Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'd like to see what kind of feedback was asked for, and what was given in response. Ultimately, it's up to a higher up to make the decisions and I think they dropped the ball here.
Yeah, the questions asked are also immensely important. There's so much that can go wrong with giving and receiving feedback, it really really doesn't have to be malicious in intent. There's a reason good consultants and trainers are worth every cent. Because they know both which questions and answers are helpful for a project.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching a bit played by Nextlander. Surprised and annoyed at the amount of chinese characters that pop up in the UI.

Most of them are whatever if even I'm not thrilled (like XP showing as "经历" instead of "经验" which is actually use for xp points in chinese games. The former is "an memorable experience" vs the latter "a good amount of experience in fighting", but that's minor) However, "adding "坠" on the UI at death is google translate level of error, like is the game just trying to look cool like Sekiro? It does mean "fall", but as far as I've ever encountered, never meant for knocked down by combat or death (has to fall some distance to be applicable)
This seems more of an issue with translation notes. I'm assuming they didn't literally use Google Translate to handle those...I hope

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
This seems more of an issue with translation notes. I'm assuming they didn't literally use Google Translate to handle those...I hope
I'm not accusing them of literally using google translate, but I'm assuming they didn't check with someone that actually reads Chinese in actual game context (dying).
It's weird, they didn't use the characters for literal death, like 死 亡 卒
And for fall/fallen 陨 can be used for death, but not 坠

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna take on a project like this, you need to make sure you're authentic to the culture in question. And while the Verge article mentions that there were Chinese consultants, the devs clearly didn't listen. Hiring Chinese developers for the project would've gone a long way in helping catch these issues early on.

As for your statement about there being no malice, that doesn't mean that these issues shouldn't be called. Ignorance may not be as bad a malice, but it's still bad. I should know, I discussed similar ignorance regarding anti-Blackness in Smash a while back.

Exactly. Consultants can only help so much if the creatives and the people actually in charge of the project are all, or mainly, white folks. "We got a consultant!" shouldn't be the standard for this kind of stuff.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree, but I do think there should be a difference in the severity of the tone. This is deserving of constructive feedback imo, not hate or like I said the outrage a title like "sifu is a soulless caricature" implies. To me it isn't really fair to an indie studio ....although they could've done a better job, feel like they clearly tried their best to represent a culture they feel they are big fans of and FOR ME I don't think it is offensive enough to literally boycott the game even if I hope they hold more weight into details as they grow. Just dunno who playing this game right now could possibly call it soulless :l just isn't
The author makes it clear that there are different discussions that one can have. If one is seeking discussions about the merits and successes of the gameplay mechanics, they refer them to seek out the many many content creators and writers that are effusive about it. The conversation that not enough people are having, is about the portrayal and perceived appropriation of a culture for set dressing. This is the caricature the article is referring to, and it is this that the author describes as "soulless," not the gameplay. Let's not strawman here. Apologies for my tone if it seems exasperated, but your comment reads like someone who isn't valuing the frustration of others who are sick and fucking tired of this. There will be plenty of praise to go around for this studio, but there is definitely justified outrage.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Exactly. Consultants can only help so much if the creatives and the people actually in charge of the project are all, or mainly, white folks. "We got a consultant!" shouldn't be the standard for this kind of stuff.
That plus diversifying your development staff is never a bad thing in general, especially given who white-dominated their team currently is.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to see however they did Gameover, and it's "结束". That's bad. That's more appropriate for logging out of a program rather than end of a journey/story. Now I actively dislike the game and the devs. Clearly it's just there to look cool and not make sense, as anyone actively reading it just has a worse time.

Some of the Chinese characters in the environment are also bad

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not accusing them of literally using google translate, but I'm assuming they didn't check with someone that actually reads Chinese in actual game context (dying).
It's weird, they didn't use the characters for literal death, like 死 亡 卒
And for fall/fallen 陨 can be used for death, but not 坠
That's a bit strange. I don't know if you'd even be able to make a mistake like that if you really did just use Google Translate. (Unless words were given to someone to translate without any context.)

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's a bit strange. I don't know if you'd even be able to make a mistake like that if you really did just use Google Translate. (Unless words were given to someone to translate without any context.)

They probably use Google translate or some other means of auto translation.

Translating Game Over using Google translate got me "游戏结束" lol

This is bad.

