• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You're one of the leadership figures of the daily-or-die shower zealots, of course *you're* doing it properly. Not necessarily the case with the rest of your flock.

It's a sad state of affairs that bathing daily requires "leadership". But someone gotta learn y'all some hygiene.

Ain't nothing zealot-like about bathing once a day. And if you don't want to, that's fine. Just don't pretend after that 24 hour period the funk ain't stacking exponentially.

That's where we disagree. Cause if someone's perspective is "Meh, I live alone, ain't trying to smash no time soon. Got nowhere to be. I'm just gonna let it do what it do for "X" days. Because yea I may smell a bit butt whatever." I am totally fine with that if someone just wants to be in bum mode for a bit.

It's the "I don't NEED to wash my ass regularly because my genetics are superior!" argument that gets the side eye from me.

Be funky. Be free. But don't lie to yourself, cause that'll affect me. Not really, but that mentality hits my nose on the train.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
Are there actual people that dont shower everyday when they have access to such needs ? At least take a ho bath..gahh damn

Jpo1991

Jan 19, 2023
I cant stand myself when I don't shower two times in a day, no way that I could stand showering one time in a week.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This should be a faction in Fallout

5894-A9-E0-B671-4-CC4-81-BC-E26-C62-F0-D25-C.jpg

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Health.Harvard.edu said:
While there is no ideal frequency, experts suggest that showering several times per week is plenty for most people (unless you are grimy, sweaty, or have other reasons to shower more often).

For most and plenty often, skipping a shower for a day isn't gonna do harm. It really will depend on the person.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I like how advocation of the daily shower makes you a sheep.
Yep, it's as logical as how there's zero nuance between showering every second day and being a farm animal ruining lives.

This should be a faction in Fallout
It would fit right in with the writing quality in Fallout 4.

It's a sad state of affairs that bathing daily requires "leadership". But someone gotta learn y'all some hygiene.

Ain't nothing zealot-like about bathing once a day. And if you don't want to, that's fine. Just don't pretend after that 24 hour period the funk ain't stacking exponentially.

That's where we disagree. Cause if someone's perspective is "Meh, I live alone, ain't trying to smash no time soon. Got nowhere to be. I'm just gonna let it do what it do for "X" days. Because yea I may smell a bit butt whatever." I am totally fine with that if someone just wants to be in bum mode for a bit.

It's the "I don't NEED to wash my ass regularly because my genetics are superior!" argument that gets the side eye from me.

Be funky. Be free. But don't lie to yourself, cause that'll affect me. Not really, but that mentality hits my nose on the train.
I don't disagree with showering daily, and I enjoy showering and being clean. I'm not advocating for filth here lol, I shower every day that I work, or work out, which is pretty much every day except for the odd lazy weekend day. It's the hyperbolic jackassery in here judging people who shower every second day, or wash their hair twice a week that I take issue with. There's a large middle area here between people posting "wash your ass" ad nauseum and people who are stereotypical super smash bros tourney people or yugioh convention people lol.

I'm also not agreeing with anyone who says "I don't need to wash regularly because my genes are superior". The types of people who you and others have mentioned (and I have worked with) who need HR intervention because their hygiene is so staggeringly poor can't be defended.

I do think there's a huge difference between someone who doesn't exercise and work up a sweat, working at home regularly, etc., showering every second day and the type of person who is a real life version of Pig Pen from Peanuts. The people I've worked with who have smelled so bad that they made my eyes water being in a room with them weren't people who showered every second day. They were people who probably got paid more frequently than they showered (and we were getting paid biweekly).

And yet again, I get ignored when people who can't shower everyday based on legitimate health reasons.

Absolutism's really bottleneck the conversation.
That's because there's no nuance in discussing hygiene with people who just want to drive by post "WaSh YoUr AsS" after reading a thread title and not an OP. The general sentiment in this thread is it's ok to stink if you're unhoused or having hard times, etc., but that's conditional on you looking homeless, and not having coworkers you might offend with your smell (while they talk shit about you behind your back).

