THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
After a quick session with the pro controller on my TV, that is definitely the way to play the game. Note comprehension and overall controller wrangling is way easier. I'm able to get much better scores and pass songs on Supreme.

davitxi

Jan 17, 2019
I'm debating if I want to use the handful of permanent stat increase items on someone to see if I can manage to clear that Odin quest >_>

Like others I was able to just barely kill the Scorpion for that quest, but Odin and the other quest for killing 9 enemies in one song seem actually impossible with our standard level 30 limitations unless someone figures out a strat or something. I've got a summon that has +30% item drops and summon drops, I guess I'll run that for a while with Team Luck (aka Yuffie/Thancred/Prompto/Gladious) to see if I can gauge how rare the stat up items are and if I want to burn them now or just hold out until the full game releases. I've got 3-5 of all of them currently. I do also have a Ruin skill book which maybe is super good, but it doesn't give the actual description of what Ruin does in this game on the book itself (just that you can use it to teach someone Ruin) and no characters have it as far as I can tell in the demo so no clue if it's good enough to make a difference here. IIRC Ruin was pretty good in Curtain Call?

I think Lightning has access to Ruin. I don't remember the details, but it didn't seem super strong. It has no element, and it seems in this game elemental attacks are going to be important

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond timing you mean? Because I'm going to go with yellow crit is perfect within one window and rainbow is crit within an even tighter window.

I figured that could be it, but I still find it weird that they call it the same. They also count the same towards the score, so it's weird to make that differentiation.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
About to make the jump to expert. Gonna get my ass kicked. You people that can do the highest difficulty are Gods.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I figured that could be it, but I still find it weird that they call it the same. They also count the same towards the score, so it's weird to make that differentiation.

Oh I didn't notice that it was the same values.

Also protip!

In Settings -> MS Settings -> Trigger Speed, you can adjust the scroll speed of notes. Setting it to 1.5-2.0 has made a huge difference.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the patterns in this game are fucked up. I still haven't managed to beat all the demo songs on Ultimate, although I got The Chase on Supreme lol. That's my favorite track to play in the demo. Just feels good.

Apr 19, 2018
Did anyone managed to figure out what's the difference between the yellow critical and the rainbow critical?

Beyond timing you mean? Because I'm going to go with yellow crit is perfect within one window and rainbow is crit within an even tighter window.

Rainbow Crits actually do score a little higher, roughly 14% more per note over a regular Crit. In essence, you need to nail all Rainbow Crits in order to attain the maximum 9,999,999 score rank.

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I really love this game so far. And I'm terrible at it because I've got no sense of rhythm. (As in, even in junior high band, the teacher asked me not to play during concerts because I was always off-beat.) It's all sight reading for me, so to speak. Glad there's a demo because the full title would punish me.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Crits actually do score a little higher, roughly 14% more per note over a regular Crit. In essence, you need to nail all Rainbow Crits in order to attain the maximum 9,999,999 score rank.
Oh, ok, that makes sense! I thought they scored the same because they both count as "critical" in the results screen count.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting list. 33 new songs compared to previous games? Okay. But three season passes in the space of like six months? Wat
Much more than that. The website is listing the completely new songs compared to the latest Theatrythm entry which was never released in the west, because it's an arcade-only game: All Star Carnival.

So, the latest game we were actually able to play was Curtain Call on the 3DS, with 221 songs (+100 through DLC).
Compare to Final Bar Line, which has 385 tracks right off the bat (and roughly +120 DLC tracks).

In essence, Final Bar Line is a port of All Star Carnival for consoles.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Found a discussion on reddit. Someone used an emulator called Teknoparrot and they got All Star Carnival running on the Steam Deck in a permanent adventure mode with an English patch. Obviously this is a no-go legal wise unless you actually own an All-Star Carnival cabinet.

Also I don't know how it would properly translate the arcades touch style control panel to the Steam Deck input options. The fact this is possible though fascinates me.
DbHkwk8dWvhyESSiMYXEN6PUvVbf-Tidg8R_4efWNIM.jpg

Me personally? I'm content with the demo until I get my hands on the full game. I also been revisiting Curtain Call on my 2DS XL. I recently bought the Digital copy of Theatrhythm and all of it's DLC before they shut down the 3DS download servers.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Found a discussion on reddit. Someone used an emulator called Teknoparrot and they got All Star Carnival running on the Steam Deck in a permanent adventure mode with an English patch. Obviously this is a no-go legal wise unless you actually own an All-Star Carnival cabinet.

Also I don't know how it would properly translate the arcades touch style control panel to the Steam Deck input options. The fact this is possible though fascinates me.

Me personally? I'm content with the demo until I get my hands on the full game. I also been revisiting Curtain Call on my 2DS XL. I recently bought the Digital copy of Theatrhythm and all of it's DLC before they shut down the 3DS download servers.
eyyy fellow ASC Steam Deck user!! Playing ASC on the deck really makes me wish FBL was on PC 😭

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know what the timing windows are for each judgment? Always curious how it compares to other games.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Those wavy field BGM lines sure went from easy peasey with the stylus to "I can't tell where my marker is!" with the stick, otherwise I've adapted to button controls well enough.

