PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone buy it on PlayStation? A multiplatform launch would have been much better, but I doubt they were expecting the award winnung, game with "excellent word of mouth" to fizzle like it did on PlayStation. I was surprised someone tweeted it didn't do to hot. At least that's what I remember.

Year-late ports, released only on digital, with NO marketing, never sell well. It was sent to die BOTH times it came out.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
MS wants to focus on the big IPs they acquired, but there's legitimacy to the strategy of growing franchises over time. And Hi-Fi rush deserved to get a sequel, with an actual marketing campaign behind it. It would be a risk, but if you want the prestige of having games in the GOTY conversation, that's the kind of risk you need to take!

Jun 5, 2023
Year-late ports, released only on digital, with NO marketing, never sell well. It was sent to die BOTH times it came out.
Can say I disagree with that. Microsoft really put that word of mouth to the test with Hi-Fi. Game got no advertising outside of it. Guess they figured that positive reception would turn into sales with no help from them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can say I disagree with that. Microsoft really put that word of mouth to the test with Hi-Fi. Game got no advertising outside of it. Guess they figured that positive reception would turn into sales with no help from them.

I tried. I really tried. But unfortunately, stylish action games are a hard enough sell on their own, much less stylish action games with a rhythm core (rhythm games tend to scare off casual players because they're afraid they won't be able to keep up), and without an actual marketing campaign and - more importantly - a good run on the streamer/influencer circuit, there was just no way it was going to make a dent.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
I read this article an hour or two ago. My thoughts were basically that there is no chance in hell they'd close Tango if Hi-Fi Rush was as successful as some of those titles mentioned in comparison. Hades, Hades 2, Manorlord (insanely huge hit), and Balatro. Lots of games like Hi-Fi Rush are incredibly successful on steam now and the past 5-10 years.

I'm not saying they should've gotten closed down, I just don't think they would have had they hit those numbers.

I think having an expectation that a game like that will hit those heights is kind of the problem. You make games like that to help build userbases not sell 10 million copies. That game would never sell that well on any platform, but they refuse to understand their still exist overall value to a game like it existing. It helps diversify your userbase and build prestige for your brand, something most console makers know is valuable.

MS wants that instant win now to the point they just buy already successful stuff, but they almost never build it up from within. The closest thing I can recall that they really nurtured internally was Forza, you could maybe bring up Gears as well even though that started externally. This has been their issue forever though, going back to Oddworld and Psychonauts on the original Xbox or things like Crackdown, Lost Odyssey, etc on 360. They simply can not imagine building up a brand, it's start big or get out.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
8nB.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It's almost as if Microsoft has like 8 tiers of management and nobody is truly in control. 😋
"as long as they're all fighting each other, they're all motivated!"

reminds me of when the xbox one was revealed and everyone journalists talked to about 'always online' had a different answer

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for posting my own tweets but streamable is being an ass. John Johanas, the director of HFR said in an interview that HFR was the smoothest development they had and that the game didn't change from its pitch document and was never rebooted. Not only that but he said he never received feedback from Matt Booty and Phil Spencer and then ended up interviews talking highly about the game and how important it is to Xbox. They were grifting off Johanas' work when Xbox's reputation was hitting a slump when they had little part in it

So the idea that HFR was somehow not smaller-scale compared to other Xbox games is laughable. Johanas started with himself and one programmer for a full year of development, then picked available people over the years when Ghostwire Tokyo's development was wrapping up.

"made by a smaller scale team for a long time until the final sprint"

SOURCE: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/10/04/hi-fi-rush-exclusive-oral-history/

n4Voiz3.png

View: https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1788400268146577796

View: https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1788400863851040972

SOURCE:

View: https://youtu.be/LKuPjmrDF4E

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sorry for posting my own tweets but streamable is being an ass. John Johanas, the director of HFR said in an interview that HFR was the smoothest development they had and that the game didn't change from its pitch document and was never rebooted. Not only that but he said he never received feedback from Matt Booty and Phil Spencer and then ended up interviews talking highly about the game and how important it is to Xbox. They were grifting off Johanas' work when Xbox's reputation was hitting a slump when they had little part in it

So the idea that HFR was somehow not smaller-scale compared to other Xbox games is laughable. Johanas started with himself and one programmer for a full year of development, then picked available people over the years when Ghostwire Tokyo's development was wrapping up.

