bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
So third party stores are a go on iOS now? What does that even look like? Is the new store just its own app that you enter and download apps from? lol

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
This was the only thing I would've used alternate stores for. I guess somebody realized there's a whole sizable chunk of people who did jailbreaks just for emulators lol

So, uh, what systems can an iPhone 14 emulate?

Everything up to PS3, I would assume. Given the specs. Switch would work as well, depending on the state of iOS emulators for that platform, I haven't tried it.

Once you get to PS3/360 it's really more about the state of the emulators themselves rather than what the device can handle. Any flagship phone is a fairly powerful computer these days. They're mostly being underutilized.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Reading through, this sounds more like a company can now basically use an "emulator" without having to do a full port that offers their catalog of games.

Not something similar to Android. Just due to the wordage about the content it can provide.

Doesn't seem to detail a way how someone would put their own backups on it
You can download any file type on iOS and put it in the Apple Files app. For example, I download .SRT files on Safari (which Apple doesn't officially support) and then I have a media player app which I downloaded and I can import SRT files via the Files app into the movie which will overlay subtitles on it.

A person could theoretically dump their ROMs to something like Google Drive on their PC and then use your iOS device to add it to their Files app, kind of hacky but it could work.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
A person could theoretically dump their ROMs to something like Google Drive on their PC and then using the Google Drive app, add it to their Files app, kind of hacky but it could work.
…or you just download the ROM directly into the Files app on you iPhone and open it the emulator.

(this is how I do it with the Delta emulator on Vision Pro currently. Works great)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is entrapment.

Can feel the nintendo snipers red laser dot on your forehead.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:

1. How is retro being defined?

2. Banning apps that provide pirated titles… I don't think anyone is going to dump their own Gameboy games, so how exactly is this going to work?

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
Riley Testut acknowledged the App Store change but isn't answering questions now about whether he is going to submit GBA4iOS to apple. I have the current source building in XCode so I'll clean up some awkward messaging and attempt to submit to the App Store. Should be a fun conversation with App Review staff.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I could see people making very simple NES/SNES/MD/GB etc homebrew games and packaging that as a "collection" but lo and behold, you can load your own ROMs via the files app…

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
What is the difference in power of the different apple tv models? Older are quite cheap.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Hey I'm already happy with my old Android being able to emulate Saturn games so I am looking forward to those on the iOS system to get there fix on whatever they want.

Just being cautious as how you are able to download or manage ROMs and ISOs will be an issue...

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
As Ars notes, the terms clearly mean that Sega can now do a retro game collection that downloads Megadrive titles from a server. It doesn't allow emulators to run code from local files. This is basically no change at all.

Indeed, the change to rules for WeChat type apps makes it clear this is supposed to punish games being run in bigger programmes to push iAP gambling simulators, not suddenly enable permissionless innovation.

The App Store's entire purpose is to rent seek, not serve customers, and the only thing that will change that is app signing keys on iOS hardware being taken away from Apple.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome news. They probably are only doing this to get ahead of other app stores on ios, but better late than never I suppose.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Lol my backlog of new games is in danger. I'll just replay old shit on my phone now 🫣

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions:

1. How is retro being defined?

2. Banning apps that provide pirated titles… I don't think anyone is going to dump their own Gameboy games, so how exactly is this going to work?

I assume the same way these apps work on other platforms. The apps aren't providing the roms, so it's the user not the app that would have action taken against and not by Apple but by the rights holder. That's just an assumption based on emulators existing on other platforms like android and afaik none come with roms built in, though I could be wrong because I don't use my phone for gaming so have no idea.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
Kinda looks like regulation works, obviously there is no real evidence that they did this cause of the DMA but I will take that bet that they did.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeahhhhh, no. There's no way Apple is going to let actual emulators on the App Store. There's a catch somewhere.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
So how do emulators work, you download roms and it just runs or they supply the roms? How would you even get a rom onto a iPhone.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Oh wow it looks like governments putting pressure on walled gardens is good for the consumer! I was told it's actually bad for the consumer 🤔

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So how do emulators work, you download roms and it just runs or they supply the roms? How would you even get a rom onto a iPhone.

The same way other files are moved onto an iPhone? when I download a video I filmed of my wife and I at a concert I can save it to files and then tell an app (VLC) to access that file on my iPad. I imagine it's no different

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
The same way other files are moved onto an iPhone? when I download a video I filmed of my wife and I at a concert I can save it to files and then tell an app (VLC) to access that file on my iPad. I imagine it's no different
Oh I have no idea I don't move other files onto my iPhone. If I like a picture I save it to my phone that's it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
As Ars notes, the terms clearly mean that Sega can now do a retro game collection that downloads Megadrive titles from a server. It doesn't allow emulators to run code from local files. This is basically no change at all.
That's not a change though, Apple always allowed vendor emulators like this. PicoPico being a good example.

apps.apple.com

‎PicoPico - 8bit Retro Games

‎Enjoy 8bit retro games! [About provide games] We provide the games on this app under licensed from the official licensers. [Features] - support MFi / PS4 / XBOX-ONE GamePads - PIN/UNDO (quick save/load) - 3 save slots & 10 movie slots per game - recordable your gameplay movie to the movie...

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I have no idea I don't move other files onto my iPhone. If I like a picture I save it to my phone that's it.

You can save files from the web to your files folder or transfer files via a pc and then tell apps to open that file. I imagine that's how it's done because Apple aren't going to let folks download emulators with roms included for obvious reasons.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody put fucking retroarch on the Apple TV before they change their mind.

SnoopyK

Jan 27, 2018
I mean just about every other device was doing it so good they finally offering something that's done almost everywhere.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
That's not a change though, Apple always allowed vendor emulators like this. PicoPico being a good example.

apps.apple.com

‎PicoPico - 8bit Retro Games

‎Enjoy 8bit retro games! [About provide games] We provide the games on this app under licensed from the official licensers. [Features] - support MFi / PS4 / XBOX-ONE GamePads - PIN/UNDO (quick save/load) - 3 save slots & 10 movie slots per game - recordable your gameplay movie to the movie...

PicoPico includes all the games in the binary I believe. It doesn't download anything from a server.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
If this means I can ditch AltStore and load RetroArch directly then that would be a godsend. iPhone is a fantastic powerful emulation machine when paired with a backbone controller.