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
And yet again, I get ignored when people who can't shower everyday based on legitimate health reasons.

You're not being ignored, most people (I would hope) would agree with you. If someone has medical reasons that makes performing certain daily activities difficult, that is understable. People are talking about the average joe/jane that is just like fuck showering because of xyz.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not doable for certain people with skin conditions. In fact, less washing is commonly recommended to alleviate certain conditions as the most effective solution.

It probably should be done less often. About one in ten Americans suffer from eczema. But for people who are physically active, do physical labor or live in hot climates that probably isn't feasible.

But ableism is unacceptable, no matter what the reason.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's as logical as how there's zero nuance between showering every second day and being a farm animal ruining lives.
Part of the lack of nuance is a cultural backlash. Plenty of minorities on this forum who grew up with daily bathing routines due to the pervasive belief that white people found us smelly and disgusting.

So now we see largely white folks going like "I don't shower for a few days, don't wash my hands after shitting, and also walk around the city streets barefoot" and all other manner of tomfoolery, and we're not supposed to clown the irony?

You all will live with a lack of nuance.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO

I hear you, my grandma just had surgery and cannot shower near as often as she'd like. She still wasn't a daily, which most of her time is spent at home retired and I don't think she's ever smelled bad around me lol

On the flip side I sweat so easily, especially while I'm sleeping, so the morning shower is necessary for me to even begin feeling alright. And I still have my "I'm playing games all day and not going outside" days where I don't

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am not gonna shower today in protest. I will exist among you all. Be afraid. I shall start with stinking up the mall. Muahahahaha.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
If you don't shower before bed then you're surely filling your bed with the day's dirt and will need to wash your sheets more often instead.

Never mind once a day, I shower twice a day lol, very quick cold one in the morning for a wake up and then proper one in the evening to wash the day off, especially given I exercise every day, I'm sweaty after doing a run and/or going to the gym and I like to wash it off.

But frankly I don't care what anybody else does, good for the environment if you never wash I guess, but nothing worse when you can literally taste the body odour of someone when you have to stand near them.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Showers sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

I first became aware of this during my first shower as an adult, when I was finished I had a profound sense of fatigue, and a feeling of emptiness followed

Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly, loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred Era

People sense my power, and they seek the life essence, I do not avoid people Era, but I do deny them my essence.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that Mammoth Jones is doing wonderful work in this thread.

Part of the lack of nuance is a cultural backlash. Plenty of minorities on this forum who grew up with daily bathing routines due to the pervasive belief that white people found us smelly and disgusting.

So now we see largely white folks going like "I don't shower for a few days, don't wash my hands after shitting, and also walk around the city streets barefoot" and all other manner of tomfoolery, and we're not supposed to clown the irony?

I don't think there's a lot of people here who are ready to have this conversation.

But as usual, you're right.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I usually shower everyday, but the few times a year I find myself in the hospital with my port accessed for IV antibiotics showering becomes a real hassle. Luckily, they have cleansing wipes that they can warm up to let me wipe myself down so I'm not just lying in bed in my stink for days on end. If I really do want a shower we have to go through a whole process of covering the bandage over the IV site and I have to position myself under the water to get the least amount of water on the wrap as possible, it's a big "to do".

Jobiensis

Oct 28, 2017
of course you don't literally need to go into a shower stall every day. But you really should wash. I know someone that claims she doesn't need to shower every day, and yes she needs to shower more. Also had to talk to an employee twice about hygiene. People generally aren't going to tell you that you stink until it gets really bad. And skipping a shower once because life interrupted isn't going to make you a stinky pig. But the people that tend to skip hygiene on washing themselves also tend to skip hygiene on their clothes and teeth.
I need a daily shower in order to wake up. I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but if I'm cycling I absolutely need a shower.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

You are right as usual

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Can't be angry with the person in the article. At least the mention that they wash every day so they do take a bath, they just don't use the shower. The problem is the people that don't clean themselves for days and want to claim that they don't smell.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Instead we get people assuming you're going out to parties or cons, or apparently fucking someone, or doing literally everything besides sitting on your butt and playing video games (like I know a bunch of y'all might if you're on this forum lol).

