• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one here that thinks that the RT mode water in this game looks butt ugly in comparison to the 60fps mode water?
It's god awful in this comparison video. This maybe seals the
deal for me of not using it. 😅

Those are just screenspace reflections that they added for PS5 and Series X since they can't have raytraced reflections additionally to raytraced global illumination and ambient occlusion.
I do think they look a little blurry and weird when you are far away from the body of water, but if you are closer, they look actually quite nice and certainly better than the no reflections at all version.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
In the DF video? That's a new SSR implementation, not an RT reflection.

But no personally I think it looks a shitload better than the 60fps' dull opaque surface.

Yes, I just called it that because it's for the RT Quality mode.
I think it looks awful. Muddy, shimmery and fake, it doesn't really feels like real water for me anymore and like a huge step down, you can beraly even look through it now even on shallow water.
I know most will probably agree to you and DF here but for me this looks bad. Huge disappointment.

RQZ4bk.png

RQZprx.png

RQZ74H.png

RQZOP1.png

but if you are closer, they look actually quite nice and certainly better than the no reflections at all version.

I loved how in shallow water you could look through it to the ground like it's crystal clear water, that made it feel real and watery to me, always love it when games do that, here, the change in even shallow water just feels wrong to me.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks awful. Muddy, shimmery and fake, it's doesn't really feels like real water for me anymore and like a huge step down, you can beraly even look through it now even on shallow water.
I know most will probably agree to you and DF here but for me this looks bad. Huge disappointment.

RQZ4bk.png

RQZprx.png

RQZ74H.png

RQZOP1.png

I mean, in the first shots you can't even tell that there is any water in the performance versions. With the added screenspace reflections you can tell, and while they look blurry, they imo look fine.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I think it looks awful. Muddy, shimmery and fake, it doesn't really feels like real water for me anymore and like a huge step down, you can beraly even look through it now even on shallow water.

RQZ4bk.png

RQZprx.png

RQZ74H.png

RQZOP1.png

I loved how in shallow water you could look through it to the ground like it's crystal clear water, that made it feel real and watery to me, always love it when games do that, here, the change in even shallow water just feels wrong to me.
You can't even really see the water in the first 2 shots, no puddles in real life are that clear and un-clouded. Second two shots are just kind of "blue surface with basic caustics". IDK, looks pretty crappy to me. Not what you're focused on if you choose Perf Mode, but definitely nothing to praise.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Can't wait to get back on Roach, looks great and the improvements beyond just visuals is something I didn't expect.

franloradr

Jul 3, 2022
are they releasing a new physical version for both consoles with this new version or is just a digital update ??

i dont see anything new in amazon but i remember seeing a new cover with both console game's boxes somewhere

at least rockstar did it the same with gta v

Sep 6, 2022
A part of me for some reason wonders if Henry Cavil will jump onto this at some point.
Henry is a huge fan of Witcher 3 and overall gamer from what I remember.

I can imagine when this update drops, he tells his agents "clear my schedule, I am vacationing in Skellige for the week, do not bother to come looking for me"

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

RQZ4bk.png

RQZprx.png

RQZ74H.png

RQZOP1.png

Agreed.

Sep 6, 2022
Oh cool! I didn't realize he was a fan of 3. He'll definitely clear his schedule for this then lmao.
He said this in an interveiw:

"My first involved experience [with the franchise] was The Witcher 3," he tells me, explaining how he's now played developer CD Projekt Red's 100-hour role-playing epic two-and-a-half times to completion, experimenting with different difficulty settings, first on regular difficulty and then on the game's toughest setting, in order to find the perfect balance of fun and challenge."

Henry is definitely going to no-life the shit out of this update lol.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Well with transmog officially disconfirmed, I wonder why. Feel like there must be a specific reason considering everything else they've accomodated

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Well with transmog officially disconfirmed, I wonder why. Feel like there must be a specific reason considering everything else they've accomodated
I think it's just a creative decision, ultimately. Everything in the game is more-or-less justified in-world, even the armor dyes come from a guy in Toussaint specifically who you have a conversation with about his craft. Having someone use something kind of taboo like magic to make one armor look like another just doesn't fit the world.

