OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, was this already in the PS4 Version? There were only 2 Soundtracks available, I think...interesting!

Also how do I buy the japanese Version? I reckon my european PayPal won't just work in the japanes Store..?
I believe all three soundtracks were there with the deluxe steelbook PS4 edition? If I'm remembering correctly.
All three were there but I believe you had to pre-order to get one of those (the OST version i think). In the PC & Switch & Xbox version you have immediate access to the three

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is music to my ears. The PS4 remaster was fantastic and I was a little worried that this might end up too big of a compromise.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I love the game, the setting, the music, so I'll probably end up getting it on Switch at some point lol (already have for PS2 and PS4). Hearing the music in that video is enough to grab me again.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I would call it black magic, it's a PS2 game that originally fit in a single-layered DVD.

I imagine the case here is that data management on the PS4 is woefully unoptimized.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, They didn't screw it up like they did with the other FFs? Nice

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
So how about the audio quality then? Does it retain that awful "people talking with buckets on their heads" effect as on PS2?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen this many people shit on FFX

good people in here
As a game it is fine more or less, just the re-releases haven't been great.
Not sure if I would call it black magic, it's a PS2 game that originally fit in a single-sided DVD.

I imagine the case here is that data management on the PS4 is woefully unoptimized.
Probably just a boat load of uncompressed audio and video on the PS4 version, just because they can.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
A bit off topic but I was amazed that my 2012 thinkpad x230 is able to emulate FFXII at like 60fps using PCSX2. Thanks square.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to play this again... and I just played it last year on PS4. One of my favorites.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
ps2 game running on ps3 3.5 hardware total shocker.

I'm beginning to think any game running on the switch is black magic these days.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm. I made it halfway through XII last time I tried to play it, but I've never gotten further than that; it just feels so grindy to me, and the combat is particularly slow (I wish it was more like XIV instead of XI tbh). Portability is a huge draw for me, though, and I've heard such good things about the game even though Ivalice doesn't really hold my interest. With the speed-up function, I might actually like it. If I wasn't a fan of the original, would TZA be worth it?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
ps2 game running on ps3 3.5 hardware total shocker.

I'm beginning to think any game running on the switch is black magic these days.

People really going out of their way to be disingenuous ITT.

This isn't the PS2 version. It's based on the 40GB remastered PS4 version, and includes even more content besides, at a fraction of the size.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generic lossless data compression techniques allow 50-60% size reduction.

1080p assets are 25% of the size of 4k assets.

So, if you're converting 4K PS4 assets to a Switch build that will output at 1080p or lower, you can reduce file size for graphics by 75% without any compression techniques.

It's not that amazing, what's more amazing is how lazy devs get in bloating their games nowadays. They get 100GB to play with and ship a game with 80GB that could be lossless compressed to 40-50GB, or to 20GB with 97% fidelity, just because they can.

It's lazy

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This rules. I've never played FFXII, so I'm really curious to try this out. Any tips/ suggestions from vets of the game?
Pick your jobs wisely. The original FFXII let everyone learn everything. This one segments off who can learn what with specific job boards. Making sure to make good choices with regards to who learns what is key.

Nevermind! Apparently jobs are changeable in this version. That will help greatly.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Masterpiece. Buy it and dont think twice.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmm. I made it halfway through XII last time I tried to play it, but I've never gotten further than that; it just feels so grindy to me, and the combat is particularly slow (I wish it was more like XIV instead of XI tbh). Portability is a huge draw for me, though, and I've heard such good things about the game even though Ivalice doesn't really hold my interest. With the speed-up function, I might actually like it. If I wasn't a fan of the original, would TZA be worth it?

The speed-up function is literally game-changing. Makes things so snappy and pleasant.

This rules. I've never played FFXII, so I'm really curious to try this out. Any tips/ suggestions from vets of the game?
Pick your jobs wisely.

They're changeable in this version, so no need to be careful with job selection!

Unlike the original game, there are no important missables IIRC, so just have fun.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • and of course you get the new features like the ability to respec your jobs and the three gambits set
giphy.gif

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The speed-up function is literally game-changing. Makes things so snappy and pleasant.

They're changeable in this version, so no need to be careful with job selection!

Unlike the original game, there are no important missables IIRC, so just have fun.
Oh! Well, then! Nevermind :)

I'll learn to read one of these days, I promise.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait do we know for a fact it's not 720 handheld? Cause that's gonna really chafe my ass. This is a PS2 game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Zodiac Age destroys the original for me. Fast forward eliminates basically all of the tedium.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Zodiac Age destroys the original for me. Fast forward eliminates basically all of the tedium.

Good to know! I think I'll look up some videos, maybe wait for TZA to go on sale (I don't make much money lol), but this is encouraging. I feel like I at least need to experience it fully, even if I don't end up liking it as much as a lot of XII fans do. Thanks :)

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually cried tears of joy when i first played the PC port. It looked so crisp and clean and had so features. I am so tempted in buying a switch for this port...

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Is there really any need for this kind of hyperbole?

It's a PS2 game that originally shipped on a 7-9 GB DVD. Are we surprised a late port on the Switch comes in at 12GB.

Fawning over the size of game data on a cartridge now? Really?

I think the very minor differences in appearance and performance between a 12 GB cart and a 40 GB download are worth mentioning. The Switch has shown time and time again that compact, down-sized versions of many games perform very well, which goes against the grain where Xbox/PS4 console and PC players are concerned. So much emphasis on the highest quality graphics and resolutions makes it seem as if massive file sizes and the best possible textures are necessary for a good game.

Here's a 12GB portable version of a PS2 game with basically all of the PS4 bells and whistles built in. That is impressive even if you don't care about it personally.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They couldn't get to 720p in handheld mode??? its a PS2 game! :^O

Very impressive that they got it to 12 GB

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone saying it's a PS2 game have no idea what they're talking about
  • There isn't anything much to miss out on so you can have fun however you want without fear of missing stuff
  • You can customize the battle system however you want to: you can speed up the gauge in the option, and also make it fully real-time
  • Gambits are valuable so you should buy what you need at the shop so you can customize them (though they're not mandatory if you don't want to program your team)
  • You can respec your jobs so you don't have to agonize over it anymore
  • There are a dozen weapon types and a lot of them doesn't have strength as their main modifier for damage. You should experiment having builds that focuses on magic or speed, experiment and don't focus on one single weapon type
  • NPCs have a lot of things to say that are really interesting about the world, and they have new dialogue for almost every story beat, and they also don't say dumb shit so it's worth it to talk to as much people as you can to immerse yourself in this world and have a lot of context of what's going on around you
  • There are sidequests in this game outside of hunts but they're not marked so you should speak to people to trigger them, they're not very important but fun to do nonetheless
  • Enemies doesn't drop gils, they drop loot you have to sell and they allow for items int he bazaar to be unlocked in which you get cool stuff at a discount, you should prioritize selling loot in bulk so you can get bazaar stuff from time to time
  • Stealing is very useful to earn money in this game, make good use of it as it is an innate skill of some characters
  • There's no point in equipping the diamond armlet that gives better loot from chests, it doesn't matter and sometimes is even detrimental to receive the "good" loot in a chest

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Great to hear! Feared, that the audio would be shit quality wise (Virtuos porting and all...) But seems promising.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I honestly would have purchased a Switch for this if iOS devices never got remote play. I'll still buy this when I eventually do get a Switch, because that job respec stuff sounds amazing, and since I don't think it's coming to PS4, it's the only place I'll get to try it. Great job by the team, looks like a fantastic port and I'm excited for it.