• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The only reason i would be ok with this one specific case is if this means the devs gets more in their pockets.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that in previous post but, the thing is you don't really get exposure any more after there's tens or hundreds of games. So if they plan opening it to everyone, it will face exact same problem as Steam does.
Well yeah, however, we don't know how Epic will handle this yet. And while they could very well do a poor job much like Steam, the article you grabbed those stats from earlier makes a very good point about this:
Now, let's be honest here. Epic is not a threat to Steam... today.

I downloaded their client. It's ... fine. It's buggy, it's bare bones, and it's catching a lot of flak from customer groups for various reasons (refund policy & regional pricing among others). And even given Fortnite's huge player base, tons of those are kids playing on mobile who aren't old enough to have credit cards (it'd be great if Epic could give us clear breakdowns of their PC install base, and how many have ever spent money on anything).

But.

But but but.

A lot of developers don't care. They know that jumping ship or taking one of Epic's deals is a risk. But staying on Steam is a risk too, when the algorithm could decide without warning that all your marketing efforts (the very ones Valve told you that you should be doing) are now suddenly wrong and you deserve half as much money or less. Precisely because developers now feel that simply staying is a risk in itself, they are more willing to take other, bigger risks.

Even though Epic's launch can rightly be scrutinized, they're still the strongest offering so far, and buying your way to the top is a proven strategy. All who underestimate Epic's offering do so at their peril, and developers are jumping ship to them as we speak.
The article goes into it more and I really recommend folks to read it to get an idea of what problems developers are having with Steam/Valve. But point is: yeah it's not sure if those smaller indie games would get much exposure on Epic's store. But that uncertainty is still potentially more promising for those developers than Steam where their games could very well not be seen at all if the algorithm deems it not worthy of being seen. (Also of course that bigger revenue cut is great and is something more stores should be doing cause developers getting as much as they can get from each sale is a good thing)

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer this on consoles anyway, but I only use GOG and Steam on PC so if any PC exclusive doesn't go on there I won't be picking them up in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I believe in actual competition that benefits the consumer. That isn't going on here at all. The Epic launcher is inferior to Steam in every way imaginable and offers 0 benefits other than to developers.
Steam launched in 2003. Epic Games Store launched two weeks ago.

It's normal to be critical of something, it's actually healthy to as that's how things grow and improve, but the way people are comparing Epic to Valve is laughable and not at all fair. Steam was dog shit for years before they improved. Now for some reason everyone seems to expect a Steam competitor to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, but when it doesn't, they seemingly refuse to use it. Give them time.

Also, and I'm not sure if you know this, but if you got the season pass on Steam, you'll get the two packs on Steam. This Epic Games Store thing is just the stand-alone packs, and is most likely because Epic helped bring the team together to finish the game. So this outrage is nonsense and proves that people don't read past the headline.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Thanks Epic. Glad they stepped in to help with this game so that it could be finished on the PC platform!

This is good stuff. Can't wait to see what else they bring in the future.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Steam launched in 2003. Epic Games Store launched two weeks ago.

It's normal to be critical of something, it's actually healthy to as that's how things grow and improve, but the way people are comparing Epic to Valve is laughable and not at all fair. Steam was dog shit for years before they improved. Now for some reason everyone seems to expect a Steam competitor to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders, but when it doesn't, they seemingly refuse to use it. Give them time.

Also, and I'm not sure if you know this, but if you got the season pass on Steam, you'll get the two packs on Steam. This Epic Games Store thing is just the stand-alone packs, and is most likely because Epic helped bring the team together to finish the game. So this outrage is nonsense and proves that people don't read past the headline.

That's a dumb argument. We're in 2018. Features that weren't on Steam in 2003 were features that didn't even exist back then.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Considering prievious games from Telltale were underperforming on Steam and GOG, I can't see this becoming a hit on Epic Store at all.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's normal to be critical of something, it's actually healthy to as that's how things grow and improve, but the way people are comparing Epic to Valve is laughable and not at all fair.

It's actually very fair. On one hand you have a client with lots of consumer-oriented features and on the other hand you have nothing. On one hand you have a policy of open platforms and standards and on the other you have console-style moneyhatting. On one hand you have a company that has been investing in the PC space as its main business for fifteen years and on the other hand you have a company that bailed on its PC customers just a few years ago. It doesn't get more fair than that.

If and when Epic puts in the necessary work to turn its service into one that customers will actually want to use, we'll talk again. Until then, don't expect anyone to judge Epic by 2004 standards. It's almost 2019.

