Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't know it existed until reviews popped up on lots my feeds this morning. honestly it didn't seem quite as dumb as I expected but yeah it
last time i'd have "needed" something this was 2006 or something

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You're in luck! Teenage Engineering also helped design the Playdate. A device with an actual purpose!

play.date

Playdate. Order now!

It’s yellow. It fits in your pocket. There’s a crank. It comes with 24 free games to get you started. Say hi to Playdate from Panic.

Heard of this but didn't know they made it. So cute but I can't justify the cost to myself :')

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
AI gadgets continue to be on a roll. $200 for subpar hardware that just runs an Android app.

www.theverge.com

Turns out the Rabbit R1 was just an Android app all along

Looks like this gadget could have just been an app.
I have my ultra infront of my with cellular. What can the r1 do that is better than my watch ?
i saw generative AI being used in an ikea store in multiple locations over the weekend

its not going away

and if siri, alexa etc, are anything to go by, NLP interfaces aren't going away either
ai integrated into Siri and google assistant Can't cone soon enough.so all grifters can go away. Ai pin is the worst offender.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
There might be an interesting application for a personal AI device like this one, but it's not this one. Weirdly clunky shirt clip on thing that looks so weird, odd to interact with, super slow, very very costly $800 + $30/mo subscription... it's just not possible to make that into a real device. I was PO'ed at the reactions to MArques Brownlee's review of it... They sent him a unit to try, it's a piece of shit that's extremely expensive, and he criticized it in a professional way that wasn't mean, and all of these touchy tech leads got upset about his fair, honest, not mean, not sensationalist review.
You're thinking of the Humane pin. The Rabbit is basically a pocket MP3 player type device with a screen at I think $200. Not that that makes it much more useful lol.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I like the design by Teenage Engineering in spite of all the stupid surrounding it. I'd buy like a little mp3 player or game console with that form factor at a low price.

I watched the the MKBHD review of this device, and the design seems just as terrible as the rest of the product.

Obviously the aesthetic part is a matter of taste, but the choice to go with the wheel and single button make the device seem like it would be infuriating to use. And the wheel also takes up a lot of space in a device that has bad battery life.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the the MKBHD review of this device, and the design seems just as terrible as the rest of the product.

Obviously the aesthetic part is a matter of taste, but the choice to go with the wheel and single button make the device seem like it would be infuriating to use. And the wheel also takes up a lot of space in a device that has bad battery life.

I just mean the aesthetic part, on a tactile, toylike level. Its use as an actual functional device is worthless, I watched the same review.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dave2D describes them best.

Essentially, their vision is still a great idea, but they can't implement it as an app on Android/iOS because these OSes will not allow them the access they need to do the things they need to do. Only Google/Apple will be able to implement these visions as an "app" because they have a much deeper access to the user's data. That's why they went with the standalone device approach. He even suggests the reason they were rushed out before they were ready is because Apple/Google have conferences coming up where they are expected to announce similar stuff that's integrated into the OS.
I certainly think there is a market for a useful digital AI assistant in the future. At the same time, I feel like we should also ask what that looks like. A really good personal assistant, by nature, must know your habits, wants and needs well. A useful digital assistant should be greater than just a calendar reminder, especially if you want to integrate AI into it. Afterall, we can already manage our calendars easily, without AI, if that's all we need. So we must ask ourselves, are we prepared to handover every aspect of ourselves to the people behind such digital AI assistant? That is the only way to have a genuinely useful digital assistant, I feel. You can't have privacy and expect the assistant to be predictive and personalized, yeah?

Oct 30, 2017
People only care because they advertised it as running its own OS. If it was an Android fork fine, but just an APK that can run on Android? Less interesting. Not that it changes the functionality or should impact the desirability. It does what it does and that's what matters.

Too bad. I was excited to add another device to my life that needs to be charged every day.

Phone, watch, Aura ring, Rabbit, Humane AI Pin, Ray-Ban Meta Smart Glasses, and colonic smart pipe interface.

i don't see how that doesn't count as an AOSP fork. the "OS" in this case is more like a launcher that connects to the cloud, but that's all it needs to do. it would have been deeply surprising if this thing was designed any other way.

"it doesn't do anything your phone doesn't do" is a valid complaint, but the fact that it isn't your phone is the whole point of the device. that doesn't make it a good idea or a good product, but treating this like a gotcha revelation is weird. everything is android!

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Honestly, a miniature computer without a screen that you access with your voice to do stuff is a cool idea, but even in the best of worlds and 100% accuracy, is still a niche product next to your phone because most of us still crave visual media.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The idea that it would do stuff for you, not just generate answers, was interesting, letting it hook onto all your various accounts. But I'm a bit too nervous about double checking to order travels through a wiseass device. And I'm sure all that will be built into phones very soon, whether you like it or not. The way the camera works does seem to show actual promise, identifying and solving problems in the real world, but it's probably still too slow and cumbersome, and this too will soon be a phone feature regardless of them claiming it's not about apps or phones.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Thinking about this again, this would be a great kids device with the right restricitons. Lost opportunitie.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
I laugh at anyone who buys and supports such dumb and useless things.

