Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
664f1a9424000054002d19df.jpeg

Sorry boss, I've got scorpion today :(
Rishi Sunak's rant about so-called "sick note Britain" drew the ire of doctors, political experts, and even the Royal College of Nursing earlier this year.

So imagine how the PM might have felt in Ancient Egypt when workers could sign off for the day for reasons like "brewing beer" or "wife bleeding."

At least, those were some of the sickies inscribed onto a 1250 BC Egyptian "ostracon" (broken-off stone) housed in the British Museum.

What's the stone?

The ostracon, labelled 'Year 40' of Ramses II, is inscribed with New Egyptian hieratic script and lists the days by season and "date" (for instance, "month 3 of summer, day 20″).

"It provides a workmen's register for 280 days of the year," the British Museum writes. "A list of forty names is arranged in columns on the right edge of each side, followed to the left by dates written in black in a horizontal line."

"Above most dates is a word or phrase in red, indicating the reason why this individual was absent from work on that date," they added.

The most common causes for taking the day off were (predictably) illness, though "the next most frequent is being away with one's superior doing private work for him, a practice that was not forbidden if done in moderation."
mid_00514988_001.jpg

What are some other reasons to skip work?

"Brewing beer" comes up a lot, as does taking the day to embalm relatives (nope, not only pharaohs were mummified).

A lot of workers were also permitted time off based on their wives or daughters "bleeding." Presumably, they had to pick up some slack at home.

Poor Huynefer had to take month 3 of Summer, day 3 off due to "suffering with his eye," but at least he wasn't Seba on month 4 of Spring, day 17, when "the scorpion bit him."

Amenemwia had to skip work on month 2 of Winter, day 16 because he was "strengthening the door," meanwhile, and Aapehti had to ditch the crew on month 1 of Winter, day 14 for "offering to the God."

"Libating" ― drinking a ceremonial tipple in honour of a God or ancestor ― appears more than once. And odd jobs, like "fetching the stone for the scribe" and "with Kohns making remedies," appear too.

My personal fave, though? Penduauu, on month 1 of Spring, day 14, was simply "drinking with Khonsu."

You can view the entire list by checking out the British Museum's transcript.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Wait, the Egyptians got days off for scorpion bites? I really need a better benefits package at my job 😒

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
I always love these glimpses of past civilisations' ordinary day-to-day lives.

"drinking with Khonsu". Hats off to him/her for being so upfront about it.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
"It provides a workmen's register for 280 days of the year,"
so ancient Egypt had roughly the same work week schedule we have now then? 280 days a year versus 261. Not far off. Huh. I wonder what their annual vacation time looked like

Edit: or does this not reflect the number of work days for them in a calendar year?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
Taking off work to brew beer? I'm with it.

Do we have any ancient Egyptian beer recipes on record?
Not exact recipes no. The production of beer in ancient Egypt is based on the interpretation of artistic depictions in tombs and the modern practice of making bouza, which is a beer produced by Nubian and Coptic populations in modern Egypt.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I love hearing about things like this - sometimes history seems so far away that it doesn't seem real, but even though it was thousands of years ago people were still living lives like people are now, we're not that different and seeing things like this reminds me of that.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I love these kinds of slice-of-life discoveries! It's sort of funny to me to see the dual use of black-red script, similar to administrative markings used today.
Also Drinking with Khonsu would be a great movie title.

Oct 27, 2017
I love these kinds of slice-of-life discoveries! It's sort of funny to me to see the dual use of black-red script, similar to administrative markings used today.
yeah sometimes people treat ancestors as they larger than life stoic people when most of them were just regular dudes with the same humor, struggles and pleasures

Donwx

Oct 1, 2018
Texas
I love hearing about things like this - sometimes history seems so far away that it doesn't seem real, but even though it was thousands of years ago people were still living lives like people are now, we're not that different and seeing things like this reminds me of that.
Yep, I completely agree.👍

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Same. Realizing people thousands of years ago just lived their lives much the same as we do is amazing.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Oh I love this.

I'm sure it exists in some cases, but I'd love to see more books/ebooks that just have the scans of these things on one page and the translations on the other. I've found one Japanese ghost book that got translated that way, but I haven't seen anything else, and there's SO MUCH of this old writing that survives.

Efreeti

Jul 5, 2019
Imagine if they had more day offs than we do now
I thought I read that in most societies the workers had more time off than we do now. A lot of changes the past 400 years were thought to be inhumane, then pushed through anyway to make profits. Not that I want to go back, but... we should demand more time off.

Edit love these sick reasons, I want to make beer too.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
Oh I love this.

I'm sure it exists in some cases, but I'd love to see more books/ebooks that just have the scans of these things on one page and the translations on the other. I've found one Japanese ghost book that got translated that way, but I haven't seen anything else, and there's SO MUCH of this old writing that survives.

yeah sometimes people treat ancestors as they larger than life stoic people when most of them were just regular dudes with the same humor, struggles and pleasures

Yep, I completely agree.👍

Same. Realizing people thousands of years ago just lived their lives much the same as we do is amazing.
I think you would all enjoy the following book. It follows and examines the lives of the general populace through their own writings and musings.

91BWJFu1wTL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
So a spreadsheet to track employee attendance? I wonder if they were tracking shrinkage rates too.