100% agree, but I do think there should be a difference in the severity of the tone. This is deserving of constructive feedback imo, not hate or like I said the outrage a title like "sifu is a soulless caricature" implies. To me it isn't really fair to an indie studio ....although they could've done a better job, feel like they clearly tried their best to represent a culture they feel they are big fans of and FOR ME I don't think it is offensive enough to literally boycott the game even if I hope they hold more weight into details as they grow. Just dunno who playing this game right now could possibly call it soulless :l just isn't

If you read the article you would know that the tone is not one of outrage nor did she not enjoy her time with the game. She just wants to talk about how the developers have made mistakes when it comes to translating the Chinese elements into the game. Nobody is saying that anyone should boycott the game.

I would agree with you if she just tweeted "Bad game, do not buy!" but she wrote an paragraphs about what she felt are shortcomings. Criticism like this helps future developments know what to look out for.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna repost something I quoted before:

To do that, Sloclap engaged others of Asian descent, including Anlu Liu of Kowloon Nights, a video game investment fund, and Richie Zhu of Kepler Interactive, Sloclap's publishing partner. "Throughout the entire development of Sifu, we have constantly played builds and provided feedback," Liu told The Verge.

Both consulted on a number of issues related to gameplay and cultural elements, like correcting the order of characters on the coin talisman that holds your resurrection power. For the game's pending Chinese localization, they helped select the Chinese voice actors and sat in on recording sessions to ensure the dialogue was representative of how Chinese people speak to each other. Liu and Zhu were also responsible for connecting Sloclap with consultants in China who provided feedback on everything down to the smallest detail.

So, they got consultants, but this quote seems like it was mainly for the Chinese localization? I imagine consulting "on a number of issues related to gameplay and cultural elements" also meant that feedback from this would be used for the Western release as well, right? Or at least someone would have said "Hey this Google tranlated phrase is super weird, how about using X instead?" I wonder if the Chinese localization is different enough that the words for "death" and "Game Over" had the proper words used in the UI or elsewhere.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be that they used google translate or a similar app, and chose from the list their favorite entry visually/aesthetically. 坠 seems a little easier on the eyes than 陨 and 死 is probably overused (if that's possible). If you use "experience" as your search term, you might receive a list like this:
mdbg.jpg
Without knowing the difference and not consulting with a native speaker, I can see how a developer might just think them interchangeable and pick one over the other for arbitrary reasons.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this, I'll read the articles mentioned as well. Something about this title, the way it was presented, always put me off and now with this information, I'm...just tired. I don't know what else to say when this kind of development and these bonehead decisions keep getting made.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"return to your wuguan" has some very big "nakama is untranslatable" energy
Honestly I'm not sure I see the difference compared with say using the word dojo to refer to a japanese martial arts training hall/school. Unless these people picked the wrong word for the kung fu equivalent.

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for posting this OP as my initial post in the OT got overwhelmed by posts from people playing the game which is fair enough.

Personally this still doesn't sit right with me so I will not be buying it but all power to people that do. I'm quite tired of white people taking our culture, condensing all of it and telling us they've done the homework. This is like white people cooking Asian food and putting out a dish called gochujang karaage in a bao. Fuck off with that shit.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
The dumb part is that if they treated the cultural elements with more respect they probably would have been praised. This issue seems so avoidable. People of other cultures do homages to foreign cinema all the time. The difference is they treat the homage as the centerpiece of the work and not some kind of thin backdrop.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
This does not feel right. How can they make a Chinese culture game with only one Asian person on the team...lol

I am also tired of white ppl telling me what or how I should feel about comments toward my culture: "oh you should feel offended by these things" - no, most of the time I don't give a damn. This game is more like a "You should feel respected by this Chinese culture game that we white people made."

