• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2018
Yea I feel sometimes it's the reverse.

If I based what I thought the real world is like solely on post here and never went outside you'd think America was a dystopian wasteland where there was no hope and everyone hated each other. But if fact it's quite the opposite.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm probably not what my "persona" is on ERA, in real life either.

I'll call people dumbasses and assholes in my daily life all the time. People I've known for 20+ years.

I'd never even think of calling someone a dumbass here.
It's probably just that my thoughts are filtered through text here.
I'd have to conciously call someone names, while thinking about my own position.

And I know my position often stems from a "stomache-feeling" rather than from logic or empathy.

If anything, being on a forum like this(and the previous place), made me think more about why I would defend the opinion I have, or IF it was defensible at all.

Oct 25, 2017
This place is definitely negative. There are a few community threads I post in regularly (comics, book reading, maybe if a new game comes out and i play it) but otherwise I try to limit how much I'm here and read/post. I find that despite the challenges the real world presents, I actually have a voice and a role to play. Here I'm just nameless rabble and can get Das Boot at any time. Then everything I've invested in this place (time spent, friends made, communities I've been a part of) is gone forever. The real world I will always have that stake in things until I'm dead. Nothing here feels very permanent. Always in the back of my mind I feel like it could blow up at any moment.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This place is definitely negative. There are a few community threads I post in regularly (comics, book reading, maybe if a new game comes out and i play it) but otherwise I try to limit how much I'm here and read/post. I find that despite the challenges the real world presents, I actually have a voice and a role to play. Here I'm just nameless rabble and can get Das Boot at any time. Then everything I've invested in this place (time spent, friends made, communities I've been a part of) is gone forever. The real world I will always have that stake in things until I'm dead. Nothing here feels very permanent. Always in the back of my mind I feel like it could blow up at any moment.

This is how I feel too, complete opposite of Neogaf or any other forum/discord really. You can't truly have your own opinion here, it's either hive mind or ban. Just leads to less and less interaction and more and more of an echo chamber that could just collapse at any moment.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
While I think that many of the ideals presented and discussed on this forum are admirable, it is simply not the reality that I see when I walk down my city in my regular day-to-day life. This is not to say that issues discussed by ERA don't exist, it's just that reality is much more simpler and mundane than what is presented here. Add to what posters have been saying here that this forum is by and large a hive-mind and that there are many threads where discussion is geared toward that mind set.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is how I feel too, complete opposite of Neogaf or any other forum/discord really. You can't truly have your own opinion here, it's either hive mind or ban. Just leads to less and less interaction and more and more of an echo chamber that could just collapse at any moment.
I don't agree with this
If it was truly hive mind you would not be able to freely say you support Biden. Sure the Bernie fans will be fucking pissed but they can't do shit and you won't be banned for supporting Biden.
In regards to having your own opinion.

a lot of threads here are about racism or how a minority group got fucked over. like a lot of threads here are just straight up horrible stories with only one type of morally acceptable response. What kind of opinion are you trying to have besides racism is bad you know?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Other than the fact that half the people here are depressed, and the other half are nihilists or under near-constant risks of panic attacks, it is a really joyful experience!!!

Half-joking :)

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Some of people in this forum are also alarmists and I haven't encountered many of them in real life compared to this site.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% never worried about being banned for anything I post. Ever. Never ever.

Dr Funk PhD

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Resetera is.... not a great place, generally. Like I understand where they're coming from about making an inclusive space but they've overcorrected to the point of no return. I'm a liberal and inclusivity is important to me but I feel that any sort of thought that strays from a highly progressive orthodoxy gets shut down immediately by mods or witch-hunts. There's a real culture here of anger and alarmism that leaks from Twitter and frankly disturbs me. I've been here since the very beginning and don't post very much but I don't really know how what I get it of this place and it may not be for anymore.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

If I based what I thought the real world is like solely on post here and never went outside you'd think America was a dystopian wasteland where there was no hope and everyone hated each other. But if fact it's quite the opposite.
By Gawd, you managed to crawl up the wall of your crater and, caked in bone dust and filth, scrabble across the shattered hellscape of America with sufficient cunning to evade the cannibal gangs and locate a device that was somehow functional enough to send a message to this forum? Inspiring. Thank you for your bravery.

