• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
There's a lot of things we do on a regular basis that we don't need to do, but are good to do regardless.

Personally, even if I lived in the woods and never interacted with other people I'd still shower every day because when I wake up in the morning, I physically feel disgusting until I've showered.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It is! Most people have it but never notice because it is incredibly minor. It's good you're learning new things.

Most people wash their ass every day to keep it at bay but some people are just slobs and cool with it marinating.

I definitely don't need to learn nasty. Also, it's not a spectrum. That's just cope for funky people in denial about their body odors.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
In this thread we can tell who on ResetEra is responsible for the infamous "gamer funk" at conventions.

"I don't shower everyday and I rewear my clothes multiple times before washing and I don't smell." Yeah dog, you do.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not showering does not mean you can't wash yourself. Especially your armpits and your private parts.

No you don't have to be in the shower every day. And no, you can't wash away sins, character flaws or guilt, like Lady Macbeth.

Some people are more smelly than others. So wash and use deodorant.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Depression really fucked with my shower percentages. I was often at once a day every day no matter what. But now... eh.

And no I'm not in public. Otherwise, I'd shower.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't imagine trying to have spontaneous sex and ain't bathed in 2-3 days…
Yeah, the poor person who is foolish enough to even begin going down on one of these people….

97a8cb25-1844-4f79-be1c-1b869bd35563_text.gif

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to me that apparently so many people in this thread regularly encounter people who smell very strongly. I can't say I'm ever really conscious of what people smell like unless they're wearing a really strong perfume or deodorant, and even so you just get used to it.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
in winter, and if i don't work, i don't shower every day, cause i don't really sweat and i'm staying at home so who cares

in summer though, it's every day, and even 2 times a day if i work, i sweat way too easily and feel gross all the time. Of course i'm just running water the second time on me

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's weird to me that apparently so many people in this thread regularly encounter people who smell very strongly. I can't say I'm ever really conscious of what people smell like unless they're wearing a really strong perfume or deodorant, and even so you just get used to it.

Seriously lol

Sometimes instead of showering I eat a pineapple pizza instead

And I don't tip the pizza guy
7323-m.jpg

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes instead of showering I eat a pineapple pizza instead

And I don't tip the pizza guy

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, I believe it. but damn do I love showering! I consider it a celebration of all our human progress up to this point. Hot water on demand is a flex on the natural world that I am more than happy to do daily.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Before this thread I didn't know just how aggressively defensive and other people shaming people get over showering one to two times per a day.

If you encounter person with actually bad hygiene manners do you talk with them about it, or do you just speak shit behind their back about them having bad hygiene manners? Something I started to wonder after 5 pages of talking shit about people who don't shower every day.
Sometimes we go in a group and talk to the smelly person at my old workplace. If that got too heated the manager and supervisor had the talk with them next. Seriously there are people that go to work in unwashed dress clothes and yes we can smell you.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I mean maybe I read it wrong but the guy only showered once a month but he still basically sponge bathes every day. That's not much different then anyone else. He is just conserving water.
Exactly but most people don't bother reading the OP.

And I bet most people who scream about unwashed assholes and stinking people don't wash their ass every time they take a shit, most people are fine wiping it with dry toilet paper until they don't see poop anymore, pretend that's "clean" and happily leave the stall. This board is also very american centric so I assume most people here are american and men shaving their armpits also seems to be uncommon in america. Guess what also makes you less stinky? Shaved armpits! But american men don't do this in large numbers because it's not a social norm despite it being more hygienic.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

And I bet most people who scream about unwashed assholes and stinking people don't wash their ass every time they take a shit, most people are fine wiping it with dry toilet paper until they don't see poop anymore, pretend that's "clean" and happily leave the stall. This board is also very american centric so I assume most people here are american and men shaving their armpits also seems to be uncommon in america. Guess what also makes you less stinky? Shaved armpits! But american men don't do this in large numbers because it's not a social norm despite it being more hygienic.

I made this point earlier, but all people are just going to say is "use soap" and "just take a shower everday" in response, lol. You're bringing too much complexity to the conversation. /s

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Every other day is fine for me, IF nothing made me sweat during the day. If I come home sweaty, then obviously another shower will be required.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't shower because of social norms or because I'm afraid of people thinking I stink.

I shower every day because I physically feel gross as hell if I don't

Yeah, this. I feel nice and refreshed after a shower and I'm in clean clothes.

Plus in the hotter months I need to shower at least once per day otherwise I smell. A wash in the sink just isn't the same. A couple of years ago I went on holiday to the Caribbean and I had to shower 2-3 times per day because it was so humid and any time I wasn't in a room with AC I was almost immediately drenched in sweat.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Work days i do it daily but when im off and not going out i will have a cheat day for myself
This is my mantra as well. If I know I'll be sitting at home all day, I might skip a day.
Thankfully I don't sweat much anyways.

This is fundamentally different during summer months. I shower 1-2 times a day if it's really hot.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I shower every other day.

Obvious exceptions if I've been doing anything strenuous that would cause me to sweat more than normal in a day, or it's just really fucking hot and I've been sweating, then I'll shower outside of that cycle.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar

As a Turk 2 things that are fundamental hygienic things in our culture are keeping pubic hair shaved and not wearing shoes in the house.

Both originate from Islam I think (I'm an Atheist myself), but have permeated the general secular culture so even non-religious Turks religiously follow these habits.

However showering every day isn't as fundamental outside of the Summer.

My speculation is because Turks are fewer generations removed from simple village life with no infrastructure, having a shower/bath was associated with going to the communal Hamam once in a while (Turkish Bath, like the Greco-Roman baths) so some of those old habits haven't adjusted for the modern World where virtually all Turks have running water now, compared to Americans who have had the luxury of running water for many more generations. Perhaps this, combined with the pubic hair thing, makes a difference in showering habits and norms?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Article is talking about a dude that ain't bathed in 12 years fam... This ain't someone taking a bath or a bucket bath instead. Like, how do you not get sticky after.....things happen?

I ain't read the whole article, but what OP quoted mentioned sink washing daily, and showing once monthly. I'm sure it's possible to stay clean that way, but, could never be for me.