Forgive me language, but F off.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your issue with the language seems like a tone policing diversion from all the good examination about the cultural elements that the writer went into with examples and explanations of how they're used in the culture, with plenty of reasoning why they thought it came off as soulless. It seems you and another poster are strawmanning the article by saying they're implying the developers are malicious or asking for boycotts when that is straight up lying. I don't know why you emphasise "FOR ME"? Isn't it obvious it's your opinion? Also, Sloclap is a studio with martial arts in mind from the beginning. They've had martial arts folks as involved since Absolver. That's why a lot of people got interested in their first game because they had real martial artists providing knowledge about the movesets and philosophy. So considering martial arts is not a part of white culture, they could have hired people from the background of it. Imagine as an empathic exercise if a developer made games cribbing from blaxploitation, Nordic culture, Native Americans, Hindu mythology, etc and didn't have people from the background in the team makeup. Consultants can only do so much. It inevitably leads to inaccuracies and inauthenticity because you're not living and breathing that culture if you're not raised in it. Hence why it can come off as "soulless", that it's just set dressing for exoticness or orientalism in this case.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm watching a bit played by Nextlander. Surprised and annoyed at the amount of chinese characters that pop up in the UI.

Most of them are whatever if even I'm not thrilled (like XP showing as "经历" instead of "经验" which is actually use for xp points in chinese games. The former is "an memorable experience" vs the latter "a good amount of experience in fighting", but that's minor) Even when most of them are not wrong, they aren't cohesive, like there's a way everything is said in a Western novel or Lord of the Rings, but here's they are just randomly chosen and not evocative of anything if one can actually read them.

However, "adding "坠" on the UI at death is google translate level of error, like is the game just trying to look cool like Sekiro? It does mean "fall", but as far as I've ever encountered, never meant for knocked down by combat or death (has to fall some distance to be applicable)

Edit: Actually I've changed my mind, I'll be a bit more severe. The game is just less enjoyable if you can read Chinese, instead of just going on the cultural tourism the devs want. The word "fire" is just pasted everywhere in the level with fire, lol. And the door before the boss has the same characters pasted on both sides - the nature of these are that they are supposed to be pairs, even kids know this! Also, lol at Game Over being very straightforward "end" 结束 (which should never be used at the end of a story/book/movie. maybe if you're logging out of windows...), way to go with the least poetic way of putting it. They could have paid me $10 me to clean up all their dumbass UI - that pops up all the time! - in an hour.
Thank you for further breaking the signage down, very insightful!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds

Most of them are whatever if even I'm not thrilled (like XP showing as "经历" instead of "经验" which is actually use for xp points in chinese games. The former is "an memorable experience" vs the latter "a good amount of experience in fighting", but that's minor) Even when most of them are not wrong, they aren't cohesive, like there's a way everything is said in a Western novel or Lord of the Rings, but here's they are just randomly chosen and not evocative of anything if one can actually read them.

However, "adding "坠" on the UI at death is google translate level of error, like is the game just trying to look cool like Sekiro? It does mean "fall", but as far as I've ever encountered, never meant for knocked down by combat or death (has to fall some distance to be applicable)

Edit: Actually I've changed my mind, I'll be a bit more severe. The game is just less enjoyable if you can read Chinese, instead of just going on the cultural tourism the devs want. The word "fire" is just pasted everywhere in the level with fire, lol. And the door before the boss has the same characters pasted on both sides - the nature of these are that they are supposed to be pairs, even kids know this! Also, lol at Game Over being very straightforward "end" 结束 (which should never be used at the end of a story/book/movie. maybe if you're logging out of windows...), way to go with the least poetic way of putting it. They could have paid me $10 me to clean up all their dumbass UI - that pops up all the time! - in an hour.
Thank you for this.

Article is a great read, the point brought up that they are using Chinese characters instead of the English equivalent for your base of operations in the game is definitely something I picked up on. It's egregious that the devs couldn't even hire a single native Chinese translator for the game.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure I see the difference compared with say using the word dojo to refer to a japanese martial arts training hall/school. Unless these people picked the wrong word for the kung fu equivalent.

the issue I have is basically the same as the one raised in the original article - the game itself doesn't present itself through chinese language, but it sprinkles in specific chinese words in order to seem exotic. wuguan is the correct word (one of the possible choices, anyway) but it's... something you can translate. your voice acting should never say "you've gotten slow, sifu". translate or don't. if you're calling your master sifu, you should be talking to him in chinese.

also, more broadly, the reason some japanese words don't have this same problem is because japanese culture is more familiar to western viewers. you don't necessarily have to translate "dojo" because it's practically a loan word in america. white kids in suburbia have been going to karate dojos for decades. not many of them have been to a wuguan.

my rule of thumb is basically: if you're translating something, and a word is not commonly used in the language you are translating for, you should translate it unless you have a very good reason not to. when you choose not to, it gets a side-eye from me. it's not just asian languages, either! it's weird when every shooter's single latina character speaks some perfect accented english and then just goes "cabron" at the end as well, for example.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Thanks for sharing. This shit keeps happening all the time. White devs keep falling into this trap of not actually doing the work and boiling shit down to weird pastiches that anyone with insight just ends up feeling alienated by.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
So they just assigned you to a task you weren't prepared for at all just because you were the only person around who kinda knew what proper Arabic looks like? Damn, that's awful.

