• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
At the very least, it seems like the lack of a Virtual Console service was a good thing for Neo Geo fans and SNK fans.

The Wii Virtual Console had 54 Neo Geo games.

Tomorrow, Switch will reach 75 Neo Geo games.

I'm going to assume that since it was Nintendo alone that handled all VC releases (emulation, testing, publishing, etc), they could only do so much.
Having different companies releasing the titles at their own pace is much better. The only bad thing is that Nintendo will probably no longer work on release those obscure 3rd party NES/SNES/TG16 titles like they did on the VC.

Oct 30, 2017
It can be.

I still want the option for a ton of GBA, SNES, and N64 games. Those were the platforms I enjoyed the most. I'd also like to see some GCN options.
Most everything else doesn't interest me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Has there been any more information from Sega about when the Sega Ages games are gonna start dropping? Of the initial games I'm really only interested in Sonic 1 and maybe Phantasy Star but I'm super excited to hear about what else they're gonna put out.
I'm looking forward to Alex kid, and phantasy star if it has a mapping feature. And we don't know just summer

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the info. I will order one.

Btw, what was the actual monetary goal? Was it that 42k figure?

Can't recall but I think it was WAY less, like $6000 or something.

Neat about the Atari Flashback. I'm not too big on playing 2600 games these days but the arcade games are worth revisiting. I bought several back in the days of Game Room on the 360. Black Widow and Asteroids are always cool.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't agree more OP, such is why I want to build an arcade cabinet with some high quality Sanwa sticks built into it, a 7.1 sound bar built into the base under the as high quality as I can find 1080p monitor, and a nice subwoofer in the base where the coin bank would usually be, and toss a Switch dock in there somewhere, (probably behind the bar or above the subwoofer on a sturdy shelf), and have my own little high end arcade set up completely facilitated by the Switch's library. That's heaven right there.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Too bad the control sucks. Psp is still better for that. Most of those games require a real dpad and the switch does not have one.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP forgot to mention Romancing Saga 2

That's a remake. Unless it includes the original game in some way, it doesn't count for the purpose of this list.

I couldn't agree more OP, such is why I want to build an arcade cabinet with some high quality Sanwa sticks built into it, a 7.1 sound bar built into the base under the as high quality as I can find 1080p monitor, and a nice subwoofer in the base where the coin bank would usually be, and toss a Switch dock in there somewhere, (probably behind the bar or above the subwoofer on a sturdy shelf), and have my own little high end arcade set up completely facilitated by the Switch's library. That's heaven right there.

Sounds coolio.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I want like this to become a Mario Galaxy Paradise console. Give me my fucking Galaxy games on Switch Nintendo. Please.

Jun 10, 2018
Downloaded Samurai Shodown II earlier today, and I'm happy to say it plays exactly how I remember it - for better or worse.

Took awhile to knock off that 20 year rust, but by an hour in I was already getting into the swing of things again.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Capcom is going to ever port DnD: Chronicles of Mystara to the Switch. The system badly needs more retro Beat 'em Up.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's nice, but...

game_controller--Custom-.jpg

It needs one of these. I've earned my right to complain, I can play Garou decently with the "directional buttons"!

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly has the potential to be the ultimate retro gamer console;

- The NeoGeo library is already quite extensive and will only continue to grow. It's already home to 75 of the system's 148 titles.
- The Sega Ages line could cover Sega's entire run as a console manufacturer and then some. Zero Gunner 2 shows that games up to at least the NAOMI can be emulated pretty well on Switch, which also opens up the door for Dreamcast and Atomiswave software.
- Several publishers are already releasing classic game compilations, probably with more to come.
- Every shmup can be played in TATE mode.
- The Joycons are versatile enough to play arcade ports of racers, flight sims and lightgun games.
- Joycon variants can be used to recreate classic console controllers.

Last but not least, Nintendo's own catalog. It's unfortunate that they seem adamant about keeping their classic NES games locked behind the online paywall, but we know that the Tegra X1 already has a working Wii emulator. This means the Switch could easily emulate everything up to the 7th gen, and with every major Wii U game likely getting ported over to maximize sales, we could be looking at a system that can play every Nintendo game released on a console or handheld (excluding some DS and 3DS titles), at home or on the go.

Unless you're a purist who must play everything on the original hardware, having all of the above on a single device should be incredibly exciting for anyone with an interest in retro games.

Dec 15, 2017
Its made for it. Quick and simple games on the go with no need for powerful hardware. Only disappointing aspect is quite often the prices.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OMG That Kunio collection... Ugh I would love to play RCR in english.
There are reasons to believe it'll make it to the west, but even if it doesn't, the japanese release includes the localized versions of virtually every game that isn't Nintendo World Cup, including RCR!

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Not until Nintendo pulls their finger out and starts putting their classic lineup on the device. It's absolutely insane that the Wii is the only Nintendo system to have a decent selection from the virtual console. I need 16 bit era and above support. Switch doesn't have that. It's worse than Wii U.

