• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Similarly to what I did in 2020 and 2022, I wanted to list some of the racing games releasing this year that I feel are noteworthy. Feel free to point out any I missed!

Forza Motorsport (Series, PC)

By far the headliner of this year in regards to racing games, after an unprecedented six year break for the biannual franchise, Forza is finally back promising a true next-gen experience! Featuring a claimed x48 improvement in the calculations of the physics, fully dynamic weather and time of day in all tracks, and even some neat little extras like RT reflections during gameplay and RTGI on replays - the new Forza Motorsport will most definitely end up a great technical showcase of what the Series X and Series S are capable of doing. This game in particular is getting

Wreckreation (PS4, PS5, X1, Series, PC)

After the tepid reaction to Three Fields Entertainment's Dangerous Driving in 2019, and the radio silence on their supposed open world sequel for years, many had assumed the worst for the studio. However, last year they finally announced their next game: Wreckreation, an open world racing game where the entire world is editable! You can place roads, ramps, loops, obstacles, etc. on the entire map and share it with other people over the internet. Frankly, the studio and its publisher THQ Nordic are not particularly known for polish or quality, so I remain cautious about it, but if they can nail the concept it'll probably be one of the most fun racing games released this year.

Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown (PS5, Series, PC)

Originally meant to release last year, Solar Crown is a very ambitious open world racing game which claims to recreate Hong Kong on a 1:1 scale. Though despite being announced 2 years ago and getting multiple trailers since, very little is known about the game, with only a few screenshots in its Steam store page being the only in-game content that's publicly available, so "it remains to be seen" applies to... pretty much everything. Hopefully it's good though! The screenshots showed some good visual and terrain variety so even if that 1:1 scale ends up being a bit of a lie it can still be a very fun game. The game is also no longer coming to PS4 and Xbox One, so hopefully they'll be able to make good use of the new consoles.

EA Sports WRC (Unknown)

Technically this game isn't officially announced, but multiple reliable sources have claimed its releasing in Spring 2023 so its probably correct. Wouldn't normally list what's presumably a yearly franchise on these lists but given it's the first WRC game post Codemasters getting the license, I'm really interested on what the end result ends up being, as by the same rumors EA also cancelled an upcoming Dirt Rally 3.0 to avoid competing with this game. Hopefully the Dirt franchise can still continue despite this, maybe focusing on more arcade racers like Dirt 5 and leaving the simulation to this new EA WRC line.

Gran Turismo 7 (PS VR2)

It was announced recently that Gran Turismo 7 would be supporting PlayStation's upcoming VR headset in some way or form. We still don't have many details unfortunately, and I imagine the impact of this release will depend heavily on what content is available, but at worst it will still be a way to experience iconic cars in VR. I played a TON of Gran Turismo Sport's very limited PS VR mode and let me tell you, it truly makes you appreciate the level of detail that went into modelling these cars as well as finally getting a sense of scale of the tracks featured in the game.

Trackmania (PS4, PS5, X1, Series)

As it was announced last year, the popular physics-based arcade racer is finally arriving to consoles in a (relatively) uncompromised form. Hundreds of official tracks and thousands of community-made tracks will be available for consoles on day 1, and assuming the pricing structure remains the same, you can access almost all of it for just $10 per year. I hate sounding like an advertisement but it truly is a good deal for the amount of content available, and though the PC version will still remain the most feature-complete and probably what dedicated console players will end up moving to, the console version finally promises a proper Trackmania experience on these platforms.

Of course, new games will probably get announced throughout the year but it seems like a fairly standard year with arguably Forza Motorsport being the only properly big game releasing. I'm not aware of any cool indie surprises slated to release soon so hopefully there will be some!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy we had a sort of Sim renaissance a few years ago, coupled with a futuristic anti grav sim through indies and crowfunded projects, but still nothing close to Burnout. Only the former devs tried but crashed and burned with terribly underbudgeted and barebone release of Dangerous Driving

