Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
On the surface I'm a little frustrated about it, but it's an excellent opportunity for Nintendo to give the Switch more games and more people opportunists to play those games. It's a very logical move to give games they've already finished a second chance.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If Nintendo wants to port and remaster games I really wish they'd reach a bit further back. Let's give the TLC to the Gamecube and Wii games that are stuck in 480p. (Or hell, Nintendo 64 games that REALLY need the work.) So many of these Wii U ports are already running in high definition and in 60fps in some cases. They just feel too soon.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm cool with it. Would like if they brought Capn' Toads Treasure Tracker over, but i'll pick it up on my Wii U at some point.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As maybe the Wii U's biggest fan, I'm super happy they're coming over. The 1st party output on that machine was insane and should be experienced by everyone. Some of Nintendo's greatest efforts are completely locked on the Wii U which is a shame. As long as they keep adding some kind of content, I would say it's justified and they've been doing great at it so far. I'm not butthurt at all with all of these ports because the portability is adding a huge feature that I didn't have before. And it can't be taking that much work to do these right?

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with the porting to fill in gaps while they create new games. That said, I already bought these games on Wii U so the lineup seems much thinner to me. I did really love Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even though I had already played it. I think that the Wii U audience was so small that it's good for games like Tropical Freeze to get an audience. It was a great game that deserved better than it got. The same for Bayonetta 2.

I hope Nintendo is just doing this temporarily. As a long time fan, they have a habit of having a few awesome games and then long periods of nothing.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ultimately happy more players play good games, but I'm more just annoyed that the WiiU was the Switch beta version. The Gamecube was a failure, but it remains a great console with unique games that failed for complex reasons, and that will always have a place of value in the pantheon of the medium. The WiiU just failed due to poor design, and Nintendo is clearly hoping everyone forgets it ever existed.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Not only did not so many have a WiiU - even among those that did, not nearly enough have bought many of these games...

Uncle0wnage

Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Perfectly fine with it, good games are still good games, even if they are ports. Probably won't be buying many of them unless the price is right. With tropical freeze being $20 as a nintendo select on the wiiu, I don't think I could go any higher than $30 for the switch version. May have to sell off my wii u version to make it affordable.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Wii U and I played most of the best games on it, but I sold it before the Switch came out knowing they would port all the games over. I figured waiting a few years to rebuild that library wouldn't be difficult. But lately I've begun to get impatient and regretful. I'm really happy about Hyrule and Donkey Kong, but the game that's actually bugging me the most right now is 3D World, which appears to be one of the last ports that will arrive.

All that's left is 3D World, Mario Maker, and the Zelda remasters. Then I will feel complete.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I am fine with it. A lot of people skipped the Wii U but the platform had a decent library. I am happy people can enjoy games like Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta on the new system.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
Never played Tropical Freeze so this is a great opportunity and I enjoy playing platformers on a handheld

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
a Xenoblade X port would be nice

I need to buy a second Wii U just so I will be able to replay that game in the future

Aaron Stack

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It's made it apparent how pointless buying the WiiU was. I can't even really call someone these remasters like PS3 to PS4 can be.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's not really how it works. A console that sells a lot will sell a lot of games. Look at Mario Kart on Wii vs on Wii U. Or Donkey Kong Country on Wii vs DKC on Wii U.
But I'm talking about me. I don't care about how much money Nintendo make each year. I care about what games I get.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I hope Nintendo is just doing this temporarily. As a long time fan, they have a habit of having a few awesome games and then long periods of nothing.

What's hilarious, in hindsight, is that if you were a Wii U owner you were more or less used to Nintendo's usual months-long dry spells. But if you're a Switch owner now you're getting those dry spells again because Nintendo is simply plugging those dry spells full of games you already played.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm happy about it. At some point I stopped buying WiiU games because I didn't want to spend money on a dead console so there are quite a few games I missed out on.
A lot of the WiiU games are too good to just be thrown in the dust bin of history so it's good to see that more people will be able to enjoy them.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more than ok with it. I loved the Wii U but it sold so poorly that there are a ton of people who never had the chance to play the fantastic games the system had.

I say port all of the major ones over!

I just need Smash, Pikmin 3, and Xenoblade X ported over and I can put my Wii U in a closet, never to play again.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that more people will able to play these games. I know a number of folks who had a Wii and have a Switch, but skipped over the Wii U, so these games will be new for them.

