• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Netflix has officially renewed The Witcher for a fifth and final season as filming commences on Season 4 of the hit fantasy drama.
The Witcher secured a fourth season renewal in October 2022, but Netflix has only now given Season 5 the greenlight. The two seasons will be filmed back-to-back and will adapt the remainder of Andrzej Sapkowski's books, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow, and Lady of the Lake, to conclude the TV adaptation.
www.ign.com

The Witcher Renewed for Fifth and Final Season as Production Gets Underway on Season 4 - IGN

Netflix has officially renewed The Witcher for a fifth and final season as filming commences on Season 4 of the hit fantasy drama.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Happy to hear it and I'm looking forward to how they carry forward without Henry Cavill. I'm keeping faith that Liam Hemsworth will do well with the role!

Dalamar86

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
That's a lot of content to cover but I can see how it could be managed. Just needs to be a tight narrative from here. Probably for the best honestly.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love how Netflix greenlights 2 seasons in advance despite not knowing the reception for s4, and yet shows that do moderately ok get canned immediately lol

Oct 26, 2017
I love how Netflix greenlights 2 seasons in advance despite not knowing the reception for s4, and yet shows that do moderately ok get canned immediately lol
Maybe a smart move for marketing? I had 0 interest in season 4 not only because of Cavil being gone, but because I believed it would never get a proper ending. To hear now they have a good head's up to wrap up the show and stories? Tickle me surprised. Think I'll actually dive into season 4.

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022
They better give Three Body Problem enough seasons for all three main books AND the spin off if they are giving -Checks Notes- the WITCHER five seasons.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Cavill was really good in the role, but the supporting cast is good enough that I'll give it a fair shot.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least it'll have a conclusion for those that are still into it

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Doing three books in two seasons is definitely going to be interesting to see. But honestly I really don't think it'll be that hard to handle all things considered. They've already got a lot of the setup done for it

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmmm speed running the final books then. Weird choices from the start on this adaptation. Hopefully one day we'll get a good one.

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm speed running the final books then. Weird choices from the start on this adaptation. Hopefully one day we'll get a good one.

To be fair a lot of the later books are just Geralt and the others travelling somewhere in Ciri's general direction and getting sidetracked all the time

which I liked because Geralt's party is really fun and Regis is awesome. But in the show it will probably be condensed a lot

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
I'm surprised how this was handled. Was it too expensive? Was it not profitable enough? The IP (and the quality of the first seasons) merited a long running series. Thought Netflix had secured a mini-GoT of sorts.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
I'm surprised how this was handled. Was it too expensive? Was it not profitable enough? The IP (and the quality of the first seasons) merited a long running series. Thought Netflix had secured a mini-GoT of sorts.

I would guess a combination of the poor reception for S3, losing their original lead (and the ensuing bad press), and probably most importantly the total failure to sell anyone on the awful spinoff. Also, if the rumors about the writer's room are true, they're probably not fighting too hard to keep this thing going over getting a shot at something new from Netflix.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Getting to 5 seasons in the streaming age is a huge achievement. I can;t say I watched the last season of The Witcher but i did enjoy my time with it to fill my GoT void.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't actually watch 3.

People are talking about it covering the books - I was under the impression that it had basically diverged from them? Thought that was a reason Cavill left

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't actually watch 3.

People are talking about it covering the books - I was under the impression that it had basically diverged from them? Thought that was a reason Cavill left

It's not all that faithful to them, but i think a large chunk of the fans are from the games anyway so it's not that big a deal to me as I don't feel the need to have all the same stories told the same way. Like the series can go ahead and skip the amnesia stuff and I'm okay with that.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Renewing 2 seasons is smart so people who are mildly interested to watch it without Cavill doesn't bail. Hope it'll finish strong.

Also...getting 2 seasons renewal is nothing. The Dragon Prince straight up got 4 seasons order before the release of season 4.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I remember they cut short filming on The Rats spinoff last year, i guess it was even worse than I assumed

View: https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1781920118466883686

according to that article The Rats was halted in the middle of filming last year by Netflix after just 1 episode was shot, and speculation is either it'll be folded into season 4 or released as a one off single episode, but definitely no spin off show.

Be fascinating to learn why they greenlit season 5, they clearly know this IP has some major issues and they have showed zero hesitation in cutting other stuff out early, but Witcher keeps going.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember they cut short filming on The Rats spinoff last year, i guess it was even worse than I assumed

View: https://twitter.com/RedanianIntel/status/1781920118466883686

according to that article The Rats was halted in the middle of filming last year by Netflix after just 1 episode was shot, and speculation is either it'll be folded into season 4 or released as a one off single episode, but definitely no spin off show.

Be fascinating to learn why they greenlit season 5, they clearly know this IP has some major issues and they have showed zero hesitation in cutting other stuff out early, but Witcher keeps going.

I'm guessing Blood origins had them shook. If this spin off is anywhere on that level they might as well just scrap it.

I wonder if for once Netflix feels kind of an obligation to finish it? The show has been one of their tent poles and cancelling it midway through would really enforce the idea that Netflix cancels everything.

Last edited:

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, someone else can reboot this in a decade or so and actually do it right next time...

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the one show I dropped for the most stupid (but telling imo) reason

I really liked season 1 despite the amateurish everything, but when season 2 tried to deviate criticism of the confusing structure and timelines with a drunk idiot character representing the audience who was using a similar story in universe to joke about "when you understand there's multiple timelines you realize it's actually good!"....I mean not only was it cringe and broke the fourth wall in the worst possible way, but basically told you they were unwilling to second guess themselves.

Also it wasn't that the timelines thing was so hard to piece together, the stupid thing was mostly because they failed filmmaking 101 and made visuals the same for all of them and characters even were wearing the same things, lmao

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing Blood origins had them shook. If this spin off is anywhere on that level they might as well just scrap it.

I wonder if for once Netflix feels kind of an obligation to finish it? The show has been one of their tent poles and cancelling it midway through would really enforce the idea that Netflix cancels everything.
I don't get these posts. If the show wasn't having good engagement numbers, netflix wouldn't hesitate to cancel it like they've done with other shows in the past. Most of the people watching the show have not read the books and are enjoying it for what it is, despite all the negative posts on here and reddit

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't get these posts. If the show wasn't having good engagement numbers, netflix wouldn't hesitate to cancel it like they've done with other shows in the past. Most of the people watching the show have not read the books and are enjoying it for what it is, despite all the negative posts on here and reddit

It's a lot like Halo series. If you have no idea about source material then it's passable to ok-ish time to watch, but if you know source material you are in for bad time.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Witcher season 3 was so dull that I couldn't even finish it.
As a big fan of the show, I watched only the first episode of season 3 and then stopped. I just didn't like it. They took the focus too much off the main core characters, and then had them split up. I didn't care about all the other stuff they kept cutting to. I didn't feel the show had developed those other things in a way for me to care about them.