Pick the party you'd take with you on a quest to save JRPGs!

• Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV, V and VI

Votes: 430 67.3%
  • Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX

Votes: 209 32.7%

• Total voters

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger is my favorite and most replayed game of all time.

Cross is not a bad game. Its just not a great game and it has very little of what made the original such a classic.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
This poll was a bit shit in retrospect. There's no theme/idea to it, except to try and get Cross a win lol, and era messed that up too.

Part 1 was better and though I was expecting FF to win, it was a much closer fight:

www.resetera.com

The Square Off: Chrono Trigger and Xenogears face off against the two most revered games from their signature franchise, Final Fantasy VI and VII.

The idea behind the thread: To determine whether, during their epic run in the 90's, Square reached higher peaks within their main big dog franchise using the two most celebrated games from it, or if they excelled outside of it with these two other games that have a very strong case for being...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing jrpg's during the PS1 era so it's easily Chrono Cross for me. Top 5 favourite.

Should do a Chrono Trigger vs Breath of Fire 3 poll and see what happens.

I actually think BOF3 is better then Chrono Trigger (both games are in my all time top 10), but I'm fully aware that would be a slaughter in favour of CT lol

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I actually think BOF3 is better then Chrono Trigger (both games are in my all time top 10), but I'm fully aware that would be a slaughter in favour of CT lol

Sorry Chai86 I did have it in mind to reply to your suggestion but I was sleepy last night and then forgot :(. But sir_crocodile is correct, it would be a slaughter. Chrono Trigger would only struggle against Bloodborne among 'RPGs' unless you factor in Zelda. Maybe Chrono Trigger vs FF7 may be 60-40 in favour at Chrono Trigger but even then FF7 would struggle to get that 40, I reckon. I'm tempted to do a straight Chrono Trigger vs Cross poll just to see how big the divide is though lol.

Chai86

Jun 2, 2021

Glad to hear from another BOF3 fan.

I think they are both complete packages (10/10) but I like BOF3 more. Agreed, it will get slaughtered by CT =).

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I grew up playing Chrono Trigger over and over again, Im too emotionally attached to ever vote for anything else.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
I always preferred Cross, Trigger is great too but it doesn't come close to the way I feel whenever I start up Cross, my favorite game of all time.

This poll was a bit shit in retrospect. There's no theme/idea to it, except to try and get Cross a win lol, and era messed that up too.

Part 1 was better and though I was expecting FF to win, it was a much closer fight:

www.resetera.com

The Square Off: Chrono Trigger and Xenogears face off against the two most revered games from their signature franchise, Final Fantasy VI and VII.

The idea behind the thread: To determine whether, during their epic run in the 90's, Square reached higher peaks within their main big dog franchise using the two most celebrated games from it, or if they excelled outside of it with these two other games that have a very strong case for being...
Just make a chrono cross appreciation thread. Expecting Era not to go for the CT + FFVI combo was crazy.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Chrono Cross is pretty much the Last Jedi of video gaming
My favourite Era meme ngl

The SNES bundle is made of timeless classics but there is something amazing about the PS1 bundle that I can't really describe. The SNES games are solid and I'll revisit them forever, but the PS1 games still feel unreal to me. The FF were BONKERS and Chrono Cross has gone way too far, and tbh, the Squaresoft I love is the Squaresoft that goes too far. PS1 it is.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017

www.resetera.com

I hope this goes to show you that Chrono Trigger is indeed the GOAT of RPG's and when paired with any good games will be practically impossible, as shown, to lose a poll. And that the quality/ popularity of Chrono Cross is somewhat overblown.