Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Dynamic resolution on top of temporal reconstruction is actually pretty common, and an excellent way to do things. For example, both UE4's Temporal Resolution (used in Gears 5), and Unreal 5's TSR (Used in the Matrix Awakens demo), have both temporal image reconstruction and dynamic resolution. It's basically how Gears 5 was able to run at a temporally reconstructed 4K, even though its internal res likely constantly scaled between 1440p-4k. I believe the Matrix awakens dynamically scaled between 1080p-1620p or something close to that on PS5/Series X.

In my understand, it's clearly a superior way to do things on console. For example, when a dev targets a fixed resolution, they tend to leave performance on the table in order to achieve a consistent framerate. As much as a dev tries, they very likely aren't going to be able to pack every inch of the game world with the same demanding amount of detail. So with a dynamic temporal solution, less demanding areas could theoretically run at full native 4K , while very demanding scenes (like intense battle and set pieces), might dip between quality mode and performance mode resolutions. The brilliance of which, is that the temporal reconstruction would keep all scenarios upscaling to 4K, and hopefully mitigate as much differentiation as possible.
It was my understanding that doing both simultaneously is costly. As resources are spent to achieve either method. I know that both can be done together, there isn't a technical reason they can't. I was just of the impression that its usually one or the other. Or primarily one and the otherused as a fail-safe if both are used in an engine.

Thanks for the correction though.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping this leads to even better RT implementation with performance and resolution intact!

This is exactly what I hoped for!

The new consoles already are amazing as is, this will benefit them even more. I really don't see the need for midgen upgrades now (I barely did before).

I'm not the biggest fan of the console but this will also do wonders for the XSS' general resolution and RT implementation, I imagine.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is FSR an all games type of thing or just certain games like dlss

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm hoping this leads to even better RT implementation with performance and resolution intact!

This is exactly what I hoped for!

The new consoles already are amazing as is, this will benefit them even more. I really don't see the need for midgen upgrades now (I barely did before).

I'm not the biggest fan of the console but this will also do wonders for the XSS' general resolution and RT implementation, I imagine.
This is us getting ahead of ourselves and not taking things into context.

As is, the new consoles are also adopting various rez gimmicks. Be that DRS or upsampling. This is just one more upsampling method to add to a long list of currently employed methods. This is not doing anything that is not already being done in some shape or form. At the end of the day, this is still just reconstruction.

Here are the facts. Running at native 1440p and outputting at that resolution, has a render cost less than running internally at 1440p and upsampling to 4k using any upsampling method. You add the cost of upsampling on top of whatever native rez render cost is being used. Where this tech can shine, or tech like these is if allowing you to render internally at say 1080p or 1252p and then this samples it up to 4k convincingly. But at a render cost that is say on par with you just running natively at 1440p. So your render cost s equivalent t 1440p, but your IQ is equivalent to say 1800p or 2000p.

But none of this means anything until we can see just what it costs. If it costs too much, then devs would opt for cheaper methods. That is what we should be looking at.

Nov 8, 2017
The high level description AMD gave of FSR 2 is indistinguishable from the description of various temporal up-sampling techniques going back several years now. Whether it's useful or not will basically depend on whether it's better in practice conceptually similar solutions available on other engines. For UE5, it's got an uphill battle against TSR, which has very good quality compared to last gen solutions.

The more useful case might be games running on various custom engines (a shrinking pool, to be sure) but which either do not have temporal up-sampling, or have underwhelming versions thereof. For UE5 games, of which there will be zillions in the coming years (plus UE4 games with TSR back ported like Ghostwire), it doesn't seem like it'll be useful unless the quality is of particular note.

Is FSR an all games type of thing or just certain games like dlss

FSR 1, the older version, can be hacked in to any game in theory (but then also applies upscaling to the HUD which is slightly suboptimal). Steam Deck has that option for example.

