NA: May 19th, 2020
EU: May 22nd, 2020
JP: June 11th, 2020

Physical (Retail)*:
NA:
June 30th, 2020
EU: July 3rd, 2020
JP: June 11th, 2020

*Due to COVID-19 affecting production, Kickstarter copies will be shipping late June, and may not arrive until after Retail launch for some backers.

w101storyupjnt.png
Blossom City has come under attack by the alien force known as GEATHJERK. The Wonderful 101's story follows Wonder-Red, a superhero working for CENTINELS, and his team of Wonderful Ones as they try and stop these invaders. What struggles will the team encounter on their journey? What secrets will be uncovered?

w101charactersxgjp3.png
The Wonderful 101 features a large cast that you will meet up with and become familiar with throughout its story. Here are a few of the first Wonderful Ones You will encounter in your journey to stop GEATHJERK:
w101_charyhji7.png

w101gameplayg6jbd.png
The Wonderful 101 is a self-described "Unite Action" game. While it looks similar to games such as Pikmin at a glance, don't be fooled: this is a full-fledged action game similar to Bayonetta or other works by PlatinumGames, just with an isometric view.

Using the right analog stick, you will use the Wonder-Liner to draw various shapes to create Unite Morphs (such as circles, lines, and squiggles in various combinations). Unite Morphs serve as your weapons for stopping evil, and are then controlled with the attack button to create combos with unique moves as you would in other action titles.

As with other titles in the genre, you will collect currency from defeating foes, exploring the environment, and completing missions to unlock various in-game upgrades to make yourself more powerful. On top of this, the Unite Morphs themselves gain experience from usage which will unlock many tools you've come to learn and love from other action titles such as a dashing stinger attack, launchers, and AoE attacks!

To break up the action, The Wonderful 101 features various unique gameplay sections ranging from Punch-Out style segments to Kamiya's signature shoot-em-up sequences. There's quite a bit of variety here!

w101faqjejl2.png
How does this play without the Wii U Gamepad?
The controls themselves are largely the same, just without the touch screen. Drawing is done with the right stick entirely now and you can pull up the second screen as needed using a button in-game. You are able to freely position and resize this screen as needed to your liking.

But I liked the touch screen!
It is supported on the Switch version if you are playing in handheld mode.

So how do I play this game properly? It's so intimidating and many tools are not well explained!
If you are interested in learning about the mechanics in-depth, Saur's breakdown series is an excellent watch. The Wonderful 101 is a very deep title, and there are a lot of various mechanics the game has to offer, and these videos serve as a great guide to them. You can find the playlist here.

How do I avoid damage?
The block and dodge abilities are (for some reason) locked behind upgrades you unlock in-game. Luckily, for the Remastered version, these abilities cost next to nothing and can be purchased immediately upon reaching the first Wonder-Mart in-game! Make them a priority and unlock them first. You'll thank me later.

General rule of thumb: if it looks sharp you should dodge using Unite Spring, and if it isn't: block it with Unite Guts! Several Unite Morphs also feature additional properties to help prevent damage. If you see fire then you should switch to Unite Hand! Laser coming at you? Make a Unite Sword and reflect it back!

Is there anything new here?
There is a new re-orchestrated OST present in game. The game will receive post-launch updates as well to add a new Time Attack mode and also new side-scrolling story starring Luka from the game's story.

What's going on with the PC Version?
Some users are reporting various issues with the PC version currently. It appears for the best experience, you should play the game full-screen at no higher than 1080p. There appears to be multiple bugs caused by raising the resolution to 1440p or 4K at this time, these include camera malfunctions which can make various encounters much more difficult.

A few other suggestions to help improve the experience by ERA members:
www.resetera.com

The Wonderful 101: Remastered goes up on Kickstarter

This is not part of the game tho. This is a tool to force AA for example

I will also try to use the Threadmark feature for any fixes or mods available. Please check there!

What's performance like?
Digital Foundry put together a video that goes over this

Any word on a patch?
So far, PlatinumGames has not mentioned any word on any patches for the game so far.

