Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This is especially funny because Matt Booty's linkedin writeup about his Midway job is basically just him bragging about how much money he saved by firing people, eliminating teams and reducing headcount.
Oh wow that's actually his bio. Maybe it's just Booty's style…

IMG-2702.jpg

Ant_17

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Greece
I see a lot of shots at Matt Booty over today's internal meeting. I get it. But knowing him as a human, I know this hurts him as much as anyone else. I can't speak for all of the leadership there, but I do know him and I do know what he is likely going through.

I'm not trying to defend the decisions. I think we all get ourselves into situations that are tough and unexpected (certainly I have). It's part of the job, as is the accountability for the outcomes. But he's a good human and he cares deeply for the creative process and developers. That's my first hand experience in working closely with him for 8+ years and knowing him for 24+.

I 100% understand the anger and confusion, and I feel deeply sorry for those teams impacted today and over the last few months. I didn't agree with every decision he made at Xbox, and I think that was pretty clear, but I do believe in his product leadership and I know how hard these decisions can be.

Xbox could have a very bright future. I hope they are able to realizes it and all of the teams have an incredible experience together. It's certainly a tough time that needs great clarity into what the plan ahead is and how gamers everywhere can be excited for it.
12640ab6-4e00-46db-b91a-cc1041c3020a_text.gif

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
What is happening. Like seriously I know execs are out of touch but how are they THIS out of touch

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
People are really misunderstanding this quote. What he's saying is that Microsoft is looking at all these smaller games that can give them prestige and awards as a reminder of all the killing they still have left to do
You know someone at Double Fine heard this and like slumped down in their chair so they hopefully couldn't be seen.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has always had a history of really sketchy industry moves (paid online, rrod handling, original XBone plans), but I'm legitimately shocked at how quickly and completely they just immolated *any* possible good will. Like unironic taught-in-business-classes bad bad.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I'd like to see the quote with full context because many call HiFi Rush a "small game" but it took over 4yrs to develop with a team of 20+.

What is being considered a small game here?

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that's actually his bio. Maybe it's just Booty's style…

IMG-2702.jpg
And because of the "worldwide reduction in workforce of nearly 30%" Midway couldn't finish the games they were working on (nothing after Wheelman in March 2009) so no money came in and they got shutdown as a result.

Business genius Booty.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see the quote with full context because many call HiFi Rush a "small game" but it took over 4yrs to develop with a team of 20+.

I'd say that would fit "smaller game". Most small games still take years to make, just not with a team in the hundreds to thousands so doesn't cost like 150m+.

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
The way they stealth dropped the game…Would they do that with what you would call a big title? I don't think so.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
What reaction could there even be to this? Join the chorus of "what the fucks"? Puzzled reaction image?

This is too dumb for parody. Couldn't even write this for a skit or TV show.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

That is a good question.
Clearly Hi-Fi Rush is perceived as a "small game", but it might be seen as a failed "small game" because of production time.
I would say 4 years for a new IP and a rythm based game is nothing, and clearly a sequel to this highly praised "small game" wouldn't take 4 years.

So, i don't see how it makes sense to close a studio that can go in production with a "small game" sequel to a highly praised game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Bro, Fuck Xbox

This is the final bit to kill any faith I held for the platform at the top.

Reeks of shutting down a studio and not even knowing the content they were making. Considering some of the studios he couldn't even name correctly, it wouldn't surprise me.

The "blank check" truly was the mark of the death it seems: the suits are here in full force now for their short term gains that'll just bite them in the long run.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello Xbox leadership, I am writing to apply to replace Matt Booty.

I have no qualifications and zero training, however, I possess these following qualities:

- Basic object permeance
- Functional long term memory that lasts longer than 15 minutes
- I will work for half of what Booty does

Thank you for your time, and I hope you consider me. I believe I possess strong attributes that could potentially elevate the XBOX brand.
I can vouch for Kirby64 because he knows how to write, which is a skill Matt Booty hasn't mastered yet