• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
make sense, the expectation is some kind of enhancement, and developers making some enhancement that's this and not that should be given an "enhanced" label too

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but if they release a Pro version of the PS5 and it doesn't achieve 60fps then I would see that as an incredible failure.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I am more than happy to accept 30 FPS games if 60 is impossible. I am more excited for the games that do hit 60 on PS5 now getting an image quality boost. Rebirth's performance mode could really use a pro patch.
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding but if they release a Pro version of the PS5 and it doesn't achieve 60fps then I would see that as an incredible failure.
It's not up to Sony. Devs decide frame rate targets. This has always and will always be the case.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I played the entirety of Spider-Man 2 at 40 fps and it felt fantastic. I would be more than happy for that to become a new target. Surely the people in the market for a PS5 Pro would have a TV with VRR right?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I am more than happy to accept 30 FPS games if 60 is impossible. I am more excited for the games that do hit 60 on PS5 now getting an image quality boost. Rebirth's performance mode could really use a pro patch.
It's not up to Sony. Devs decide frame rate targets. This has always and will always be the case.
Of course but then what's the point if they aren't pushing framerate? Most games already run at 4k/30 or a 60fps mode. So what exactly are they boosting if not framerate at native 4k?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Of course but then what's the point if they aren't pushing framerate? Most games already run at 4k/30 or a 60fps mode. So what exactly are they boosting if not framerate at native 4k?
Image quality just like the last pro. The image quality this gen has taken a huge nosedive due to devs abusing FSR2 with resolutions it has no business upscaling to 4k. The Pro will improve image quality on quality modes for devs who want to push that and fix the downright terrible resolutions for the devs that want to push 60 fps. Immortals of Avem for example push 60 FPS at the massive expensive of image quality. A game like that would benefit from a pro and maintain its 60 FPS target. Also, no one should be pushing for native 4k. It is a waste of resources and often image reconstruction can actually look better using an upscaling like DLSS (which hopefully PSSR is more comparable to than FSR).

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I can't wait for the image quality and RT comparisons between the PS5 and PS5 Pro versions of all the patched games. It's gonna be pretty awesome I imagine. 🤩

I hope lots and lots of games get patched.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I can't wait for the image quality and RT comparisons between the PS5 and PS5 Pro versions of all the patched games. It's gonna be pretty awesome I imagine. 🤩

I hope lots and lots of games get patched.
Even games without a patch should provide a good boost I'd imagine, given that a lot of games run at dynamic resolution, and have options to unlock the frame rate when 120hz is used.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
40fps is incredible. Best of both worlds IMO.
40 fps is fine but nothing "incredible" and nowhere near to actual 60.
It is also possible only on 120Hz display connections meaning that a game is in fact 30 with 40 available only to those with compatible h/w.
In case of PS5 specifically it means running in 120Hz TMDS 4:2:2 mode sacrificing color accuracy. (Which is also why PS5 doesn't have a 120Hz system level toggle which would allow it to run inside its VRR with LFC in all games IMO.)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if the upscaling and fps boost will work regardless if the games got patched or not. Would be neat.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Well, I'm glad Sony is happy to sell a more expensive machine that under delivers similarly to their current one.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sign me up for PS5 Pro Enhanced Demon's Souls and Returnal.

Trying to think of some other games that would benefit, that either run like shit or look kinda rough. Elden Ring and Cyberpunk maybe? I like the quality mode for Elden Ring more than performance and Cyberpunk is always a bit of a rough choice for me as the performance mode seems to lose shadows in certain lighting which makes things look really flat.

Outer Worlds PS5 version really doesn't feel like it should run as bad as it does in quality mode and again noticable quality drop.

Ray Tracing in GT7 during races too maybe? Also Armored Core I really enjoy the sharpness of the quality mode.

Remains to be seen how impactful it is, if they do get some proper implimentation in I might jump in.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to not buy 30fps games if they aren't doing anything spectacular.

