• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
my only concern w/ stadia is environmental impact but I'm excited at the prospect of ppl being able to play games and not having to shell for hardware
I think concentrated datacenters of shared devices would be better for the environment than everyone having their own next-gen game console. Especially because the owners of the datacenters (Google) are incentivized quite a bit to lower energy usage, while people at home generally don't even notice how much electricity their game console is using. I mean heck, 40% of the total energy used by game consoles is while they aren't being played.

Google's pretty good about it, 89% of their datacenter power usage are the servers themselves, only 11% is used for cooling and stuff, and they try to use as much renewable energy as possible.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It won't flop and once the free tier comes it'll start to gain some traction.
I welcome it btw it's sad to see so many who just want it to fail. You can still buy hardware etc but stadia will exist for a different type of consumer.

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the plan of game streaming in general flops? Like say PS Now is still decent but not a huge service, same with XCloud and Stadia, in 2025-27?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many Stadia videos on YouTube, reddit comment sections, twitter and so on. People want Stadia to die.

Example:

Ok boomer.

in all seriousness, I think it's funny that people are so resistant to this change - especially after what happened with movies. Granted, video games require input so it's different, but it's the future - like it or not.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Stadia's success/failure will have no impact on Xcloud (and PSNow, if they go the route of XCloud).

XCloud is going to be a bit like Netflix streaming. Xbox already has millions of people buying their games digitally and subscribing to Gamepass. Offering a streaming option for these games that people already own is like when Netflix offered streaming as a free add-n to their disks-by-mail service. It's a gateway to the transition. (And unlike the Netflix example, people will presumably always have the option of playing games available via streaming locally, assuming they have a console, because I'm sure they're happy to offload compute from their data farms where possible.)

Again, I feel like Google is going about this the wrong way. The right way is to sell a high-quality controller add-on for phones, and get kids to pay $25 on the Google Store to play Fortnite at PC settings, and/or to be able to play GTA V on their phones. That's the killer app here. That's the audience that the value of streaming is going to speak to. Not PC gamers.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok boomer.

in all seriousness, I think it's funny that people are so resistant to this change - especially after what happened with movies. Granted, video games require input so it's different, but it's the future - like it or not.
It's a long term future, it's not short term and it likely won't include stadia because buying games and having to pay a subscription for 4k is not a positive.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that game streaming sucks. It is not reliable, even with a fast connection (i.e., wired gigabit).

Fix that problem first and then get back to me.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Stadia already has exclusive games and has plans to make more.

I would have no issues if these were options, if the games that are planned exclusive had either a non-streaming copy or reassurance that upon the loss of the servers it will be made available off streaming. But Google have done absolutely nothing to get me to think that.
Exclusives that are (supposedly) going to take advantage of cloud gaming. They are justified if they achieve that.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
streaming is for sure the future, it's how most of us will play games in 10 or 15 years. i just don't think google and stadia will be a big part of that future.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope it dies in a horribly messy and chaotic way, bringing down the entire concept of game streaming to the point where everyone else abandons their ambitions in that space.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bookmark this post for future "lmao told you so" moments if I'm wrong.

-

Even if Google Stadia doesn't meet expectations, it won't be killed off and Google will continue to improve on it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Google came into this like the rich childless uncle who hasn't hung with his nieces and nephews in a few years and is now stuck in a room with them for a few hours.

And the kids are waiting for Xbox, PSNow and Steam to come save them.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
[

you can use controller wirelessly on the chromecast

Achievements are there you just can't see the list of what you achieved until they update. Nintendo also doesn't have achievements

the 4k thing on multiple devices isn't a basic feature that's something only the cloud offers and didn't even exist until recently when googled announced it, they are the first to offer such a thing

family sharing isn't a basic feature either that's something new that has just come about in the last decade and they are adding it soon

I guess I should consider not having to buy hardware if i don't want to a basic feature now too, when are Sony and microsoft going to get this feature
1. *On a chromecast, except the point of stadia is that it wants you to play anywhere

2. Achievements are there except you don't know you got them, how nice, also stop bringing up Nintendo because they are different levels when Nintendo has games you want to play and stadia has games you've played. If you just believe hard enough anything is real.

