• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a bummer that AltStore PAL won't run on an iPad because it means you can't even force run the iPhone app, while AppStore users probably can.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Installed Delta on my Mac for the hell of it. Thought maybe if it ever gets removed, I'd have it if I decide to ever get an iPhone/iPad again.

Also can't EU users just create a US Apple account? I did that with Japan before. I remember one of the issues was you had to do it through iTunes or something in order to not have to put a payment method in. I just put some random address, I think. It's been 10+ years so I'm not sure if that still works though.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
As a matter of fact, yes. If the creators want to use their own app marketplace they have to forego the App Store completely in the EU. It's either one or the other.

200w.gif

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Re: Virtual Boy - you can sideload an emulator on the Quest. Not what's being asked but a larger amount of people have access.

There's also a really cool emulator for 3DS too - the 3D effect works so well for Virtual Boy.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Kind of a bummer that AltStore PAL won't run on an iPad because it means you can't even force run the iPhone app, while AppStore users probably can.
I feel like it's so petty of Apple to treat iPadOS and iOS as 2 completely separate "platforms".

Weird they were somehow able to convince the EU they weren't the same and shouldn't be treated the same.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Re: Virtual Boy - you can sideload an emulator on the Quest. Not what's being asked but a larger amount of people have access.

There's also a really cool emulator for 3DS too - the 3D effect works so well for Virtual Boy.

Crazy Nintendo never officially did that on 3DS.

Maybe the Switch 2 will have a 3D screen again and then they'll do it 😅

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's cool playing some older games from my GB catalogue on the iPhone, but the lack of buttons is killer. We need a USB-C controller addon!

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
playbackbone.com

Backbone One USB-C Game Controller | Backbone

Game from anywhere with the Backbone One controller for USB-C. Crossplay from your Xbox, stream with Steam Link, and level up in your favorite mobile game.

Works flawlessly on my backbone. Settings recognize it as a backbone controller. Can use dpad or left analog stick.

Isn't the Kishi and Backbone supported on USB-C iPhones?

Yep. Newest version of backbone with different size adjustments lets me finally not have to take my case off to use it.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This feels surreal to play emulator on a iPhone without the hassle of jailbreak.

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
I'm lying in bed and just booted up my copy of Pokemon Emerald, I feel like I'm a kid again staying up far too late with my Game Boy Advance 😆

What a time to be alive, I hope I can dig out my old red rescue team cartridge tomorrow

Oct 29, 2017
This feels surreal to play emulator on a iPhone without the hassle of jailbreak.
I made a long shot bet two years ago getting an M2 12.9" iPad Pro with the idea that policy change would allow me to run ScummVM and retro games on it's gorgeous basically-but-technically-a-few-pixels-short-of 4K 4:3 display.

ScummVM hit a few months ago, and now emulators.

The bet paid off!

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's so petty of Apple to treat iPadOS and iOS as 2 completely separate "platforms".

Weird they were somehow able to convince the EU they weren't the same and shouldn't be treated the same.
Yeah, I hadn't realized the mandate didn't cover iPadOS, which makes making AltStore and AppStore availability mutually exclusive nonsensical.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, I'm on iPhone anyways(albeit a slightly older one). Now just the pain of getting the files to it
It's easier than it used to be!

From your computer (PC OR Mac) you can put your files on the iCloud Drive (available once you install the icloud app), then transfer through the files app (or just point Delta at the files in iCloud Drive, that's what I did)

The Files app also allows transfer of files from cloud storage providers (Google Drive etc)

If you have a USB adapter or a USB-C iPhone (the 15) you can plug in a thumb drive and transfer files that way (I got a double headed thumb drive, one side A one side C which makes this incredibly easy)

The Files App has a built in FTP client so you can transfer over WiFi

Or do it the bad old way and use iTunes/File Explorer/Apple Devices For Windows 10/11 and transfer through there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's easier than it used to be!