I mean I know a lot of people want it but that's probably the reason they're not doing it. Personally I'm good with that, I don't think all games need all features from a common pool, but that's just my taste.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
He said this in an interveiw:

"My first involved experience [with the franchise] was The Witcher 3," he tells me, explaining how he's now played developer CD Projekt Red's 100-hour role-playing epic two-and-a-half times to completion, experimenting with different difficulty settings, first on regular difficulty and then on the game's toughest setting, in order to find the perfect balance of fun and challenge."

Henry is definitely going to no-life the shit out of this update lol.
That's very cool. Yeah, I knew he was a huge fan of the books (hence his frustrations about the show), but him loving 3 somehow escaped me.

Awesome nonetheless!

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
are they releasing a new physical version for both consoles with this new version or is just a digital update ??

i dont see anything new in amazon but i remember seeing a new cover with both console game's boxes somewhere

at least rockstar did it the same with gta v

Yeah they are gonna release physical editions but so far they haven't announced yet when that will be.

Last edited:

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I think it's just a creative decision, ultimately. Everything in the game is more-or-less justified in-world, even the armor dyes come from a guy in Toussaint specifically who you have a conversation with about his craft. Having someone use something kind of taboo like magic to make one armor look like another just doesn't fit the world.

I mean I know a lot of people want it but that's probably the reason they're not doing it. Personally I'm good with that, I don't think all games need all features from a common pool, but that's just my taste.
You know what, them tying most mechanics into lore isn't a bad thought for why, and I'd understand that.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Remember when Witcher 3 was one of the biggest offender of bullshots and downgrades at the time when trailers have been called out of this practice.

I don't really know if this was still the case after a lot of updates later. I just thought that early trailers are also a target render that will be subject to change.

I am just wondering how does Witcher 3 compare with this version to those early days of its target render.

Game looks great now before the update but I'd love to finally finish the game with this ultimate version and also finally playing the DLC lol (I stopped at the final mission during my first playthrough and never got that far again in subsequent restarts)

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I cleared my backlog and ready again for this masterpiece. PS5 version looks crisp.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

That probably isn't the full list, right? Because the new camera types are basically from a mod that is years old by this time, volumetric clouds around Skellige mountains were first introduced in a mod too and some other, more gameplay focused features and additions about which they talked about previously are all from different mods too

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
That probably isn't the full list, right? Because the new camera types are basically from a mod that is years old by this time, volumetric clouds around Skellige mountains were first introduced in a mod too and some other, more gameplay focused features and additions about which they talked about previously are all from different mods too

the devs said the camera was done by them, so its not from a mod.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of these upgrades bundling a bunch of mods in, I'm usually too lazy to deal with mod load orders and the nexus launcher and such, so I'm really looking forward to just a single click install on Steam.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I hope they also added a direct fast travel to Crow's Perch. Was always annoying having to run through the whole village to get to the baron

www.nexusmods.com

Crow's Perch and Hattori Fast Travel

Mod adds new fast travel point in Crow's Perch/Hattori, near Baron's house. Mod has 3 versions - Only Crow's Perch FT, Only Hattori and both of them. For patch 1.30/1.31

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they also added a direct fast travel to Crow's Perch. Was always annoying having to run through the whole village to get to the baron

www.nexusmods.com

Crow's Perch and Hattori Fast Travel

Mod adds new fast travel point in Crow's Perch/Hattori, near Baron's house. Mod has 3 versions - Only Crow's Perch FT, Only Hattori and both of them. For patch 1.30/1.31

Well

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the nvidia hairwork tm tech is still in on pc and maybe improved?

Is console getting any of that or something similar?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I appreciate the video but my reaction is "…that's it?"

Sometimes I feel like ray tracing is a gimmick that I just don't understand. Some of these comparisons look different but not necessarily better.

RT isn't a gimmick but it can vary in visibility. The DF video mentioned that the pre-approved b-roll footage they're allowed to show didn't actually show it off that week, but when they were playing it out was excellent, especially in interiors since it handled light streaming in from outside much more realistically.

I mean, in general terms, ray tracing isn't a gimmick, and it's definitely most literally the future, we're just very much still at a stage where it's inclusion in games is still very limited. We're generations away from fully path traced games like the RTX editions of older games like Quake 2 or Portal.

Actually, "generations away" might be a bit too pessimistic. Cyberpunk 2077's new Overdrive RT mode is apparently outright path-traced, and the 4090 is capable of running it pretty nicely if you abuse DLSS 3 (or even just 2, though you won't quite hit 60fps).