Links:
Kickstarter
Kickstarter Discussion Thread

w10127ekxo.png

Last edited:

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone have a list with the gameplay/systems changes? Heard the game wasn't changed much but curious to see if there is anything notable (besides obviously the frame-rate).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the regular Switch release, extremely hyped to replay it soon!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Good thread start OP.

Could use links to some tutorials, in addition there were some PSA's noted in the last kickstarter thread.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly don't think I want to play this game again.

I loved the presentation and the base gameplay was interesting but the game tossed SO many annoying gameplay changes and gimmick levels at you it became exhausting.

This really bugged me because whenever I felt myself getting the hang of the base gameplay, I was tossed into another gimmick level messing up my learning process. Then when I finally returned to an actual fight I was lost and had to scramble to remember how to fight.

It's a shame because I loved everything else about the game other than playing it.

OP
OP

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone has any suggestions on links to add, please let me know!

I added Saur's guide since I remember that being extremely popular over the years. Of course, if anyone has any specific tips or information they want added I can also add them in.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
Thanks OP.

The GOTG, I hope it will find the success it needs this time around and I mean outside the kick starter campaign.
I loved the presentation and the base gameplay was interesting but the game tossed SO many annoying gameplay changes and gimmick levels at you it became exhausting.
Kamiya's signature, I understand how it can turn people off, but I do love his approach to pacing TBH.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Tried to back this project several times, but it wouldn't process my card for some strange reason.

It means I have to wait, which is a shame as I have nothing to play now and am bored as fuck.

With Xenoblade at the end of the month, I'm not sure I can squeeze it in - reckon I can get it done in a week?

I'm a huge fan of Platinum so will buy and play it eventually.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games ever made imo. It is just so unique and a crazy wild ride. I hope now that it is out on modern platforms people finally give it the attention it deserves.

Tried to back this project several times, but it wouldn't process my card for some strange reason.

It means I have to wait, which is a shame as I have nothing to play now and am bored as fuck.

With Xenoblade at the end of the month, I'm not sure I can squeeze it in - reckon I can get it done in a week?

I'm a huge fan of Platinum so will buy and play it eventually.
It's a long game, but you could definitely play through it in a week's time if you really focus on it.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Does anyone have a list with the gameplay/systems changes? Heard the game wasn't changed much but curious to see if there is anything notable (besides obviously the frame-rate).
Here's what I've noticed so far:

-GamePad display is now a mini display (similar to some options on the Wii U version) toggled with the -/select button (or equivalent), but you have more freedom with how it appears; e.g. you can move it around to anywhere on the screen, or you can have it appear parallel to the primary display.

-Holding down the R bumper will allow you to use the right stick as a free-cam in areas that used to be displayed on the GamePad; gyro-cam is also optional now, toggled in the settings.

-You can no longer use multiple Unite Morphs right away, instead requiring you to purchase it as three separate skills in the shop.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think I want to play this game again.

This really bugged me because whenever I felt myself getting the hang of the base gameplay, I was tossed into another gimmick level messing up my learning process. Then when I finally returned to an actual fight I was lost and had to scramble to remember how to fight.

It's a shame because I loved everything else about the game other than playing it.

The thing I think people need to wrap their heads around if they're going to enjoy the game is that despite all claims to the contrary the Wonderful 101 is not a really solid core gameplay loop interrupted by gameplay changes and gimmicks - the gameplay shifts are the game just as much as the brawling. It holds up on replays so much better than if it was just the brawling for the entire game because there's always something new in each level. The game feels like this dynamic, constantly-shifting thing that keeps you on your toes and constantly surprises you.

It's like one big, explosive qte that you're always playing.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Kickstarter backer so I got a copy. Here's what I've noticed so far:

-GamePad display is now a mini display (similar to some options on the Wii U version) toggled with the -/select button (or equivalent), but you have more freedom with how it appears; e.g. you can move it around to anywhere on the screen, or you can have it appear parallel to the primary display.