Pretty much. I was one of the newer people there who was not an intern so I was stuck with it.

Also we had two translators that we worked with. Apparently they were horrible. As I could not read any arabic I just had to trust what I was given and put it into the game.
Then our consultant would come around and he'd be like "that grammar is horrible" "thats not how its spelled" "thats not how its used in that context"-
And its like- how am I- or anyone on our team aside from our consultant supposed to know? The translators could've sent over all curse words.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what a game developed by minorities about white people (without consulting any white people) would be like. I'm genuinely curious if anyone would notice anything.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

This all sounds terrible and a detriment to the experience if you belong to the culture the game tries to pay homage too, which just goes to show what a poor job they did on that front.

Nov 19, 2019
the issue I have is basically the same as the one raised in the original article - the game itself doesn't present itself through chinese language, but it sprinkles in specific chinese words in order to seem exotic. wuguan is the correct word (one of the possible choices, anyway) but it's... something you can translate. your voice acting should never say "you've gotten slow, sifu". translate or don't. if you're calling your master sifu, you should be talking to him in chinese.

also, more broadly, the reason some japanese words don't have this same problem is because japanese culture is more familiar to western viewers. you don't necessarily have to translate "dojo" because it's practically a loan word in america. white kids in suburbia have been going to karate dojos for decades. not many of them have been to a wuguan.

my rule of thumb is basically: if you're translating something, and a word is not commonly used in the language you are translating for, you should translate it unless you have a very good reason not to. when you choose not to, it gets a side-eye from me. it's not just asian languages, either! it's weird when every shooter's single latina character speaks some perfect accented english and then just goes "cabron" at the end as well, for example.
I thought more recent games have started to indicate the opposite? For example, Yakuza and Persona use terms like "aniki" and "senpai" even in the English dubs, as any direct translation sort of misses the core meaning. I don't think either of these terms really meet the "dojo" standard of loanword either, and this technique is a major improvement to early Yakuza where everyone was calling each other "big bro" all the time. To bring it back to this game, from reading this thread, "sifu" doesn't mean the English word "master" exactly, as no English speaker will refer to a taxi driver as "Master".

I think the criticism is healthy btw, and that Dingka Kadaba nailed it in his tweet.

Oct 7, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary and Tone Policing Over Multiple Posts; Prior Bans for Similar Behavior and Account in Junior Phase
Your issue with the language seems like a tone policing diversion from all the good examination about the cultural elements that the writer went into with examples and explanations of how they're used in the culture, with plenty of reasoning why they thought it came off as soulless. It seems you and another poster are strawmanning the article by saying they're implying the developers are malicious or asking for boycotts when that is straight up lying. I don't know why you emphasise "FOR ME"? Isn't it obvious it's your opinion? Also, Sloclap is a studio with martial arts in mind from the beginning. They've had martial arts folks as involved since Absolver. That's why a lot of people got interested in their first game because they had real martial artists providing knowledge about the movesets and philosophy. So considering martial arts is not a part of white culture, they could have hired people from the background of it. Imagine as an empathic exercise if a developer made games cribbing from blaxploitation, Nordic culture, Native Americans, Hindu mythology, etc and didn't have people from the background in the team makeup. Consultants can only do so much. It inevitably leads to inaccuracies and inauthenticity because you're not living and breathing that culture if you're not raised in it. Hence why it can come off as "soulless", that it's just set dressing for exoticness or orientalism in this case.
If people want to have a harsh tone they are free to, but for the reasons I stated it really isn't deserved imo, and the title of the article linked in the OP itself is really unnecessarily harsh. If you want to make my post more about that then go ahead. That is me expressing my opinion on the article title. This talk on details in the article, great, I hope sloclap is taking notes,but a lot of them are non-issues/actually not that weird according to a Chinese poster in this thread, and imo it's clearly not a soulless game nor blatantly toxic in any way, not even close. They clearly needed, like, translator and it is a little embarassing for them....but at worse they clearly weren't as thorough as needed to be in the games cultural research which I'm more inclined to forgive given that it is an indie team, although it is obviously a blunder. I would agree that it is important for submersion, not because I think it is so horrible for a foreign team to not nail every single detail about a foreign culture that they clearly show no disrespect towards as to call it soulless though. The game has a lot of soul

