ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...igger-problems-than-its-dc-search-1235221804/

Given the company's daunting challenges, it has become accepted wisdom at the highest levels of the industry that another deal waits in the wings for Warner Bros. Discovery. For reasons related to the complicated structure of that merger, no negotiations can happen until April 2024. But at that point, many industry observers believe that Comcast's Brian Roberts will make a long-awaited move, looking to combine NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery.

That deal would face some interesting antitrust issues but would give his company scale and a viable streaming service. "Obviously Peacock sucks," says one exec with knowledge of both companies. "There are some good synergies. I'm sure [Roberts] is licking his chops because the [WBD] stock is so low. And I think that's Zaslav's endgame. Get the place sold." (Roberts and NBCU CEO Jeff Shell met with Zaslav and board member John Malone during the Allen & Co. gathering in Sun Valley last July, but given the rules against plotting any combination, that was no doubt just a friendly get-together.)

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
serious question: How does discovery purposefully tanking HBO make it so that it is easier to sell WBD to comcast in the future?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I fully expect this to change and also for antitrust suits to circle over this prospect like a vulture

Oct 27, 2017
serious question: How does discovery purposefully tanking HBO make it so that it is easier to sell WBD to comcast in the future?
He's not tanking HBO though. He signed Bloys for another five years and is investing even more on his team. He just got rid of some redundancies on the HBO Max side and merged the rest of the team with HBO proper. Bloys got a bigger team and more money to work with.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fucking terrible to say the least. Consolidation of any sort is fucked up. More options/competition is always good.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Might have an outside chance at Paramount+.

Amazon, Disney and Apple would not give the faintest of shits.

Disney is a large company with a big cable channel portfolio. There isn't any reason to think they wouldnt be happy to park AEW on ESPN 2/News or something similar.

Apple or Amazon only work if they are really committed to their live programming on streaming. They are both getting pretty aggressive on live sports which is the thing they need to kill of terrestrial and cable tv once and for all

if MLS can pull a 9 figure deal for games almost no one watches I'm sure TK can get good money for a show that is putting up a million viewers or so consistently

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
The Disney/Fox thing is just gonna get worse isn't it. Like one corp owning 3+ major studios eventually…

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DC and Looney Toons being owned by Universal but the theme park rights staying with another company (Six Flags) would be hilarious...

And par for the course.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
WB getting tossed around like garbage. For someone who quite literally shaped Hollywood as it is know today, they don't deserve this shit.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
So the new major/minors would be:
  • [Top] Disney (w/ Fox)
  • [Top] Netflix
  • [Top] NBCUniversal (w/ WBDiscovery)
  • [Mid] Apple
  • [Mid] Amazon (w/ MGM)
  • [Mid] Sony
  • [Low] Paramount (w/ ViacomCBS)
  • [Low] Lionsgate
Someone going to eat up Lionsgate at some point and probably Paramount too.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Yes. That sale was always bad. But at least we get the X-Men in the MCU so all the terrible things that come of it will be ok

Yeah, and outside of a cartoon, Disney isn't doing shit with the IP.

But to the topic at hand, would Zaslav remain in leadership, if this does happen? If not, being sold to NBC can't be any worse than how things are currently being run? I have no idea how many of this works.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Zaslav gotta get the deal made before his boneitis kicks in...

qd9l71wpai941.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel like "make it lean, mean, and sellable"

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
So Zaslav has been preparing the company for a future sale?
Makes sense

I think there is a bit more to it, entertain me with this conspiracy. Zaslav started with NBC, specifically NBC TV IIRC and he left it for Discovery for 2006 and this sale provided it happens means that WBD could merge with NBCUniversal and if he gets the better end of the deal then he could be backdooring his way into co-running or maybe even running NBCUNIVERSAL/WBD just like he backdoored his way into WBD.

I assume Comcast also wants to spin-off NBCUniversal into a separate entity just like AT&T did with Warner

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little confused - If Disney was allowed to buy Fox, what anti-trust concerns would come from this?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It made them cashflow positive (with massive debt issues still, but that's better than cashflow negative + debt). For now we don't have evidence that it's actually "tanked" HBO.

Also, so what if Zaslav ticks off every single creative talent in Hollywood? Once he sells it, the bridges will be mended so it's not like that will tank the sale.

Feb 16, 2022
I think there is a bit more to it, entertain me with this conspiracy. Zaslav started with NBC, specifically NBC TV IIRC and he left it for Discovery for 2006 and this sale provided it happens means that WBD could merge with NBCUniversal and if he gets the better end of the deal then he could be backdooring his way into co-running or maybe even running NBCUNIVERSAL/WBD just like he backdoored his way into WBD.

I assume Comcast also wants to spin-off NBCUniversal into a separate entity just like AT&T did with Warner
Like some kind of twisted Count of Monte Christo