One of my all-time favourites:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering they ended up making a musical that is considered as one of the best ever it isn't really that hot of a take.
Book of Mormon is much much better than South Park: The Movie. For one thing, the songs are actually a good length, and there's more of them. They also play to the strengths of those who are actually able to sing.

Even with that in mind, I wouldn't say Book of Mormon is one of the best ever either. It just was/sort of still is a hot ticket on Broadway.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it in theaters

hate musicals

loved this

it was funny and served the purpose of the story, and they were catchy and you wanted to sing them afterwards
It's a musical for people that hate musicals.
Probably true. I hate musicals and like this movie a lot.
*It's a musical for people who think they hate musicals/want to hate musicals.

If you liked this movie, you probably would like other musicals.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this movie 8 times in the theaters, the most I've ever watched one movie by far.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I love it. I think I've listened to this soundtrack more than any other musical. I would absolutely kill for a stage adaptation of it. Cast actual ten year olds for maximum offense.

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how much sticking power the songs have, they're just an absolute joy. "Up There", "I'm Super", "La Resistance" are always on rotation for me. It really is one of the best musical/comedies of all time.

How many musicals have you seen?
This seems pretty condescending no? I must have seen 100+ and it ranks in my top slots pretty consistently.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i said it is considered to be and it definitely is.
I'm not sure who is making that consideration, and it certainly is good. Don't get me wrong. But Matt and Trey's juvenile humor is all over it, and really holds it back from being a timeless classic, IMO. And to clarify on that, the play as constructed would not work without that juvenile humor. But it'd be nice to see them try to do one without relying on that as a crutch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's insane how much sticking power the songs have, they're just an absolute joy. "Up There", "I'm Super", "La Resistance" are always on rotation for me. It really is one of the best musical/comedies of all time.

This seems pretty condescending no? I must have seen 100+ and it ranks in my top slots pretty consistently.
Not really. OP, didn't mention any other musicals in the OP, so I was wondering the point of reference.

Also, I can see it being a top musical. I don't believe in high or low brow classifications in media.

Also, as mentioned above, the movie as well known as the musical for people that hate musicals.

Dec 6, 2017
US
What I really don't understand though is how the fuck this movie is 22 years old.
*It's a musical for people who think they hate musicals/want to hate musicals.

If you liked this movie, you probably would like other musicals.

I grew up with my mother and sister watching Rocky Horror, Grease, West Side Story etc. a lot and I just couldn't stand them and still check out when the singing starts. Ironically, I've been a professional musician and a music freak in general. I've also seen several on Broadway and it isn't my cup at all generally.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched the South Park movie a few years back and was surprised how good a musical it is. Book of Mormon is even better though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Watched this in theaters and we were the only peopl except for the other kids in the back of the theater, it was a magical experience and we had a blast.

If you have not seen Book of Mormon yet, go see it the next chance you get. I was blown away.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I still have many of the songs stuck in my head. I used to listen to the soundtrack a lot.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Always thought it was cool how South Park had a movie so early on. Makes me wonder what a 1990s Simpsons movie would have been like.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty great. For some reason the lyric that's stuck with me the most over the years is:

"Shut your fucking face, uncle fucka! You're a boner biting bastard, uncle fucka!"