Mar 10, 2018
The Last Jedi

Real answer: Unless the internet somehow burns down and all digital records, social media, etc. totally vanish, I think everyone will be remembered. We are the first generation of humanity really to grow up with the internet. Our great great great grandchildren will have easy access to everything about us.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean 2000 years is a LONG time from now. Most of the big names from today will be completely forgotten by everyone except historians.

I would think that Thomas Edison would probably be on the list. Einstein. Oppenheimer. Probably Hitler for the same reasons people remember Caligula today. Only American politician I could imagine would even be in consideration of remembrance would be Lincoln.

edit: also Armstrong and Gegarin

How could you forget Laika the space dog?!

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Real answer: Unless the internet somehow burns down and all digital records, social media, etc. totally vanish, I think everyone will be remembered. We are the first generation of humanity really to grow up with the internet. Our great great great grandchildren will have easy access to everything about us.
Remembering and having access to are different things though. There's a ton of information on the internet that wouldn't classified as universally known.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean 2000 years is a LONG time from now. Most of the big names from today will be completely forgotten by everyone except historians.

I would think that Thomas Edison would probably be on the list. Einstein. Oppenheimer. Probably Hitler for the same reasons people remember Caligula today. Only American politician I could imagine would even be in consideration of remembrance would be Lincoln.

edit: also Armstrong and Gegarin
The US will definitely be remembered, so Washington will almost definitely be remembered.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
lana del rey will rightfully be remembered as the greatest american songwriter and her works will be taught in classics departments across the solar system, the greek playwrites are shaking

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Congrats. I am sure you are great at Game shows but most people don't know who Karl Benz is. Ford, more so. But no way Benz

The world is bigger than the US.
Carl Benz has a stadium named after him and a couple of monuments and busts in Germany.
BTW, like 25% of all rap songs feature his name. Mercedes Benz and the iconic star are also more famous the than the Ford symbol.

Oct 29, 2017
There can also be a curve-ball like Tutankhamen. Someone forgotten for centuries that suddenly comes to worldwide fame with a perfect mix of visual iconography, mystique, and news coverage.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
The world is bigger than the US.
Carl Benz has a stadium named after him and a couple of monuments and busts in Germany.
BTW, like 25% of all rap songs feature his name. Mercedes Benz and the iconic star are also more famous the than the Ford symbol.
Not from the US. Not everyone is from Germany either.

Mar 10, 2018
Remembering and having access to are different things though. There's a ton of information on the internet that wouldn't classified as universally known.
Fair enough.

By these standards, No one really stands a chance unless they become a religious figure. I doubt any human will ever again have a chance of pervading the collective human consciousness as universally as the likes of Jesus of Nazareth, Siddartha Gautama, the Prophet Muhammad, etc.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
George Lucas.
Because if humanity makes it to 4020, the one thing that's guaranteed is that we'll be still discussing TLJ

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
2000 years quite a number, can we even name someone famous from 2000 years ago?

Oct 29, 2017
There is also fame by association.

Like no one really remembers Marcus Antonius and Brutus by themselves, they Remember Cleopatra and Julius Caesar, but they totally count.

So maybe some of the people that are close to Hitler like Eva Braun, Himmler, and Goebbels.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think there's a chance in a post-internet world that history could be forgotten?
Forgotten? Mmm, perhaps rewritten. How many wars have been fought in the past 2000 years where the history of the defeated nation or whatever was rewritten or altered in some ways? Probably more than most would want to admit. If the right/wrong people control the flow of information at that time in 2000 years, who knows how they will shape history?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what stupid takes I had then, but I'm hoping I thought that Obama was a longshot to be widely remembered in 2000 years.

Hitler is still a top candidate, in the same way that we remember Nero even if you forget/don't know the specifics. Some people persevere throughout history because the narrative is easy to spell with them.