3. 4k is a basic feature every power focused console manufacture offers and you can get on a pc and has been for at least 3 years on console and far longer on pc

4. Family sharing being around for the last decade constitutes it as a basic feature. Google should probably see what others offer if they plan on competing. They don't and that's why their services usually shut down since nobody uses them, hardware projects usually fail, and Stadia is launching missing basic features.

5. Stadia preorder was $129, each game is $60. An xbox one s is $150 on BF and $200 normally and doesnt require internet.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as a make or break moment for streaming, or Stadia.

Stadia isn't a platform, it's a service. They're not rushing to build an install base faster than the other guys because they'll have an install base of over a billion computers capable of running chrome when they launch their free version of the service. Right now they're working out the kinks, making business deals, kicking the tires on infrstraucture, and doing cost estimates of what it'll look like when they're scaling up. As well as doing the proof of concept, "there's no way you can do cloud gaming well enough to run AAA games at 60 FPS" for the naysayers in the audience.

They don't need to sell millions on day one, and they're not trying.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Exclusives that are (supposedly) going to take advantage of cloud gaming. They are justified if they achieve that.
I don't believe for a second that they will only ever make exclusives that could not exist without streaming. I don't know why anyone would.

They'll take advantage of it, sure, maybe, but unplayable without it from a core design standpoint? Not a damn chance.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They don't need to sell millions on day one, and they're not trying.

This is what a lot of people on this forum fundamentally do not get. They locked "day one" access behind a chromecast and a controller, with a small list of launch countries. Google is intentionally keeping this small to work out the kinks, so when they go big next year it'll be a legitimate competitor. It'd be nice if the "DOA" trolling was bannable but this is Era so I guess not.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't believe for a second that they will only ever make exclusives that could not exist without streaming. I don't know why anyone would.

They'll take advantage of it, sure, maybe, but unplayable without it from a core design standpoint? Not a damn chance.
Who knows if every exclusive will take advantage, but there's no reason to expect that a competent developer won't be taking advantage if they're all-in on Stadia.

I don't see the logic behind your second point. VR already has exclusives that can't work without the technology, so why would cloud gaming not have the same (at least with the way local machines are today) where you could enable much higher player counts for example. I'm not suggesting entirely new genres, because who knows, but games that can't be played without the cloud? Yeah, I don't see why not.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanting it to fail is maybe a bit strong but I'd rather Google didn't throw their weight around in another aspect of my life.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. *On a chromecast, except the point of stadia is that it wants you to play anywhere

2. Achievements are there except you don't know you got them, how nice, also stop bringing up Nintendo because they are different levels when Nintendo has games you want to play and stadia has games you've played. If you just believe hard enough anything is real.

3. 4k is a basic feature every power focused console manufacture offers and you can get on a pc and has been for at least 3 years on console and far longer on pc

4. Family sharing being around for the last decade constitutes it as a basic feature. Google should probably see what others offer if they plan on competing. They don't and that's why their services usually shut down since nobody uses them, hardware projects usually fail, and Stadia is launching missing basic features.

5. Stadia preorder was $129, each game is $60. An xbox one s is $150 on BF and $200 normally and doesnt require internet.
I didn't know I could play uncharted in 4k on PS4 and then move it to pc and still play it 4k

This gen is almost over I don't really care if a Xbox is 150$ I'm looking at next gen

your trying to make out that features that have never been done before are basic features

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I keep seeing this sentiment but why would things work out this way?

Has anything ever pulled off something like this?

From flop to success?

I'm more or less the same. I do NOT like Google.
idk I just think it's a neat idea that could work for a service like this.

but I'm really just trying to be fair, I fucking hate Google

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get that mindset, why would you want something to fail like that?
i want it to fail because it removes some of the things i care most about in games, and if it takes off and results in other platforms (mainly PC) receiving less development resources and games then it hurts my hobby.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like game streaming and I want it to fail.

I don't really care how good game streaming gets.

I like the way games are traditionally sold and used and I want it to stay that way.

I don't mind if streaming becomes a big thing, but I do mind if it continues to eat away at physical game sales.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Who knows if every exclusive will take advantage, but there's no reason to expect that a competent developer won't be taking advantage if they're all-in on Stadia.