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Forza is showing a lot of promise, I hope they deliver on everything the community has been clamoring for.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have a couple of motorcycle games coming this year too, which I think gets overlooked when we talk about racing titles. Of note, I think TT Isle of Man 3 will be interesting as it's a game around an incredibly challenging motorcycle race and given the current developer behind it, will probably mix that challenge with deep simulation elements to the bike you use.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byFY7fIn-TQ

Oct 30, 2017
i think open-world is the worst thing that ever happened to racing games... unless they are called "test drive unlimited"... but the vibes do not seem great with this next one... but it's set in hong kong. so uh i guess we'll see.

meanwhile if anyone wants to make ridge racer 8 or outrun 3 i'm right here with my wallet open

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing WRC. Considering they have Dirt Rally as experience, it should hopefully not be as rough as other first entries in new sports series can be. Otherwise I'll probably stick to WRC Generations this year.

Forza is saying all the right things as well so hope that delivers. And Trackmania on consoles can breath some new life into the playerbase.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I'm looking forward to the new Test Drive. I've got TDU2 on Steam but a new alternative to Forza Horizon would be good.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
We have a couple of motorcycle games coming this year too, which I think gets overlooked when we talk about racing titles. Of note, I think TT Isle of Man 3 will be interesting as it's a game around an incredibly challenging motorcycle race and given the current developer behind it, will probably mix that challenge with deep simulation elements to the bike you use.

Dumb question possibly but does this have more tracks or is it "just" the Isle of Man circuit? I'm completely ignorant in regards to bike racing games but seems like it could be cool for VR

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Where are my missiles, machineguns, mines & consorts, the things critical to a good racing game ?

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Forza is really the only one I'm looking forward to, but I wish they'd focus on improving FFB and wheel compatibility. I tried Motorsport 7 on the PC and couldn't get my Thrustmaster TS-XW feeling good at all.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Wonder if F1 this year will get PS VR2 support. I don't know how well it was received on PC, but having both that and GT7 in VR2 would make it mighty tempting for me.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super happy Trackmania has seemingly gotten to a point where it has a niche but very healthy community that is large enough for Ubisoft to keep supporting the game. The Trackmania 2 period was pretty rough, but the franchise seems to have found its footing now.

Excited for a new Codemasters rally game. The current WRC ones were fine, but I had a lot of technical issues with them, and they seemed like they didn't really improve much between releases. They're not bad games, but I'm ready for something new.

Kartrider Drift also just released in open beta, and it seems very fun so far. Pretty lacking in content due to its beta state, but if they can add in more content and modes it could be something I keep playing for a while.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wonder if F1 this year will get PS VR2 support. I don't know how well it was received on PC, but having both that and GT7 in VR2 would make it mighty tempting for me.
Same, Codemasters had Dirt Rally on PS VR so I'm hoping they'll support the platform again. Put that WRC game on VR2 while they're at it too.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question possibly but does this have more tracks or is it "just" the Isle of Man circuit? I'm completely ignorant in regards to bike racing games but seems like it could be cool for VR

If it's like the previous titles, it has a career mode similar to Kylotonn's WRC games where you work within a calendar, and there are races and things to do besides the Isle of Man. The Isle of Man is obviously the main event, but these games have more than a track that's longer than the Nürburgring to complete despite its length and difficulty. While the developer is different, I think looking back at gameplay of the previous game shows there's more than just the one key track.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0pWICf2B5w

I would assume it would be similar in scope to other specifically dedicated licensed racing games when thinking of track depth and variety so it's not going for the bigger "have all the big named tracks" like Forza, Gran Turismo, and Ride do.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I love racing games but Forza is by far my most desirable this year. I also like the developers behind the Dirt Rally games.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

I had a lot of fun with Isle of Man 2, some good simulation elements except for the traction, which was ridiculously forgiving.

If they include better tire sim and more bikes it'll be a top-tier bike game, of which there are very few. I know the Ride games are popular but they just aren't fun. Even the fastest bikes feel really sluggish. Even if the physics are realistic it just doesn't capture the feel of riding a real bike for me the way that Isle of Man did.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Only racing game slated for release for Switch is Test Drive, but I think we'll get Wreckreation too. It's a transformed version of Dangerous Driving 2, a game also was in works for Switch. I'm guessing THQ doing what THQ always has done and saving Switch version announcement later.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw there was a trademark for Ride 5 last October so maybe that'll be out this year. 4 was the first one I played and enjoyed my time with it.