Mahatma Ghandi is a candidate, if you have to take a guess given the size of the Indian diaspora and if you're placing bets on which current nation-state exist today, betting on India existing in 2000 years is as good a guess as any other.

What's important to remember, though, is how people's collective memory of a person changes throughout history. The mentions of Elon Musk are a good example, but not so much of Elon being remembered (he won't be) but... Elon's company is named after Nichola Tesla, a guy who if you asked if he was going to be some widely remembered inventor in, say, 1920 -- one hundred years ago -- most people would have said no. Sure, he was a known person for people who really followed the invention of alternating current or the race between Westinghouse and Edison, but the Tesla name is more well known today ... He's been resuscitated a bit in the last 20 years through popular re imagination (Nichola Tesla himself was a bit ... mad ... in his old age, claiming to have invented a death ray that would end all wars [this in the interbellum period between WW1 and WW2 would have been handy to the millions who would die...] and a device that could level the Empire State Building, and other pretty wild claims), Edison's is seen more critically than he was 100 years ago, and while Westinghouse has all but been forgotten today by most average people (weirdly, I grew up with a Westinghouse TV, a brand I'd eventually associate with being a cheap store brand), the name Tesla is most well known because of Elon Musks' company... a company that has nothing to do with Nichola Tesla.

So I think it's really tough to take someone like Steve Jobs and say "This guy will be remembered!" Who knows, maybe Jobs will be remembered not for Apple Computer, the iPhone, or Pixar, but maybe he'll be remembered because some eccentric billionaire will found a company in 2120 called "Jobs" and they'll make nuclear-powered sex robots.

Mind you, also, that a lot of the people we remember today from 2000 years ago, notably Jesus, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, not all of them were very well known to their contemporaries or immediate contemporaries. Jesus is much more ubiquitous today than in the first 200 years after his death; Most of what we popularly "know" about Julius Caesar was constructed by William Shakespeare and today the person of Julius Caesar and the character of Julius Caesar are so intertwined that it's difficult to separate them. So, who knows, maybe someone in 1500 years after Obama's life creates the equivalent of Shakespeares' Julius Caesar about Obama, and the understanding of Obama in 4020 is influenced more by that artist's reappropriation of him as a theatrical character than the actual historical figure himself.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what stupid takes I had then, but I'm hoping I thought that Obama was a longshot to be widely remembered.

Hitler is still a top candidate, in the same way that we remember Nero even if you forget/don't know the specifics. Some people persevere throughout history because the narrative is easy to spell with them. Mahatma Ghandi is a candidate, if you have to take a guess given the size of the Indian diaspora and if you're placing bets on which current nation-state exist today, betting on India existing in 2000 years is as good a guess as any other.

What's important to remember, though, is how people's collective memory of a person changes throughout history. The mentions of Elon Musk are a good example, but not so much of Elon being remembered (he won't be) but... Elon's company is named after Nichola Tesla, a guy who if you asked if he was going to be some widely remembered inventor in, say, 1920 -- one hundred years ago -- most people would have said no. Sure, he was a known person for people who really followed the invention of alternating current or the race between Westinghouse and Edison, but the Tesla name is more well known today ... He's been resuscitated a bit in the last 20 years through popular re imagination (Nichola Tesla himself was a bit ... mad ... in his old age, claiming to have invented a death ray that would end all wars [this in the interbellum period between WW1 and WW2 would have been handy to the millions who would die...] and a device that could level the Empire State Building, and other pretty wild claims), Edison's is seen more critically than he was 100 years ago, and while Westinghouse has all but been forgotten today by most average people (weirdly, I grew up with a Westinghouse TV, a brand I'd eventually associate with being a cheap store brand), the name Tesla is most well known because of Elon Musks' company... a company that has nothing to do with Nichola Tesla.

So I think it's really tough to take someone like Steve Jobs and say "This guy will be remembered!" Who knows, maybe Jobs will be remembered not for Apple Computer, the iPhone, or Pixar, but maybe he'll be remembered because some eccentric billionaire will found a company in 2120 called "Jobs" and they'll make nuclear-powered sex robots.

