Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
If you all aren't using game sharing on Game Pass currently, you should figure it out soon.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I would say American games media is also responsible. The explicit cheerleading for consolidation even from some left leaning places was something else to witness. They pretty much acted like PR arm of Microsoft.

that thread was wild, felt like anyone that was against the acquisition ended up getting thread banned eventually.

by the end it was just people gloating how awesome the future looked for gamepass.
Yeah. The thread on this site had people geninely arguing that the british version of the FTC should be defunded and shut down because they were against the merger. They were fine and did not even get a warning. If you tried to argue for why the merger was bad you would get thread banned for nebolous "console war" reasons even when nothing you said had anything to do with Sony or Nintendo. The mods basically decided that the merger was a factual positive and the only reason someone could be- against it was console wars.

I really hope this situation is a harsh awakening to those people and we don`t get threads begging for Microsoft to buy Sega next week.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Out of the three games I was looking forward to getting on Xbox (Hellblade II, Little Kitty Big City, and Indiana Jones), it seems like 2 of those are likely to come to PlayStation in the future. I'd kind of rather play on PlayStation and I can't keep double dipping like I did for Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush, but I feel bad intentionally waiting when studios are getting shut down and people are no doubt worried for their jobs.

level

May 25, 2023
Of course this was always going to happen.

I believe GP is not growing as of previous reports so they need the extra money from those who will actually pay.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
that thread was wild, felt like anyone that was against the acquisition ended up getting thread banned eventually.

by the end it was just people gloating how awesome the future looked for gamepass.
That thread was insane and was the most console war thread this site has ever had.
At least now everyone hopefully is on the same page that these big acquisitions are actually bad.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Gee whiz are you telling me $9 a month isn't enough to be profitable when you add your flagship titles to it day one? Damn dude I thought for sure the big brain MBAs at MS had discovered an infinite money glitch us normals just couldn't fathom

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
rpxZMK.gif

BODY BLOW, BODY BLOW, KO....

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Anyone who applied even the slightest amount of critical thinking to the economics of Game Pass could've predicted this outcome when the service was announced.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhh probably gonna sell my Xbox once game pass runs out on it and the ps5 is toeing the line too with the focus on generic triple a shit

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Will Xbox exist in 10 years?
of course
maybe not as we know it today, but it's a strong brand
i can't see game pass existing in 10 years without some major shake-ups though, in hindsight it was a short-term solution that is becoming harder and harder to justify without some major changes in tech and marketing, especially when they can't be arsed to do shit outside america

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
People tried to shout me down, but when COD comes out and it's not in Game Pass I'm just gonna shake my head

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Given how aggressively Microsoft purchased some of their studios, I wonder how many of them already have PS4/5 versions just sitting around to some degree of completion.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Given how aggressively Microsoft purchased some of their studios, I wonder how many of them already have PS4/5 versions just sitting around to some degree of completion.
I believe Redfall developers openly stated that when Microsoft bought Bethesda they had to cancel a PS5 version. Obviously given how much time was between that acquisition and Bethesda releasing new games that version and other possible PS5 versions of games like Starfield weren't anywhere near completion.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Raise the price of Game Pass (it will be one of the last price hikes before they shutter the service)

Don't add CoD to GP

Port HellBlade 2 to PS5

If MS main goal is purely making money then these are easy decisions, ain't nothing to be confused about

Brand is in fucking shambles

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
People are console warring in here.

Subscription is expected to grow to 27% of the overall industry spend by 2026. It's not going anywhere.

They've already said COD will be in game pass.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They also said Tango and Arkane Austin were important parts of Xbox
They also said they need smaller, prestigious, award winning games... One day AFTER killing Tango Gameworks, Hi-Fi Rush's developer, because they want to focus on Bethesda's big IPs... People really need to learn that Microsoft often says one thing, and then immediately does the complete opposite.
I'll believe that Black Ops 6 will launch on Game Pass when as part of the game's reveal Microsoft specifically says so.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Subscription is expected to grow to 27% of the overall industry spend by 2026. It's not going anywhere.

Right. It's always console warring, best deserving of hard bans even.

Can't just be Microsoft/Xbox completely fucking up. Nope.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the way. Raise the price, lower the quality

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
This headline makes it sound like MS is speedrunning killing the goose called COD that lays the golden eggs

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I'm legit letting all my gaming subs lapse when they finish this year. Fuck microsoft and Sony for the bullshit they've been pulling.

Ant_17

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Greece
They already announced that Activision Blizzard games would be coming to game pass day one, hard to imagine them backtracking on that.

news.xbox.com

Xbox's Promise to Bring More Games to More Players Around the World - Xbox Wire

Today, on a special edition of the Official Xbox Podcast, we shared an update on plans to continue to bring more games to more people around the world.

"There will be even more to play as we begin to fulfill our commitment to offer Activision and Blizzard games with Game Pass, both new releases and classic games from its legendary catalog"
I mean, they backtracked that they will let Arcana do another last year.

level

May 25, 2023

The last numbers that came out for GP showed subs were not just stagnating, but falling. They rolled in GP core from the recent transition of Gold to boost numbers.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Gee whiz are you telling me $9 a month isn't enough to be profitable when you add your flagship titles to it day one? Damn dude I thought for sure the big brain MBAs at MS had discovered an infinite money glitch us normals just couldn't fathom
It reminds me of get rich quick scheme. The key thing is for the subs to keep growing indefinitely to pay for all the costs and profit. But that system does not function when there is no growth. I can't believe Spencer and his team based all their initial plans on the filmsy concept.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
That thread was insane and was the most console war thread this site has ever had.
At least now everyone hopefully is on the same page that these big acquisitions are actually bad.
I was legit shocked at the moderation then.
I have a feeling it won't happen like that again though.

Anyone who applied even the slightest amount of critical thinking to the economics of Game Pass could've predicted this outcome when the service was announced.

I've seen plenty of bans for suggesting as much lol

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, an average Joe would think GP would do similar to what Endless Shrimp did to Red Lobster.. However, as Xbox is run by MS, the most profitable company on the planet, you can't blame if someone hoped that MS does some unknown management tactics (or black magic or whatever) to make GP sustainable. I was one of those ppl also to be honest, even I don't main on Xbox.