• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
www.theverge.com

The invisible seafaring industry that keeps the internet afloat

How one crew risked radiation, storms, and currents to save Japan from digital isolation.

The internet is carried around the world by hundreds of thousands of miles of slender cables that sit at the bottom of the ocean.

These fragile wires are constantly breaking — a precarious system on which everything from banks to governments to TikTok depends.

But thanks to a secretive global network of ships on standby, every broken cable is quickly fixed.

This is the story of the people who repair the world's most important infrastructure.

The world's emails, TikToks, classified memos, bank transfers, satellite surveillance, and FaceTime calls travel on cables that are about as thin as a garden hose. There are about 800,000 miles of these skinny tubes crisscrossing the Earth's oceans, representing nearly 600 different systems, according to the industry tracking organization TeleGeography. The cables are buried near shore, but for the vast majority of their length, they just sit amid the gray ooze and alien creatures of the ocean floor, the hair-thin strands of glass at their center glowing with lasers encoding the world's data.

If, hypothetically, all these cables were to simultaneously break, modern civilization would cease to function. The financial system would immediately freeze. Currency trading would stop; stock exchanges would close. Banks and governments would be unable to move funds between countries because the Swift and US interbank systems both rely on submarine cables to settle over $10 trillion in transactions each day. In large swaths of the world, people would discover their credit cards no longer worked and ATMs would dispense no cash. As US Federal Reserve staff director Steve Malphrus said at a 2009 cable security conference, "When communications networks go down, the financial services sector does not grind to a halt. It snaps to a halt."

Fortunately, there is enough redundancy in the world's cables to make it nearly impossible for a well-connected country to be cut off, but cable breaks do happen. On average, they happen every other day, about 200 times a year. The reason websites continue to load, bank transfers go through, and civilization persists is because of the thousand or so people living aboard 20-some ships stationed around the world, who race to fix each cable as soon as it breaks.

(sorry, much harder to post an article from my phone than I thought)

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
Very cool article! Thanks for sharing!
Can someone explain how a relatively tiny cable can have millions of million of people using it? Isn't there congestion? and how are they so small with all the data?

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
"This is the story of the people who repair the world's most important infrastructure."

hmm idk plumbing is pretty cool

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Damn, it's crazy that something connected to trillions of dollars is having problems in funding. Like, you would think that countries and big companies would fund the operation of these ships out of necessity to protect critical infrastructure alone. In case of emergency via the military if there really was no one who would do it voluntarily.

I know they say the funding is there, most of it just goes towards new projects, but goddamn ...

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Geez even for one of the most crucial things linking the whole of humanity together penny pinching is still threatening to risk it all.
This system has been able to cope with the day-to-day cadence of cable breaks, but margins are thin and contracts are short-term, making it difficult to convince investors to spend $100 million on a new vessel.

"The main issue for me in the industry has to do with hyperscalers coming in and saying we need to reduce costs every year," said Wilkie, the chair of the ACMA, using the industry term for tech giants like Google and Meta. "We'd all like to have maintenance cheaper, but the cost of running a ship doesn't actually change much from year to year. It goes up, actually. So there has been a severe lack of investment in new ships."

At the same time, there are more cables to repair than ever, also partly a result of the tech giants entering the industry. Starting around 2016, tech companies that previously purchased bandwidth from telcos began pouring billions of dollars into cable systems of their own, seeking to ensure their cloud services were always available and content libraries synced
The situation of SubCom illustrates the industry's strange moment. The company has been withdrawing from maintenance work, according to industry sources, in order to focus on more lucrative installations, many of which are for Google.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's in the article and I missed it, but I've always wondered, where do these cables terminate once they cross the ocean? Is there like a central hub that companies like Comcast pull from at that point to connect homes? Obviously they don't go straight to houses, so they just go..somewhere centrally?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
A friend of mine used to work as one of these repairers. Learnt lots of interesting stuff from him like when southeast asia got cutoff from US due to a ship's anchor wrecking the cables.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to snip the lines going into Russia so the hackers have to call Putin's IT department for help.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Really incredible stuff. I got interested in undersea data cables 15 years ago when my wife and I went to Thailand and couch surfed in Phuket with an older woman whose husband was the captain of a ship that laid undersea fiber optic cables. I read a couple books and was shocked to learn that they started this stuff before the Civil War.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Super fascinating read. Never would have guessed the cables would be needed to be repaired/replaced that often. Incredible work by those in the industry.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out, the internet really is just a series of tubes, running underwater that is.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
dependency.png

Swap out some words.

