Sep 5, 2021
"[Executive creative director Chris] Metzen and the story team had this incredible idea, and it all evolved around the 20th anniversary coming up. What story can we tell that is worthy of 20 years of operation?" Hight explained. "There's no way that story was going to fit into a single expansion. The notion of doing it as a trilogy came forward because it provided for the creation of a conflict, a resolution, a turnaround, and then a bigger payoff at the end."

World of Warcraft has consistently received expansions since it launched in 2004, and that shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon as Blizzard delivers the grand payoff for a story that's been building for over two decades. Hight did clarify one lingering question about the culmination of The Worldsoul Saga: "This is not the end of World of Warcraft; this is the end of this big chapter. We will continue to do expansions beyond that."

www.digitaltrends.com

Warcraft devs lay out a grand vision for the franchise's future | Digital Trends

Warcraft's developers told Digital Trends their vision for the franchise's future, and that includes releasing World of Warcraft expansions at a faster rate.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd say "well yeah of course" but there's definitely been a contingent of people saying the end of the saga will usher in the start of WoW 2 and I just don't think that basically ever happens.

Anyway idk I think WoW's in a pretty good spot right now and I've enjoyed DF a lot.

Rusty Jacket

Sep 11, 2023
The world of Azeroth is still huge with lots of coop ideas to keep playing with, and with Metzen back I am very curious how the story folds next.

I hope we see The Old Gods threads taking the front stage.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say "well yeah of course" but there's definitely been a contingent of people saying the end of the saga will usher in the start of WoW 2 and I just don't think that basically ever happens.

Anyway idk I think WoW's in a pretty good spot right now and I've enjoyed DF a lot.

Despite WoW being a monolithic success, a WoW2 is actually pretty damn risky after all this time.

It may sound like a sure fire hit in theory, and it may have initial success, but WoW2 would need to actually do something to get people who play WoW to swap over and that would not be easy. People have not only monetary attachment to their characters but emotional attachment. Some folks have been playing the same character for 20 years and still love it and getting them to abandon that all will not be easy.

Phantasy Star Online 2 in Japan was a pretty damn big success, was literally carrying SEGA during it's darker years in the middle 2010's. Yet now because of New Genesis (yes it maybe call PSO2 but in all intense and purpose it's PSO3), the original game and New Genesis are now doing fairly poorly. Cause they couldn't get everyone to swap over, even with cosmetics transferring and then cause base PSO2 gets no more support, there isn't a reason to stick over there either.

A WoW2 has a potential not only to fail, but kill the original game as well.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Even if they want to continue with more expansions, which is completely understandable, maybe at some point they need to switch to a "WOW2" of some sort, basically as a way to actually evolve the engine (not because of graphical quality, but actual features, tech and start anew), and try and make Azeroth on biut of a bigger scale and new actual ideas. Though lately they've been evolving some parts of the engine such as animation quality and in the ingame cinematics department.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine why anyone expected anything else. WoW 2 is not a thing. The WoW team has been iterating and replacing all the old constraints of the original WoW system and they are showing no signs of stopping.

Khaines

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is just doing the Marvel thing. Metzen is their Feige. They are doing marvel-style announcements in hopes that people will stick it out for 3 expansions to actually see conclusions to the story they started.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they want to continue with more expansions, which is completely understandable, maybe at some point they need to switch to a "WOW2" of some sort, basically as a way to actually evolve the engine (not because of graphical quality, but actual features and start anew), and try and make Azeroth on biut of a bigger scale and new actual ideas.

This already happens without needing to stick a 2 at the end. This coming expansion zones are entirely built on the tech they created for the Zaralek Caverns got layered zones between the surface and underground without loading.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The world of Azeroth is still huge with lots of coop ideas to keep playing with, and with Metzen back I am very curious how the story folds next.

I hope we see The Old Gods threads taking the front stage.

Second expansion, Midnight, is all about the void and what is left of the Black Empire.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Mar 15, 2019
I was thinking of jumping back in but then hoped that WoW2 was around the corner. Silly me.

Hopefully more games in Azeroth outside of WoW.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This already happens without needing to stick a 2 at the end. This coming expansion zones are entirely built on the tech they created for the Zaralek Caverns got layered zones between the surface and underground without loading.
Sure, and they have been doing an excelent job, but I can't just shake the feeling that we "don't live in Azeroth anymore", just on the "new 4 zones". It's just a bit sad to see the rest of Azeroth and imagining the possibilities. Make the world actually evolve a bit, I don't know. Just a wishlist.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
It would make more sense for them to invest more in Classic + current WoW at the same time than make a WoW 2. Or invest in new IPs to grow the brand like Riot is doing

Oct 25, 2017
WOW reinvents itself from time to time, so there really is no need for a WOW2. And in the show they said they plan for WOW to go beyond the trilogy so this certainly isn't news. I don't think people believe them when they say another 20 years, but I kinda do. Obviously anything can happen in the next 6-10-15 years.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Too bad. I've been looking forward to a fresh start for WoW for some time now because I don't really want to trudge into the game as it currently stands. Until that happens it will continue to not be for me... But that's fine, not everything needs to be!

OP
OP
Magister Xehanort
Sep 5, 2021
I don't understand anyone who thinks they will kill WOW and release WOW2. If Everquest is still releasing new expansions almost annually, WOW is still profitable to continue.

gilko79

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'm glad Metzen's back on Warcraft and excited for more information on the Worldsoul Saga.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a difficult task when the Azeroth Egg cracks and the titan yeets off into space

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
There's also EQ2 which gets expansions also (but it was never as popular as EQ)

Which is exactly why they didn't kill EQ 1, EQ 2 just didn't appeal to the people like the 1st one did for some reason, it also didn't help that it launched a few weeks before WoW because I think most people had already decided what they were doing at that point.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
After spending a bit of time in classic, current WoW already is WoW 2. Say what you want about the content, but there is a huge generational leap between character models, environments, lighting, animations, ect.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Metzen kept me afloat, and that's enough for me

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have no desire for a WoW 2 so keep this one going baby! No reason to make a new game when they can continue to update this one, in fact the game now is so different than vanilla WoW, it's basically already a different game anyway.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest - I would love to see a Warcraft 4 + expansion and for a genuine WOW 2 (new NPC's/ lore/ all new systems etc.) to build upon said frame work, but alas, here we are.

Even Dragonflight, for how good (just good) and streamlined the expansion is, the content is lacking, the story is lame, and the systems are mostly the same thing, and from what they showed the next expansion isn't some big break from said framework either, outside of story, perhaps.

Good luck to all involved, hope this trilogy isn't content light, has a much better story, and has more/ newer systems than what we have now.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
After spending a bit of time in classic, current WoW already is WoW 2. Say what you want about the content, but there is a huge generational leap between character models, environments, lighting, animations, ect.

Just a bit

FZSIWS9.jpg

Review-World-of-Warcraft-Dragonflight.jpg

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They're gonna kill off Magni, Thrall and Anduin and bring back the character everyone really loves... Sylvanas.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
People have spent way too much time on their characters and collected way too much stuff over the years for blizzard to just dump WoW and do WoW2.

As long as people play it they will do xpacs for WoW.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
She'll come back to help defeat her evil sister. Then she'll become the de facto leader of the horde and alliance.

Seriously if half of that dumbass writing comes true I'll take a month ban

remember when this was the common theory going into BfA lol

qLQH5z8OlcSapjq1OXXRfl0LuE7GAbywAheS8Zxb4-8.png

I still get a hearty guffaw at "Ow! My bone!"