francium87

Oct 27, 2017

On the topic of "XP" using the wrong characters, I found the localization in Chinese... And they do know the right words! Upperight corner, it's 经验值 (值 is number, so either just the first 2 or 3 together is acceptable) in the localization, and 经历|XP in the English version. So they knew what actual Chinese speakers want to see, but just didn't bother fixing it in other versions. More insulting to non-Chinese speaking fans, actually.

2202052229210_u292926.jpg

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

The top tweet is super funny because AC Unity was so fucking bad at portraying the French revolution.
It felt like they watched a movie about it and called it a day.
They did a lot of research on the buildings though, it looked lifelike and all that shit.
Too bad about everything else.
And this idiot is like "yeah but it was ok then", nah it was even more shit BECAUSE Ubisoft was the company behind it.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
It makes it even more miraculous that Ghost of Tsushima, while not flawless, handled the subject matter with as much care as it did

Sucker Punch visited Tsushima and did a tonne of research, speaking with historians and locals on the actual island. They also got a lot of help from Sony Japan Studio. It wasn't a lone project and outside of a handful of small discrepancies, was well received by Japanese reviewers.

I would have been surprised if such a collaboration ended up making a sub-par game.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna skip over the part where you use "minorities" like a social studies teacher pushing 60

Have you ever played Metal Gear Solid?
Considering the fact that "minorities" is still an acceptable term, you can do whatever you like. I am one. And no. I haven't played any Metal Gear games and I'm ok with that.

Apr 2, 2021
In between bouts of Sifu's ferocious brawling, there's a scene I can't help but keep thinking about: a particular graffiti that was hastily drawn on a wall, presumably by a local drug dealer. It's a Chinese phrase that says "一手交钱, 一手交货" which, when loosely translated, means "give me the money and I'll give you the goods". But next to it is an inexplicable decision to also include an English translation of that very phrase, "No money no goods", as if the drug peddler has the foresight to consider entertaining English-speaking or international junkies who may just be dropping by the local illegal pharmacy to pick up some good ol' fashioned drugs. I mean, good thinking, buddy.

What's so wrong with this? There are english speaking people who buy drugs in foreign countries sometimes, and theres some regions in certain countries that might even have a lot of english speaking people going through. The only stupid part of this is that it's written on a wall. Does he not think a drug dealer (an international trade) would be somewhat cosmopolitan?

weird, not even correct nitpick aside, I'm sure theres an argument to made. Making a game about China without a Chinese person being consulted reflects a huge lack of care and extra scrutiny is deserved. Doesn't mean the game sucks and should be banned but maybe Sifu 2 can learn from this and be better.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021
The author makes it clear that there are different discussions that one can have. If one is seeking discussions about the merits and successes of the gameplay mechanics, they refer them to seek out the many many content creators and writers that are effusive about it. The conversation that not enough people are having, is about the portrayal and perceived appropriation of a culture for set dressing. This is the caricature the article is referring to, and it is this that the author describes as "soulless," not the gameplay. Let's not strawman here. Apologies for my tone if it seems exasperated, but your comment reads like someone who isn't valuing the frustration of others who are sick and fucking tired of this. There will be plenty of praise to go around for this studio, but there is definitely justified outrage.
I wasn't tryna strawman, I still don't think it is soulless even in it's portrayal. Think it's a good discussion to have to show peoples desire for things like more thorough cultural research during development but to me, there's nothing really disrespectful there that should make anyone angry disappointed sure, but it's an indie studio w the limitations that comes w that. They are clearly more in tune with hong kong action flicks then they are the culture of China itself, but there is still soul that I think is on clear display even with little touches like the Old Boy hallway scene reference near the start of the game