I very much agree with this

the collections are nice but the Switch had the potential to be far better but Nintendo is Nintendo...

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
still no virtual console or an equivalent
They already basically confirmed its not coming, which is terribly disappointing. Instead, you'll get drip fed a few titles here and there from their online service that supposedly launches in September. Which I'm fearing may get delayed, because they've been so tight lipped about it. So disappointed that we're over a year into the Switch and we still don't have classic SNES Nintendo games on the eShop. This is just mind boggling to me. Those games would be selling like hotcakes now. But I guess that's their only incentive to keep people subscribing to their inevitably bad online service.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Being able to play retro games in handheld mode makes switch ideal. I do wish they had put a dpad instead of buttons but oh well

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The PC isn't as attractive, you aren't able to play on the go which is a huge selling point. While the Switch can do both on the big screen and on the go.
I mean, if the Switch had a better library of retro games I would agree with this. But as of right now, the Switch is far behind PC for retro gaming

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Loving Garou: Mark of the Wolves currently, pretty much play it every day. Are there any other fighters people would recommend I pick up if I'm digging that one?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Loving Garou: Mark of the Wolves currently, pretty much play it every day. Are there any other fighters people would recommend I pick up if I'm digging that one?
Last Blade 2.

Also, here's a tip you may or may not know about; there is an option in the game config menu to expand the display area without stretching it out. It's not a massive change but it does let you see more of the background and make the games feel more immersive.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized it's Nintendo's first handheld that can actually display all the pixels of a SNES screen.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already basically confirmed its not coming, which is terribly disappointing. Instead, you'll get drip fed a few titles here and there from their online service that supposedly launches in September. Which I'm fearing may get delayed, because they've been so tight lipped about it. So disappointed that we're over a year into the Switch and we still don't have classic SNES Nintendo games on the eShop. This is just mind boggling to me. Those games would be selling like hotcakes now. But I guess that's their only incentive to keep people subscribing to their inevitably bad online service.
Or n64 games or gc games or wii games or ds games.. grrr

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I'll mostly excuse the countless spelling errors in the OP (it's Psikyo, for crying out loud!). But what depresses me about this catalog is that so much of it is piecemeal, individual releases.

On the backwards-compatible (and much smaller!) 3DS and Vita, we had quite a few portable, modestly-priced, well-done collections of classic games. I realize that a lot of these releases are of games we haven't seen before, but many are not, and the asking price is, in many cases, much more this time.

Hamster asking a flat $8 for each and every one of their releases, with no discounts or bundles, is simply insane. This isn't just on Switch, it's on other platforms too, and it's just as crazy on those. Yeah, I'll consider paying $8 for Vs. Super Mario Bros., as it's the first time it's been (legally) available. But for early Neo-Geo games that have been thrown together in cheap bundles half a dozen times before? Is anyone actually paying $8 for the original Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting?

It wouldn't be as bad if it were just Hamster, but a significant number of the games mentioned in the OP are now being sold in the same manner. And yes, I know that Virtual Console was the same way. It's been over 10 years since VC was introduced. Nowadays, in 2018, it would be nice to know that if we buy a digital game, we'll be able to use it for many years to come. So many of us were hoping for a new version of VC that synchronizes your purchases across platforms, rather than make us buy Super Mario Bros. another seven times. Instead, we're getting the opposite; rather than the standardized VC, we're just getting a slew of random digital releases from many different companies, with no uniform standards for features or quality, and absolutely no guarantees that they'll be compatible with what comes next. And, Nintendo seems perfectly happy with this. Isn't anyone else disappointed by this approach...?

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Hmm. Maybe look into The Last Blade 2 and The King of Fighters '98. If you want a less serious, more cartoony fighter, then check out Waku Waku 7.

Oct 30, 2017
Nope.

I prefer Virtual Console games from 3DS and Wii U

Would love to replay games like Super Metroid. And even play games I missed out on such as Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. The lack of SNES, GBA, DS virtual console games is what bothers me. So many high quality 2D games from those systems that I'd love to replay or play for the first time ever.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Last Blade 2.

Also, here's a tip you may or may not know about; there is an option in the game config menu to expand the display area without stretching it out. It's not a massive change but it does let you see more of the background and make the games feel more immersive.

Hmm. Maybe look into The Last Blade 2 and The King of Fighters '98. If you want a less serious, more cartoony fighter, then check out Waku Waku 7.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely pick up The Last Blade 2 and The King of Fighters '98 later today when I download Pocket Rumble.

Oct 30, 2017
There are so many high quality 2D GBA and DS games I have missed out on.

Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Sonic Advance, Ninja Five O, Mario VS DK, Mario Tennis and Golf RPGs, Zelda Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Mario and Luigi, Castlevania, Astro Boy and etc.

Also the lack of online and console modes such as Versus and Training in the Neogeo games are dissapointing. I would have preferred ports like the ones that come out on PS4/Vita.