Do whatever you want. But the point is: You won't die or turn into Pig-Pen missing a shower for a few hours
Yeah, obviously things like gym days or anything gross means a shower even if I've already had one that morning. But in general, I'm a work-from-home engineer living in a clean home with central heating and air. There's just not that much happening to me on most days that warrants the "omg it's been 8 hours since my last shower, better shower again" feeling.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah also I grew up in a country whose most basic and pervasive pre-European invasion tradition is bathing daily, or generally living near water. Which... is also the case for many peoples who have cultures that had daily cleaning with water as an established religious or cultural ritual -- Japanese (maybe any place with Buddhist influence but I'm not quite sure), the Muslim world in general, Native Americans -- before Europeans came in. So hearing "I don't bathe every day and neither should you... because SCIENCE" gets a special kind of side eye from me.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
The science is clear on the topic.

Y'all Americans can be crazy absolutists all you want, but showering daily is unnecessary and unhealthy. But you do you.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest question for me is why so many people in this thread seems borderline obsessed with smelling peoples asses. It's freaking me out.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah also I grew up in a country whose most basic and pervasive pre-European invasion tradition is bathing daily, or generally living near water. Which... is also the case for many peoples who have cultures that had daily cleaning with water as an established religious or cultural ritual -- Japanese (maybe any place with Buddhist influence but I'm not quite sure), the Muslim world in general, Native Americans -- before Europeans came in. So hearing "I don't bathe every day and neither should you... because SCIENCE" gets a special kind of side eye from me.
That's kind of a weird understated part of the appeals to culture, specifically the ones criticizing this as western or American imperialism; those are often the people who aren't bathing as regularly.

Unless it's meant to be, like, Brazilian cultural imperialism.

Similarly, you've got people claiming that some people don't have the genetic need to bath every day, but are those actually the people who don't do so? I can't take it seriously if you're going to use the Japanese as evidence that you don't have to clean yourself as often when in Japan traditionally shower before a bath.

Last edited:

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest question for me is why so many people in this thread seems borderline obsessed with smelling peoples asses. It's freaking me out.

I'm not here to speak on the proclivities of people in the bedroom, but if someone isn't clean, they have a tendency to smell like ass.

I don't think anyone in here is saying they're into smelling ass so much that they don't want to deal with people who smell LIKE ass in public.

m3ksoDh.gif
See... this is why yall's anime con's or whatever be smelling so damned unfortunate

I have been to one con. ONE.

The smells were... something I'll never forget.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I shower everyday but I don't wash my hair everyday. The longest I've gone without a shower was a little over a month when I went on a very long canoe trip. The first 3 days were hell, but you eventually stop caring about not being fully clean.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Twice a day here. Only get my hair wet in one of those though.

I do think it's possible to get away with not showering every day. If you're living through a drought or not leaving the house, you can maintain decent hygiene going every other day or so. Deodorant, wet wipes, and maybe witch hazel oil or some other kind of antibacterial could cover you inbetween.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

The odor emanates from ya'lls funky unwashed greasy asses and into rooms. Especially rooms with limited ventilation.

I repeat, no one has to stick their nose literally on someone to catch a whiff. Human. Odor. Travels.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the convention and festival argument is so dumb. People smell like shit at those places a lot of the time. If there was easy access to showers there people would do it as well.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Think it also depends on your country. There's not much reason to shower daily in a country like the Netherlands. It rains 90% of the time and it's autumn from november till June. You hardly get sweaty

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much reason to shower daily in a country like the Netherlands. It rains 90% of the time and it's autumn from november till June.
If there was anything to make me want to move, over half a year's worth of autumn would be it.

I'd still shower daily.