• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Everything you need to know about The Witcher 3 on Switch, a complete edition that crams as much into a 32GB install as possible. Visually speaking it packs a swathe of great visual features – making it one of the system's great tech showcases - though we'd be remiss to overlook the sub-30fps performance.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Article:

www.eurogamer.net

The Witcher 3 on Switch: a close-up look at a mobile miracle

What The Witcher 3 achieved four years ago remains an incredible feat. It's the best example of world building I've see…

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
gotta update this gif
lLdYJLS.gif

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution and some of the prominent cut backs made for the conversion.

Docked:
720p is the highest we've seen the game render at while docked, dropping to 960x540 in our tests at lowest, seen while panning past the city in Toussaint.

Portable:
Handheld play works the same way as docked - a dynamic pixel count that adjusts based on load. Here Switch uses 960x540 as the top number, but drops steeply where it needs to. Pick a busy street in Novigrad for example, and the lowest reading comes in at just 810x456

NPCs are drawn at half frame rate at distance:
their draw distance is compromised on Switch, but the rendering range on NPCs is generous enough to cram everyone in. The only snag is that the frame-rate on characters is halved towards the distance.

Pop in issues:
Beyond the inevitable blurriness, there are further downsides. The first is pop-in; often it's well-handled, but Switch has limits in how quickly it can draw everything in. The big trouble spot is cut-scenes; fast camera cuts overwhelm the system, and the way geometry flickers in and out can be pretty glaring. Detail-rich areas such as Novigrad can also push the streaming systems hard, resulting in pop-in that varies on repeat tests.

Textures, filtering and sound quality also take a hit:
The Witcher 3's drive for compression also has an impact beyond FMV quality. Textures and sound also take a hit. Texture assets and filtering are of a notably lower quality, where a form of trilinear filtering is used which adds to the generally blurry look

Foliage density compared to PS4:
There are few surprises in terms of console comparisons. Beyond the resolution drop, shadows, textures, and LODs are altered. Panning around the outskirts of Novigrad, foliage density is pruned back significantly. It's all reined in, creating a generally less filled out world - at a distance anyway - on Switch. It's amazing what's achieved on a smaller, less powerful system, but the trade-off to make it happen can't be overlooked.

Docked performance:
And while there are some notable dips, the bulk of the time in areas like Velen - at least outside towns - delivers a mostly solid 30fps. Docked play is solid, but dense areas like Novigrad will see performance drop to something closer to 20fps.

Portable performance:
Portable play is similar, but not quite as robust overall. Once again, we're looking at 30fps, but when taxed in stress points it'll go into the 20s

Last edited:

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
As "poor" as it looks, nothing screams unplayable and it's actually a testament to the devs for making the whole thing possible. I mean come on... portable Witcher 3!?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is quite impressed by the work done there by Saber and CDPR :
Overall, Saber and CDPR hit an impressive bar of quality here. Clearly, performance can vary, but on balance it holds 30ps more often than I expected. The Witcher 3 Complete Edition pruned back everything it can to be playable, while still somehow retaining a lot of its best visual features. Graphical points like reflections, light shafts, water physics, and even a high NPC count are incredible to see on a handheld.
This is close to perfection. The only thing you more you could ask for is a cloud-based mechanism, to transfer PC save games to Switch and vice-versa. The feature worked brilliantly in Divinity: Original Sin 2 and suits a massive-scale adventure game like this one. Being able to play an uncompromised experience at home on PC, and swapping seamlessly over to Switch for portable play, would delivered the best of both worlds for the most ardent Witcher 3 players. And I really should stress that the handheld experience is very special overall. In fact, it's a stunning technical showcase for the Switch and a credit to the developers at Saber Interactive and CD Projekt RED.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's just amazing to me that the game runs on the Switch at all. Who ever even expected this? I remember there being so much skepticism when the game was first leaked. It's a victory just to get this to run on the Switch, to do it as well as they did is nothing short of witchcraft.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone write a summary for those who can't watch?
read the write-up in op

Docked
720p max, 540p lowest
30fps with drops
Settings lower than PC low, select animations missing
720p cutscenes, with compression artifacts
Pop-in more noticeable than PS4 (cutscenes most problematic)
Textures, sound, LODs (foliage) pared back/compressed
Water rendering looks good
NPC count is similar to PS4
AO, light shafts, motion blur (can be toggled), AA
Grass doesn't animate

Handheld
540p max, 810x456 lowest
30fps with drops, more drops than docked

Recommended to play handheld, as there's much better ways to play on a TV

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
No cross save is a huge missed opportunity, would actually buy it if it was possible - as an extension of the pc version, I'd love it, just clearing up some side quests in portable mode while I'm away from home, then playing the bulk of the story at home. The docked graphics are just too poor for me to enjoy, given how much of a strong point the presentation of the game is especially on PC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the achievement is more about craming such a big game on Switch rather than the state of it. Because it goes without saying: The cost for that conversion was really harsh. Harsher than I had imagined.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get why everyone is comparing the Switch version to the PS4. Should've kept it to PC low settings for all the video.
I'm really debating getting it on the Lite despite playing the base game on the PS4, but not the DLC.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's an impressive port merely from the "how did they manage this" perspective.

