• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At first I postponed getting a Switch because the impracticality of the USB port made me want to wait for a hardware revision with better joycons, ergonomics and USB placement. But then my office gave me one as a present (I almost cried out of joy).

I pretty early on bought the NS-Adapter so I can use my Wii U pro controllers, and a carrying bag from Amazon so I can house everything in there (I won't use the console that much on the TV), but then I realized again that the USB-C placement is completely impractical. I now have to buy a stand or something for it to work.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this, like a USB-C adapter with such a miniscule footprint that it doesn't knock the Switch off the stand, or a grip of some sort that gives you a port on the back or something?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A third party stand is the only thing I've seen so far. Would have loved it more if the USB port was on the side and the system slid into it horizontally

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There are third party stands that lift the Switch off the surface and expose the USB port, if that's what you mean.

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I personally love that it uses USB-C, since that is the same port my phone uses. Only have to travel with a single cable.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The title is very misleading because USB-C is not really a design flaw. I guess you are criticising the placement.

Feb 1, 2018
The worst part about Nintendo's USB-C implementation in the Switch is that it doesn't really follow the design rules and thus won't work with most other USB-C devices (cables, chargers, etc). It only works with their own shit and shit they license out.

So much for being a "universal" port.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
The worst part about Nintendo's USB-C implementation in the Switch is that it doesn't really follow the design rules and thus won't work with most other USB-C devices (cables, chargers, etc). It only works with their own shit and shit they license out.

I have like 5 chargers throughout my house and one in my office. None of which are Nintendo branded or licensed by them. And nothing cost me more than $15.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Don't think that's true. They just need to be the correct voltage I believe.

A second USB-C port, or a port on the back which the dock slides the connector into, would've been a better choice.
I don't think the Switch internals would allow for such an orientation of the USB port.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Works perfectly with all my USB-C stuff.
My Honor 8 charger/cable
My anker stuff
Other USB-C phone cables i've tried.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I think this could have been fixed is to have another port, but on the top. But again, the inside of the system is jam packed.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I came here expecting it to be about how the USB C port doesn't adhere to the "official" USB C specs hence all these Switches getting fried by third party docks.
And I don't feel like the USB port is a design flaw at all. They had to decide if they wanted to put at the top or bottom of the Switch and I feel like the top would be more annoying tbh. You might get by with an angled USB C cable though I don't know if any of these exist. Your best chance would be the Hori stand.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
No, because dropping it into the dock wouldn't be as foolproof if the USB port were in any other place, and the idea that they should just add another USB-C port for a single use case (tabletop mode while charging) seems ridiculous to me when there is already a solution built into the hardware (handheld mode while charging).

edit: for example, here's why one of the common suggestions wouldn't work

A second USB-C port, or a port on the back which the dock slides the connector into, would've been a better choice.

They couldn't put a USB on the back of the device. It would mean you couldn't slide it out if the dock.

Feb 1, 2018
I have like 5 chargers throughout my house and one in my office. None of which are Nintendo branded or licensed by them. And nothing cost me more than $15.
Don't think that's true. They just need to be the correct voltage I believe.
Works perfectly with all my USB-C stuff.

Consider yourselves lucky.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16706803

https://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-issues-switch-usb-c-cable-warning-06526394/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...e_switch_is_not_usbc_compliant_and_overdraws/

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't put a USB on the back of the device. It would mean you couldn't slide it out if the dock.

Oct 29, 2017
The USB-C being on the underside is not a design flaw. The design flaw is that it is not Thunderbolt 3 or equivalent compliant, and so it can't use an eGPU.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I came here expecting it to be about how the USB C port doesn't adhere to the "official" USB C specs hence all these Switches getting fried by third party docks.
And I don't feel like the USB port is a design flaw at all. They had to decide if they wanted to put at the top or bottom of the Switch and I feel like the top would be more annoying tbh. You might get by with an angled USB C cable though I don't know if any of these exist. Your best chance would be the Hori stand.
It couldn't solely be in the top anyway. You'd have to dock it upside down in that case.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The dock connects via the bottom. Yes, it uses metal contacts as opposed to the actual usb c port, but I bet there's a single mechanism in that area to save space.

Just charge it when you're not using it. Are you really going to be playing in tabletop mode for three hours at a time? In handheld mode you can play while it's charging.

NoPiece

Oct 28, 2017
The only way I think this could have been fixed is to have another port, but on the top. But again, the inside of the system is jam packed.

Just recess it 1/4 inch with an open back, and the dock would still work, and you could use L shaped plugs or an L shaped adapter to let it stand flat the ground.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This. Nintendo wanted to trick people into thinking Switch is a console. The dock is literally just an empty plastic box. But that was the first thing they showed, the box. To pull off this trick the connection had to be at the bottom of the portable unit. There is no other place to put it. Rationally speaking the best solution would be a small black box with a 2 foot usbC cable and 3 ports (HDMI, USB, power). it could be tiny, only a few inches wide. Put the port on the top of the Switch. This allows the switch to stand on its own. you have less plastic. Less chances for scratching. easier to connect. Its better in every way. UNLESS you are trying trick consumers into thinking it's a console. You know its going to cost $300, which is steep for a portable.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Just recess it 1/4 inch with an open back, and the dock would still work, and you could use L shaped plugs or an L shaped adapter to let it stand flat the ground.
There is no room for that.