After playing Tears of the Kingdom I can't say I've seen any 30fps current gen games that have warranted their framerate.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
It gives developers options, which is fine, and if they decide to go with a PS5 Pro enhancement that is a bumped-up resolution with a 30fps target frame rate that is on the developer and not on Sony tbf.

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
For some of you complaining, remember you don't have to buy it. Its presence doesn't make the base PS5 experience any worse, but for those who appreciate the upgrades (and are willing to pay the premium) it should be a cool experience.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The massive flip online from people seeing the consoles as unprecedented powerhouses that don't need pro revisions, to weak pieces of shit that can barely perform has been a sight to behold.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
The massive flip online from people seeing the consoles as unprecedented powerhouses that don't need pro revisions, to weak pieces of shit that can barely perform has been a sight to behold.

Every single time. We barely get a console (that's been lauded as super powerful omg genius etc etc pre-release) in our hands before 'please sir, can we have some more (for $500)?'. The frenzy here when PS5 was revealed was absurd, even more so when it's to be dropped in the enthusiasts' eyes so damn fast.

I get wanting bigger shinier things, but also... I don't, frankly.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

lol, right
once you see both of these polar opposite "narratives" are aiming for the same standard pre-launch fud, it kinda makes sense.
there is probably a healthy dose of console warring added this time too, since ms doesn't have an answer.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA

Seriously. I made a comment about this at the start of the shift about a year ago and was met with dismissal.

I wonder what people mean when they say we've barely tapped into the power of the console now. From what I understand current console hardware isn't that specialized so at most we're looking at better engine optimization? I'll grant maybe we haven't seen the full potential of immersive storytelling through the DualSense or Tempest hardware/3D audio. But clearly it's a struggle to maintain high frame rate with increasingly high fidelity.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Seriously. I made a comment about this at the start of the shift about a year ago and was met with dismissal.

I wonder what people mean when they say we've barely tapped into the power of the console now. From what I understand current console hardware isn't that specialized so at most we're looking at better engine optimization? I'll grant maybe we haven't seen the full potential of immersive storytelling through the DualSense or Tempest hardware/3D audio. But clearly it's a struggle to maintain high frame rate with increasingly high fidelity.
The introduction of ray tracing has really humbled these "powerhouses" really quickly.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Every single time. We barely get a console (that's been lauded as super powerful omg genius etc etc pre-release) in our hands before 'please sir, can we have some more (for $500)?'. The frenzy here when PS5 was revealed was absurd, even more so when it's to be dropped in the enthusiasts' eyes so damn fast.

I get wanting bigger shinier things, but also... I don't, frankly.
On one hand I'm all for the Pro to increase console level RT fidelity in general as this is being hold back in PC versions by console h/w quite a bit.
On the other hand I don't like that the developers will have another h/w target now in the days where they can barely make do with what we have right now. It is bound to increase the amount of games launching in broken states on various platforms.
And I'm not going to be buying the Pro, had enough of time with the previous one to understand that it's mostly a pointless upgrade.

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
On one hand I'm all for the Pro to increase console level RT fidelity in general as this is being hold back in PC versions by console h/w quite a bit.
On the other hand I don't like that the developers will have another h/w target now in the days where they can barely make do with what we have right now. It is bound to increase the amount of games launching in broken states on various platforms.
And I'm not going to be buying the Pro, had enough of time with the previous one to understand that it's mostly a pointless upgrade.

I doubt it's gonna give devs significant trouble; the PS version would only have one extra performance profile (base and now Pro), and most of these games are also on PC, so devs are already scaling for more powerful hardware. Had they released a less powerful PS5 "Lite" similar to Series S, I'd agree with you more.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they're happy to settle for less, some games are CPU bound and the PS5 Pro won't change that. The game can be enhanced in other areas as well, still giving the PS5 Pro version an edge.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019

On fixed hardware, the target framerate is always a design decision.

In the very least I'm expecting Sony to mandate their first party developers to take full advantage of the hardware and provide updates to their previous titles.