But let's be real: 540p and 25fps is pretty freaking garbage in 2019, and not even kind of an ideal way to play this. Portability is neat, yes... but as much as I love my Switch, this is not how I'd ever want to play this game.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Man this look WAY better than I thought it was gonna look when it was announced. Obviously not the best way to play, but the fact that it can even be played with this fidelity is fantastic.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I do like how people are pointing out the inevitable cutbacks with the port and not the actual stuff they managed to keep such as NPC count, ambient occlusion, screen-space reflection in the water (amazed they did that), the water effect in general, Rays, etc. There's a load of post processing effects that they somehow managed to keep in.
As for framerate, it dips in the expected areas of Crookback bog and Novigrad, as they do in all console versions.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This is another game that feels like it's fine if it's your only way to play, but I wouldn't pay $60 for a downgrade just so I can play it handheld when I have other alternatives.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I do like how people are pointing out the inevitable cutbacks with the port and not the actual stuff they managed to keep such as NPC count, ambient occlusion, screen-space reflection in the water (amazed they did that), the water effect in general, Rays, etc. There's a load of post processing effects that they somehow managed to keep in.
As for framerate, it dips in the expected areas of Crookback bog and Novigrad, as they do in all console versions.
Yeah, the fact that Novigrad holds the NPC density is surprising to me.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I often roll my eyes to posters who are disappointed when the mobile tablet can't match the fidelity of other much higher power console.

Feels like some people expect literal magic to come out of the thing.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the achievement is more about craming such a big game on Switch rather than the state of it. Because it goes without saying: The cost for that conversion was really harsh. Harsher than I had imagined.

I don't get it. What did you imagine? I have played it on PS4 pro, and am still pretty impressed with the way this has turned out in portable mode. It looks good in portable and is still the same gargantuan game. I think it is a great option for those like me who have played it before, and what to now play through the game casually. I don't have access to my home console much now, and would rather play games I haven't played before on that...

Nov 6, 2017
Impressive technical achievement to get the game running on switch. Nice for people who like to play such a game on a mobile device or only have a switch.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 did not perform great on the base consoles so to see it on Switch running at all close to 30FPS is pretty good. I don't think I could handle it though even in mobile. This is definitely not the way to play the game on tv screens.

I wish I could see how it looks on the switch screen though

solidsnakeiv

Dec 28, 2017
The fact that they have accomplished this type of fidelity on a hand held....is just an awesome achievement. I'm all in for getting it and I already own it for the XBOX X

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's an impressive version, but the cut-backs are most certainly there and very glaring.

Definitely not the version you wanna be playing docked on a TV if you have any other console available.

15ljzq.png
Yeah, I mean obviously the Switch was never going to match the other versions. But dropping as low as 540p (the same resolution as the PS Vita screen) when docked with major cutbacks to textures, draw distance, and LODs makes this not a very good experience on a tv

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Not having swaying grass seems like a bizarre cut to make. Overall, looks like as good a Switch port as we were gonna get. I think it was very smart of them to focus on the portable experience rather than docked.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's an impressive version, but the cut-backs are most certainly there and very glaring.

Definitely not the version you wanna be playing docked on a TV if you have any other console available.

15ljzq.png

Man Witcher 3 is my favorite game of the gen and I'd play it on a phone of they put it there. But I honest feel like I couldn't play this on the Switch for no more than 30 minutes at a time at best. Just looking at that blurred image starts to fuck with my eyes after a bit (I wear glasses).

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Not having swaying grass seems like a bizarre cut to make. Overall, looks like as good a Switch port as we were gonna get. I think it was very smart of them to focus on the portable experience rather than docked.
I think that would be a CPU-bound process, and the CPU is already taxed to the maximum with this port.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
They accomplished magic honestly. This is a 15 watt tablet for fucks sake. It's a port for those who want portability or whose only console is the switch. It's fantastic for what it is. Definitive experience? No for sure.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm extremely impressed that they managed to pull off a Switch port with such fidelity.

That being said ... this isn't a game I'll be buying because I have the option to play Witcher 3 on other platforms that make far fewer compromises.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Man Witcher 3 is my favorite game of the gen and I'd play it on a phone of they put it there. But I honest feel like I couldn't play this on the Switch for no more than 30 minutes at a time at best. Just looking at that blurred image starts to fuck with my eyes after a bit (I wear glasses).
You would be fine with the portable version because the screen being much smaller would make the thing far more pleasing than this comparison would show.

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Man that's blurry as fuck. Kudos to the team that got it running on a handheld but game was clearly not made to be played at such a low resolution.