--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft announced yesterday that four Xbox-exclusive games are coming to PS5 and Nintendo Switch soon, opening up a new strategy for Xbox to be on more screens. Just two hours before Microsoft's big announcement, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer explained the company's new Xbox vision in an internal memo to employees.

It's the first time Spencer has fully outlined a new strategy "where every screen is an Xbox" to employees, after an internal town hall meeting earlier this month didn't address multi-platform games directly.

Microsoft didn't directly mention "Xbox everywhere" or "every screen is an Xbox" during its official Xbox podcast yesterday, but it's not too dissimilar to what the company has been saying for years about its push for Xbox games across consoles, PCs, and cloud gaming. The big difference this time is that the vision has been adjusted to include bringing those Xbox games to rival consoles.

Today at noon Pacific, we'll be posting a special episode of the Official Xbox Podcast.

In this episode, Sarah Bond, Matt Booty and I will share with the community our plans for the future of Xbox. We'll also discuss how our vision will benefit our players, creators, and the industry as a whole.

When we look at the state of our medium, we see players increasingly gaming on multiple devices, but their experience is defined by the fragmentation created by platform silos. Multi-device players have to navigate multiple identities, entitlement libraries, communities, wallets, and reward programs. Similarly, the industry's biggest franchises increasingly ship across multiple devices, requiring creators to build and manage multiple instances of their games, leading to higher costs and fragmented communities. All of this friction creates a tremendous opportunity for us to meet the needs of multi-device players and creators.

We have a different vision for the future of gaming. A future where players have a unified experience across devices. A future where players can easily discover a vast array of games with a diverse spectrum of business models. A future where more creators are empowered to realize their creative vision, reach a global audience, unite their communities, and succeed commercially. A future where every screen is an Xbox.

This is a future where Xbox is everywhere—consistent with our promise to empower players to "play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want."

www.theverge.com

Read Phil Spencer’s Microsoft memo on “Xbox everywhere”

Microsoft gets ready for a future of Xbox games everywhere.

Dec 2, 2017
I don't understand how this goes with the vision of super powerful hardware and maybe a handheld. I know people will explain it a certain way, but to me it all seems contradictory.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Aaah, nice, the dream of infinite growth and adoption. "Every single human must have our product, that is our measure of success"

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I mean it's a solid vision. Why be the biggest gaming console maker when you can be the biggest in gaming period.

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
Not gonna lie, I can't believe The Verge and Tom Warren anymore after the "Starfield/Indiana Jones on PS5"

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is this an Xbox?
samsungsmartfridgeproductphotos-9.jpg

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I can't believe The Verge and Tom Warren anymore after the "Starfield/Indiana Jones on PS5"
The report was that these games were under consideration. Phil is refusing to say anything about their plans beyond the initial 4 games that were also under consideration, but that MS wants to keep unnamed and vague so that it looks less like what was reported on is actually true.

Indie guy

Jul 11, 2022
Italy
Honestly, I'm on board with the future they envision and still interested in buying Xbox hardware, the Series X is still my favorite console compared to PS5, the Sony one doesn't have Gamepass and quick resume.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
User warned: Console wars
I swear the Xbox team worried about every damn thing under the sun except making good exciting video games

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I mean those rumors specifically said that it would release or announce close to the first expansion. Let's see if we hear any more rumblings closer to that.
You are referring to the Xboxera report? I believe they only said the port will be after the expansion, not close to it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
They're 5-10 years too early once again. Microsoft Gaming will be everyhwere, and Xbox will be the dissolving sugar in the coffee.

It's a shame because their own ecosystem is so compelling with cross-buy, cross-play and cross-progression.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this definitely sound like just 4 games...
lol.

Its either more games, or Game Pass everywhere. But to do that....you need native ports of games....and there were interviews yesterday that said Game Pass wasn't coming to PS or Nintendo.

Either way....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

those are future games for the initiative and Phil himself didn't denied the possibility - which after reading this memo, is crystal clear that they will port most games.
His own words:

I mean those rumors specifically said that it would release or announce close to the first expansion. Let's see if we hear any more rumblings closer to that.

Warren never said anything about Starfield, he quoted XboxEra on his article:

" XboxEra is also reporting that Microsoft is planning to bring Starfield to PS5, following the release of the game's "Shattered Space" expansion for Xbox and PC."