As someone who sat through all of the Wii U's droughts, though, I expected a more steady stream of new software.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It means I get to save money, since I generally don't re-buy games unless I absolutely adore them. And with the exception of Smash Bros. 4 there wasn't a game on the Wii U that fits that bill for me.

It also means my Switch is going to go fairly unused for the next six months, though, and that's a bummer.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's really important to remember that these ports are not impeding original titles, since Nintendo generally farms them out to external companies.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same as any other Nintendo portable system. I like playing last gens console games on the go.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
If they're charging full price for them, then Nintendo can fuck off with that nonsense.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love it, I want the Switch to have versions of all of the greatest Nintendo games ever made.

Just want them to do HD releases of GC and Wii games now and then the rest via VC

TZchassis

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis Aces & MK8D is more of what I want them to do. Make new better games rather than adding a new character or a couple of skins like DKCTF, HW & Pokken

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You got a new Mario, Zelda, Splatoon in the first year....

I am honestly struggling here to understand the salt

The Nintendo switch offering great games doesn't make up for the hundreds of dollars I dropped on the WiiU.

I could have skipped the WiiU generation entirely and not missed out on anything but Nintendo land and SM3DW (which feels like it will inevitably be ported) at this point.

I guess as someone who dropped a huge amount of money on a Wiiu and games shouldn't Nintendo at least offer a small discount to people like me who own a Wiiu copy of Hyrule Warriors and DKTF and want to upgrade to switch.

Like I said this wouldn't be so annoying if they dropped the prices but both of those games will probably still be full price in a few years.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a great way to fill the lineup, and it will give people who haven't played the originals stuff to play. if you got the original versions and the new content doesn't excite you, it's easy to ignore these.
i feel like people are being too hard on nintendo. porting old games to new consoles isn't some new concept they came up with. it happened so much last gen and it's still happening now with old games getting remasters and definite editions and hd upres versions on ps4/xb1

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
A few games to port in my opinion, so everyone can experience the good games Wii U had.
I liked some of the games but never the console.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo wants to port and remaster games I really wish they'd reach a bit further back. Let's give the TLC to the Gamecube and Wii games that are stuck in 480p. (Or hell, Nintendo 64 games that REALLY need the work.) So many of these Wii U ports are already running in high definition and in 60fps in some cases. They just feel too soon.

But that's exactly why they're able to get these games out so quickly, and without having to expend many resources.

Porting Tropical Freeze over isn't nearly as large of a project as "remastering" Returns would be.

But I would imagine that the success of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD means that Nintendo is indeed working on similar remasters/remakes for the future.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I have 6 Wii U games. 3 are already on the Switch (Pokken, BOTW, & Mario Kart 8). 1 is coming to the Switch (Bayonetta 2). I don't know the future of the other 2 (Xenoblade Chronicles X & Smash Bros) on the Switch. I would like for Nintendo to just make Smash 5, fuck a port. I also don't think XCX is coming to Switch.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just had a realization that being a Wii U owner meant you often had to deal with dry spells with no new game releases.

If you're a Wii U owner that now owns a Switch you're still dealing with those same dry spells, because Nintendo simply decided to plug 'em with Wii U ports...games you already played.

Fucking hilarious.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Lets more people play the great games that the dumpster fire that is the Wii U had. It's a good thing! I can always still play the WiiU versions whenever i want so i don't see why there'd be a problem.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly better than having no games, so I'm more than fine with it. Use ports to fill the gaps in order to make the year seem more filled with new releases.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see the ports sold for $40-$50 instead of the full $60, but other than that I'm fine with it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Tropical freeze and bayo 2 were too amazing to die on Wii u.

More people need access to them, and I support their arrival completely even if I have no plans to buy them again.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I just had a realization that being a Wii U owner meant you often had to deal with dry spells with no new game releases.

If you're a Wii U owner that now owns a Switch you're still dealing with those same dry spells, because Nintendo simply decided to plug 'em with Wii U ports...games you already played.

Fucking hilarious.
Unless you're only playing Nintendo games, stuff like Darkest Dungeon, Dark Souls etc. never have been on a Nintendo platform, not to mention the argument for portability. The Switch is getting Indie support the WiiU could only dream of.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Them porting Wii U games over to Switch is a big reason why I got a Switch in the first place. I never got a Wii U and the prospect of playing them on the Switch, alongside their new titles is what drove me to get one.

I want Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD to get ported again, I'm glad Bayo 2 and Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze are being ported over. I want this. I want Pikmin 3 to be ported over.