Especially when you could just use you f'n phone for every single task this thing claims to offer.

Oct 30, 2017
I laugh at anyone who buys and supports such dumb and useless things.

Especially when you could just use you f'n phone for every single task this thing claims to offer.

this is like saying a kindle could just be a phone app. the point of it is how dedicated hardware can offer a better experience.

does it in this case? sounds like it doesn't! but i'm definitely not writing the idea off altogether. i don't always want to use my phone for everything.

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
I knew this would rubbish as soon as I saw it on Twitter ages ago. A mutual who is a pretty great designer but always seems to jump on these fads (he was an NFT guy) were all over it. I just didn't understand.

At least the AI pin was a cool IDEA. This is just daft.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
this is like saying a kindle could just be a phone app. the point of it is how dedicated hardware can offer a better experience.

does it in this case? sounds like it doesn't! but i'm definitely not writing the idea off altogether. i don't always want to use my phone for everything.
the original kindle was a good product

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it makes all kind of sense to make it an Android app... makes life a lot easier for the developers and also that's a lot of developers you can hire to work on the thing. I personally would have made it a an browser and make it a website. But i guess this is a little bit of breaking keyfabe.

I guess all i want to say is that this seems like it's the least of this thing's problems.

OP
OP
Tobor

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

A kindle has an e-ink screen. A Steam Deck has built in controls and ergonomics for comfortable gaming. The Playdate is a funky little gaming device in a Teenage Engineering case. A device separate from your phone has to have a unique purpose.

The R1 has literally nothing unique that warrants a separate device. It's not better at anything.

Not to mention they want you to authenticate all your accounts on a virtual machine on their servers, which is a huge security risk.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Choosing Android just makes it easy to develop as basically all it does it sends requests to ChatGPT or similar. Anyone can code such app in a day or two, and it shows how little effort has gone into this product.

It also explains why the battery life is so shit as it has to run the entire OS for basically no reason.

Oct 30, 2017
the original kindle was a good product

sure, but all it had to do was be a different kind of screen, and even then it was in super early adopter territory. it cost $400 even though amazon wasn't attempting to make money on the thing. and it came out the same year as the iphone!

A kindle has an e-ink screen. A Steam Deck has built in controls and ergonomics for comfortable gaming. The Playdate is a funky little gaming device in a Teenage Engineering case. A device separate from your phone has to have a unique purpose.

The R1 has literally nothing unique that warrants a separate device. It's not better at anything.

Not to mention they want you to authenticate all your accounts on a virtual machine on their servers, which is a huge security risk.

i'm not saying the R1 is good — i'm saying i think it's likely that there will be a good standalone AI assistant device at some point, and it will almost certainly be "just an android app" too

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I would love the idea of an AI assistant. Note that I said AI, not generative AI. This was destined to fail bc a lot of the pitch for generative AI is snake oil. It's like when we got "hover boards" and they weren't anything like what we saw in Back to the Future.

OP
OP
Tobor

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
sure, but all it had to do was be a different kind of screen, and even then it was in super early adopter territory. it cost $400 even though amazon wasn't attempting to make money on the thing. and it came out the same year as the iphone!

i'm not saying the R1 is good — i'm saying i think it's likely that there will be a good standalone AI assistant device at some point, and it will almost certainly be "just an android app" too

Any good AI assistant will exist on the phone or be an accessory that connects to the phone.

Those $300 meta Raybans that just look like regular glasses are the closest thing to it. AirPods will be an AI assistant.

Any AI feature worth a shit will be baked into the phone OSes.

Oct 30, 2017
Any good AI assistant will exist on the phone or be an accessory that connects to the phone.

Those $300 meta Raybans that just look like regular glasses are the closest thing to it. AirPods will be an AI assistant.

Any AI feature worth a shit will be baked into the phone OSes.

yeah i actually think the meta ray-bans are pretty close already. i would consider them dedicated hardware even though they need to be connected to a phone. same goes for earbuds — nothing's latest have chatGPT built in, for example.

but especially on iOS, you're quite limited with how deeply you can integrate these things, and i think at some point there's going to be something with a screen that makes more of being standalone. maybe it's just a smartwatch if the DoJ case goes anywhere.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The idea that it would do stuff for you, not just generate answers, was interesting, letting it hook onto all your various accounts. But I'm a bit too nervous about double checking to order travels through a wiseass device. And I'm sure all that will be built into phones very soon, whether you like it or not. The way the camera works does seem to show actual promise, identifying and solving problems in the real world, but it's probably still too slow and cumbersome, and this too will soon be a phone feature regardless of them claiming it's not about apps or phones.
We've been using AI tools a lot at my workplace and it's increasingly apparent that AI is unfit for any task that has a failstate. "Usually right but frequently very wrong" is fine when you're generating funny limericks or pictures of lamas, but dangerous with anything more serious. Even mundane stuff like "summarize a phone conversation/Zoom meeting" will wholesale invent things participants said out of thin air.

So yeah I'd never give one of these models access to an account because the ways "frequently very wrong" could go with booking flights lol

Sangral