FSR 2, the new one, will not be able to do the same, because it requires information that is only available from within the game engine and which not every game may produce at all. So it will require support from the developers on a per-game basis.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine The Coalition are going to do wonderful things for Xbox platform for all studios with this.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017

As is, the new consoles are also adopting various rez gimmicks. Be that DRS or upsampling. This is just one more upsampling method to add to a long list of currently employed methods. This is not doing anything that is not already being done in some shape or form. At the end of the day, this is still just reconstruction.

Here are the facts. Running at native 1440p and outputting at that resolution, has a render cost less than running internally at 1440p and upsampling to 4k using any upsampling method. You add the cost of upsampling on top of whatever native rez render cost is being used. Where this tech can shine, or tech like these is if allowing you to render internally at say 1080p or 1252p and then this samples it up to 4k convincingly. But at a render cost that is say on par with you just running natively at 1440p. So your render cost s equivalent t 1440p, but your IQ is equivalent to say 1800p or 2000p.

But none of this means anything until we can see just what it costs. If it costs too much, then devs would opt for cheaper methods. That is what we should be looking at.
Which DLSS does.

This seems to be getting us similar results. So no, I'm not getting ahead of myself - Again, if it's as good as we're all hoping that it is.

I don't know why you felt the need to mention that other devs already use reconstruction techniques... Because... I never suggested they didn't?

This just seems to finally rival what Nvidia is doing with DLSS. Let's hope it does!

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
2.0 seems better than 1.0 from what I've quickly researched which is nice to see. Really hope tech like this makes it's way to consoles quickly. If the tools built into the SDK I don't see why it would be hard to implement. Especially in performance modes where it might be a 1440p image. DLSS is pretty damn magical, hopefully that switch rumor is true with that.

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
Probably for the same reason PS5 doesn't have VRR yet even after almost 18 months of Xbox having it. Sony just seem to be way behind in the features department compared to MS atm
Sure.

Thats why first game with FSR 1.0 which was also marketed with xbox, not PlayStation came first on PS5.

VRR is overdue, but cut those bs…

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We're just going off of what AMD is claiming right now, which is that it achieves similar results & performance impact as DLSS 2.0+. If that's the case, this is going to be a really big leap forward on consoles.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FSR 1.0 was also marketed only with Xbox in mind.

First game with FSR 1.0 was on PS5 ;)

Sure.

Thats why first game with FSR 1.0 which was also marketed with xbox, not PlayStation came first on PS5.

VRR is overdue, but cut those bs…
My god dude, give it up lol. You don't need to reiterate the same thing 3 times in 3 separate posts in the same thread over the span of 2 minutes. We get it.

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
We're just going off of what AMD is claiming right now, which is that it achieves similar results & performance impact as DLSS 2.0+. If that's the case, this is going to be a really big leap forward on consoles.
Some engines (like insomniacs one) have already temporal upscaling solution. FSR is for those who have not their own propietary tech

Nov 8, 2017
Are there temporal reconstruction techniques that DONT also provide AA (at least as an option)?

I thought it was inherent to the technique...

I would assume adding even more AA on-top of a temporal solution would be common sense if devs found their games still suffered from shimmering, but outside of TSR, I don't know of any that do.

TAA and temporal reconstruction are not very different. In fact at the back end they're usually the same thing, the difference being whether the input resolution is the same as the output resolution or not. Specific algorithms will differ, but specific TAA algrithms and specific TAAu algorithms also differ from each other quite a lot in the finer details, so please understand I'm speaking on a fairly high level here.

1440p -> 4k temporal reconstruction vs 4k native TAA differs on how many samples they take per frame, but in both cases they accumulate samples across several frames to produce very high resolution images, which are then down-sampled to the final display. They might accumulate samples across 4, 8 or 16 frames, which implies an extremely large sample count, internally creating an image that may be somewhere in the region of 4x or 8x supersampled, which is then down-scaled to the target output 4k display. The anti-aliasing effect of TAA is produced by this intermediate step where you create this very high resolution image. But even if you started at only 1440p equivalent samples per frame, the intermediate image before output to the screen is still much higher res than it would have been rendering at native res without any form of AA - so it's still an "Anti aliased image".