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
It's amazing how many letters, words, memos, interviews and podcasts one can write/do and say basically nothing.

Jul 2, 2021
I don't understand how this goes with the vision of super powerful hardware and maybe a handheld. I know people will explain it a certain way, but to me it all seems contradictory.
They're becoming a multiplatform publisher because they spend over $80 billion to buy 2 publishers and 15 studios.
It doesn't make sense to force them to only develop games for an Xbox console that sells 35 million consoles after ~8 years (including PC). They're starting slowly with 4 games and then more "1 year old games" are going to follow.

The "more powerful hardware" and maybe the handheld? They're doing this as a side gig. Like PlayStation with PS VR or PS Portal. Their main goal is to sell software. They can't ignore Nintendo's and Sony's 250+ million installbase anymore.
They want to make money. This is the way.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
tbh it really was XboxEra and XboxEra alone that did kinda hugely inflate everything with their Starfield report.

NateDrake, one of the insiders who kickstarted all of this, was always pretty reserved about this in comparison, he did fall for the Starfield thing for a bit but then he walked back on it.

f3b071a9b12412c315f1635307bed1c9.png

dd4232caee479c08792a8e1044fa0ccf.png

Ended being entirely right about there being four games:
89f22c4b37e2ec7584cc0e0d54ed2340.png

As for Tom Warren and Jeff Grubb, they were only saying stuff like Indy and Gears were being considered, and to be brutally honest, nothing after this Business Update really disproves any of that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"When we look at the state of our medium, we see players increasingly gaming on multiple devices, but their experience is defined by the fragmentation created by platform silos. Multi-device players have to navigate multiple identities, entitlement libraries, communities, wallets, and reward programs. Similarly, the industry's biggest franchises increasingly ship across multiple devices, requiring creators to build and manage multiple instances of their games, leading to higher costs and fragmented communities. All of this friction creates a tremendous opportunity for us to meet the needs of multi-device players and creators.

We have a different vision for the future of gaming. A future where players have a unified experience across devices"

What I underlined and bolded says it all.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that at some point Phil tried pushing the Game Pass to the Playstation and Nintendo platforms. After realizing it will never happen he's now pushing the Xbox exclusive games on those consoles

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
You might need to go back and read my article properly then. Here:

"While Bethesda will launch its Indiana Jones game first as an Xbox console exclusive, it's currently set to have a rather short period of exclusivity we're told. A release for PS5 is being considered for some months later, with Bethesda tentatively targeting a December 2024 launch for the Xbox and PC versions.
Exact timing and platform availability for Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could change, particularly as Microsoft's new multi-platform approach for Xbox games hasn't been finalized."

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
tbh it really was XboxEra and XboxEra alone that did kinda hugely inflate everything with their Starfield report.

NateDrake, one of the insiders who kickstarted all of this, was always pretty reserved about this in comparison, he did fall for the Starfield thing for a bit but then he walked back on it.

f3b071a9b12412c315f1635307bed1c9.png

dd4232caee479c08792a8e1044fa0ccf.png

Ended being entirely right about there being four games:
89f22c4b37e2ec7584cc0e0d54ed2340.png

As for Tom Warren and Jeff Grubb, they were only saying stuff like Indy and Gears were being considered, and to be brutally honest, nothing after this Business Update really disproves any of that.

I mean honestly, until they explicitly confirm Starfield and Indy aren't coming at any point, none of the insiders are wrong.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Weren't all of these reports that the games were under consideration, they can be considered without being part of the initial 4 game lineup.
Reading the article in question, it's clear he isn't saying it's happening concretely. People who thought Phil would go on stage and list out every game coming out to PS5 only have themselves to blame.
www.theverge.com

Microsoft weighs launching Indiana Jones on the PS5

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle could be heading to PS5.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that at some point Phil tried pushing the Game Pass to the Playstation and Nintendo platforms. After realizing it will never happen he's now pushing the Xbox exclusive games on those consoles
Bingo.

And years ago some tried to argue it would be streaming. Why? Game Pass identity is downloadable games.

I mean honestly, until they explicitly confirm Starfield and Indy aren't coming at any point, none of the insiders are wrong.
Exactly.

Even ppl trying to go at Nate...the rumors started with Hi Fi Rush and SoT. That absolutely got confirmed, hell even the mystery game.

Some of us said regardless of Starfield, nothing changed. Under consideration is....under consideration.