• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

TheSurge-CuttingEdge-01.jpg

TheSurge-CuttingEdge-05.jpg

TheSurge-CuttingEdge-02.jpg

TheSurge-CuttingEdge-06.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I quite liked this game, but I traded it in long ago, good to see it getting support still.
Genuinely interested to see what the sequel can bring to the table.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I finished the game, I ended up getting lost pretty far in and wasn't sure where to go, I even tried backtracking. The Amusement Park DLC also seems really cool too!

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Will it make that first mech boss easier? That's where I got stuck. Crazy difficulty spike.

Mar 21, 2018
Fantastic. One of my favourite games of last year. I love how they stepped out of Miyazaki's shadow to produce a game with some excellent game mechanics. The Surge 2 is one of most anticipated games.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, these armor designs are amazing. Can't wait for it and The Surge 2!

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Whoa, is that first one the equivalent of the Catarina set?

I really loved the Souls games as well as Nioh... Wonder if I should check this out.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed at how much post launch support there has been when originally the devs were talking about doing nothing in terms of DLC. I'm guessing the game did well enough for them to support it over time like this and of course, the fact that a sequel is coming out.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Every new piece of DLC/news for this game makes me think I need to give it a shot.

Not a big souls guy though...

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the majority of enemy encounters super samey due to general lack of variety. That + cinematic finishers combined with needing to grind limbs for individual gear slots got old fast.

I also wasn't a fan of the bosses or level design.

Ahh see I loved all those mechanics and thought the gameplay loot of cutting off limbs for parts and scrap to be incredibly addicting combined with the really fun combat. That and I loved the level design, felt very old school labyrinth style.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Hopefully these types of crazy armour designs are plentiful in the sequel

Some of the armor was a bit bland in the original version .

Oct 29, 2017
Played the demo and didn't really like it, combat and enemies were kinda boring, the slide running attack wqs cool tho

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh see I loved all those mechanics and thought the gameplay loot of cutting off limbs for parts and scrap to be incredibly addicting combined with the really fun combat. That and I loved the level design, felt very old school labyrinth style.

I always find really interesting how a negative for one person is a major plus for someone else and vice versa.

I'm really glad that this game does have an audience/fans because the studio has made great progress over their last few games.

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
I'm impressed at how much post launch support there has been when originally the devs were talking about doing nothing in terms of DLC. I'm guessing the game did well enough for them to support it over time like this and of course, the fact that a sequel is coming out.

Yeah, Deck13 are very good in this sense. I remember when LotF launched, and they patched in the option to remove chromatic aberration a few days after the release due to fan demand - if only *other developers* were this receptive.

In terms of Soulslikes, how do some of you rank this against Nioh, for example?

I still haven't played Nioh, but from what I understand the combat is better than The Surge's - which is still very good, and it effectively differentiates itself from the Souls series - but the level design is definitely worse. The rest (art direction, etcetera) is obviously subjective.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm ready to jump in but every time its on 'sale' on PSN its still $30. The game has been out long enough that $30 should be its normal price and $15-20 should be its sale price.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I quit that game after the first boss. I should really get back to it. Especially since I want to fill the gap between now and Yakuza 6 / God of War.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Awesome!
The Surge is reall good. I should finally finish it, haha. Got sidetracked by the addon (and then other games as usual).

edit:
This isn't the end for The Surge franchise and we look forward to showing you more about the highly anticipated sequel The Surge 2, coming 2019, at E3 this year.

Wow, trailer at E3 already?

Last edited: