• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
silent-hills2.jpg

I don't think I've ever said this before, but Silent Hill is a gaming series that I spend every day hoping and praying that it never comes back.

My reasoning is simple: there is absolutely nothing that Konami could do that would make up for their cancelling of the undeniably perfect comeback the series was going to get: Kojima, Del Toro, Reedus and Junji "This hole was made for me!" Ito was such a ludicrously perfect team to put together that any alternatives wouldn't even come close.

It was clear from Day 0 that Kojima knew what he was doing: P.T. was and still remains the greatest horror experience I've had this console generation. Absolutely nothing else has come close in the way that short one-room demo terrified me, and it brought back so much of the aesthetics and dread that I used to feel in the first four SH games. It was a brilliant piece of promotional material and left me feeling excited for the series' return.

It now remains my biggest gaming disappointment. I find myself getting literally ANGRY at the thought of Konami choosing to make a new Silent Hill on their own. I can't think of any alternative that would be just as exciting: even if they rounded up the core members of Team Silent and gave them a blank check, it still wouldn't cut it. That's also not going to happen: the more likely scenario is they're going to once again hire an American studio and director who doesn't know shit about what makes Silent Hill great, and we'll instead get another laughable abomination like the Mailman from the last few games.

That fucking Mailman....

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'll just pretend It's dead now, and I agree will you those American studio just don't understand what makes Silent Hill great, even my people made a better SH game than they ever did, and it only took us one attempt. (the game is Detention btw)

RIP Silent Hill, you'll forever be with my heart.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought the same when Metal Gear Survive came out. I could never buy a non-Kojima Metal Gear game.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want a new Silent Hill, even though the Silent Hills cancelation still hurts a lot.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I somehow don't think Silent Hills was gonna be all that. It was probably going to abandon the lore and it would feel like "Hollywood's Silent Hill".

I'd rather have a pure Japanese take.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should know that Konami's devs have nothing to do with the executives, right?

Let them develop the games they want. Stop worshipping that one other dev and trash on thousands of Konami devs doing their work with just as much passion.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Silent hill was already one of the best horror series (and dead) before Kojima ever dreamed of touching it

Silent hills cancellation changed nothing. If for some miracle Konami took their head out of their asses and did a good game, I would play it. Screw Kojima.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I somehow don't think Silent Hills was gonna be all that. It was probably going to abandon the lore and it would feel like "Hollywood's Silent Hill".

I'd rather have a pure Japanese take.

Homecoming and Downpour are exactly what "Hollywood Silent Hill" games look like.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My reasoning is simple: there is absolutely nothing that Konami could do that would make up for their cancelling of the undeniably perfect comeback the series was going to get: Kojima, Del Toro, Reedus and Junji "This hole was made for me!" Ito was such a ludicrously perfect team to put together that any alternatives wouldn't even come close.
You know the hypothetical game was 'perfect' and then dismiss something else before you've even seen it? Sounds reasonable.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It'll be fine. I still say the western games were pretty good for what they were. Considering I never played any of the Japanese developed Silent Hills.

Developers and Publishers change. There's no reason to keep a stigma on them expecting failure. Even after slights like canceling PT. Better a series can continue and make some fans happy than fall into the void. Even if it means missing out on a great concept that could've been so much more.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kind of overeacting a bit OP. Kojima and the others he was going to work with are not the reason Silent Hill is a beloved franchise. A good Silent Hill game can still happen.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Homecoming and Downpour are exactly what "Hollywood Silent Hill" games look like.
Just like PT. It couldn't have been more cliché if it tried. Great execution, but nothing to write home about in the ideas department.

I personally don't have Silent Hill in some kind of pedestal. It's my favorite franchise, but it's at the core about a small rural America town that lurks people in and tortures them for their sins. Any take on that is good enough for me.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If a revived Team Silent were making a proper Silent Hill 5 I'd be so down.

