ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This should be a very entertaining series of videos. So the Collider Videos crew is making a series of videos with their Top 50 superhero movies. The first video is up and isn't even any of those, but the honorable mentions of the films that didn't make the cut. So without further ado...

giphy.gif

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Constantine (2005)
The Wolverine (2013)
Darkman (1990)
Super (2010)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the love for Affleck's Batman. Thought he was kind of bland, and he wasn't well characterized.

Aesthetically he's the best, but that's not really on Affleck.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Can't watch atm.
Please tell me the Punisher (2004) is not in the Honourable mentions, Coz I want it at least in the top 15 ;)
It isn't, and I hope it doesn't even make to the top 50. That film is awful, man. Hell, I have a problem even with Man of Steel being in the top 50. I think Suicide Squad could make the list if it's around 50-45 though.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
The Wolverine is a criminally underrated film. Sure you can complain about the third act (I don't think it's any worse than WW's third act and people were willing to gloss over that), but the movie is still quite good and I love the atmosphere.

Unrated cut is best, the full ninja fight is on there.

Also Shingen vs Logan is the best wolverine fight in the franchise (doesn't hurt that I have a man crush on Hiroyuki Sanada).

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Do you think the film is bad, or that it's just a bad Punisher flick?

Honestly, both. Stoked as fuck for Netflix take on The Punisher though, the trailers have been brilliant. Bernthal talking about at same time honoring soldiers that go back home AND talking about vigilantism in a negative light have me lit up. War Journal is campy but it's a better Punisher movie than 2004's.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wolverine is a criminally underrated film. Sure you can complain about the third act (I don't think it's any worse than WW's third act and people were willing to gloss over that), but the movie is still quite good and I love the atmosphere.

Also Shingen vs Logan is the best wolverine fight in the franchise (doesn't hurt that I have a man crush on Hiroyuki Sanada).

I'm down with all of this. Opinion is legit.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Are there 50 of these movies worth watching? Well probably if we start counting animated stuff. I stopped watching Collider for a while after finding Double Toasted and then I stopped watching DT after their discussion on whitewashing.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Batman
  5. Batman Returns
  6. Batman: Mask of Phantasm
  7. Batman Under the Red Hood
  8. Batman Beyond Return of the Joker
  9. Batman Subzero
  10. Batman vs Robin
  11. All-Star Superman
  12. Man of Steel
  13. Superman
  14. Superman II
  15. Blankman
  16. Meteor Man
  17. Watchmen
  18. Hancock
  19. Power Rangers The Movie
  20. Power Rangers
  21. Wonder Woman
  22. Logan
  23. Deadpool
  24. X-Men
  25. X2
  26. X3
  27. X-Men 1st Class
  28. X-Men Days of Future Past
  29. Kick-Ass
  30. Justice League Crisis on 2 Earths
  31. Justice League Doom
  32. Green Lantern Emerald Knights
  33. Iron Man
  34. Iron Man 2
  35. Iron Man 3
  36. Thor
  37. Thor 2
  38. Captain America
  39. Captain America 2
  40. Captian America 3
  41. The Incredible Hulk
  42. The Avengers
  43. The Avengers 2
  44. Ant-Man
  45. Spider-Man
  46. Spider-Man 2
  47. Spider-Man Homecoming
  48. Guardians of the Galaxy
  49. Guardians 2
  50. Big Hero 6
  51. Wonder Woman animated
  52. The Incredibles

What I think it might somehow look like even though a few of these I wouldn't put on here like Thor 2 and Iron Man 2. If they're doing just live-action then I don't see how they can come up with a top 50.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see their no.1 pick.

It better be The Dark Knight.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm I would put Logan in top 5 at least. It's my fav cbm,, before that was TDK, and TDKR, well, it's a cbm alright. Surprisingly man of Steel is high, I liked it but I would not put in the top 20 even

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why The Wolverine gets so much hate. It's a solid movie, especially the unrated cut. I know Wonder Woman will end up at least in the top 20 but tbh the only thing it has over The Wolverine is that it broke the glass ceiling on female led superhero movies. Action, story, acting, cinematography, effects, all of these things are vastly superior in The Wolverine. That's probably a rare take on the two, though like I said, I don't really understand why. *shrug*