JSRF

Aug 23, 2023
Very cool article! Thanks for sharing!
Can someone explain how a relatively tiny cable can have millions of million of people using it? Isn't there congestion? and how are they so small with all the data?
There are a bunch of fiber optic strands inside each cable and each strand broadcasts many wavelengths of light. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength-division_multiplexing

They carry many Tb of data per second. Here's one for example: https://www.submarinenetworks.com/en/systems/trans-pacific/tpu
The TPU cable system features 16 fiber pairs on its trans-pacific trunk and 20 fiber pairs on its branches to Taiwan and the Philippine, with an initial design capacity of approximately 13 Tbps per fiber pair, for a total system capacity of up to 260 Tbps.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to snip the lines going into Russia so the hackers have to call Putin's IT department for help.
I feel like there should be some mutually assured destruction type of deterrence here since Russia could just do the same thing back. The cables are so long I don't see how they can be defended from malicious actors. It's quite a scary thing to think about in the event of a serious global conflict.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
There are a bunch of fiber optic strands inside each cable and each strand broadcasts many wavelengths of light. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength-division_multiplexing

They carry many Tb of data per second. Here's one for example: https://www.submarinenetworks.com/en/systems/trans-pacific/tpu
But is the data in the form of basically turning lights on and off and sending it via the fiber at many different wavelengths? I just don't know how it can juggle so many millions crowding into a cable.
Are their millions/billions of different wavelengths all going at the same time?

JSRF

Aug 23, 2023
But is the data in the form of basically turning lights on and off and sending it via the fiber at many different wavelengths? I just don't know how it can juggle so many millions crowding into a cable.
Are their millions/billions of different wavelengths all going at the same time?
A single client isn't using a full wavelength. Data travels in small packets that are being dynamically routed through the internet. The packets have information in them that say where they need to go, which is how they find their way to the server you're making requests to and how the responses find their way back to your computer.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I don't get the fascination or questions really. I mean it all sounds so easy.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there should be some mutually assured destruction type of deterrence here since Russia could just do the same thing back. The cables are so long I don't see how they can be defended from malicious actors. It's quite a scary thing to think about in the event of a serious global conflict.
Russia has been suspected of deliberately cutting undersea cables in the past.
They've also issued threats about it before.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
This was a pretty interesting article to read, thanks for sharing it. I had no idea that it was a struggle to get the staffing to do this sort of work, but I suppose it isn't too much of a surprise.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

We use much, much MUCH fewer wavelengths. Fewer than a thousand currently I reckon and maybe as few a few dozens. You are actually severely underestimating how quickly we, humans, can turn lights on and off. Humans are the gods of turning lights on and off.

If you were immortal, never slept, ate or did anything but turn a flashlight on and off once every single second, and started the day before the dinosaurs went extinct, here is what would have happened during during your lifetime:

• Dinosaurs Gone: About 65 million years ago, a big asteroid hit Earth, causing a mass extinction that wiped out the dinosaurs and many other species
  • Mammals Flourish: After the dinosaurs disappeared, mammals started to evolve and become the dominant animals on land.
  • Birds Evolve: Birds, the descendants of some dinosaur species, began to diversify and spread.
  • Flowers Spread: Flowering plants became widespread, changing landscapes and ecosystems.
  • Grasslands Appear: Vast grasslands emerged, leading to the evolution of grazing animals.
  • Ice Ages: The Earth went through several ice ages, where large parts of the planet were covered in ice.
  • Human Ancestors: The first human-like creatures appeared in Africa.
  • Modern Humans: Our species, Homo sapiens, evolved and began to spread across the globe.
  • Agriculture Starts: Humans started farming, leading to the development of civilizations.
  • Big Cities: People built big cities, and complex societies formed.
  • Industrial Age: The invention of machines and factories changed the way people lived and worked.

The current state of the art would transmit that entire amount of information in one second.

One second.

Like I said. Gods of turning shit on and off.

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, but the internet is not the most important infrastructure as the article sugggests; that would be the electricity grid.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The actual title of the article is "The Cloud Under the Sea", which I just want to say is a such a great title.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Worked a little bit on this from the environmental side, doing impact analyses for areas they propose to lay cables. Interesting work.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome article/story. I spent the better part of an hour reading through the whole thing in its entirety.

Crax

May 21, 2018
Listened to the Vergecast episode where they went over a lot of this article. Super interesting stuff!

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Reading through this now, but gotta say that the web design on this article is ON POINT!

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's crazy that something connected to trillions of dollars is having problems in funding. Like, you would think that countries and big companies would fund the operation of these ships out of necessity to protect critical infrastructure alone. In case of emergency via the military if there really was no one who would do it voluntarily.

I know they say the funding is there, most of it just goes towards new projects, but goddamn ...

I would compare these to firefighters, nurses and even the police. There's never enough money to go around, even when most people would agree that these services are the most important to maintain :P