I think Obama gets remembered if a compilation of US Presidents gets enshrined. We remember the Roman Emperors in order, and Shakespeare helped to reinvigorate their memory a millennia and a half after the fact. But I sense our time will be remembered as a tragedy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think Obama gets remembered if a compilation of US Presidents gets enshrined. We remember the Roman Emperors in order, and Shakespeare helped to reinvigorate their memory a millennia and a half after the fact. But I sense our time will be remembered as a tragedy.

Yeah, true, what's funny is I was expanding my post with an edit re: Shakespeare + Caesar as you were replying :D

Completely agreed.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady

Even if better players come along, I would expect them to be eternal parts of sports history.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I hate to say it but Trump? I mean I hope not, but I feel like he is overseeing the pinnacle of the race to the bottom at the inflexion point of the climate crisis, and the people responsible for that will not be forgotten by future generations. Trump is like the poster boy for everything wrong that lead to the climate problem in the first place and the fact that even in an age where we have all the evidence we need, absolutely fuck all is being done to fix the problems. Trump is the prime example of our modern day fucked up world.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, true, what's funny is I was expanding my post with an edit re: Shakespeare + Caesar as you were replying :D

Completely agreed.

Also I've been thinking of this as just written works - but if digital formats survive, I could foresee Obama getting an even larger role in history through the efforts of Pete Souza's documenting of the presidency through photographs.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watch it be some piece of art surviving for thousands of years by a fluke, and that's the only thing from this period that they find, so the artist becomes automatically famous forever, like Homer.

Kids will learn in school about the legendary artist, Kenan Thompson, and his ancient form of story-telling called the sketch comedy show.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mars Reds playing the Luna Rockets in the 4020 Superbowl for the Belichick Trophy will be a good game for sure.

Wonder who will win the Tom Brady MVP Award

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Trump for ushering in the downfall of a very young republic called the United States of America.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the two world wars and the computer revolution will be the most remembered things in history from what is loosely "our" time period. Which means probably Hitler. Hawking might get in there too. But by then the average joe might not even be able to name Hitler from memory, it'll just be a few paragraphs in their 5th grade history book. Maybe common knowledge with more studious types, but you'd get dumbfounded looks from teenagers on the street.

By the year 4020 the average joe will believe that the electric calculator and light bulb were both invented in the year 2000 and believe that 1984 looked almost indistinguishable from 1784. Just a bunch of near-savages that have barely figured out how to communicate in ways that aren't by trained animal. They'll think that top hats went out of fashion about the same time the internet took off. It'll all blur together with the year 2000 standing as a vague landmark in peoples minds of when people started crawling out of their mud huts and deciding not to use leeches to solve every problem. Simply because 2000 is an easy close-enough number.
History will still know better and classes will make kids memorize a few important dates and country names but in the day to day consciousness it'll all run together. A bunch of savages had a couple world wars and then figured out how to send nudes electronically.

Which will of course be inaccurate, but in a sense won't be too far from the truth either in the grand scheme of things. Very wrong to someone living in 2020, but close enough to someone living 2000 years removed from it all.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Religious figures: Christ, Mohammed, Buddha
Scientists/Mathematicians: Einstein, Newton, Pythagoras, Euclid, Hawkins

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Nobody will be universally remembered in thousands of years. People will be in history books but in thousands of years a regular person on the street isn't going to know who Hitler or Einstein are. I would venture that the average person right now probably doesn't even know who Julius Caesar is. With someone like Jesus, it was historical conditions surrounding how media and religion were disseminated that enabled him being a known person for so long. As media has radically changed, so to will it be much less likely that any one individual will stay in public consciousness or awareness for very long.

At some point in time, even Jesus will be forgotten to all (or most) but historic records.