198abb315c6034a802e63c12c213495408237648-800x420.jpg

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dock connects via the bottom. Yes, it uses metal contacts as opposed to the actual usb c port, but I bet there's a single mechanism in that area to save space.

Just charge it when you're not using it. Are you really going to be playing in tabletop mode for three hours at a time? In handheld mode you can play while it's charging.

It's more the impracticality of not being able to use the USB C port, at all, while playing in tabletop mode.

Yesterday me and a friend played Puyo Puyo Tetris in tabletop mode. I had a Wii U Pro Controller, and he used the joycons, and it was near impossible to get the Switch to stand up with the NS Adapter attached to it.

OP
OP
Fudgepuppy

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda place do you work where you get a games console as a gift? Damn son. Ain't ragging, straight up jelly over here.

It's customer support. They hand out like 4 PS4's, Marshall Speakers and cameras every month to the top performers. They knew I wanted a Switch more than a PS4 though, so they got me one instead.

Oct 25, 2017
In any case, the HORI stand should be enough for you, collapsable, multiple angles, space to plug a charger through, cheap.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's something that will never change. Eventual Switch revisions will keep the port in the exact same place.

Oct 26, 2017
It's unlikely to change I'd say, however, future revisions could potentially have their "stands" revised so that when stood up in tabletop mode, there is a gap between the bottom of the system and the standing surface.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
This. Nintendo wanted to trick people into thinking Switch is a console. The dock is literally just an empty plastic box. But that was the first thing they showed, the box. To pull off this trick the connection had to be at the bottom of the portable unit. There is no other place to put it. Rationally speaking the best solution would be a small black box with a 2 foot usbC cable and 3 ports (HDMI, USB, power). it could be tiny, only a few inches wide. Put the port on the top of the Switch. This allows the switch to stand on its own. you have less plastic. Less chances for scratching. easier to connect. Its better in every way. UNLESS you are trying trick consumers into thinking it's a console. You know its going to cost $300, which is steep for a portable.

The problem with this is that the user friendliness of the Switch revolves very much around the process of setting the Switch in the dock, then sliding the Joy-Con off the Switch while it's sturdily in place in the dock.

1) If the dock is smaller, it's less sturdy and therefore the experience of removing (or attaching) Joy-Con while docked is less ideal, since the Switch is more likely to wobble or fall over, or you'd need to remove the Joy-Con before docking (which also isn't the best IMO).

2) If the USB-C port is on top, you have to flip the unit upside down to dock it (or else fumble with cables every time you want to dock it? ew).

The only way you get it to work is by adding another USB-C port, and to do that you have to either add unnecessary bulk to the device (which makes it less portable) or find a way to shrink the internals (which makes it more expensive, on top of the expense of adding another port to begin with).

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The problem with this is that the user friendliness of the Switch revolves very much around the process of setting the Switch in the dock, then sliding the Joy-Con off the Switch while it's sturdily in place in the dock.

1) If the dock is smaller, it's less sturdy and therefore the experience of removing (or attaching) Joy-Con while docked is less ideal.

2) If the USB-C port is on top, you have to flip the unit upside down to dock it (or else fumble with cables every time you want to dock it? ew).

The only way you get it to work is by adding another USB-C port, and to do that you have to either add unnecessary bulk to the device (which makes it less portable) or find a way to shrink the internals (which makes it more expensive, on top of the expense of adding another port to begin with).
1. I don't have any trouble pulling off joycons in portable mode
2. No I'm suggesting just a cable from the "dock" to the top of the Switch. this is the solution Microsoft is now using with surface and Dell as well. Google USB-C docks or Surface Dock.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
1. I don't have any trouble pulling off joycons in portable mode

It's not that people "have any trouble" with removing them while undocked. It's that the design allows you to very comfortably remove (and attach) them while docked. There's a reason why this experience was the first thing they showed about the new hardware, and a reason why their brand and logo revolve around it.

No I'm suggesting just a cable from the "dock" to the top of the Switch. this is the solution Microsoft is now using with surface and Dell as well. Google USB-C docks or Surface Dock.

Like I said, anything involving a cable immediately removes the part of the experience that differentiates it and makes it so easy, modern, and intuitive. One of the things I like most about my Switch is that I very, very rarely need to interact with a cable at all.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Having an accelerometer added to the Switch via a revision and placing the headphone jack next to the USBC port. Or replacing the headphone jack with a 2nd USBC port would be the most logical fixes.

Not sure how easy they would be to impliment though

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is a very confusing thread.

Btw dude just be careful of third party docks. They can brick your system

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say the USB C is the least of the switches design problems.

The whole thing as amazing as the console is, is something that should have been QA tested a lot more, I've never owned a Nintendo product which is as non durable as the switch.

From cracks around the screws, Wifi drops, joy cons failing, joy cons just slide out with no need to clip etc etc... if there is a reported problem with the switch I've pretty much had the same issue with mine.

To make matters worse I've also had a new 3DS give me the black screen of death, yet both screens will happily display in safe mode!!