• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Nintendo NL said:
We willen jullie allemaal bedanken! De #NintendoSwitch is in de Benelux al meer dan 500.000 keer verkocht. Wat een geweldige mijlpaal!
Translation said:
We want to thank all of you! The #NintendoSwitch has been sold over 500,000 times in the Benelux. What a great milestone!
Belgium
Netherlands
Luxembourg

I've tried to find previous numbers for the region, but I haven't been able to find them. I will update the OP if I or someone else finds them.

Edit: Nu.nl have an article up:
NU.nl said:
Volgens woordvoerder Bianca Stirnweis-van Dort overtreffen de verkoopcijfers de verwachtingen binnen het bedrijf. "Vanaf de lancering van de Nintendo Switch zien we dat het product momentum heeft", vertelt ze. "En dat is duidelijk het afgelopen jaar nog verder toegenomen."

Nintendo deelt zelden cijfers over de Benelux-markt. Het is daarom ook niet duidelijk of de Switch in Nederland sneller is verkocht dan voorgaande apparaten van het gamebedrijf.
Translation said:
According to spokesperson Bianca Stirnweis-van Dort, the sales numbers exceed the company's internal expectations. "Since the launch of the Switch, we have seen that the product has good sales momentum. And it is clear that this momentum has increased even further during the past year."

Nintendo rarely shares sales numbers for the Benelux market. As a result, it is not clear whether the Switch is selling faster than previous systems released by the game company.

Edit 2: Here are some comparisons to other consoles:
I've found a comparison point: 1 million PS3 consoles sold as of December 2010. So, that's 1M consoles in 4 years. Switch is slightly behind that, but it could very well do that, as well. And PS3 was quite successful in Europe, so that shows some good performance I think.

Last edited:

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I got one for my last birthday and I'm considering buying one for my brother since he passed his last subject for his study today. He has told me many times that he wants a Switch.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Wikipedia is to be believed, that's a combined population of about 29 million, so not bad.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I've found a comparison point: 1 million PS3 consoles sold as of December 2010. So, that's 1M consoles in 4 years. Switch is slightly behind that, but it could very well do that, as well. And PS3 was quite successful in Europe, so that shows some good performance I think.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By Comparison Canada has about 33 million people and if it's roughly 10% of the US market there should be over 1 million Switches in Canada alone.
If I recall correctly, Canada is an especially good market for Nintendo has higher sales per person than the US generally.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I remember start of ps3 was bad. Bad and not mzny games and expensive to buy. It sold more once it got the wiimotes on it. Same for xbox with kinect
Yep, PS3 seems to have done about 250k-300k a year later in its life. Switch is currently at an average of about 200k-250k (500k in 2 years and 4 months), so it's a little slower than PS3's peak years.

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Great job Benelux! West Europe really loves the Switch. I wish the east side would do the same!

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
ITT I wonder "what is a BENELUX"?
Lol
Well, it's explained in the OP, so no need to wonder anymore!
That is Netherlands-only. And that thing was crazy expensive.
Right, my comment was purely for the Benelux area. And I didn't know about the price, that really must have hindered it a lot. Crazy expensive (it explains why so many people of my age had a GameCube lol).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Benelux. Learned something new today, never knew those countries were referred to that way.

That's pretty good I think, at least based on the context by Zedark.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well, it's explained in the OP, so no need to wonder anymore!

Right, my comment was purely for the Benelux area. And I didn't know about the price, that really must have hindered it a lot. Crazy expensive (it explains why so many people of my age had a GameCube lol).

Yes I saw lol. I was just being funny and felt stupid at the same time :)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I would love some number for Latam. That number is good for a small market, but Latam is such a huge potential market that given the right circumstances, we should see it be comparable to japan at least in numbers.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Solid numbers.

The system gets more presence in stores/online all the time, so I'm not that surprised.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ashamed to admit I'm not one of them. Fortunately I'm now in a position to afford it, but with the WSJ rumours/leaks (?) about Nintendo planning to release a Switch Pro soon, a gut feeling tells me to might as well wait it out now.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I can see the Switch selling a good amount more than that when they release the smaller, cheaper, probably sturdier Mini model.

That's when parents buy them for the small kids!

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The first time ever I've personally seen numbers from my region.
The Benelux are too small to really matter, but if they do mention our small part of the world, you can bet it's because (relatively speaking) amazing numbers. :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It is an incredibly common term in the Netherlands. Funny how people outside the Benelux have never even heard of it. I guess that's how these things sometimes work.

Similar to Delmarva in my neck of the woods probably, which I'm sure nobody who lives anywhere else has heard of.

(Delaware, Maryland, Virginia peninsula)

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The first time ever I've personally seen numbers from my region.
The Benelux are too small to really matter, but if they do mention our small part of the world, you can bet it's because (relatively speaking) amazing numbers. :)
Yeah, I think so, too. It's the first time ever that Nintendo has ever given out numbers, and the numbers seem close to what PS3 did in the market, so that should be a strong success for them, considering how strong PlayStation typically is in European markets.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Yeah, I think so, too. It's the first time ever that Nintendo has ever given out numbers, and the numbers seem close to what PS3 did in the market, so that should be a strong success for them, considering how strong PlayStation typically is in European markets.
Wii probably did even better but no real numbers ever come from that for Benelux mostly France and EU as a hole come out of that era.