-Holding down the R bumper will allow you to use the right stick as a free-cam in areas that used to be displayed on the GamePad; gyro-cam is also optional now, toggled in the settings.

-You can no longer use multiple Unite Morphs right away, instead requiring you to purchase it as three separate skills in the shop.

Thank you!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so glad to be back in this game, even early on once you get unite spring and guts it gets fun as hell to just whip around fucking shit up

hopefully my laptop holds up, 1080p, vsync, and low graphic settings have been buttery smooth so far

also forgot how great the wii u pro controller is. light as a feather but solid as hell, stick placement is underrated for idle thumb time and this is actually one of the games that benefits from the right stick being up top

gonna be fun, will probably beat this on steam and switch when it eventually ships

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Interested to see how this holds up and without the touch screen. I loved it first time round, expecting to really enjoy it second time round on Switch.

OP
OP

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
excellent OP! id suggest adding these two posts to the OP, aimed at the pc users:
www.resetera.com

The Wonderful 101: Remastered goes up on Kickstarter

This is not part of the game tho. This is a tool to force AA for example
Sure thing! Also included a note about resolutions above 1080p presenting bugs. Thanks!
An OT by Tyrant Rave? Beautiful.

Post photos of the jacket!!
Physical rewards are definitely a ways off lol. But when I get my Wonder Red jacket I'll be sure to share along with everything else it comes with.

W101 is a ton of fun, and I hope everyone experiencing it for the first time enjoys it. It's not my favorite Kamiya game (Bayonetta), but it's so bursting at the seams with charm and creativity that I think it's hard not to love if you give it a chance and click with the mechanics. I'm a diehard fan of Kamiya and I'm way into superheroes and stuff, so I absolutely adore this game. But I feel that's pretty clear considering how much I pledged haha

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
But I feel that's pretty clear considering how much I pledged haha
That's what I was thinking when I read your recent tweets about it.

It's actually the only Wii U game I haven't beaten. I found a number of things frustrating, despite all that I find charming. I need to get back at it, because I do still think it's fascinating and unique.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
How much music is new? and is it posted anywhere just to hear it for comparisson? I still have my Wii U copy and am fine with that so I likely wont get this version til it goes on sale, but I am curious just to hear the new tracks.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
So, like how good is the combat in this game? I am looking to possibly buy it for PS4.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
So, like how good is the combat in this game? I am looking to possibly buy it for PS4.

Imagine a character action game where you play as a Swiss army knife. It takes a lot of getting used to and experimenting to figure out which tools work the best for which situations, but once it clicks it's some of the absolute best combat in any game.

OP
OP

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I think as far as combat goes, it's their best game behind Bayonetta in my opinion (and I'm sure some people may put this above that, so that's just my PoV). There's quite a bit of depth and the game gives you a lot of different tools to play with. It has a much steeper learning curve, and is far less immediately accessible compared to other titles in the genre, but it's very rewarding to learn and play once you do.

There are 7 or so main weapons, all with their own movesets and uses that you can freely swap between whenever you like. On top of that, you can even summon them like assist moves in something like Marvel Vs. Capcom to open up even more possibilities. And that's before other factors. It feels very fluid and free flowing like you'd expect from Platinum.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
One of the best games ever made imo. It is just so unique and a crazy wild ride. I hope now that it is out on modern platforms people finally give it the attention it deserves.

It's a long game, but you could definitely play through it in a week's time if you really focus on it.

Thanks for the info! I'll see how knackered I feel the week before the 29th. I will buy this anyway at some point, I love Platinum too much to pass it up!

Oct 29, 2017
Will be interesting to see how the performance is on Switch. The original Wii U version ran at around 30FPS for the majority of the game and only really rarely hit 60FPS (Dropping all the way into the low teens at some later points in the game; especially in the Vorkken fight, where it might even be single digits!)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong I think everyone should play through the game once...just there's so much tedium I remember that puts me off a revisit

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
2 hours in with Switch version, I like it so far!