EDIT: just deleted it to keep to my main point, and it was poorly thought out

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What's so wrong with this? There are english speaking people who buy drugs in foreign countries sometimes, and theres some regions in certain countries that might even have a lot of english speaking people going through. The only stupid part of this is that it's written on a wall. Does he not think a drug dealer (an international trade) would be somewhat cosmopolitan?

weird, not even correct nitpick aside, I'm sure theres an argument to made. Making a game about China without a Chinese person being consulted reflects a huge lack of care and extra scrutiny is deserved. Doesn't mean the game sucks and should be banned but maybe Sifu 2 can learn from this and be better.
Smart call editing out calling the writer stupid, that was a home run way to make your point

TheSpoonyBard

Mar 11, 2021
I wonder if they did use a translator (an actual person, not Google) but then failed to get things back translated with a different translator? It was an issue I ran into often in graphic design and back translation was the best way to ensure some form of quality. After all, you can have as many translators on a job as you'd like but language is complicated, nuance can be lost and knowing both Chinese and English doesn't automatically make you a good translator of either.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If people want to have a harsh tone they are free to, but for the reasons I stated it really isn't deserved imo, and the title of the article linked in the OP itself is really unnecessarily harsh. If you want to make my post more about that then go ahead. That is me expressing my opinion on the article title. This talk on details in the article, great, I hope sloclap is taking notes,but a lot of them are non-issues/actually not that weird according to a Chinese poster in this thread, and imo it's clearly not a soulless game nor blatantly toxic in any way, not even close. They clearly needed, like, translator and it is a little embarassing for them....but at worse they clearly weren't as thorough as needed to be in the games cultural research which I'm more inclined to forgive given that it is an indie team, although it is obviously a blunder. I would agree that it is important for submersion, not because I think it is so horrible for a foreign team to not nail every single detail about a foreign culture that they clearly show no disrespect towards as to call it soulless though. The game has a lot of soul

It's your own opinion that the game has a lot of soul. But that doesn't mean that a number of Chinese dispora may have issue with it and see it as a dressed up soulless game.

Reminds me of when visited China and saw European recreations of towns and buildings which were meant to be lived in. Everyone living there loved it, but me having grown up in Europe knew it was a tacky recreation with no soul. Sifu gives me those same vibes. Maybe to you it feels like an awesome game, but from my perspective, I have seen these tired ass tropes before and the lack of attention to these small details made me suspicious. The revelation that there were no Chinese people on the team just explains why it felt so off.

I mean, if they're a small indie team that doesn't have the knowledge or expertise then don't lean so heavily on the authenticity that it comes off feeling soulless when there are people like me that can tell. And if they really can't afford to cut back on the theme because of their story or whatever, then hire some goddamn full-time Chinese staff so they can check through everything! A consultant is not enough to check through all the small little details that makes up for the whole atmosphere of a game. Details matter. But obviously they didn't matter enough to these white devs. Maybe it's good enough for them and you. But it's not good enough for some of us who can spot the lack of care and attention. It screams "We don't care, just slap on some Chinese words".

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't tryna strawman, I still don't think it is soulless even in it's portrayal. Think it's a good discussion to have to show peoples desire for things like more thorough cultural research during development but to me, there's nothing really disrespectful there that should make anyone angry disappointed sure, but it's an indie studio w the limitations that comes w that. They are clearly more in tune with hong kong action flicks then they are the culture of China itself, but there is still soul that I think is on clear display even with little touches like the Old Boy hallway scene reference near the start of the game

If that is annoying I can understand it, but personally just feel like things like Sifu, Ghost of Tsuchima, Warrior (show), Shang Chi are a clear step in the right direction, and people can say what they want but Chinese people/the government in particular are incredibly critical when it comes to how they are represented to the point where it's almost discouraging. Shang Chi still hasn't even been approved in China, obviously some citizens are upset, but a lot of them are nationalistic and support that choice. For Disney who tried everything they possibly could to cater to China w that movie, why should they even try when it is 100X easier to get some fantasy land approved, or why should a game try when Chinese cancel culture can be so swift and they are such an important market. People in this thread actin like SloClap intentionally didn't give a shit and are therefore spitting on the culture and it's like, imo they clearly just saw it as more of a stylistic thing which is fair given that the game is a 3d brawler, and made some bad calls in what they prioritized. It is first and foremost a stylistic action game that references those films....That's really it, doesn't make that style soulless either. That was just the scope of what they wanted to put into the style. Whether it is entirely accurate or not they nail the aesthetic.
"It somehow implies that mechanics and gameplay are sacrosanct to games, as if that's all the medium is capable of—a point that we obviously know is not true."
is a quote that is kinda why I just don't really connect w the article. Yeah, sure that is not true, but you can't make a statement like that in a void. Game is an indie brawler at the end of the day, and even if some forms of the gaming medium has shown more competence in certain areas of cultural research such as Red Dead 2 (which is white people representing white people, inherently easier), they've also shown lack of competence in certain other areas. Sifu is arcade style game first where frankly gameplay and mechanics ARE king, and sentences like