Last edited:

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so the developer is quoted as saying this. You have absolutely no proof or way to tell it's a lie. And nothing is going to change your mind, not even the people who are making the game. Sounds reasonable...lmao.

BTW, you said "Steam customers buying the season pass got this made." I think what you meant to say is "Steam customers NOT buying the season pass got our company shut down."
SweetNicole feel free to add this to my ever increasing list of posts that ruin PC discussion in this forum.

Oct 25, 2017
this shit is so bad

because they don't like competition, probably
they're mad that there's some serious competition for steam that's not 100% feature complete (since it's brand new) despite likely bringing forth positive change to the industry

lol sure, it's exactly that pal

I think what you meant to say is "Steam customers NOT buying the season pass got our company shut down."
you can't be serious

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
this shit is so bad

lol sure, it's exactly that pal

you can't be serious

It's funny that, when I click on the profile you quoted, I can definitely see where they're coming from. :")

because they don't like competition, probably
they're mad that there's some serious competition for steam that's not 100% feature complete (since it's brand new) despite likely bringing forth positive change to the industry

Ah yes, the positive change to the industry without any 3rd party stores, only one place selling a game at one price... and no features.
Please, tell me about positive change to the industry while you pay your online paywall for something that was free 4 months ago for you while not saying a single damn thing.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys know that the final season of the walking dead was ALREADY planned to be released on its announced platforms and had its development resumed?

I mean seriously how uninformed you can be of the situation? Its clear that epic moneyhatted them had those 'funds' were solely for exclusivity? if you want to take those words spoken by corporates on face-value then by my guest. Don't you think its fucking cheap for that company to moneyhat and make an previously planned episodic multiplatform game that has hundreds of preorders on more than one storefront/client on PC remove from those platforms and make it exclusive to yours? Do you know how fucking scummy that is? Now please don't give me that competition is not only for consumers but devs also BS.. at the end of the day its the consumers who buy their games. They can have all the cuts they want but if no one buys their product then its all over for their game regardless which not in full but in some similar shape will happen and thankfully this cancer will be put out some day.

That link doesn't really contradict anything though? What part am I missing here?

The only thing not mentioned is Epic Games and that'd be for obvious reasons since the store hadn't been announced and none of their partnerships were announced at all at that point.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
That link doesn't really contradict anything though? What part am I missing here?

The only thing not mentioned is Epic Games and that'd be for obvious reasons since the store hadn't been announced and none of their partnerships were announced at all at that point.

This was all to drive my point that the development was already resumed for ALL platforms. and it didn't need any additional funding to release those games. you don't have any proof that they were the ones who helped rescue the PC version..or the PC version even need a rescue to begin with lol. I mean if that were the case there are other several versions of the TWD: Final season in development where did they have funds to develop that? PC was telitale's main platform some years ago and you're telling me even if they announced that all is fine and development is resuming, they somehow needed 'rescuing' for someone to fund their main version and that somehow epic had a big part in it? The only fact is here that the announcement came a month or two after the development started and iam sure they would have ample funds to atleast release the game in a a decent state, since in the past PC has always performed better than any other versions in a Telitale game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And I don't like what Epic is doing at all. I've explained my opinion on this matter several times already in similar threads.

If you read it you would realize that if you own the season pass on other storefronts you'll still receive the remaining episode there. So your problem is...?

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
SweetNicole feel free to add this to my ever increasing list of posts that ruin PC discussion in this forum.

Sorry, I have 500 games on Steam with about 400 unredeemed steam keys from Humble. Just because I don't agree with the same people making the same arguments in this thread does not mean I am ruining PC discussion. he specifically said that the reason TWD was being finished was because of Steam season passes being sold. That argument is straight up ridiculous. I'll enjoy my games on Steam, I'll enjoy my games on Battle.net, and I'll enjoy my games on Epic Store as well. Just because people do not agree with you doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. I've built my last 3 PC rigs and have probably been playing PC games longer than most people posting in this thread have been alive.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
So real talk when is Jim Sterling going to address Epic policy?

He seems to be such an advocate for the gaming consumer against sh**ty industry practices but he's been conspicuously silent on the topic.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

He seems to be such an advocate for the gaming consumer against sh**ty industry practices but he's been conspicuously silent on the topic.
The Jimquisition is now an Epic store exclusive.

Apart from helping out unkown indie devs that never had a successful game on other stores, they now also help struggling Youtubers .

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

Jim has flip flopped between exclusives being good and bad as the industry has changed and arguments have evolved. I think he would be positive on this one. Plus it's a super curated store and it eats into Steam so it really seems to line up with his likes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Cool that they're getting the game finished. Hope it works out for the ex TT people.