From your computer (PC OR Mac) you can put your files on the iCloud Drive (available once you install the icloud app), then transfer through the files app (or just point Delta at the files in iCloud Drive, that's what I did)

The Files app also allows transfer of files from cloud storage providers (Google Drive etc)

If you have a USB adapter or a USB-C iPhone (the 15) you can plug in a thumb drive and transfer files that way (I got a double headed thumb drive, one side A one side C which makes this incredibly easy)

The Files App has a built in FTP client so you can transfer over WiFi

Or do it the bad old way and use iTunes/File Explorer/Apple Devices For Windows 10/11 and transfer through there.
I think ftp will be easiest. My iCloud is full and I don't have any of the other drives. I think I still even have a ftp app on my laptop from the Xbox series mod days

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So Delta is the current solid one out? As someone who hasn't been tracking closely
Delta is great, yes. However, Ignited is currently in the review process to be approved for the app store. Ignited is a fork of Delta, however it has iPad support, more emulation, much more features, and is more actively in development and the dev is very responsive in the community. Honestly, once Ignited releases, I am bouncing off of Delta.

Ignited is also going to be on the EU app store, as well (not locked to an alternative app store).

This is per the lead dev on the Ignited Discord.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Delta is great, yes. However, Ignited is currently in the review process to be approved for the app store. Ignited is a fork of Delta, however it has iPad support, more emulation, much more features, and is more actively in development and the dev is very responsive in the community. Honestly, once Ignited releases, I am bouncing off of Delta.

Ignited is also going to be on the EU app store, as well (not locked to an alternative app store).

This is per the lead dev on the Ignited Discord.
Huh. Well maybe I'll wait before messing around then. Got plenty of console stuff to work on this week and busy with work till next Monday.

Tho it'd be nice if someone made a threadmarked best way to do file transfers from PC to iPhone without a sub service before then XD

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Ignited (a fork of Delta), which provides much more functionality, emulation, and features, is currently in review for the app store. Once that's out, I will use Ignited over Delta.

Could just get tossed for "copycat" reasons.

Its a very strange standard to apply to Open Source projects. As long as the license is respected and the name is different it really should not apply. But we've already seen how that goes.

tajd

Mar 15, 2024
Once Apple TV has has all these apps I'll be interested and gaming will be done ha ha

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Could just get tossed for "copycat" reasons.

Its a very strange standard to apply to Open Source projects. As long as the license is respected and the name is different it really should not apply. But we've already seen how that goes.
Per the lead Ignited dev:

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-3-20-49-PM.png

Hopefully it won't be declined.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Just been giving delta a go and it works great. I've paired my pro controller but on the ds core it doesn't seem to notice a full stick push just goes about half speed in mario 64 DS, anyone know a fix?

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Just been giving delta a go and it works great. I've paired my pro controller but on the ds core it doesn't seem to notice a full stick push just goes about half speed in mario 64 DS, anyone know a fix?

I'm guessing the stick just maps to the DS' Dpad? If that's the case, then yeah, gotta hold the run button. Using the Dpad alone just makes ya walk in SM64DS

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone sees a deal for the ANDROID backbone controller - it does actually work fine with iPhone 15. I did update the firmware by plugging it into my Walkman tho.

Re: file transfer on AppleTV, plenty of solutions for that. In fact, Providence, a multi system emulator on the AltStore, uses a server solution whereby you go to browser on computer at like 192.168.0.50 or whatever and can drag files in. Could do something like that for Apple TV.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, Delta happily automatically uses the iPhone gyro so I can finally play things like Wario Ware Twisted!

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Saw this all right before going in to watch a film and still immediately found the time to download it and get DS emu set up. Still kinda surreal that we have emulation on iOS after all this time and DS seems to work flawlessly so far.

Seriously considering a backbone but £100 for just a mobile controller is pretty costly for me. We'll see though, might be too good to pass up.