If you run fast, I trust you'll stay one step ahead of the mutant scavengers and make it back to your irradiated hovel in one piece. Godspeed.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, there's A LOT of fear mongering on this website. I doubt it's good for people with high levels of anxiety.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I think this is most notable when you post about a moment in your life interacting with the public, and people here just have no concept how it could happen. It's not all negative, but as a fly on the wall, you see a lot of random things happen.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
There is far more nuance in the real world, whereas here things can be very black or white. I don't think it's healthy because it's a way of discussing things that is often detached from reality and probably contributes to the frustration some members apparently feel when they confront the same situations in real life.

Mod posts in controversial threads might help keep conversation civil but they do make them somewhat detached from how the same conversation would go down in a real world scenario, which is why this place can be a bubble.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Real life isn't like Era. People in real life leave to other places when they aren't comfortable instead of keep reminding you how they hate the place every time they can.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Era was the real world I'd have been outcast to the island of shadows and dust years ago.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Era is just basically kids high fiving each other over how good and kind and nice they are while pretending they live in some dystopian YA novel.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
If Era was the real world I'd have been outcast to the island of shadows and dust years ago.
Era:
Screen-Shot-2016-01-26-at-10.22.59_c5bvyp.png

The Island of Shadows and Dust:

massoravbilderpa_24253.jpg

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Resetera is.... not a great place, generally. Like I understand where they're coming from about making an inclusive space but they've overcorrected to the point of no return. I'm a liberal and inclusivity is important to me but I feel that any sort of thought that strays from a highly progressive orthodoxy gets shut down immediately by mods or witch-hunts. There's a real culture here of anger and alarmism that leaks from Twitter and frankly disturbs me. I've been here since the very beginning and don't post very much but I don't really know how what I get it of this place and it may not be for anymore.

Some posters and communities are still worthwhile for me.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Everything here gets twisted and turned into some anti-X,Y,Z agenda.

Look at the Costco hot dog thread, ffs. Regular ass business decision gets twisted into some sort of anti-poor agenda orchestrated by businessmen and millionaire Costco members who want to see people die by not providing $1.50 hot dogs to the public anymore.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, my thoughts exactly. Everything here gets twisted and turned into some anti-X,Y,Z agenda.

Look at the Costco hot dog thread, ffs. Regular ass business decision gets twisted into some sort of anti-poor agenda orchestrated by businessmen and millionaire Costco members who want to see people die by not providing $1.50 hot dogs to the public anymore.
I am still laughing about this one. Genuinely. I was in Costco today and all I thought about was that thread and how insane some people are.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far easier to say what I'd like about some topics outside of this bubble. Some opinions must not be shared here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You are under arrest.

"What have I done?"

You have been arrested for dismissing concerns, a felony.

"That's a felony?"

Yes, also ignoring the sign posted on the road.

"I didn't see it. What did it say?"

Dismissing concerns is a felony.
Assuming you're an adult, do you really need to be told to not do that? To me it just seems like a pretty standard expectation of behavior. Not only that but it's literally in the rules under "dismissive behavior".
What dissenting viewpoints? Huh? What dissenting viewpoints do you have that you're unwillling to share??! Out with it!!!!!!

/s
I mean, yeah, if it's racist or sexist stuff it doesn't belong here so it's kind of important to make the distinction right?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm currently stuck in a rural, heavily conservative town and if it wasn't places like this, I'd probably lose my mind.

Next month, when I'm leaving, can't come soon enough.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The outside world can have its bad moments, but at least I don't frequently encounter people thinking they get isolated to death because of Corona while living in no mans-land, mention Trump in every single fucking instance, even in completely unrelated topics and a plethora of other unhealthy stuff. Like, yesterday my simple stance of female Link not making any sense when we can have Zelda as a playable character spiraled into multiple posters including mods jumping to paint me as one of those capital G Gamers for no fucking reason.

I get some people here have some serious real life issues, have a lot of shit to deal with because of how their surroundings perceive them, whether its because of their skin colour or sexual orientation, disablities, or looks....but sometimes it seems like its also because of how those posters perceive their surroundings. I would have an absolutely miserable time if my worldview would stem from this place. Someone used the term well adjusted and well...yeah...

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
[Citation needed]

But yeah, it's bad. It seemed to be slowly getting better, until Trump and the rise of the far right shifted the Overton window back. :/

I'll be glad when Trump's gone from office so that him & his cult fanbase goes back into obscurity while we can get back to a return of morality & normalcy & fixing this country.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So many people on here seem to live in a bubble that I wonder if they even leave the house sometimes
How so? I see a fair amount of people who have idealistic societal and political beliefs and advocate for them sure, I dunno if that's what you mean. I guess you could call it a bubble but it would be better than the world we have currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.