If Epic are funding development I get why it's on their platform. That's different than buying exclusivity.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This was all to drive my point that the development was already resumed for ALL platforms. and it didn't need any additional funding to release those games. you don't have any proof that they were the ones who helped rescue the PC version..or the PC version even need a rescue to begin with lol. I mean if that were the case there are other several versions of the TWD: Final season in development where did they have funds to develop that? PC was telitale's main platform some years ago and you're telling me even if they announced that all is fine and development is resuming, they somehow needed 'rescuing' for someone to fund their main version and that somehow epic had a big part in it? The only fact is here that the announcement came a month or two after the development started and iam sure they would have ample funds to atleast release the game in a a decent state, since in the past PC has always performed better than any other versions in a Telitale game.

Where are you getting the argument that it was specifically the PC version that needed saving? Not sure I follow.

'Telltale' btw and still, nothing in that article contradicts anything else. It literally says all the same stuff except it doesn't mention that Epic was there to help them put things together, which again would be for obvious reasons.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Being removed from Steam just makes it easier for me to forget about this game in the long run. Usually they would catch my attention during a sale, but on an altogether new platform that I don't use I'll never be reminded to buy it.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
What they should do is fund third-party games that don't get made anymore. Obviously EA and Ubisoft games are out, but it would be great to see something we haven't seen in a few years come back. I wouldn't even be mad. I just can't think of anything besides SSX, Burnout, Dead Space or Splinter Cell at the moment haha.

This however does not sit well with me.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
For a service that was meant to help the small indie devs they sure do like rolling the red carpet out for only the big ones that already found success while the actual small developers get ignored.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting the argument that it was specifically the PC version that needed saving? Not sure I follow.

'Telltale' btw and still, nothing in that article contradicts anything else. It literally says all the same stuff except it doesn't mention that Epic was there to help them put things together, which again would be for obvious reasons.

If Epic saved the project: Why aren't they publishing it altogether ?
It's just so obvious that it's another case of a store moneyhatting for a game that the 3rd episode is releasing in... 3 weeks.
Not only that, they already HAVE a publisher with Skybound.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just so obvious that it's another case of a store moneyhatting for a game that the 3rd episode is releasing in... 3 weeks.
So... your problem is they didn't pay more and make these games exclusive to their store forever instead?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The company literally went under. Say what you want about the Epic Store and its strategy, but if they helped Telltale finish their game, then yeah, the strings attached are much more crucial than "if you want to launch on Epic, you need to pull from Steam".
The Walking Dead is a huge multimedia property.

The founder of the publisher of this game is a multimillionaire.

They did not need money from Epic to make this game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Helping out doesn't necessitate that they'd be eating their lunch as well.

Another vaguely similar partnership where a company is helping out without publishing would Shenmue 3 with Sony helping fund that game but they aren't publishing.

I just don't think it's as outlandish of an idea as some of you guys but obviously I'm not trying to say any of this with any kind of authority, you could very well be correct on that part but since the wording on the announcement still sounds almost exactly the same.. in that they originally only announced that Season owners will get the rest of what was coming and didn't embellish on the rest, I'll take them at their word because it seems reasonable that it was worded that way for a reason and seems plausible to me anyways.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Another vaguely similar partnership where a company is helping out without publishing would Shenmue 3 with Sony helping fund that game but they aren't publishing.

I just don't think it's as outlandish of an idea as some of you guys but obviously I'm not trying to say any of this with any kind of authority, you could very well be correct on that part but since the wording on the announcement still sounds almost exactly the same.. in that they originally only announced that Season owners will get the rest of what was coming, I'll take them at their word because it seems reasonable that it is a possibility to me anyways.

Sony's involvement with Shenmue 3 was publicly stated the moment the game was announced.

Because they didn't just swoop in last minute with a bag of money in exchange for cancelling other planned versions of the game.

Because they were actually involved in making it happen.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I just don't think it's as outlandish of an idea as some of you guys but obviously I'm not trying to say any of this with any kind of authority, you could very well be correct on that part but since the wording on the announcement still sounds almost exactly the same.. in that they originally only announced that Season owners will get the rest of what was coming and didn't embellish on the rest, I'll take them at their word because it seems reasonable that it was worded that way for a reason and seems plausible to me anyways.

If it's similar to Sony's involvement with Shenmue 3... Well it's a lot of "nothing" then.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ah right thanks.
It looks terrible.
It does and I fucking hate it. /s is easy to read and works just as fine if not better.
The Walking Dead is a huge multimedia property.

The founder of the publisher of this game is a multimillionaire.