Hard to consider picking this up Day 1 though when the game and its boatload of DLC will probably be 50% off before the years end, after all I already have Curtain Call covering a lot of what's here.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed the game to an extent but also have reservations. I love the concept. But I think it's perhaps a little frustrating with those green waves/holding down those multiple connected green lines. Maybe some accessibility to turn those off would help. Also the screen gets busy when a summon comes in. Unfortunately my reactions these days aren't as good as they used to be so anything beyond the easiest difficulty is out the realms of my skills.

However I'd love to pick it up later on at a good price as there's a lot of content seemingly and there's a lot of great, memorable FF music.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Are we all in agreement that The Rebel Army from FFII is kind of a stinker? Especially at lower difficulties. It's a 30 second loop that just keeps repeating.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Are we all in agreement that The Rebel Army from FFII is kind of a stinker? Especially at lower difficulties. It's a 30 second loop that just keeps repeating.

I love the song but the short loop kills it. I kind of wish they just went with the pixel remake versions since the track is changed up for the second loop.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I thought the demo was supposed to have 30 tracks? I've cleared all of the ones in the series questlines and it says 28 tracks cleared. Are there two tracks hidden somewhere?

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
It's a bit of a bummer that they went with the original versions of those songs when most of the several different remasters would work way better in a rhythm game but it is what it is. :/

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Pretty much. I really wish they had used the Pixel Remaster versions of the music for Final Bar Line, as those arrangements are often gorgeous. The beeps and boops of the NES start to really grate after a while. Especially, as you mentioned, for the songs which loop several times to fill out a decent track length.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. I really wish they had used the Pixel Remaster versions of the music for Final Bar Line, as those arrangements are often gorgeous. The beeps and boops of the NES start to really grate after a while. Especially, as you mentioned, for the songs which loop several times to fill out a decent track length.
In the demo only FFII suffers from this though imo. And I imagine probably FFI in the full game. FFV has short loops for both its battle themes but they're still incredibly fun to play and also just plain amazing on their own. FFV's soundtrack is so good. I can't wait to play that eventually.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017

The arcade controls are basically the same as FBL. Just pretend you're reduced down to your two thumbsticks and one button on each side and that's basically the arcade controls.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, FF2 songs aren't really the best. FF3 has a few more interesting tracks, and FF1 is... well, FF1, but it does have a few nice tracks, such as Matoya's cave (really wish they added the FFXIV version, to be honest - though, let's face it, they could almost make a Theatrythm solely with FFXIV's OST).
FF1 to FF3, overall, have really short tracks, so the looping is inevitable.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I plan on demolishing FF1-FF3 tracks ASAP so i'll be able to act like they don't exist.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I plan on demolishing FF1-FF3 tracks ASAP so i'll be able to act like they don't exist.
Inb4 they show up constantly in Endless Quest / Random mode... D:

I'd rather focus on songs I actually like here. I guess I'll alternate between unlocking quests from games I like, and games I feel "meh" about.

Apr 19, 2018
Sadly, FF2 songs aren't really the best. FF3 has a few more interesting tracks, and FF1 is... well, FF1, but it does have a few nice tracks, such as Matoya's cave (really wish they added the FFXIV version, to be honest - though, let's face it, they could almost make a Theatrythm solely with FFXIV's OST).

There's a Theatrhythm-specific arrangement of Matoya (originally featured in All-Star Carnival) that's a lot of fun to look forward to:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pSavY7rTI

Most of TFFAC's happy hardcore arrangements are great additions to the song roster, in fact. :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, summons-wise. Am I crazy or do different summons have different charge gauges AND different damage distributions? It feels like Knights of the Round requires way more successful note hits to charge up to full, and Alexander's attack animation seems to hit for way longer than most of the others.

What are we thinking of how the summons work?

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
So, summons-wise. Am I crazy or do different summons have different charge gauges AND different damage distributions? It feels like Knights of the Round requires way more successful note hits to charge up to full, and Alexander's attack animation seems to hit for way longer than most of the others.

What are we thinking of how the summons work?
You aren't crazy I tested this the other night, Knight of the Round do a LOT of damage but take *so* long to charge that even if you perfect a song if the song's length is short you might never see it. There seem to be abilities that boost the rate that summons charge, I know Alphinaud has one for example, and if this is like Curtain Call you will be able to get skill scrolls to transfer skills between characters.

I'm fairly sure you can in fact because a few of the skills go out of their way to say that they can only be used on a certain character but others do not, so I'm assuming anyone can get any skill except for character exclusive specials like Noctis' Armiger

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe we are talking shit of the legendary NES soundtracks.
Let it go man. It's NES tunes! Music has evolved since then! Let that poor sacred cow die!

That being said, the first one who dares to talk shit about "The Moon Theme" from Ducktales will be hacked to pieces.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
It's being made with the intention of being the last. Granted the devs also felt the same when making Curtain Call.
Yeah I'm kinda hoping it does extra well so they rethink it, I feel like a game like this could at least get longterm support. Though I know I'm being a bit greedy when the amount of songs is already this big