Note here, that early work on TAA referred to the technique as "temporally-ammortized supersampling". I hope based on the above description that makes sense why they would have called it that, and how temporal upsampling / reconstruction is, conceptually, just a slight variation on TAA itself.

Now, regarding AA, yes they might also other techniques on top of this temporal stuff at some stage of the pipeline. It's not uncommon to use cheap post-process AA like FXAA at some stage of the image, to further mitigate some kinds of aliasing beyond that which the TAA suppresses, and (critically) to provide "good enough" anti aliasing coverage such that things which disrupt the TAA don't result in a momentarily completely raw image. Examples of things like that would be camera cuts - the algorithm needs to throw out the accumulated data when a camera cut occurs because the data of the old image has no bearing on the new one and if they kept it, the image would become smoother but dreadfully smeared / ghosted with the old image. Thus, in rejecting the data to prevent that, you wind up with 1 frame with no AA at all otherwise, which then gradually builds up as each new frame is generated. The FXAA isn't as good as TAA, but when it only needs to cover 2-3 frames before the TAA can start looking good again, that's usually not perceptually noticeable for users. A specific concrete example of games that do this is Resident Evil 2 / 3 Remake, but there are many more than that. The CoD games have been using a technique they refer to as "Flimic SMAA" which blends the SMAA algorithm with temporal accumulation to achieve their total solution. Sometimes in a menu you'll see a CryEngine game have options like "SMAA T2X" or whatever which is also similar.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Which DLSS does.

This seems to be getting us similar results. So no, I'm not getting ahead of myself - Again, if it's as good as we're all hoping that it is.

I don't know why you felt the need to mention that other devs already use reconstruction techniques... Because... I never suggested they didn't?

This just seems to finally rival what Nvidia is doing with DLSS. Let's hope it does!

I am not knocking the tech, or what it may or may not mean. I am just slightly skeptical and simply waiting for more information before we start hoping this up to be the next best thing for gaming. Again, we should see what it actually costs to implement, and what kinda results those costs give us.

For reference, DLSS on a 2070s (closest approximation to both a PS5/XSX) has a render cost of ~2.1ms for a 4K output. And that s with dedicated ML hardware.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not knocking the tech, or what it may or may not mean. I am just slightly skeptical and simply waiting for more information before we start hoping this up to be the next best thing for gaming. Again, we should see what it actually costs to implement, and what kinda results those costs give us.

For reference, DLSS on a 2070s (closest approximation to both a PS5/XSX) has a render cost of ~2.1ms for a 4K output. And that s with dedicated ML hardware.
From The Verge article, this is what AMD claims:

The Verge said:
While the FSR 2.0 algorithm is remarkably fast — under 1.5ms in all of AMD's examples — it still takes time to run, and it takes more time on lower-end GPUs where AMD freely admits that some of its optimizations don't work quite as well.

Quality Mode:

fsr2-performance-qualitymode.png

Performance mode:

fsr2-performance-performancemode.png

Last edited:

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017

Note that even dlss isn't able to really match the native iq at a 4x (1080p -> 4k) upscale, so hopefully people are keeping their expectations in check

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news, this will help out quite a bit with games that do ray tracing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I really love the way DLSS takes care of all the shimmering artifacts and pixel crawling, to the point I sometimes prefer DLSS to native.
I'd happily sacrifice some sharpness if that means cleaning up the noise, not to mention the huge performance gains.
If this is as good as they claim it can't come soon enough to consoles.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
AMAZING news! I hope it comes to every damn platform I use to help me get that 4K cirspness at 60 FPS in every game.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Deathloop will likely be the first 3 way comparison between pre FSR 2.0, post FSR 2.0 (IQ or Performance uplifts if any) on Xbox and maybe PS5, and an additional DLSS comparison on PC. That won't be until September though

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deathloop will likely be the first 3 way comparison between pre FSR 2.0, post FSR 2.0 (IQ or Performance uplifts if any) on Xbox and maybe PS5, and an additional DLSS comparison on PC. That won't be until September though
Going to be interesting to see if Deathloop includes FSR 2.0 when it launches on Xbox later this year.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
TAA and temporal reconstruction are not very different. In fact at the back end they're usually the same thing, the difference being whether the input resolution is the same as the output resolution or not. Specific algorithms will differ, but specific TAA algrithms and specific TAAu algorithms also differ from each other quite a lot in the finer details, so please understand I'm speaking on a fairly high level here.

