• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Not at all. It rounds out the system's library and makes it an overall more attractive package. And since many people will be experiencing these games for the first time, they might as well be new to those folks.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yea that's great. Most likely Nintendo just views this as an easy way to make money, fill its library, and they know gamers who have never played some of these games like DK:TF will think about buying them (like me).

And while these ports get pushed out, the original dev studios are working on brand new projects.

Win win.
Yup. Like I said, DKCR3 is pretty much a no brainier (whatever fictitious big boy game you think Retro's working on)

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
For me, Yes. Although there appears to be people who would be happy with a system which never released a new game and just provided a portable outlet for well regarded older games so I don't think it could ever reach a point for those people where it becomes "too much".

This. Like I said in the other thread. There are a a handful of WiiU games and old ports that I missed and would like to play. But I skipped WiiU because it had a weak line-up that didn't justify the price -- not because I couldn't take those games on the go.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot of the originals on Switch but have not touch some of them because I could bother with the Wii U anymore. I am very glad the ports exists as now I can enjoy them properly. All I need now is a port of TMS and I will be very satisfied.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
IMO making a game portable where it was not before is a perfectly acceptable reason to port a game. The power the switch has means that there should be a relatively large number of ports.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Good games are good games. As long as it helps to strengthen the console position during its first years, it's ok. Exclusives will come eventually.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
As a previous Wii U owner, please port all the good games. Smash, Wonderful 101, TMS #FE, Captain Toad and Xenoblade Chronicles X next please.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already said this in the other thread but I think it's perfectly acceptable, the only issue I have right now is that the ports I want aren't being announced yet. I really want to play games like Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Wonderful 101 and a few others so even if the games announced so far aren't blowing my skirt up it gives me hope that they will come eventually.

Kosma

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No one played the Wii U games so its a good strategy

3rd party ports is more the cube, wii and wii u got so its also nice

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Need Xeno X and TMS first on the system.

Then we can talk.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
It's nice for those that never owned a Wii U, but there is no way I'm double dipping on Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze. The novelty of Zelda musou wore off quickly and while DK was fun, I don't feel like replaying it.

TWEWY at least adds a new scenario.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
With the news of the Nvidia Shield getting HD Wii ports such as Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess in China, the tech is pretty much there to put them on the Switch too, no?

I was hoping that we'd get Galaxy HD or the Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD because 4 is coming up.

Do you think they'll give us some Wii ports?

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
The only port that made me groan was Hyrule Warriors, but that's mostly because I just don't care about that game at all. Everything else is a welcome addition to the Switch library.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the Wii U games deserved more attention so porting them makes sense.

It's fine as long as ports are not made in lieu of new ones, and Nintendo has more than enough resources to do both.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still missing Mario Maker, so Im not fully happy yet.

Though Im sure we will see it by years end

Please...

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
The Switch was port-heavy from the moment it came out. Its biggest launch game, Zelda BOTW, was a Wii U port.

And yet it seems to be doing just fine, so I think that folks are okay with this. Port-heavy? Absolutely. Too port-heavy? Probably not.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
It's the first handheld that can consistently deliver consple experiences on the go, being port heavy is a plus.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With the news of the Nvidia Shield getting HD Wii ports such as Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess in China, the tech is pretty much there to put them on the Switch too.

I was hoping that we'd get Galaxy HD or the Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD because 4 is coming up.

Do you think they'll give us some Wii ports?
I wouldn't be surprised if they headlined a VC launch in the Autumn, retooled for joycon play.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one I'd want the most is Xenoblade chronicles and I'm not sure they would bother since they just remastered it for the 3DS not too long ago.

Derfy

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I dont like that. Already played those games on Wii U. The good way is the Microsoft one. Have access at what you already paid for. If people that havent supported Nintendo are happy good for them. For me it s a stab on the back I want new games I ve never played.

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No matter how many ports they are, if they release original games on this console then it's fine.

But there's no original games coming soon except one Kirby and Mario Tennis which is a little barebones if you ask me

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Pretty sure Splatoon 2 was made from scratch.

I'm a Wii U owner day 1 and I'm happily rebuying Beyonetta 1/2 and Donkey Kong. I already rebought, Pokken and Mario Kart 8 and don't regret it one bit because there was enough incentive for me to do so.

The resources required to bring about these enhanced ports are nothing compared to what goes into a full on sequel and now mother fletchers will actually give games like Donkey Kong a chance.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I loved Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U, played it for 300+ hours and could play even more. If the port adds new stuff (I missed the 3DS version, so it's a "yes" for me), then I'm interested.

Same goes for Mario Kart 8. Loved it on the Wii U, played it for 300+ hours, still want more, I'm glad the Switch version adds stuff.

Honestly, I haven't brought the Switch yet, but if they announce a Xenoblade X with new content, you bet I'll be there. It's my favorite game EVER.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all.

Almost no one played the Wii U games, for obvious reasons. It's the perfect way to give a second life to those games and make the Switch library more software-rich.

Basically, it's win-win for everyone.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely. For me I have the original titles on other systems so the ports are no incentive for me to want to buy one.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is not news, starting with the PS3, all the consoles had ports to fill up their release schedule.
Now they must be careful to not rely exclusively on them, and there is indeed new games releasing with them.

I guess you could make the argument that nobody bought a Wii U too.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
As someone who is not yet interested in Switch mostly because I still have a very long Wii U backlog, I'm okay with this. It means that I won't need to buy a Switch for a while longer.

The fact that more folks will get to experience these great games is also good.

Still missing Mario Maker, so Im not fully happy yet.

Don't hold your breath for that one. I'm not certain that Nintendo will release it on a single-screen system. But I've been wrong before.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
They're also purchased under the premise of a retro experience and not as a new system for new experiences.

Sure, but Switch is also purchased under the premise of accessing your Nintendo games on the go.

People obviously want the new games, but this premise can still apply to older games, too. See: Mario Kart 8, which has probably surpassed Zelda by now. I want all of Nintendo's library on Switch eventually, if it's possible.

edit: Worth noting, also announced today for non-Nintendo platforms: remasters of Dark Souls, Final Fantasy XII (PC), and fucking Assassin's Creed Rogue

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that it's unreasonable to assume that the Switch is being propped up by even a 'majority' of Wii U owners. That's not how console cycles work - nobody assumes that the PS4's sustained success is thanks solely to PS3 fans showing up at the door, because that'd be silly, but those sorts of mental gymnastics are common when discussing Nintendo - and Switch isn't going to outsell the Wii U's ltd in the first year simply because most Wii U owners showed up a lot earlier this time, which is what you've suggested. Switch has seen the success it has in its first year specifically -because- it has wider appeal than the Wii U. More people wanted it, so more people bought it.
I didn't say solely or all of. 60% can be a majority. I never said overwhelming majority. Do you know anyone who owned a Wii U though with no plans of getting a Switch? I would be interested in an actual survey on this.

I think once a new Pokemon comes out, the Switch will get most of the handheld userbase and be fine anyway.