• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is super hoping but if it makes bloodborne a perfect 30FPS game I'll get it day one
I don't think you should expect any change to PS4 games over what the PS5 already does for them.

Also, aren't only a handful of games 30fps-only this gen anyway? Didn't we have a whole thread about that not too long ago?

Last edited:

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
For real, tired of waiting, we know more about the pro than the sie executives at this point😂😂

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's obviously not going to make a 30 FPS game 60, but I can see it making a lot of 60FPS games no longer needing to have a vaseline filter, which is becoming more common with 60FPS modes.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
What a dumb headline.

So we're getting 3 modes?

Pro supported: A bespoke PS5 pro mode designed around the Pro hardware.

Pro Enhanced: Quick patches like unlocking Frame rate ,PSSR back ported without other work, dynamic resolution running better,

Ultra boost mode: ??? This has the potential to be interesting as it can't work like the PS4 Pro version without the clock boosts. Maybe frame gen or some form of PSSR that works on unpatched games. Wonder if it will work with PS4 titles?

Jan 20, 2023
ps5 enhanced 60fps guaranteed playstation seal of approval

just do it honestly. make frame time graphs a thing of the past.

Patate

Oct 15, 2022
Of course they are happy to settle for less as the bump in cpu speed is barely anything. This means that games like Dragon's Dogma 2 won't run that much differently to begin with. In those cases, you're better off maximizing the strength of the pro console, which is GPU performance and faster unified bandwidth.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
The majority of current games already have a 60fps mode. There's like less than 5 games that are locked to 30fps or just don't have a 60fps mode. This is fine.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I wish I lived in a world where 60fps was just the bare minimum expected performance in video games.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Maybe it's just me, but 'increased target' on variable framerate/resolution games seems ineffective as a marketing bulletpoint, given how often games are nowhere NEAR that 'target' in the first place.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's not like different modes will disappear on the Pro. Something like Spider-man 2 could have a 4k 30fps quality mode with much better raytracing, but one of the other modes might even hit locked 120fps.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The ultra boost mode should at least include forced 16X AF on legacy titles that won't be getting patched like xbox one x. And something like RTX HDR also.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I play on a 1080p monitor so I truly don't notice.

Alright lol so you can admit you're probably in the minority and "who cares" probably is a lot of people. Couch gaming on a 4K TV really highlights the sacrifices devs are making to get to 60fps this gen. Granular detail on these gen 9 games is pointless when internal resolutions are so low and mixed-bag reconstruction is smearing everything

Jan 20, 2023
Alright lol so you can admit you're probably in the minority and "who cares" probably is a lot of people. Couch gaming on a 4K TV really highlights the sacrifices devs are making to get to 60fps this gen. Granular detail on these gen 9 games is pointless when internal resolutions are so low and mixed-bag reconstruction is smearing everything
those sacrifices aren't some law of nature. its the result of 60fps being an afterthought. "fuck it just lower the res targets and stick on some more aggressive reconstruction, it'll be fine"

actually setting out with 60fps as a fully realised and playable setting from the outset, as should have been the case with this generation when 120hz was also a huge selling point that barely got used, would solve this issue.

but thanks to the swathes of people who happily eat up 30fps dogshit WITH added frame pacing issues, that simply aint happening.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony recommending 60fps as the key feature means that at least when it comes to first party they continue to prioritize 60fps modes even for the base console for all of their games for the entirety of this generation.

I hope Sony themselves never goes back to having only 30fps games.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
barely any changes to CPU means 60fps isn't probably going to be any more common than it already is

just means more RT and quality modes will be able to hit 60fps in some cases vs PS5

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme Rebirth and its sequel in 4k (or whatever upscaling method is required) and 60fps and you can name your price.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
No need for the pro for that game, i think it's already 8k60 on peasant ps5.

Yes, that's why I said "PS5 consoles"... but you can't take advantage of it on an 8K screen yet. But when the PS5 Pro releases... surely 8k output will finally be enabled in the OS, for PS5 consoles.

Edit- nevermind, I don't want to go into it in this thread.

Last edited:

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
I'm really interested to see how this console will stack against the new VGAs from Nvidia (50XX). That delta will show where consoles are compared to the cutting edge technology.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
those sacrifices aren't some law of nature. its the result of 60fps being an afterthought. "fuck it just lower the res targets and stick on some more aggressive reconstruction, it'll be fine"

actually setting out with 60fps as a fully realised and playable setting from the outset, as should have been the case with this generation when 120hz was also a huge selling point that barely got used, would solve this issue.

Sure, it would be cool if every dev set out for 60fps base. On consoles, that isn't happening and it never will. You either deal with it or you accept the sacrifices to get to 60fps... and with something like the PS5 Pro you can potentially mitigate those sacrifices and maintain 60fps.

I won't even respond to the end bit

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Translation: You can make any improvement you'd like (more res, more ray tracing or more FPS) and it will count as PS5 pro enhanced.

I'd love a 60FPS or at least 40FPS minimum mandate but I understand why they want to give devs total freedom.

Jan 20, 2023
You either deal with it or you accept the sacrifices to get to 60fps... and with something like the PS5 Pro you can potentially mitigate those sacrifices and maintain 60fps.

these "sacrifices" are self imposed and made up

if everybody simply aimed for 60fps then there would be no sacrifices. it's not like visual quality is a law of nature.

temporal resolution and IQ is simply not valued to the same extent, which is ironic because i'd argue it's vastly more immediately obvious to the average punter between a sloppy 30fps vs a tight 60fps, or screen space reflections on bodies of water vs ray traced reflections, etc.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I really hope Spider-Man 2 will get a RTGI update for PS5 Pro, would be amazing.