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why The Wolverine gets so much hate. It's a solid movie, especially the unrated cut. I know Wonder Woman will end up at least in the top 20 but tbh the only thing it has over The Wolverine is that it broke the glass ceiling on female led superhero movies. Action, story, acting, cinematography, effects, all of these things are vastly superior in The Wolverine. That's probably a rare take on the two, though like I said, I don't really understand why. *shrug*

Maybe I need to rewatch The Wolverine to better appreciate it, but based off of my recollection I don't recall it doing anything better than Wonder Woman. It was such a forgettable film.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly, both. Stoked as fuck for Netflix take on The Punisher though, the trailers have been brilliant. Bernthal talking about at same time honoring soldiers that go back home AND talking about vigilantism in a negative light have me lit up. War Journal is campy but it's a better Punisher movie than 2004's.
Fair enough. I don't particularly have any history with the character besides that movie, but I thought it was a good revenge movie with quite a few cool scenes in it. Different strokes etc.

I havnt seen daredevil (Netflix) but I have seen clips of the Punisher and I like the character a lot.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I need to rewatch The Wolverine to better appreciate it, but based off of my recollection I don't recall it doing anything better than Wonder Woman. It was such a forgettable film.
I don't expect my thoughts on this to be common :-P

If you do rewatch The Wolverine, watch the unrated cut. You get to see
ninjas go through a woodchipper! It's a real doozy

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect my thoughts on this to be common :-P

If you do rewatch The Wolverine, watch the unrated cut. You get to see
ninjas go through a woodchipper! It's a real doozy

Maybe I do need to rewatch it then. I can't even remember if watched the unrated cut or not. LOL I honestly don't remember much about the film except me feeling meh afterwards.

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
The Dark Knight trilogy is overrated but you know it's going to poll well because MCU is just filled with copy and pasted money grabs and designed for mainstream audiences.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It helps that The Wolverine came out in a year where every other summer blockbuster was loud and filled with overblown action and explosions.

The quiet moments in The Wolverine are where it truly shines (Logan also did a great job at this).

Yeah. I'm just boring like that. The MCU to me is the cinematic equivalent of a kid bashing his action figures together. I appreciate it when a filmmaker takes this kind of source material and turns it into something more. Logan is certainly one of the finest examples of that.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I rewatched Superman a couple of months ago,. I hadn't seen it in years, and it's impressive how magical the basic 3 story act origin story along with the amazing score coupled with great performances still is in today's golden age of Superhero films. I wouldn't be mad if it's ranked #1. It pretty much laid the blueprint on how to successfully adapt a superhero to film and actually respect the source material.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

It's much worse actually. I haven't watched the Uncut version so I can't speak on that but WW had a bad 15 minutes, not a bad 3rd act. Wolverine had a bad second half. But you know what, I'm going to reserve judgement and just watch the uncut version and go in with fresh eyes.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
The Amazing Spider-Man? The one where s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶e̶k̶ emo teen Peter could skate before he realized he had superpowers, then stole his web fluid from Oscorp? Nah fam.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much. People were speculating in the comments (and it's clear from the end of the video), that it's only in the top 50 (and even considered a superhero movie) because Perri likes it so much.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Dark Man? Eh...

Wonder what they're counting as a "Superhero" movie. Cause if Robocop counts it's high up there...

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Unbreakable should have been in the top ten. Its a way better Super Hero origin story than most of those on the list.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah already fuck this list. I think it's just be most recent and popular movies. Heck, I'd have to think long and hard about which marvel movies would break into my top 10. They'd have to be ones that are able to stand on their own outside context of universe but still be strong in it.

Winter Solider, and Gurdians vol.2 would easily be up there. Probabaly first Iron Man, but honestly they seems more top twenty tier. Thor and Spidey are too recent for me to say, and those are pretty reilant on responding to their characters' place in the universe and I don't know how standalone they are.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unbreakable should have been in the top ten. Its a way better Super Hero origin story than most of those on the list.

I agree, hope this is in top twenty at least. It's a superhero film about the mythology of Superheroes, and also the idea of fate itself. Super brilliant, and even now has it's own mini-movieverse that I'm hoping won't be terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Power Rangers got high up there as someone on Collider's staff is a big fan, especially since Collider loved spreading fake news about the movie before actual news about it came out.