shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
30 million more and it would have Mulan numbers!

Film is going to do bank when it comes out this winter.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was always the weirdest criticism to me because a) what people seem to measure a movie's cultural impact by is the amount of memes it propagates, which is hardly a marker of quality and b) that I very distinctly remember all the stories (and even studies) about people getting depressed cause they couldn't actually go to Pandora, which seems pretty culturally impactful to me, I dunno.
also it had a huge SNL skit like 5 years after it released. people remember it even doesn't have a billion dollars in merch

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Film is going to do bank when it comes out this winter.

Yup, there's a good reason WB moved Shazam 2 way the hell away from Avatar 2 XD They know it's gonna be a smash.

*Actually, it looks like they did the opposite and moved it to December. Well that's certainly...confident of them.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. It's a good teaser. Not giving anything away but definitely hits in the feels with that music. I think this movie is gonna have a sad ending too like empire strikes bad. They are gonna lose before they win.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, there's a good reason WB moved Shazam 2 way the hell away from Avatar 2 XD They know it's gonna be a smash.

*Actually, it looks like they did the opposite and moved it to December. Well that's certainly...confident of them.
Shazam is family friendly just like Avatar. The traffic Way of Water brings is actually good for Shazam because people will go out to see that afterward or before. It's smart imo.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer was beautiful. The shot choices and music felt like I was watching an alien nature documentary lol.

Movies gonna be huge for the escapism it will promise yet again

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it now. It won't even play there.
There's actually a serious chance you're right.

People forget the Chinese government pulled the first film from cinemas because they were worried how much it was pervading social conversation and replaced it with a film about Confucius.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Avatar is basically the launching point for the modern era of film in China. Avatar 2 is gonna be for China what TFA was for the US. If it's allowed the chance, anyway. Which it very well might not be.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the teaser... I'm in!

I hadn't fully re-watched Avatar in years, only turning it on to fall asleep to randomly. I did recently re-watch it though and really enjoyed it. I totally see why it was such an appealing movie. The 3D in theaters was excellent but visually the movie holds up really well for being 13 years old now. it has some pretty big highs and some emotional moments and great direction with a very solid musical score.

I would love to watch a HQ 3D rip on my Quest 2 in Big Screen. Not really sure how exactly to make that happen based on some searches but it would be pretty nice.

Avatar: Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom was one hell of an experience too.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
i don't think there was ever any doubt among sane people that there'd be a ton of interest in avatar 2 and it'd make box office bank.

i do still think there is doubt that it'll be good enough to get people to watch three more of them! but we'll see.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a serious chance you're right.

People forget the Chinese government pulled the first film from cinemas because they were worried how much it was pervading social conversation and replaced it with a film about Confucius.
Not to mention god knows what they might find objectionable. Not playing NWH because the Statue of Liberty is in it is lol.

If it does do "poorly" it'll be because it misses China due to their BS.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Lol if this beats Endgame there will be a nerd war on our hands.
Disney (Having both Avengers Endgame and Avatar):

this.jpg

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Me and the wife saw the trailer when we saw Dr Strange. Neither of us have seen the first one (probably the only two hasn't lol) but this trailer did nothing for us. Maybe should give 1 a watch.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
but who actually cares about avatar? i never really hear anyone talk about it? name a character.......blablabilbublablala

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I saw Avatar as my first 3D movie and it was an amazing technical marvel with the 3D.

That's it. That's the only positive thing I can say about it. It's clear that it hits a sweet spot in the same way Transformers or Star Wars does with other audiences.

As someone who doesn't care for those other properties I can say with no bias that they occupy the same space in terms of quality. They are visual spectacles that appeal to "that audience" in whatever way you define that.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how Avatar is this popular

People just love that world. There are literally people coming off the Avatar Flight of Passage ride in Animal Kingdom with tears in their eyes.

I saw Avatar as my first 3D movie and it was an amazing technical marvel with the 3D.
That's it. That's the only positive thing I can say about it.

I would say that, even if you don't like the story, there's definitely more to Avatar than just great visuals. Saldana's performance for example is tremendous and so is the direction, with action scenes that are shot with a clarity that is rare in blockbuster cinema. Excellent soundtrack too. And Stepehen Lang makes for a cool villain.

I was checking the Wiki and forgot this movie was actually nominated for Best Picture and Best Director at the Academy Awards. Not bad for sci-fi blockbuster that "only has pretty visuals".

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People just love that world. There are literally people coming off the Avatar Flight of Passage ride in Animal Kingdom with tears in their eyes.

I would say that, even if you don't like the story, there's definitely more to Avatar than just great visuals. Saldana's performance for example is tremendous and so is the direction, with action scenes that are shot with a clarity that is rare in blockbuster cinema. Excellent soundtrack too. And Stepehen Lang makes for a cool villain.

I was checking the Wiki and forgot this movie was actually nominated for Best Picture and Best Director at the Academy Awards. Not bad for sci-fi blockbuster that "only has pretty visuals".
Saldana being tied to Worthington is such a tragedy.

Unless he starts screaming about numbers and pretending to be Gary Oldman he's just so...bland.

Oct 25, 2017
Saldana being tied to Worthington is such a tragedy.

Unless he starts screaming about numbers and pretending to be Gary Oldman he's just so...bland.

Yeah, he must be happy with these Avatar sequels because as far as I know he hasn't had much of a career besides that. Happy that Winslet and Yeoh are in this though. They're great.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Not saying this wont make a fuckton of money, because duh, but I think I've been spoiled by those Marvel trailer numbers - I'm not sure this breaks the top 10 day 1 numbers?

That No Way Home number is legit insane.