I don't see the logic behind your second point. VR already has exclusives that can't work without the technology, so why would cloud gaming not have the same (at least with the way local machines are today) where you could enable much higher player counts for example. I'm not suggesting entirely new genres, because who knows, but games that can't be played without the cloud? Yeah, I don't see why not.
I'm not sure you actually get what my issue is if you're bringing VR up.

A VR game can be printed on physical media and run like any other. It's preservable.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Bookmark this post for future "lmao told you so" moments if I'm wrong.

-

Even if Google Stadia doesn't meet expectations, it won't be killed off and Google will continue to improve on it.
Just all depends on how hard and long it fails, I couldn't even get warranty replacement or parts for my Google Pixel C tablet 1 year after launch bought from Google, ever heard of that tablet? Exactly and google didn't either. Yet they had a new tablet launching soon after and expected me to buy it. Google is more of pretend it never existed here's are new thing kind of company not a lets make this work type.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm not sure you actually get what my issue is if you're bringing VR up.

A VR game can be printed on physical media and run like any other. It's preservable.
I didn't really get that from your post, no. However, Stadia isn't going to turn every franchise into an exclusive streaming game, so why is so bad that Stadia gets it's digital exclusives that aren't preservable that you can otherwise ignore? I wouldn't be surprised if they made a few franchise exclusives, but there are endless games out there to play.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Seems kind of hard to take that statement seriously when xCloud is right around the corner.
Why did everyone forget PSNow exists? That it's been leading game streaming service since PS3 days?

Why do people forget that all these great things that XCloud and Stadia will do, PSNow has been doing these great things for years?

PSNow already made streaming, no need to make-or-break it with Stadia.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They gave you a free high end PC to play with as well as the ability to play on numerous devices?

With Ultimate you can play on Xbox and PC, So that already counts as multiple devices. Plus once they add Xcloud to it and you know that they will. You'll have access to Gamepass streaming on any device just like Stadia. Microsoft is poised right now to have a much superior streaming service, because of all of the things they have that they can bring to the table

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think Stadia will be a success, but it will not be enough to make people abandon the consoles/PC gaming. I mean there's everything aligned to make this happen and people are skeptical enough to at least try the product.

The simple fact that people will be able to surpass the PC requiriments and play some games in a good quality (Cyberpunk, for example), is enough to make people consider the service.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Google to fail. I've just spent my entire software development career playing in the same pool as the elephant that is MS. I just feel like I've seen this play out before.

Prediction != Desire

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I didn't know I could play uncharted in 4k on PS4 and then move it to pc and still play it 4k

This gen is almost over I don't really care if a Xbox is 150$ I'm looking at next gen

your trying to make out that features that have never been done before are basic features
You cant do this on Stadia either because they don't offer 4k on everything and don't have an "Uncharted" which is why we cant forgive the lack of features.

Even if a PS5 is $500 you still pay more long term on Stadia, lets say a PS5 lasts 5 years, Stadia at $120 a year for 5 years is $600, if you play 1080p there's no yearly charge but remember you dont care about that you want next gen. Plus the moment your family watches Netflix your game looks worse.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see it especially if interest isn't there.
Just all depends on how hard and long it fails, I couldn't even get warranty replacement or parts for my Google Pixel C tablet 1 year after launch bought from Google, ever heard of that tablet? Exactly and google didn't either. Yet they had a new tablet launching soon after and expected me to buy it. Google is more of pretend it never existed here's are new thing kind of company not a lets make this work type.
Exactly.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I didn't think Stadia would flop at all . . . but that launch lineup is painful. I don't know if flop is the right word, but it has a ways to go to be an attractive service.

Streaming changed the music industry, then moved onto changing the movie and TV show industry. It makes sense that it will happen to gaming eventually. However I think we're going to be waiting a little while longer, either until the release of xCloud or until Google brings out the big guns.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You cant do this on Stadia either because they don't offer 4k on everything and don't have an "Uncharted" which is why we cant forgive the lack of features.

Even if a PS5 is $500 you still more long term on Stadia, lets say a PS5 lasts 5 years, Stadia at $120 a year for 5 years is $600, if you play 1080p there's no yearly charge but remember you dont care about that you want next gen.
When is Sony going to offer this basic feature

Im using my sub selectively I'm not going to be subbed every month also online play is free