"made by a smaller scale team for a long time until the final sprint"

SOURCE: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/10/04/hi-fi-rush-exclusive-oral-history/

n4Voiz3.png

View: https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1788400268146577796

View: https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1788400863851040972

SOURCE:

View: https://youtu.be/LKuPjmrDF4E

Johanas is a gem, where ever he and his team lands next will be blessed

Nov 8, 2017
I read this article an hour or two ago. My thoughts were basically that there is no chance in hell they'd close Tango if Hi-Fi Rush was as successful as some of those titles mentioned in comparison. Hades, Hades 2, Manorlord (insanely huge hit), and Balatro. Lots of games like Hi-Fi Rush are incredibly successful on steam now and the past 5-10 years.

I'm not saying they should've gotten closed down, I just don't think they would have had they hit those numbers.

I've made this point a few times but Tango was a lot more than just HFR. Ghostwire did proportionally much worse than HFR - it had a higher price and some Sony money but didn't sell very many copies and had like 4x the staffing.

But the reporting from Bloomberg indicates that the economics of the studio was probably not the number one reason for the closure falling here. As you say, a major breakout hit might have saved them, but otherwise, the decision may have come down to just that they were very early in dev, versus other studios that are still anticipating a release this year or next. From a strictly economic perspective, if you were culling the bottom earners, you'd probably close MachineGames before Tango, but the difference is MG hasn't shipped yet and Tango has, with nothing in sight.

This kind of logic being applied does underly a desparation in the studio, though. The only other recent publisher I can think of that was operating this way was Embracer, so the kind of economic constraints Xbox is now operating under must be quite dire if they're slaughtering their milk cows for food.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Oh god, just imagine if they put somebody else on a Hi-Fi Rush sequel in the future.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft:

giphy.gif

It's incredible that Peter fucking Moore is still the best executive xbox had in all its lifespan.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Microsoft is doing an incredible job of showing people that they actually don't know WTF they're doing.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Didn't he said yesterday the complete opposite or am I trippin

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022

if they expect to get the numbers of what are basically anomalies in the industry then thats part of the problem.

AA games could become cult classics, sure, but the idea behind them is that they're cheap to produce and can recover from a modest marketing campaign

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but can the studio make enough money to pay its staff(and profit)? That's the issue. They are not so stupid that they don't realize Hi-Fi Rush was a critical darling. Mu question is can you produce a linear game like that with high production values at a budget that makes sense for what it will earn? Either way I wish they would have given the director another shot to make a critical and commercial banger.
Brother Tango Gameworks is located in Japan and they get run in yens. If it werent for gamepass im sure Hi-Fi Rush wouldve made money.

And tbh, even if it didnt, the prestige such a game bring to your brand makes the relatively low cost worth it.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone buy it on PlayStation? A multiplatform launch would have been much better, but I doubt they were expecting the award winning, game with "excellent word of mouth" to fizzle like it did on PlayStation. I was surprised someone tweeted it didn't do to hot. At least that's what I remember.
I did, and I absolutely loved it :(

But I get what you mean, though I think this was more on MS not doing a great job marketing the game as opposed to the game not having the potential to sell better.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplatform, actual marketing cycle. Hi-Fi has incredible word of mouth and had they actually attempted to build on this IP it would've done well, unless they're expecting sales levels of a Starfield type game.

Idk, I read the whole situation as: Starfield way past missed expectations (and probably wouldn't have mattered much if it wasn't on Game Pass anyway) but rather than threathen or chop off that studio we'll burn everything else and say that things are fine

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
can someone give me a bullet-point list of all the Microsoft-related shit that has transpired over the last 7-10 days or so? It feels like so much has happened and it's getting blurry lol.