Silent Hills is dead, and that's okay. It doesn't mean we can't get a new Silent Hill game that's good. We won't, but that doesn't mean it can't happen or that we should be averse to any potential future games by Konami.

Just like PT. It couldn't have been more cliché if it tried. Great execution, but nothing to write home about in the ideas department.

I personally don't have Silent Hill in some kind of pedestal. It's my favorite franchise, but it's at the core about a small rural America town that lurks people in and tortures them for their sins. Any take on that is good enough for me.

That's not what the whole series is about. It's what Silent Hill 2 and the Western ones are about.

Oct 25, 2017
Pull the lever OP.

Then again, I assume the hopes of Silent Hill leaving the quality of Downpour and Homecoming getting crushed probably stings... at least you can expect titles around that quality again.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It heavily depends on who is working on it and if pre-release stuff points to the team and director understanding the nuances of what makes a good Silent Hill game. At this point I don't think a 3rd party team could do the game justice and I don't expect Konami to greenlight a new game not designed for a pachinko parlor. The best you could hope for now is a proper HD Remaster that unfucks everything wrong with the last remaster released.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'll echo what others are saying, you're overreacting real fucking hard. Silent Hill 2 wasn't going to be topped by Hideo Kojima, sorry.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
He didn't lead those games. And he only worked on Origins (a rush job made in 8 months) and Homecoming (which was good imo).

That us true. Ito was just Special Thanks in 4 right? Which was weird.

And well, I can say that Origins is probably the best of the "new" ones. But personally, I dislike them all. And I really really wanted to love them. Was so hyped everytime.

But at this stage I think they need more than just Ito. Get the SH2 gang back together.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Look, Konami probably owns the rights to the P.T. Script and design documents.

If it is really that good they wanted to they'd just make that game or some take on it.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Nothing wrong with the owner of the IP wanting to make another game. That would actually be pretty good.

I find myself getting literally ANGRY at the thought of Konami choosing to make a new Silent Hill on their own. .

Is just a video game dude, chill and have fun.

Kojima, Del Toro, Reedus and Junji "This hole was made for me!" Ito was such a ludicrously perfect team to put together that any alternatives wouldn't even come close.

But silent hill already had like 2 movies lol

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You really didn't even know what Silent Hills was going to be. It would be like playing the RE7: Beginning Hour demo and thinking that's what the whole game would be like. I like Kojima, but just having his name attached to something isn't enough for me anymore. I need to see it in action.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm thinking about.
Yeah he got norma reedus I dont see why not
Did you see the Death Stranding trailers or nah? Ever played Silent Hill?
Downloaded and played PT the day it out on PSN. Love SH2

We talking about Kojima here.. We havent seen an ounce of gameplay from DS and PT was literally nothing but a playable trailer. You have no idea how and what ideas was being transferred. You can already tell there was some since he got babies in both of them being important.

tryna come for me lol

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think I've ever said this before, but Silent Hill is a gaming series that I spend every day hoping and praying that it never comes back.

i admire the way that some people can just be so certain about certain fundamentally unknowable things :) ...

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I somewhat agree with this being an overreaction, but most of you only naming Kojima and not the fact that he was working with del Toro and Ito seem to missing the point. It's not because it was Kojima that this is a great loss, it's because of three minds considered to be among the top of their three respective media (including one considered to be one of the greatest minds in horror) working together and proving they could do it with P.T.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
If the PT and that concept trailer for Silent Hills were anything to go by I think it looked nothing like the franchise I love. Before it was cancelled I was of the opinion that Konami should have just made it a new IP. Silent Hill was dead long before they canned the Kojima game.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I mean, if it's good...?
It all boils down to this. Heh. People are not angry at Konami because they cut Kojima's vision or anything, but because they just stopped delivering products people are interested in.

The day they deliver a good game in any of their "dead franchises" the whole #FuckKonami stuff will be gone in an instant.

It's nothing personnel, kid.