"Yet, what sticks out most to me about Sifu is the sad and pitiful cycles of violence in the game...."
how is that entire paragraph relevant to the point at all? This author clearly wanted this game to be on some high art aspects incorporated in and it isn't, they wanted it to be more faithful and it isn't, but it never said it would be or even tried to be some intrinsic tale of revenge woven threw an intricate realistically designed backdrop of China. It's just a bit of a weird article even with the few good points I appreciate, and like I said I do think the translation errors in particular are a little embarrassing for Sloclap
You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you understand what I was trying to say. The cultural set dressing can be soulless while not indicting, in any way, the value of the gameplay or intent. I also have no reason to think the developers were malicious in any way, but the result is clearly offensive to a number of people. Just because you don't agree, doesn't make their outrage any less justified. And the size of the studio does not excuse anything, whether you hope it does or not. I'm happy that you're willing to engage in these discussions, but your goal seems to be to dismiss rather than learn or listen.

On top of that, some of the accusations in your second paragraph venture into very problematic language, so let's just agree to disagree and move on from that tangent.

Oct 7, 2021
You are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you understand what I was trying to say. The cultural set dressing can be soulless while not indicting, in any way, the value of the gameplay or intent. I also have no reason to think the developers were malicious in any way, but the result is clearly offensive to a number of people. Just because you don't agree, doesn't make their outrage any less justified. And the size of the studio does not excuse anything, whether you hope it does or not. I'm happy that you're willing to engage in these discussions, but your goal seems to be to dismiss rather than learn or listen.

On top of that, some of the accusations in your second paragraph venture into very problematic language, so let's just agree to disagree and move on from that tangent.
That's fair, and I do think I should be more sensitive with my language. My point is that I think people trying should be worked with, although I think the severity of messing up on simple translation is a little more severe then that.

My main point is I think they still nail the style even if it isn't accurate, and that I really don't see how the authors other opinion on things like violence, which they state is their biggest issue, have anything to do with it being soulless. It just sounds like they wanted it to be a game with an entirely different scope to me

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If that is annoying I can understand it, but personally just feel like things like Sifu, Ghost of Tsuchima, Warrior (show), Shang Chi are a clear step in the right direction,

Shang Chi and Warrior actually had Chinese disapora working on them. Sifu didn't. At most it did a half step and went to some consultants for advice.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what a game developed by minorities about white people (without consulting any white people) would be like. I'm genuinely curious if anyone would notice anything.

I'm confused by the intent of this post. Why are you wondering when many of these games exist? You even refuse to play a certain Series someone already mentioned. And if Metal Wolf Chaos and Earthbound are anything to go by, hell yes we noticed, but I personally don't think Americans would find those games offensive. Though I should note I'm only speaking for myself here.

Then on the Flip, there's Ghosts of Tsushima, which was well received enough in japan that that the lead devs was actually named honorary ambassadors. I'm pretty sure they did much more research than the Shifu devs however.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Read it.
Yeah, i think it is a fair critism. Hoping dev learn from this and next time they could do better (for now, maybe they fix the wrong CN text on the next patch too)

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by the intent of this post. Why are you wondering when many of these games exist? You even refuse to play a certain Series someone already mentioned. And if Metal Wolf Chaos and Earthbound are anything to go by, hell yes we noticed, but I personally don't think Americans would find those games offensive. Though I should note I'm only speaking for myself here.