Jibbed

Oct 27, 2017
We should probably highlight how Motorsport Games has eaten up the licenses for INDYCAR, NASCAR and Le Mans racing… and completely shit the bed or not delivered on all fronts.

The recent changes to iRacing thanks to MG's moronic licensing are a genuine downgrade that will affect thousands of users.

So it's not exactly a great time on the PC simulation side.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 5 DLC2 should be coming at some point this year as well, I would think. Not sure what to expect - in the two previous games DLC1 was more "grounded" and DLC2 was licensed arcadey fare, but we got that with DLC1 this time.

Also of note regarding Trackmania 2020, which had been Epic and Ubistore exclusive on PC, is headed to Steam soon. Though it will likely still require an external launcher.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I got my first racing wheel for Christmas this last year, and I wasn't too drawn in when I used it for Forza Horizon 5. I'm hoping Forza Motorsport makes me like it more. I don't have a sense of place in first person, so it's hard.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
We should probably highlight how Motorsport Games has eaten up the licenses for INDYCAR, NASCAR and Le Mans racing… and completely shit the bed or not delivered on all fronts.

The recent changes to iRacing thanks to MG's moronic licensing are a genuine downgrade that will affect thousands of users.

Heh technically the IndyCar game is slated for this year but yeah, not listing it until they prove it's an actual quality product that exists and will release at some point. The sooner they go bankrupt the better.

I got my first racing wheel for Christmas this last year, and I wasn't too drawn in when I used it for Forza Horizon 5. I'm hoping Forza Motorsport makes me like it more. I don't have a sense of place in first person, so it's hard.
The Forza Horizon games aren't good at all for wheels, they're very much games focused on gamepads. I think you will notice the difference it really makes in FM.

finalend69

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2022
puttin all my chips on wreckreation. as feature bare as dangerous driving was it reallllly felt good. the controls and car movement really felt like a burnout 3 extension

Kellemann75

Chicken Chaser
Nov 19, 2019
So glad GT7 is getting VR support, now if just CM`s WRC game and Forza Motorsport gets VR support on pc, this might be the best year ever for racing games.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Pretty excited for the new FM. Will be getting the Fanatech DD Pro and building a new pc. Insane we haven't seen much at all of Test Drive.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Wish the Hot Wheels team at Milestone went back to making one more Gravel game. 😕

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Solar Crown to be good. I never got to play the first two TDUs (stupid me didn't buy TDU2 when it was still on sale for $5 on Steam back in the day and now it's delisted), and Kylotonn have made a bunch of really good WRC games, to the point where I don't think it's obvious EA's going to do better with their take, so the potential for quality is there. I just hope we don't hear that the project has been axed or suffered major issues, because that seems to be the thing everyone's concerned about with the radio silence.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
What er need is true Arcade Racers, we need Out Run , vr compatible.

Yeah, my needs for racing games are going to be a bit different than what's in the OP. I just want Ridge Racer 2 PSP to be available outside of the Plus sub, and for Outrun Coast 2 Coast to get a re-release.

(Maybe a new F-Zero if I'm begging)

There are some nice arcade racers out there now, though. I had some fun with Horizon Chase Turbo, and I'd like to pick up Inertial Drift at some point.

I've had some fun with Forza, though, especially the Horizon games.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
As a huge fan of Dangerous Driving, I'm excited for what Wreckreation will bring, especially with THQ Nordic providing some much needed cash injections. Seeing what the small team alone could do with Dangerous Driving, I can't wait to see the final product.

But open world? Eh. Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, Burnout Paradise doesn't even make the top 50 for me.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the new Forza Motorsport. Really hope it has good wheel support. I'll have to echo others saying FH5 was a disappointment in this regard.

I'm also hoping F1 2023 has PSVR2 support out the gates. Not hearing F1 22 getting updated to support PSVR2 really is a bummer.