They did not need money from Epic to make this game.
Also I remember them confirming that the season will be finished some time ago. No mention of Epic until now. Though I guess this explains why the latest trailer didn't have Steam as one of the platforms.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

The guy who i quoted twice just before gave the impression that epic funded and rescued them out of a pithole so that they could make the game for PC to which i replied back to. Also this comment from the article by their Skybound's CEO doesn't reveal anything that screams that they were in need of a funding but rather "they gave us loads of money and now we're repaying them by making it exclusive to their platform"

"The team at Epic owns a major chapter in the history of the game industry. We're excited to work together on their latest transformative event with the launch of the Epic Games Store. Epic stepped up to the plate immediately to work with us in order to bring the original team back together and ensure fans will receive the completed season of 'Telltale's The Walking Dead: The Final Season."

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's involvement with Shenmue 3 was publicly stated the moment the game was announced.

I already pointed out in my previous posts that the part about Epic Games was the only part not mentioned, but that can be explained by the fact that their entire Store venture hadn't been announced yet.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I'm fine with all this, and don't really care about the store stuff, but it does probably mean I won't get the game cause I only buy digital games at deep discount.

There's always YouTube for the game anyway I suppose, if I wanna see it. I always bought TT games after the last episode hit cause they'd be like $7.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because they didn't just swoop in last minute with a bag of money in exchange for cancelling other planned versions of the game.

Because they were actually involved in making it happen.
And in this case, Epic is involved in developers getting a guaranteed paycheck and marketing they otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Also, delaying Steam releases isn't cancelling other planned versions of games.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I already pointed out in my previous posts that the part about Epic Games was the only part not mentioned, but that can be explained by the fact that their entire Store venture hadn't been announced yet.

If you were right: Why didnt they show it during TGA's ? :)
Nor when they announced the release date of the next episode ?
Pretty simple: Discussions were still going on.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
This is just PC gaming now. Time to accept it guys, from here on out it's moneyhat fiesta and its multitude walled gardens.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

So what timeline are you proposing? You think that the only reason they resurrected the game was because Epic was footing the bill, but Epic wanted none of the massive amount of goodwill and positive PR that would go with that announcement, but would want the negative PR associated with preventing this already in development game from coming to Steam?

Regardless of if they did or did not need Epic's money. Let's not whitewash the overnight closure of Telltale in order to fit a narrative of "Epic Store Bad".

I don't know what that sentence means. Which aspect of my post is whitewashing? Which aspects are me bending the truth to fit a narrative, rather than simply presenting facts?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The company literally went under. Say what you want about the Epic Store and its strategy, but if they helped Telltale finish their game, then yeah, the strings attached are much more crucial than "if you want to launch on Epic, you need to pull from Steam".

So without Epic moneyhatting the PC Version, Episode 4 would not have come out on PS4, Xbox, Switch and PC?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is just PC gaming now. Time to accept it guys, from here on out it's moneyhat fiesta and its multitude walled gardens.

Like I didnt accept online paywall, I wont accept this shit.
People wont accept it either I think. Because a multitude of walled gardens will only lead to one thing: High piracy rates.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I guess people really want to hate on Epic just because it is not Steam.

I can't believe the reactions in this thread.

It took 3 pages for more than a few to acknowledge the fact that Epic may be helping the team financially so this gets to see the light of day and even then some still call it shady. This is great for the devs and great for us since we get the game. it is also great because those that already have it on Steam get it there.

I cannot see why anyone would hate on this moves.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Like I didnt accept online paywall, I wont accept this shit.
People wont accept it either I think. Because a multitude of walled gardens will only lead to one thing: High piracy rates.

Agree with you. Didn't stop the online paywalls tho.

And I don't think this particular fragmentation of the market will behave the same way TV/Film market does, thus It won't lead to more piracy, since the different walled gardens are technically free.

I do belive it will lead to a worse PC market overall, since most of these new players are not making the commitments to the platform that players like Steam and GOG have, for things like Linux support and stuff like that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm whatever with them getting new release as exclusives, for the most part, but I'm really not a fan of them paying to remove stuff off of other stores, just them being extra shitty.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you Epic. Really, fuck you.

Edit: was in a foul mood and didn't read the article. Did Epic put money on this? That's what I gather from the article.
Regardless, I don't like this shit at all. Let's see if this will convince people to buy the game from the Epic Store. Personally, I doubt it.

As for me, I will wait for the eventual Steam and GOG release a year later. Meanwhile, Youtube.

Edit2: reading this thread and more about Skybound, my original statement stands. Fuck you Epic.

Last edited: