• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Infrequent shower havers are just getting ahead of the Water Wars that will happen in a decade. See who's laughing when water is rationed! :P

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
The absolute worst talking point when this topic comes up is "but I'm on the side of SCIENCE man". Take a fucking shower Carl Sagan

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Yeah I've noticed these threads tend to have a weird anti-science slant to them. A general sense of "ignore what your dermatologist says, do what I say or we'll smell your reek from blocks away".

Add me to the list of people that very rarely actually smell others BO. Maybe I'm just blessed with a bad sense of smell, heh.

giphy.gif

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Lol should have prefaced with "I personally shower every day"!

I'm just saying I can't smell people that don't. Seems like surveys are saying around 60% of people shower every day, which means 40% don't. I interact with, I dunno, 50 people a day, meaning about 20 probably aren't daily showerers, and I don't noticeably smell any of them. I guess I'm blessed.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The attitude in this thread is still so weird. Like I think the big idea is if you're having at an-home day and don't wanna do fuck all with it, you'll fine skipping your shower.

Instead we get people assuming you're going out to parties or cons, or apparently fucking someone, or doing literally everything besides sitting on your butt and playing video games (like I know a bunch of y'all might if you're on this forum lol).

Do whatever you want. But the point is: You won't die or turn into Pig-Pen missing a shower for a few hours

PigPen_%28Peanuts%29.png

If you produce sweat easily or live in a warm/humid country, that's probably a different story. Showering for your own enjoyment and part of a routine is fine too.

But instead it's people getting personally offended because you smelt someone SO DISGUSTINGLY BAD it made you NAUSEOUS (a few of these responses in here...and I have never had this experience)

Lol should have prefaced with "I personally shower every day"!

I'm just saying I can't smell people that don't. Seems like surveys are saying around 60% of people shower every day, which means 40% don't. I interact with, I dunno, 50 people a day, and I don't noticeably smell any of them. I guess I'm blessed.

Yes! Like I've said it before... the worst I've smelt someone is in the middle of Summer and after a long day. But whatever, that's...biology at that point. SURELY THEY will shower at that point. But I can't say I've ever smelt a person REEK that wasn't (sorry to say) someone less fortunate. And I've used to go to former nerd capital E3. 🙄

Not to throw keep comparisons around but: I think I notice smokers way before BO.

Infrequent shower havers are just getting ahead of the Water Wars that will happen in a decade. See who's laughing when water is rationed! :P

I genuinely don't know this, but is this going to be a problem one day? Or at that point do we just use salt water for general cleaning (i.e. not drinking/eating).

Last edited:

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
I'm not getting into my bed with the funk of the day still on me. Also hygiene is kind of important if you're in a physical relationship with someone...

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just saying I can't smell people that don't. Seems like surveys are saying around 60% of people shower every day, which means 40% don't. I interact with, I dunno, 50 people a day, meaning about 20 probably aren't daily showerers, and I don't noticeably smell any of them. I guess I'm blessed.

HIghly doubt that. This isn't evenly distributed. How much of these 40% are people who can't shower every day, such as homeless people or families without access to basic sanitation?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why so much resistance to shower???? Wash your ass ffs

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
This topic comes up a lot here.

As long as you don't smell like the kid in high school. The guy who you could smell halfway across the building. Maybe hyperbole, but you knew if he was coming around a corner.

Don't be that guy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped washing and conditioning my hair every single shower and noticed an improvement. Bodywash daily.

Unless you have super oily hair, or are doing something daily that causes you to sweat so much that your head is soaking, you shouldn't wash your hair with soap more than every 2 - 3 days.

why are so many people crusading against showers

what do you people have against bathing

I shower, but baths are fucking gross. They made sense before showers were a thing, and they were fine in streams or lakes, but not in a container. The only time I would intentionally take a bath is after I've already taken a shower, and that's just a waste of water. If you don't actually have a shower, then a bath is your only option and better than nothing...but still gross.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Actually, it might not be. I live in an apartment, and have a neighbor that you can smell coming from about twenty feet away. Any time he opens his door, the entire hallway reeks of body odor. It gets so bad sometimes that when he actually walks past me, there have been a few times where my gag reflex started acting up.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actually, it might not be. I live in an apartment, and have a neighbor that you can smell coming from about twenty feet away. Any time he opens his door, the entire hallway reeks of body odor.

Maybe they need prescription strength deodorant.

And I dunno, I've lived in a "big city"; you tend to smell people on the street a lot. I just move on; it's not my business why someone smells if they're not a friend or relative I can talk to about it. If it bugs me, it's maybe for a few seconds -- I'll live.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suspect people who are fervent showers and are hellbent being as hygienic as possible also dump a gallon of stinky cologne or perfume on themselves.

Spagward

Apr 24, 2024
I generally agree with this. I only shower daily when I'm doing a daily exercise routine. It's simple enough to only shower every other day as long as you sponge off, so I guess you could say I'm still washing. Started doing this because my well was not recharging well and it has massively curbed my water use.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't imagine being able to smell someone's balls from across the room and thinking "boy, they must have really healthy skin!"

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here saying we don't smell other people who don't wash daily

Yes we fucking do, we just aren't rude enough to tell them they fucking stink and should take a wash.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really understand. Is the definition of shower used here to mean the use of soap/shampoo/etc??

Because it goes on to say "He sink washes daily, using a cloth to clean his entire body" and I mean, that's a shower right there. That's a person cleaning themselves with water.