Really looking forward to Assetto Corsa 2 next year.

Some life breathed into F-Zero would be awesome...

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Exciting year for sure, especially with Forza Motorsport, GT7 VR and the next WRC (although I don't think we'll see the game in the Spring).

I lost any hope to see the new Solar Crown anytime soon but at least FH5 will receive plenty of updates and a new expansion this year.

OT, you forgot the Quest 2 port of Grid Legends, released this week 😉

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Their Virtual Le Mans event has already gotten in the news given a former F1 championship winner told people to uninstall rFactor 2, the game the event was running on. Very Motorsport Games of the event for that to happen, too.

I think this is the year that company goes under. They've not been making money, and have been banking on holding the NASCAR game rights as their failsafe. For those of you not deep in the racing game space, they put a lot into NASCAR Ignition, legitimately one of the worst racing games ever released in the last 15 years. It still has tracks the AI cannot do multiple laps on without forcing a race restart.

Will be an interesting story as to how people thought for a brief moment this company was coming in to fill the shoes after Codemasters got purchased by EA only to be the lead publisher that has not only sabotaged the licenses it holds, but how by holding those licenses, it's impacted the development of multiple games. iRacing and Automobilista 2 being the two big games I can think of by Motorsport Games holding exclusive rights to Indycar. The only "positive" if there is one is they were planning on buying a mobile developer making Superbike games so they could hold onto that license too, so that meant the developer had to let the SBK license be open again, which then allowed it to be picked up by Milestone. They wanted to have that license and went to buy a developer for it, and they got nothing to show for it now. If one needed any proof Motorsport Games is no different than a company that's a shell to hold onto trademarks at the expense of the broader public, look at the lengths they've gone to buy up the rights to anything of prominence. The current CEO is infamous for this sort of grift, too.

In a just world without any legal tape in the way, iRacing gets the NASCAR rights in full so Monster Games can make console games, Reiza Studios gets the Indycar rights (not in full so it can be used in iRacing too) to make an individual series out of it, and whoever wants to be crazy enough to make a World Endurance Championship simulator in the current era can go right on ahead. Maybe let Codemasters make another BTCC while we're at it, but I don't think EA thinks its viable enough for the market they cater towards.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see if Forza Motorsport leans into the "motorsport" part of it's name or settles for a casual exp similar to GT7.

Robes

Dec 9, 2021
Heh technically the IndyCar game is slated for this year but yeah, not listing it until they prove it's an actual quality product that exists and will release at some point. The sooner they go bankrupt the better.

The Forza Horizon games aren't good at all for wheels, they're very much games focused on gamepads. I think you will notice the difference it really makes in FM.

FM is actually pretty crap with wheels. Hopefully they sort that out with the new one but there are so many concessions to pad players that it doesn't translate well. Assetto Corsa and the like are the only real way to get good wheel support on Xbox.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped for EA WRC and Asetto Competizione's GT2 dlc.

Forza I'll just wait and see, too much disappointment with previous games.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Let's see if Forza Motorsport leans into the "motorsport" part of it's name or settles for a casual exp similar to GT7.

Based on past statements I think you're going to see the new game focus more into actual motorsport in the sense of actual racing cars and classes and a cleaner online racing experience, and less of the "throw in whatever" mentality that peaked with FM7, where they had hundreds of vehicles but there was lots of random SUVs and trucks and novelty cars and shit that no one would ever actually race with. The Motorsport series had become increasingly unfocused, despite bursting with 'raw' content.

In terms of actual fidelity/difficulty I expect it to remain broadly similar to Gran Turismo, with the caveat of whatever simulation advancements being current-gen exclusive (I think?) allows them.

I hope this thing on the 25th shows actual menus and modes and stuff, and isn't just pure racing gameplay.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
FM is actually pretty crap with wheels. Hopefully they sort that out with the new one but there are so many concessions to pad players that it doesn't translate well. Assetto Corsa and the like are the only real way to get good wheel support on Xbox.

This'll be the first Motorsport game since they went all-in on supporting PC again back around 2018, so I'd expect wheel support to improve to some extent.