The first hour was pretty rough because I don't know about purchasing the Dodge and parry lol thought it would be introduced naturally 😂

Still didn't fully understand the team attack purpose, but I'm getting a hang of it.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
2 hours in with Switch version, I like it so far!

The first hour was pretty rough because I don't know about purchasing the Dodge and parry lol thought it would be introduced naturally 😂

Still didn't fully understand the team attack purpose, but I'm getting a hang of it.
Team attack has your guys latch onto the enemy to eventually stun them. Very useful for certain enemies, especially ones with high defense.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Pro tip: use the attack liner into an enemy to heal yourself :)
You do need Energy Converter for that to work, but yes. This is how you heal mid-fight in this game.

As for everyone who's digging into this for the first time. Yes, you will feel like the game makes no sense and you're flailing wildly at the enemies at first. This is normal. It will click eventually, best thing to do when learning is to play defense and smack the enemy with a large Hand when they're open. You can add fancy moves to it later I suggest looking into Sword and Gun next, they add quite a bit to your fighting. And don't worry too hard about ranking yet. Consolation Prizes suck to get, but it happens.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad more people get to experience this game. It's criminal how overlooked it was back in 2013. Though it didn't help that it was on a console nobody bought.
I hope this does well enough for Nintendo & Platinum to do a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
How much music is new? and is it posted anywhere just to hear it for comparisson? I still have my Wii U copy and am fine with that so I likely wont get this version til it goes on sale, but I am curious just to hear the new tracks.

So far, it's just The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 100, all variations thereof, and Tables Turn that have been reorchestrated. Tables Turn is linked a few posts above, but there's no clean rip of Won-Stoppable yet.

I wouldn't expect the Koshiro/Shimomura/Okabe remixed soundtrack to drop for quite some time.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Question : in combat the tool I'm currently using will be more powerful for a few seconds if I add more people to it from what I understand.
Is there any away to replenish the "big" weapon without having to redraw again ?

I love almost everything so far (act 5) but I gotta admit the "drawing" system gets very old, very fast.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, after all these years I'm still in love with this game. It's sooooooo good. Granted you stick with it or read up on it to ease the learning phase.

Playing it on PC in 1080p/60fps does so much for its readability, really having a blast going through it again.

Also, something I forgot and rediscovered today : go craft some Wonder Credit Cards so you can buy the more expensive stuff quickly. I didn't remember how you have to pretty much unlock or buy EVERYTHING in this game, even the command moves are gated behind total levels for the different "classes" ; btw check who's the leader for each weapon once in a while and change them once the current leader is maxed out, it's on the second screen while in the levels just press select.

Question : in combat the tool I'm currently using will be more powerful for a few seconds if I add more people to it from what I understand.
Is there any away to replenish the "big" weapon without having to redraw again ?
There's a module that lets you power up a weapon by keeping the attack button pressed. It's something I made sure to buy asap this time.

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
There's a module that permits to power up a weapon by keeping the attack button pressed. It's something I made sure to buy asap this time.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
BIG PSA for every version of the game, read here!!!

You can adjust the size and position of the second screen
by pressing Select, once the second screen is up hold the Select button and you will have this menu:

20200509185749-1.jpg

20200509185742-1.jpg

You can even play on a double screen mode and chose the size of the two portions of the screens:

20200509185803-1.jpg

That's it, have fun!

p.s. I've found it be messing around, don't think it got explained in the game, sorry if it's old news <3

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
So far, it's just The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 100, all variations thereof, and Tables Turn that have been reorchestrated. Tables Turn is linked a few posts above, but there's no clean rip of Won-Stoppable yet.

I wouldn't expect the Koshiro/Shimomura/Okabe remixed soundtrack to drop for quite some time.
OK thanks, so I'm not missing much then. Not yet at least.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
One of my favorite games ever made. probably top 3. masterfully game design without and compromises to appeal to the masses. I adore this game so much. Enjoy the ride everybody

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is difficult, and I'm only on like the third mission, but damn if it isn't spectacular all the fucking time, it's incredible. Super fun to play, too and the best looking Platinum game.

What's not to like?