So really this is about the method of bathing oneself, which everyone seems to agree is good and does it (and also water conservation). The article is saying we don't have to use the physical shower every time and that there are other methods to bathe.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Literally just got out of the shower. Doing my part to not set off other people's gag reflex.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I train every day, some sessions literally putting out the best part of a litre or more of sweat.

Whilst I'm cautious to not waste water (not least because I'm on a meter and it costs me a fortune)... I'm showering every day, thanks.

Spagward

Apr 24, 2024
I don't really understand. Is the definition of shower used here to mean the use of soap/shampoo/etc??

Because it goes on to say "He sink washes daily, using a cloth to clean his entire body" and I mean, that's a shower right there. That's a person cleaning themselves with water.

So really this is about the method of bathing oneself, which everyone seems to agree is good and does it (and also water conservation). The article is saying we don't have to use the physical shower every time and that there are other methods to bathe.
I interpret "shower" as washing the entire body with a continuously running source of water. A sponge bath or washing just your hair in the sink wouldn't count.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Stinky Era trying it's hardest to defend not showering, the weird holier than thou mental games of saying shit like.
*Yeah well ha bet you twice a day people don't ACTUALLY wash yourselves, you don't wash your clothes and that's why you smell. You can't smell people who haven't showered!* Like playing politics with conservatives.
Pretty rich saying the unwashed masses are the ones being holier than thou.

No way don't assume we just as nasty as these barely bathing people lmao. Bend the fuck down and wash your legs, back of your knees, calves, feet.

Like, what?!? I bathe and exfoliate all over. How do some of yall function?
You're one of the leadership figures of the daily-or-die shower zealots, of course *you're* doing it properly. Not necessarily the case with the rest of your flock.

I feel like shit if I don't shower in the morning. My wife showers maybe every 3 or so days and I've never thought she smelled bad or anything. So just depends on the person. People getting SO UPSET either way here should chill and eat an ice cream cone.
You're just used to her smell and don't realize she's actually making your life worse. At least according to some of the galaxy brain takes in this thread.

I couldn't imagine being able to smell someone's balls from across the room and thinking "boy, they must have really healthy skin!"
I can't imagine smelling someone from across a room and thinking "Wow, a lot goes wrong in two days!" and not "that fucker hasn't showered in two weeks".

Yes we fucking do, we just aren't rude enough to tell them they fucking stink and should take a wash.
A whole thread full of incredibly polite bloodhounds who can smell past someone's deodorant and tell that it's been 36 hours since a shower and not 24. Sounds incredibly believable. I'm convinced.

See, the mistake you made was reading the OP. That's a light suggestion at best and completely unnecessary for general discourse. This isn't a thread about "Is showering the only way to clean yourself, and is a water conserving bird bath sufficient?", it's a thread about debating the exact second past 24 hours that your disgusting pig manure scent ratchets up to 11 while you burn the sinuses out of the good natured people around you who won't tell you that you smell because they're busy gagging on your onion and garlic scent trying not to violently puke all over themselves.

Feb 18, 2022
For the record I shower everyday yes there's reports you don't need to but I'm sorry 3 mins a day to remove bad smells is worth it.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

I mean, it's ultimately semantics.

We live in different climates and do different things with our days.

I remember in college we were often in and out of each other's dorm rooms and it was highly likely you caught someone before they showered that day. Which sometimes they would admit to or ask if they smelled and it was nothing because they didn't do anything that day. But that's me speaking as someone that stayed in an air conditioned dorm during cooler months. Someone more active that worked out that same day or worked outside would have a different experience.

But generally speaking, you can skip a day without it being a big deal if you're just chilling in close proximity. People regularly get away with just keeping a toothbrush, change of clothes and deodorant in an overnight bag (realizing now that my friends really overshare with their hookups) and just go to work and then they're telling me this all after the fact still having not showered for a day.

So I don't know why we keep going in these circles.

Obviously when we get to multiple days, it's a different story.

I'm not defending people that are like 3 days or less, but are we really gonna act like if someone only showers 5 or 6 days a week, you'd notice. The absolutism just feels like it's meant to bait people.

Personally, I'm starting to workout more so daily is necessary for me. When I was more of a homebody, I'd easily skip a Saturday or Sunday if I was doing nothing that whole weekend.

Last edited:

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Showers are nice. Can't imagine not wanting to take one at least once a day. Like, why do that to yourself if you can help it? Love yourself and shower daily Era. Please. Join the flock and be a nice pure sheep with me.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The absolutism just feels like it's meant to bait people.

point-up-emoji-1283x2048-f5vxo41r.png

I think it's less the idea of showering and more the bizarre attitude people have. Like, you'd think people on this forum (especially lol) are going out every day, sweating every day, going to cons, and hooking up every single night (in which case I'd HOPE even non-daily showerers can see why these are important times to do so).

My mum has mobility issues and has difficulty getting up stairs let alone getting her showering daily (it's unfortunate, but she's had to resort to "the sink method" or using baby wipes). Not sure what noses y'all have, she smells like her bed sometimes, but people here saying "I can smell BO across the hall" just sounds incredibly hyperbolic, uppity, and presumptuous that people's health is 100%.

Keep yourselves clean, and if you're active it's a good thing (and again, especially when people sweat differently or live in different climates that might necessitate it). But I think it's very nose-in-the-air to assume everyone can and should have the exact same habits even when freaking science is saying "it's okay to skip for some hours". 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe we are arguing about fucking showering

bro this place is too much sometimes