Then on the Flip, there's Ghosts of Tsushima, which was well received enough in japan that that the lead devs was actually named honorary ambassadors. I'm pretty sure they did much more research than the Shifu devs however.
An important note about your point is that we're talking about how Americans living in the US would react. And, yea, I think white Americans, living in a country where they are the majority population (where the vast majority of content is created with them in mind, with them as the stars, with them as the heroes), they won't mind being portrayed as a caricature in a foreign game here or there. They might even think it quirky or a fun curiosity. But what about American expats? What about an American born child who's moved to Japan. How might they feel when they see that game and think that this is how their friends and neighbors think of them? It's an important consideration, though it doesn't have be the dominant one.

The same goes for Sifu and even more widely lauded games like Ghosts of Tsushima. Neither game is particularly offensive in a bubble. And we're going through the cycle again where someone quotes their Chinese wife or points to an article of how netizens in Japan think it's such an honor for them to be portrayed in a foreign game. One opinion does not supersede another, and the opinion of a Japanese American living in LA is allowed to be different than the opinion of a Japanese person living in Japan.

I'm also confused by the intent of RROCKMAN's EDIT:BobLoblaw's post.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An important note about your point is that we're talking about how Americans living in the US would react. And, yea, I think white Americans, living in a country where they are the majority population (where the vast majority of content is created with them in mind, with them as the stars, with them as the heroes), they won't mind being portrayed as a caricature in a foreign game here or there. They might even think it quirky or a fun curiosity. But what about American expats? What about an American born child who's moved to Japan. How might they feel when they see that game and think that this is how their friends and neighbors think of them? It's an important consideration, though it doesn't have be the dominant one.

The same goes for Sifu and even more widely lauded games like Ghosts of Tsushima. Neither game is particularly offensive in a bubble. And we're going through the cycle again where someone quotes their Chinese wife or points to an article of how netizens in Japan think it's such an honor for them to be portrayed in a foreign game. One opinion does not supersede another, and the opinion of a Japanese American living in LA is allowed to be different than the opinion of a Japanese person living in Japan.

I'm also confused by the intent of RROCKMAN's post

The bolded is exactly why I was confused my guy. There is no gotchas here. I know exactly that the context between Shifu and the games I mentioned are very different. That's why I didn't get why the poster was asking the question in the first place

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
The bolded is exactly why I was confused my guy. There is no gotchas here. I know exactly that the context between Shifu and the games I mentioned are very different. That's why I didn't get why the poster was asking the question in the first place
Sorry, I meant to say I was confused by BobLoblaw's question!

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

You keep mentioning them being an indie team, and that there's only so much they could do, etc. But I don't know why that's an excuse for this stuff? Most of what's being talked about might even be easier for a small team to adjust. And I'm not saying they need to be judged extremely harshly for those missteps, but... I don't know why them being a small team gets them out of having to do research? You're saying talking about how they're an indie studio with limitations like that's an obvious explanation for why this stuff would be like it is, but it isn't obvious to me.

If your idea for a game revolves around another culture like this, you're signing yourself up for that responsibility; it should be a priority to get it right, not something that should be an afterthought. If you don't have the capability to do it right (which to be clear - I don't believe that to be the case purely from a company size/funding point of view, given that they apparently did pay for consultants?), maybe you should try a different idea. It's not like they were forced to go with this concept, they chose to make it.

...also, I think you're really fixating on the "soulless" bit being a huge insult in a way that I don't think was intended. It might be a good idea to reread the article without thinking about the title; often an article's title isn't even picked by the writer.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017

One thing I would mention is, there are parodies, and then there are things played straight. Like Chinese devs made Banner of the Maid, about a bunch hot anime characters including Napoleon's sister. That's just not expected to be serious, and therefore feedback/critique is also more muted (not to say it didn't deserve some WTFs). Metal Wolf Chaos and Vanquish belong in the parody category too.

One example I can think of, and I think some journalist did bring it up recently, is Shin Godzilla. The main female protag is suppose to be Japanese descent but brought up from elite background in the US (3rd gen JPN american, last name Patterson, father is a senator), and has ambitions to be US president some day. But her accent and English, while not terrible, just does not fit the bill. Not offensive, just kind of weird and distracting. Had she just used Japanese like everyone else, no one would bat an eye. But, reviews from imdb and such definitely do mention it as a negative.

Sucker Punch's resource pool, more than likely, is several magnitudes larger. With the amount of consultants, the research trips to Tsushima, on top of SIE Japan's feedback, it would have been unlikely for the game to faceplant like Sifu.
And SoT had bad menu Japanese localization initially pointed out by twitter too.

Last edited: