Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was NOT prepared for how hard it'd go. That's damn amazing!!!!! Do they sell these? Whos the artist?
Spiderverse stays having the best visuals

OP
OP
Neha

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
I was NOT prepared for how hard it'd go. That's damn amazing!!!!! Do they sell these? Whos the artist?
Spiderverse stays having the best visuals
Where. Can. I. Buy. This?!
I dunno if this site is legit but I don't think it's official so the quality could be bad Idk
rockatee.com

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Wukong Style Poster - Rockatee

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Chinese Journey to the West Edition Premium Matte Poster Immerse yourself in the vibrant and captivating world of Spider-Man with our exclusive “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse – Chinese Journey to the West Edition” premium matte poster. This unique...

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I've been meaning to get into it for a long time now, but what's the best way to experience journey to the west? The original book? An adaptation?

I'm open to anything

The novel, or the 1986 Chinese TV series, is always the BEST. If you find them difficult to enjoy at first, there are different approaches you might take.

The most accessible entrance point is the 2015 3D animation Monkey King: Hero is Back.However, the plot deviated from the source material.

youtu.be

Monkey King: Hero is Back Official Trailer 1 (2016) - Jackie Chan, James Hong Movie HD

Subscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgSubscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnLike us on...

Another accesible entry point is 1964 animation Uproar In Heaven. It is regarded as the best animated film in Chinese history and was a favorite of Miyazaki Hayao. This covers about 10% of the original novel. Its a "hero origin" story.

youtu.be

【Chinese / English subtitle】Uproar in Heaven (1964)(【國語英字】大鬧天宮(1964))

Uproar in Heaven (1964, Shanghai Arts and Files Studio)Adapted from Journey to the westsource: http://www.bilibili.com/video/av84784/original source: Origina...

Stay away from every Journey to the West live action films made by mainland China since 2000. They are all trash.

Last edited:

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Oh okay my bad

It was part of a series of posters showcasing his different suits from the movie but done in Chinese style. That one as mentioned above was for the Glider suit.

Others:
Night Monkey suit from the movie:
fmVXB2o.png

Iron Spider suit:
JKV1Xv3.png

Pretending to be a shishi in his uh DIY suit:
VcqiyyG.png

And:
YIgEtYN.png

Is there a hi res version of these cause.......GODDAMN!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The novel, or the 1986 Chinese TV series, is always the BEST. If you find them difficult to enjoy at first, there are different approaches you might take.

The most accessible entrance point is the 2015 3D animation Monkey King: Hero is Back.However, the plot deviated from with the source material.

youtu.be

Monkey King: Hero is Back Official Trailer 1 (2016) - Jackie Chan, James Hong Movie HD

Subscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgSubscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnLike us on...

Another accesible entry point is 1964 animation Uproar In Heaven. It is regarded as the best animated film in Chinese history and was a favorite of Miyazaki Hayao. This covers about 10% of the original novel. Its a "hero origin" story.

youtu.be

【Chinese / English subtitle】Uproar in Heaven (1964)(【國語英字】大鬧天宮(1964))

Uproar in Heaven (1964, Shanghai Arts and Files Studio)Adapted from Journey to the westsource: http://www.bilibili.com/video/av84784/original source: Origina...

Stay away from every Journey to the West live action films made by mainland China since 2000. They are all trash.

thanks a lot, i'll probably watch the 86 serie if it covers everything

Jun 24, 2019
Dope!

Anyone got the name of the artist?

Sometime the poster are interesting, like X-men dark phoenix
ypztKEF.jpg

Venom
bcrq3ccfaht41.jpg

Fantastic beast movie
c9e863a66101421c858689d9562998c9.jpg

Mylwhbg.jpeg

8MofmVX.jpeg

RDLBOXd.jpeg

muGL1N7.jpeg

TNzU2B1.jpeg

2xHCJEx.jpeg

Spiderman into spiderverse
ed6a32758bfd48719fc19570baf0ac21.jpg

Spiderman far from home
spider-man-far-from-home-poster.jpg

Godzilla king of the monster
godzilla-king-monsters-poster-2.jpg

godzilla-king-monsters-poster-3.jpg

Spirit away
spirited-away-poster-2-zao-dao.jpg

spirited-away-poster-2-huang-hai.jpg

Thor ragnarok
restmb_jhidxmake.php

Beauty and Beast
restmb_jhidxmake.php

Guardian of the Galaxy
restmb_jhidxmake.php

Love the infusion of East Asian mytholology and aesthetic!

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
It was great until the spider-man with the telecaster made everything look dorky. It's really distracting. Like that fucking guy at the party who can't read the room. Asshole!

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to get into it for a long time now, but what's the best way to experience journey to the west? The original book? An adaptation?

I'm open to anything
Not the version I'd recommend for a serious reading of the legend, but I'm posting the Japanese 70's live action version it to brighten everyone's day with an intro song that 100% slaps (after the 1-minute narration of our hero's origin story).
"Born from an egg on a mountain top,
The punkiest monkey that ever popped"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SUoHmpRdM
Here's one that works with embedding...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88y4ttqaW6U

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm open to anything
I've also been meaning to read it forever and ultimately decided to get a copy of The Monkey and the Monk. Anthony Yu's translation of the original is still considered the gold standard in English, but it's four volumes and like ~2000 pages, because that original story is LONG. Eventually Yu was convinced to put together an abridged version, which cuts it to ~25% of the original but maintains the spirit as best is possible, and that's what that is.

To me, that seems like the best balance between accurate and readable. In particularly it keeps a lot of the poetry, which seems pretty central to the vibe of the original.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay any price to have a framed version of this in the crib.

And lol at niggas insinuating the monkey king is meant to be an insult here. Get y'all asses back to school, man.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect it to go this hard, but goddamn do I appreciate that it did. Looks fuckin' awesome

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Sometime the poster are interesting, like X-men dark phoenix
ypztKEF.jpg

Venom
bcrq3ccfaht41.jpg

Fantastic beast movie
c9e863a66101421c858689d9562998c9.jpg

Mylwhbg.jpeg

8MofmVX.jpeg

RDLBOXd.jpeg

muGL1N7.jpeg

TNzU2B1.jpeg

2xHCJEx.jpeg

Spiderman into spiderverse
ed6a32758bfd48719fc19570baf0ac21.jpg

Spiderman far from home
spider-man-far-from-home-poster.jpg

Godzilla king of the monster
godzilla-king-monsters-poster-2.jpg

godzilla-king-monsters-poster-3.jpg

Spirit away
spirited-away-poster-2-zao-dao.jpg

spirited-away-poster-2-huang-hai.jpg

Thor ragnarok
restmb_jhidxmake.php

Beauty and Beast
restmb_jhidxmake.php

Guardian of the Galaxy
restmb_jhidxmake.php

The biggest takeaway here is that North America needs to seriously step up its poster game.

These are ELITE

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The artist is Huang Hai who has been caught plagiarizing before unfortunately. I would say there is no doubt that James Jean's "Everything Everywhere All At Once" poster was a heavy "inspiration" on this.. but there's no doubting that the end result is gorgeous.

Huang Hai previously was caught plagiarizing Nico Delort when they did the poster for Evangelion 3.0+1.0: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...s-for-chinese-movie-poster-plagiarism/.193854 (corrected link)

It doesn't look like they actually lifted any content directly like they did with Nico's piece but that cloud will hang over any work they do going forward. Here is the James Jean piece this is almost certainly influenced by:

fwmzNrodBFNZW56SHw4sX8mdKqHNeo70d1WQpCluYEw.jpg

Last edited:

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You ain't lying, wow. That's the best Superhero poster I can think of.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The artist is Huang Hai who has been caught plagiarizing before unfortunately. I would say there is no doubt that James Jean's "Everything Everywhere All At Once" poster was a heavy "inspiration" on this.. but there's no doubting that the end result is gorgeous.

Huang Hai previously was caught plagiarizing Nico Delort when they did the poster for Evangelion 3.0+1.0: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ologizes-for-chinese-movie-poster-plagiarism/

It doesn't look like they actually lifted any content directly like they did with Nico's piece but that cloud will hang over any work they do going forward. Here is the James Jean piece this is almost certainly influenced by:

fwmzNrodBFNZW56SHw4sX8mdKqHNeo70d1WQpCluYEw.jpg
Other than lots of stylized characters circling around the center I don't really see much in common between this and the poster in the OP. I might be missing something and I certainly don't think plagiarists deserve the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I just don't see anything that seems all that close between the two images.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Other than lots of stylized characters circling around the center I don't really see much in common between this and the poster in the OP. I might be missing something and I certainly don't think plagiarists deserve the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I just don't see anything that seems all that close between the two images.
Like I said, I just think it's clear Huang took the inspiration from it. The James Jean piece is very unique as movie posters go and is quite recent, so the timing feels suspect. There's no way Huang wouldn't have been familiar with it given Jean's level of importance in the field as well. The Huang piece is a very sharp design and in general I love his work. Just a cloud that will always hang over him.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually the best movie poster I have ever seen period. I'd hang that on my wall without a second thought.

If that's just "one of" to a lot of you I'm kinda jealous cause I haven't really seen much that compares.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Beautiful.There's so many things going on in this poster that I need to sit with it for some time to see everything.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The Venom poster has Yoshitaka Amano's vibe.

Seriously others much better than the usual red blue orange posters.

Bengraven