1440p -> 4k temporal reconstruction vs 4k native TAA differs on how many samples they take per frame, but in both cases they accumulate samples across several frames to produce very high resolution images, which are then down-sampled to the final display. They might accumulate samples across 4, 8 or 16 frames, which implies an extremely large sample count, internally creating an image that may be somewhere in the region of 4x or 8x supersampled, which is then down-scaled to the target output 4k display. The anti-aliasing effect of TAA is produced by this intermediate step where you create this very high resolution image. But even if you started at only 1440p equivalent samples per frame, the intermediate image before output to the screen is still much higher res than it would have been rendering at native res without any form of AA - so it's still an "Anti aliased image".

Note here, that early work on TAA referred to the technique as "temporally-ammortized supersampling". I hope based on the above description that makes sense why they would have called it that, and how temporal upsampling / reconstruction is, conceptually, just a slight variation on TAA itself.

Now, regarding AA, yes they might also other techniques on top of this temporal stuff at some stage of the pipeline. It's not uncommon to use cheap post-process AA like FXAA at some stage of the image, to further mitigate some kinds of aliasing beyond that which the TAA suppresses, and (critically) to provide "good enough" anti aliasing coverage such that things which disrupt the TAA don't result in a momentarily completely raw image. Examples of things like that would be camera cuts - the algorithm needs to throw out the accumulated data when a camera cut occurs because the data of the old image has no bearing on the new one and if they kept it, the image would become smoother but dreadfully smeared / ghosted with the old image. Thus, in rejecting the data to prevent that, you wind up with 1 frame with no AA at all otherwise, which then gradually builds up as each new frame is generated. The FXAA isn't as good as TAA, but when it only needs to cover 2-3 frames before the TAA can start looking good again, that's usually not perceptually noticeable for users. A specific concrete example of games that do this is Resident Evil 2 / 3 Remake, but there are many more than that. The CoD games have been using a technique they refer to as "Flimic SMAA" which blends the SMAA algorithm with temporal accumulation to achieve their total solution. Sometimes in a menu you'll see a CryEngine game have options like "SMAA T2X" or whatever which is also similar.

That was an amazing explanation, thanks for putting in the time!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
AMD GPUOpen said:
The FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 analytical approach can provide advantages compared to ML solutions, such as more control to cater to a range of different scenarios, and a better ability to optimize.

This specific quote makes me wonder if AMD is implying that there can be some hand optimization by the developer on a game by game basis to help cover any image quality gap that ML might have?

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This specific quote makes me wonder if AMD is implying that there can be some hand optimization by the developer on a game by game basis to help cover any image quality gap that ML might have?
Kind of sounds like it. Maybe able to manually tweak the Algorithm on a scene-by-scene basis if needed?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Because Sony is slow to adopt new shit. Take VRR for example.
This has nothing to do with Sony, it's an open standard that anyone can use. And regardless, Sony is not used to quickly publically announce what's in or is not in their console SDK.

Situation is same as with FSR 1.0. If devs want it, they can add it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
A mid gen refresh will be needed for further improvements like actual hardware based FSR. Maybe Microsoft and Sony are already working on that because leaving this to software only would be limiting in a few years.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This has nothing to do with Sony, it's an open standard that anyone can use. And regardless, Sony is not used to quickly publically announce what's in or is not in their console SDK.

Situation is same as with FSR 1.0. If devs want it, they can add it.
Exactly.

No one knew the PS5 could use FSR 1.0....until it was spotted in a game running on PS5, and devs mentioned it in articles.

Some things Sony dont even publicly talk about wrt the PS5. So far at least.